weekly Raptor Mike's TP52 challange 2015 - CATCH UP!! Weeks 14, 15, 16 & 17 added

Some good shots there Mike ... not least Machine #1 ... all clean and shiny - but not too shiny, you've captured the colour well - with a great contrasting BG.

So here we go, catch up time.

Week 14 - Alphabet - Lego alphabet
Alien - Batman - Carpenter - Dath Vader - Emmet - Father Christmas - Goth - Helicopter - Ice cream - Judoka (judo player) - Kiss - Lepricorn - Michelangelo (Name of this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle) - Ninja - Olaf (Snoman from Frozen) - Parrot - Quad bike - Rock - Shark - Tree - Uni-kitty (Angry) - Victory - Wheel barrow - X-wing fighter - Yoda - Zigzag

week 14 alphabet _MG_7212
by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Week 15 - Sound - Hearing aid
My son has recently had to have hearing aids due to glue ear. He's been really good about it. And yes that is a little T-Rex on in the clear bit in his ear.

week 15 sound-7175

Week 16 - Experiment - Drugs
Ok I've gone really dark with this. The power is icing sugar and don't worry the pills and jab are mine for medical reasons. I made it B&W, but a vignette around it upped the contrast and clarity amongst other settings and added noise.

week 17 experiment _MG_7191

Week 17 - Heat - Cooking blow torch

week 17 heat-7180

Now I might have time to comment on some of yours lol :sorry:

Last edited:
Super catch up Mike and well done with that Alphabet shot, that must have taken a while to set up.

Well done to your son with his hearing aid ...that's a smashing clear shot ... love the little T-Rex on it.

Not so keen on the drugs shot it just looks too neat and tidy, but I like the choice of B&W to give it that 'dark' edge.

Nice choice for Heat with a lovely clear flame.

Going back a page that's a brilliant shot for Machine, very eye catching indeed. :clap:

Super catch up Mike and well done with that Alphabet shot, that must have taken a while to set up.

Well done to your son with his hearing aid ...that's a smashing clear shot ... love the little T-Rex on it.

Not so keen on the drugs shot it just looks too neat and tidy, but I like the choice of B&W to give it that 'dark' edge.

Nice choice for Heat with a lovely clear flame.

Going back a page that's a brilliant shot for Machine, very eye catching indeed. :clap:
Thank you very much Susie (y) Yep, the Lego took ages. But the next day after I had told the boy he could take it apart I had to reshot it because a piece of lego under the shark to raise it wasnt under the shark, but next to it. Lol

Hi Mike .... Time for a catch up for me too!
Sorry haven't been to your tread for ages :( winding back to vertical mate...
Vertical... Nice stuff here... I think you did a good job in the PP mate love the really sharp detail in the plumb bob. I think you did a pretty good job on the string, much better than some other attempts of that sort of thing I've seen;) Works for me!

Mouth.... Like No1 the best I think because of the more natural look... What a fun shot.... It's a great set mate good lighting, I guess only improvement would be to lose the touches of shadow but that's minor nit picking. Love it great shots:)

Crowd.... Nice scene! I have a big box in the loft for when the grand kids get older and that's from when I was about 8 and I'm not gonna tell you how long ago that was but let's just say there was no fancy bits then the most exciting bits were wheels or the light brick with a small festoon lamp in!
So this was another test of your PP skills;) Nice job and you managed to get a shot before your son disassembled it:)
Have you considered pulling a grad across from that LH corner to pull up those shadows?
Space man .... Is he on the top balcony far right with a cone?

Close up.... Like the Dragon! No2, Nice lighting from the left, picks our the detail well, looks better of course on Flickr! I take it No2 is the close shot!

Machine.... Difficult choice here! As a Triumph man love the Daytona I had a '68 T100 Daytona way back... (my 69 Bonnie's on here somewhere). Think the vignetting is just about right, nice angle to show the bike, would probably have tried to get the edge of the RH bollard in, cropped both out or cropped it down to the edge of the LH bollard to match the RH, just to satisfy my OCD. :rolleyes:
No2 I think the Loco is lovely too! Looks like a Black Five very nice, all things steam powered are great! Love the colours, lots of interest in the shot, smoke, steam, smell what more do you need(y)
No3 Great panning shot. Nice bit of space to the left of the bike focus pretty good to, good work!
I'll let you chose there all pretty equal to me(y)

Alphabet..... Lego's featuring pretty heavily again! (You don't work for them do you:)) Clever idea, sadly you know all there names! But it's a novel take on the theme!;)
Sound.... They really make things great for children nowadays what a brilliant idea to print a T-Rex on hearing aids for kids! Nice clear, sharp shot.

Experiment .... Bit heavy! I guess it's something you wouldn't want to be experimenting with! Like the idea of the lighting and giving the dark and dingy feeling....

Heat.... I was going there :). Haven't got as far as heat yet, watch this space! Sharp shot, think I might have picked an alternative background but other than that works for me fits the theme.

Well that's all caught up with your feedback now better get. My finger out with my photos!

Hi Mike,
Nice catchup :)

Alphabet - That's a really clever interpretation. Nice and sharp shot. THat's a hell of a lot of Lego you have there.
Sound - Poor lad, still I guess that's better than grommets. Another nice crisp shot (y)
Experiment - The B&W processing really works well with the drugs subject, gives it an urban deprivation feel.
Heat - Once again, a nice sharp shot. I get the kitchen worktop and tiled background, but I wonder if taking this in lower light would have emphasized the flame?

Hi Mike .... Time for a catch up for me too!
Sorry haven't been to your tread for ages :( winding back to vertical mate...
Vertical... Nice stuff here... I think you did a good job in the PP mate love the really sharp detail in the plumb bob. I think you did a pretty good job on the string, much better than some other attempts of that sort of thing I've seen;) Works for me!

Mouth.... Like No1 the best I think because of the more natural look... What a fun shot.... It's a great set mate good lighting, I guess only improvement would be to lose the touches of shadow but that's minor nit picking. Love it great shots:)

Crowd.... Nice scene! I have a big box in the loft for when the grand kids get older and that's from when I was about 8 and I'm not gonna tell you how long ago that was but let's just say there was no fancy bits then the most exciting bits were wheels or the light brick with a small festoon lamp in!
So this was another test of your PP skills;) Nice job and you managed to get a shot before your son disassembled it:)
Have you considered pulling a grad across from that LH corner to pull up those shadows?
Space man .... Is he on the top balcony far right with a cone?

Close up.... Like the Dragon! No2, Nice lighting from the left, picks our the detail well, looks better of course on Flickr! I take it No2 is the close shot!

Machine.... Difficult choice here! As a Triumph man love the Daytona I had a '68 T100 Daytona way back... (my 69 Bonnie's on here somewhere). Think the vignetting is just about right, nice angle to show the bike, would probably have tried to get the edge of the RH bollard in, cropped both out or cropped it down to the edge of the LH bollard to match the RH, just to satisfy my OCD. :rolleyes:
No2 I think the Loco is lovely too! Looks like a Black Five very nice, all things steam powered are great! Love the colours, lots of interest in the shot, smoke, steam, smell what more do you need(y)
No3 Great panning shot. Nice bit of space to the left of the bike focus pretty good to, good work!
I'll let you chose there all pretty equal to me(y)

Alphabet..... Lego's featuring pretty heavily again! (You don't work for them do you:)) Clever idea, sadly you know all there names! But it's a novel take on the theme!;)
Sound.... They really make things great for children nowadays what a brilliant idea to print a T-Rex on hearing aids for kids! Nice clear, sharp shot.

Experiment .... Bit heavy! I guess it's something you wouldn't want to be experimenting with! Like the idea of the lighting and giving the dark and dingy feeling....

Heat.... I was going there :). Haven't got as far as heat yet, watch this space! Sharp shot, think I might have picked an alternative background but other than that works for me fits the theme.

Well that's all caught up with your feedback now better get. My finger out with my photos!

Hi Mike,
Nice catchup :)

Alphabet - That's a really clever interpretation. Nice and sharp shot. THat's a hell of a lot of Lego you have there.
Sound - Poor lad, still I guess that's better than grommets. Another nice crisp shot (y)
Experiment - The B&W processing really works well with the drugs subject, gives it an urban deprivation feel.
Heat - Once again, a nice sharp shot. I get the kitchen worktop and tiled background, but I wonder if taking this in lower light would have emphasized the flame?

Thank you for all you feedback guys, really apriciated. Steve the original 1980something spaceman is at the top right just to the left of the commentary box, with the one from the movie just behind him. Also which letters have I missed the names for in the alphabet? I did miss one when I first posted but edited not long after.

Time good point about heat.

Thanks again both (y)

Hi Mike

Alphabet ... looks like a long days play, I'm amazed. Clever interpretation.

Sound ... poor lad having to rely on one of those to hear what most take for granted. Good sharp shooting.

Experiment ... not my favourite of the bunch ... maybe a zoom in on the white lines with the necessary razor blade and a rolled up £50 would somehow work better.

Heat ... nice idea, nice prop, well focussed ... but yes lower light is needed, and maybe a little more space in front of the flame.

Good catch-up. (y)

Hi Mike

Alphabet ... looks like a long days play, I'm amazed. Clever interpretation.

Sound ... poor lad having to rely on one of those to hear what most take for granted. Good sharp shooting.

Experiment ... not my favourite of the bunch ... maybe a zoom in on the white lines with the necessary razor blade and a rolled up £50 would somehow work better.

Heat ... nice idea, nice prop, well focussed ... but yes lower light is needed, and maybe a little more space in front of the flame.

Good catch-up. (y)
Thanks (y)

Hi Mike :)

A quick catch up on your catch up...

Alphabet - Photography wise it's a bit of a snap, sorry... but appreciate the time it must of took to get the right figures and set them up, theme wise bang on too :)

Sound - Real good detail on this one, and liking the composition despite the central positioning :)

Experiment - A little dark but as you say that adds to the shady nature of the theme, certainly a huge range of stuff there :)

Heat - For the theme it works well, would have been even better torching a meringue or the like, but hey I'm in a ultra fussy mood :D ... nice DoF and well lit :)

Back