weekly Raptor Mike's TP52 challange 2015 - CATCH UP!! Weeks 14, 15, 16 & 17 added

Thanks. She loves it on the fish tank so when I saw her on there I thought that's it :) and ran upstairs to grab the camera. I didn't want it to look staged, although a few strokes by my wife helped with some of them, so thanks for your comment about the background (y)

Close to food ;)

That is one relaxed kitty, no 1 really shows it, although I quite like the stretch in no 2. As to the others, she doesn't look too happy at being disturbed

Thanks folks. She lies on here back to flirt for attention and likes her tummy being stroked. Where as our tom cat will normally eat you if you stroke his tummy lol.

I mean stroking her. My spelling is gonna get me into trouble one of these days lol.Good job I didn't put an extra t in but. I'll have the cpl banging on the door.

Last edited:
Hi Mike
Going back to Bold..... Funny I'm actually opening a home for abused or orphaned Malteser's. So if your stuck for a home for them I will be happy to oblige.;)
Nice shot, im trying to think if I like the vignetting or not....:) although very minimal I guess it does frame the shot a little, I like the shadow under the front of the plate and all the little highlights on the maltesers. Its also quite nice that at the rear the plate vanishes into the white background, and the intruding M&M stands out really well so fits the theme nicely! Well shot Mike....

Relax... Love these shots... Now that's what I call a chilled out cat! I'm with Dark Knight on this one, but I'm split between 2 and 3 love the direct LOOK, as id to say you dare take photos of me! The full length stretch is really good with those claws exposed, very chilled! Having said all that I also like No1 for the pose, love the paw over the chest look with the gazing at the ceiling ..... Almost a "WHAAAAT" pose! A nice set all in all Mike, and they really fit the theme well IMHO(y)

Nice set mate!

Now the next bit has everyone missed this or is it just my warped sense of humour:rolleyes: M&M stands out a "TREET"!!! So what is it a Treet or an M&M? Or maybe your all to young to remember them:(

Bold - Mmmmmmmmmm BOY could I tuck into them right now, a nice shine on the maltesers and the M&M stands out a treat... just love props like that - Nom Nom NOM :)

Last edited:
Hi Mike
Going back to Bold..... Funny I'm actually opening a home for abused or orphaned Malteser's. So if your stuck for a home for them I will be happy to oblige.;)
Nice shot, im trying to think if I like the vignetting or not....:) although very minimal I guess it does frame the shot a little, I like the shadow under the front of the plate and all the little highlights on the maltesers. Its also quite nice that at the rear the plate vanishes into the white background, and the intruding M&M stands out really well so fits the theme nicely! Well shot Mike....

Relax... Love these shots... Now that's what I call a chilled out cat! I'm with Dark Knight on this one, but I'm split between 2 and 3 love the direct LOOK, as id to say you dare take photos of me! The full length stretch is really good with those claws exposed, very chilled! Having said all that I also like No1 for the pose, love the paw over the chest look with the gazing at the ceiling ..... Almost a "WHAAAAT" pose! A nice set all in all Mike, and they really fit the theme well IMHO(y)

Nice set mate!

Now the next bit has everyone missed this or is it just my warped sense of humour:rolleyes: M&M stands out a "TREET"!!! So what is it a Treet or an M&M? Or maybe your all to young to remember them:(
Thanks Steve. The vingnett wasn't done on purpose. Tbh I wanted it to be completely white but couldn't get rid of it in pp.

The malteasers have already found a home, but thanks for offering ;)

Mike if your using LR right down the bottom of the develop pallet where you can apply vignetting if you run the sliders the other way apply a negative or white vignetting it removes the dark vignette.... Just in case you hadn't found it...:)
Cheers Steve

Mike if your using LR right down the bottom of the develop pallet where you can apply vignetting if you run the sliders the other way apply a negative or white vignetting it removes the dark vignette.... Just in case you hadn't found it...:)
Cheers Steve
No I hadn't Steve so thanks for that advice (y)

Found it by accident myself ;)

Nice relaxed shot.
Although the eyes say im going to have you if you disturb me anymore.

Watery - I’m a sucker for long exposures so #2 works well for me. You captured some good tones and the addition of the Sun popping over the land is a nice touch.

Bold - At first glance I thought you’d lost the top of the bowl into the background but then I decided I quite liked it as I did the slight vignette to the corners

Relax - I’m not a cat man but #3 is my favourite here. The straight on stare makes the image. I find the background a bit too distracting but you can’t always control where your pet decides to go to sleep.

Thanks all. I've got way behind with my photos, stomach bug hasn't helped. I will try and get vertical and mouth up before Monday or I'll be really behind.

Also behind on my comments for which there is no excuse, so sorry about that.

Week 9 - Vertical
A plumb bob.
I was going to do a shot with a level then I was going to go and photograph a clock tower but what with the weather and time I ask a couple of neighbours if they had one of these, which one did. Lets face it, you dont get more vertical than one of these.

It was shot hanging from a door frame with my wife holding a piece of white mountboard behind. I wanted to just use the window light but it was too dark so bounced some flash. The background wasn't as white as I hoped, I didnt want to blow highlights on the bob, so brightened that up by selecting the bob and made a new layer then then brightened the layer behind. I also brightened the sting up via another selection. I have to admit I'm not 100% on the string selection edges.

Week 9 vertical _MG_6351
by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 10 - Mouth
So I was going to take some photos of a river mouth about 7 miles from me but that stomach bug put pay to that so I though it would just have to be late. I've just looked thought the image thread and saw a lot of mouth shots which made me think I could just photo a mouth of one of my family so I can catch up. Then the light bulb lit. I took some of my boy this morning with his red nose for comic relief. So I've already done mouth which I took today and didn't even realize :banana:. I've already started a Red Nose photo thread here if you've got any to add.

_MG_6326

_MG_6338

_MG_6340

_MG_6341

excellent mouth shots, a lil bit of shadow on some but still very well lit. Vertical also a good shot, good thinking too :)

Vertical, I think you cheated and "flipped" that :D

Very simple and effective Mike (y)

Mouth, I bet you lad had fun with posing for that :D
A nice set :)

Very simple and effective Mike (y)

Mouth, I bet you lad had fun with posing for that :D
A nice set :)
Thanks Chris, he did but I had to drag him away from playing with Spaceship from the Lego movie that he got for his birthday the other day(y)

Vertical, I think you cheated and "flipped" that :D
Really?? One of the rubbish shots...

_MG_6349
:p

Vertical: Brilliant idea for the theme, kept nice & simple too, tho you don't make it sound simple.

Mouth: You have a good, amusing model there.

Great vertical image .Like the idea very much. Like the the description too :)
Nice shots for mouth too ;-)

Gaz

Hi Mike

Vertical.......Certainly fits the theme. (And I think you should have flipped it, then it would look like a wocket!)

Mouth.....The series made me chuckle, so I'd say given thetheme and the day in question, job done! :)

Hi Mike

Vertical - nice simple idea, but it works really well

Mouth - ha ha I like those! Looks like your son was enjoying himself as well :)

Vertical is simple but so effective works perfect

And a great fun set of shots for mouth I couldn't pick a best they are all really good.

I think you chose the best of the bunch for the main pictures thread. It's well lit, nice and sharp and has no distracting shadows. It's spot on theme and it's Probably an image you'll keep for years to come and look back on with a smile. Brill.

I think you chose the best of the bunch for the main pictures thread. It's well lit, nice and sharp and has no distracting shadows. It's spot on theme and it's Probably an image you'll keep for years to come and look back on with a smile. Brill.
Thank you :) Think it'll be one to put on lampposts and facebook when he turns 18 lol

HI Mike

Vertical....simple but effective , don't mind the non pure white background too much but the string is bugging me...sorta looks flourescent :thinking:

Relax....a super set of images of your kitty & what lovely eye's :kiss: Has to be #1 for me...that pose is unreal :clap:

Hi Mike ...

Vertical .... the colour of string is a bit of a distraction, but is it that string they put chalk on and then flick it to make a straight line o_O I love the simplicity of the composition, it makes it a really eye catching shot.

Mouth is brilliant ...great poses there ... a really fun set :)

Hi Mike ...

Vertical .... the colour of string is a bit of a distraction, but is it that string they put chalk on and then flick it to make a straight line o_O I love the simplicity of the composition, it makes it a really eye catching shot.

Mouth is brilliant ...great poses there ... a really fun set :)
Thanks. It looks like normal bale type string to me. I did select it and up the saturation because it didn't stand out to me, seems I went to high lol :)

hI mIKE :)

Vertical - Great idea, nice and simple but very effective, good detail, no shadow, good shine... and as vertical as vertical can be (y)

Mouth - What a great set, all nicely lit, great colours too... I'm choosing number one as it looks a bit more spontaneous to me, all nice images though :)

Catch up weeks 11, 12, 13
So with all three of my kids having birthdays in March (2 of them are twins) buying a new van for work, doing loads of work, and generally feeling exhausted, I have managed to get well behind :sorry: So here we go with a catch up(ish)...

Week 11 - Crowd
I had a lot of fun with my 7 year old son setting this up. He held the helicopter up as well. But due to pp woes (selection of the chopper was hard because the boy had a dark jumper so it would select the blades on their own. So after hours of wasted time I gave up wioth the image. I wanted to add stuff to the foreground and background but decided enough was enough, a project for the futre I think. A TP member has since posted a reply in a thread I started about selection in CC here

See if you can spot the GENUIN 1980 something spaceman with broken chin gaurd just like on the film (after I saw the film I raided my old lego and found him, and yes the guard was already broken), and other lego heros.

week 11 - crowd

Week 12 - Close
This is of a dragon ornimant I have. It's 2-3 inches high. The first shot taken with my Tamron 17-50, the secon with my Canon 55-250.

week 12 close1

week 12 close2

Week 13 - Machine
So I wanted to do some more shots of my bike for this but for reasons explained above plus it needs a clean, I decided to use an old one, (this was taken in 2007 on my old Kodak Z740 bridge). I did some PP to it and added a vignette, which Im not sure about. Apart from needing a valet the bike is in just as good condition now as it was then. The train was 2013 at Corfe Castle and the race bike was shot last year at Thruxton BSB. I'm not sure which to put up, your opinions?

week 13 machine 1

week 13 machine 2

Chris Walker #9 at Thruxton 2014 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, just two more to do now:woot:

Last edited:
LOL I just love the lego crowd so many era's depicted (but nope cant see the space man) (y)
Thats a really nice looking Daytona, and nice image of it too, I'd personally go with that Mike (y)

LOL I just love the lego crowd so many era's depicted (but nope cant see the space man) (y)
Thats a really nice looking Daytona, and nice image of it too, I'd personally go with that Mike (y)
Thanks Chris. Kelp looking. I'll give you a clue. He's facing us AMD he's next to Benny, the 1980s spaceman from the Lego movie spaceship set that my boy got for his birthday ;)

I'm loving that Lego crowd shot too Mike. Really made me chuckle.

Close-up. Many moons ago, way before the LOR movies, I had a few of the pewter Hobbit figures. My fave was Gollum in a boat. I digress. Lovely close-up of the dragon!

Machine....Number three for me. My husband had the same bike (Daytona), only silver. Gone now, but not forgotten :LOL:

Back