weekly RG Miller 2016 - 52 Challenge

Hi Richard :)

Captive - That is great, really like the idea of the subject being missing :D - good touch with the naked bulb (y)

Miniature - Not sure on the colour casting ?? - but great little put, good idea to put the cup and saucer in for size comparison, and the bit of steam from the spout is a great touch :)

Hi Richard and welcome. Some nice shots so far I look forward to seeing more

Metal - Really like the lighting on this one. Well framed and very sharp (y)

Captive - Again the lighting works really well but without having a central focal point I find my eyes drawn to the light. I wonder what it would look like cropping out the light and making more of the chair & rope

Miniature - Cleverly down, original and on topic although it did take a minute for me to get it, but that is down to me I think (y)

Thanks for all the feedback ! Looks like a split jury on the shading - so not too bad ! I truly welcome all the feedback so thanks to all of you - I know how difficult it is to get round the great submissions so far this year! I would like to say it makes me HAPPY - but everytime I think of that word it sends me into crisis!! :tumbleweed:

My first trip out with a little Canon Powershot G16 acquired this week! Nice little camera to use and this was at full zoom in what was pretty poor light this weekend. Be interesting to see how it works out!

Hi Richard. She sure looks happy to be splashing about in the sea. A fun shot and spot on theme (y)
It's a real shame that the top of the shot has cropped the top of her mum's head a little.

Thanks Tim ! I was trying to cut out an unsightly bit of coast - but thinking about it I should have cloned a bit more sea and extended the canvas upwards! I wouldn't have thought about it other wise!

20160124_0938-Recovered.jpg

Miniature - nice idea for the theme, not keen on the lighting, I think the image would work better with a brighter background sorry. But if that is the desired effect that you were after then thats great, just not to my tastes.

Happy - cant beat a good stroll along a beach somewhere, like the composition of the image (y).

Last edited:
Hi Richard, prefer the second crop, looks like they were have a lot of fun. No wonder they were happy.

A lovely happy shot and definitely worth the bit of extra pp work to get a better composition in version 2. (y)

Two happy smiley people a nice memory well captured Richard :)

Captive is very good dark and menacing good lighting to
Miniature I like allot great shot,
Happy... The little girl having the time of her life and certainly happy lovely picture(y)

Abandoned: that's a super find there for the theme. Like the moody sky and dramatic light. Strange that the grass is short and relatively tidy around and under the car?

Hi Jason. Thanks for the comments. The car has just appeared there - it is adjacent to the old hospital site where they have just demolished 16 buildings and old houses to make way for a new housing development. I am assuming that it was found in one of the outhouses as it looks like an unfinished (abandoned?) Project! Amazingly there is an old fire engine further into the site but it was surrounded by fencing!

Happy - nice natural action shot with a real sense of fun, the re-crop is a definite inprovement.

Abandoned - like it a lot, the sunlight makes the white bodywork stand out against the dark sky. I was hoping for some car shots - much as I've looked I can't find a dumped car anywhere!

Aw! What a shame to see one of the most iconic cars "Abandoned" like that. .
A tin of T-Cut and a spray can from Halfords, it'll be as good as new (y)
:D

Nice find, and nicely taken Richard (y)

Wk5 Abandoned - Looking through the rest of the images from yesterday and thought this one may be worth a punt! A spare image in week five may be needed as the weeks progress! This is the old Morpeth Asylum in Northumberland. They are redeveloping the site - which is probably marketing speak for pulling it down! It was built in 1859 - it was abandoned in 1995. I don't suppose it was the nicest place to find oneself and the whole site has a strangle unwelcoming feel about it....

20160130_0972.jpg

Last edited:
I like the abandoned shot, and the back story to it. Who doesn't like a creepy old mental asylum?

The horizon is either way off level or the tower is of the Pisa school of design I'm sure though!?

I like the abandoned shot, and the back story to it. Who doesn't like a creepy old mental asylum?

The horizon is either way off level or the tower is of the Pisa school of design I'm sure though!?

Hi Ian - I was shooting over a wire fence! I did try some correction in PS but may have another go!

Hi Ian - I was shooting over a wire fence! I did try some correction in PS but may have another go!
Won't take much fixing I'm sure, Richard. Just looks like the right hand side needs lifting up a touch [emoji106] (to my eyes anyway)

Back