weekly Phil the Juggler's 2016_16 - Week 7 - Danger(ous)

Hi, excellent take on the theme of captive she does indeed look quite scared, really like the placing of her in the frame too

Quality images. Perfect

Many thanks!

Great shot Phil and excellent explaination of how you set it up. (y)

Thanks - it was a simple lighting set up, but seemed to achieve the desired results!

Hats off to Captive Phil - absolutely love it, the composition, lighting and expression are priceless - well done :D

I'm not going to get my head thread the door at this rate!

Hi, Phil, Captive, bang on. Pushing her to the extreme right really adds to drama. The lighting is very dramatic as is the über black BG. Her face really does say, "HELP ME!!".

I always try to offer crit, and I zoomed in to find any issues.....none found (y)

Cheers.

Delighted you like it - I was worried I wouldn't get the background dark enough but I pushed the flash up, stopped down and managed to blank it completely!

What can is say WOW I can see the pleading in her eyes and her hands...A phenomenal shot.:clap:

I was delighted with Em's expression - she understood exactly what I was aiming for.

That is a fantastic picture well done

:)

As other have said, you really nailed that captive shot. Love the lighting on it.

I love the pool of light you can get with a beauty dish & the grid on it gives a dramatic shadow transition.

Hi, excellent take on the theme of captive she does indeed look quite scared, really like the placing of her in the frame too

Thanks - the shot looked ok SOOC, but I definitely felt that the added space on the left improved the composition.

Think its all been said Phil ....a superb shot :clap:....very well done to the model too....her expression is absolutely spot on.

Thanks for taking the trouble to comment!

Week 3 - Miniature

p1774878551-5.jpg

Camera make:Canon
Camera model:Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Focal length:105 mm
Max lens aperture:f/2.8
Exposure:1/125 at f/8
Flash:Fired, compulsory mode
Exposure bias:0 EV
Exposure mode:Manual
Exposure prog.:Manual
ISO speed:ISO 100

Week 3 - Miniature

This week I fancied photographing some tiny pig models my wife has sitting on the mantelpiece. The little red one has been sucked up the Dyson a few times whilst dusting he's so small!

I needed a large light to give soft shadows and avoid strong reflected highlights so I attached a Rogue Flashbender to my 580EXII and bent it forwards to light the scene from above.

I focussed the lens on the eyes of the red piglet and then carefully shifted the wooden one until it too was in focus.

I wanted a seamless backdrop but didn't have any red material. I ended up using my Kindle's case bent back on itself.

Love the colours of this one Phil, nicely set up too with the little pig appearing to look up to the larger one, the background is very effective with it being a case, really like the lighting too with the catchlights coming off the figures, and your background info on the kit and reasoning to the shot, a real nice image thumbs::

Captive - somehow missed that one but it's a great photo!

Miniature - lovely sharp capture of a very cute subject, full of personality.

Also, really appreciate the insight into how you set these up.

Great info on your set up. Love reading about what goes through the mind of the image maker. Like the light the flash bender gave here. makes me want one.
Liking the colours and composition with the little fella's eyes glancing upwards towards the giant pig.

Gaz

Cool vibrant and fun shot for miniature. Simple and well executed concept is bang on theme. Liking the shallow dof especially.

Spooks

Hi Phil. Ha ha - very nice fun image and love the vibrant colours. (Like the little feller's expression). Would make a great illustration or poster. Nice to have the "How it was done" commentary ... very helpful. :clap:

Hi Phil, Great start. Captive is simply brilliant! Minature is bang on for the theme. Its nice to see a different colour background too, you dont see red backgrounds all too often!

Week 4 - Happy
p1723851726-6.jpg

Camera make:Canon
Camera model:Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Focal length:16 mm
Max lens aperture:f/4
Exposure: f/4
Flash:Not fired
Exposure mode:Auto bracket
Exposure prog.:Aperture priority
ISO speed:ISO 100

Week 4 - Happy

This week my pet skull, Geoff, fancied an outing to be with some of his friends. As you can see he is very happy to be among them!

Initially tried a thin depth of field shot on my 85mm f/1.2 near wide open, but decided that more context was needed. I swapped to the 16-35 f/4 IS and went in very close. I mounted the camera on a very low tripod and focussed in live view. I took three shots bracketed about 2 stops apart and then combined the result in photomatix.

:clap:Hey! Great idea and nicely set up Phil. Geoff certainly looks Happy. Excellent DoF and detail in the fg.

Dead but still happy... Great sharpness and detail in the skull and foreground.

Hi Phil ... amusing idea, nice prop & setting, perfect PoV ... but the OOF BG effect looks strange, but maybe that's the whole point.

Thanks for sharing techniques .... 85mm f/1.2 !! blimey.

Back