weekly Rosso's 52 challenge 2013 - Weeks 8 & 9 -Time & Juxtaposition - Added

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm still fairly new to photography so contemplating this as way to get myself out of my comfort zone of taking photos of my pets! Although I'm not the most creative person so dunno how good I will be at this :confused:

I'm just wondering if my photos will be reviewed by others if they are particularly bad and also where to find the list of subjects?

Thanks in advance, Rosso

Last edited:
Thanks Graham, I can't promise anything particularly good but I'm hoping with a bit of advice on things I'm doing wrong (of which I'm sure there are many!) I can start improving towards the end of the project :)

Hi Matt you will find everyone here is pretty friendly and will offer advice if you need it just jump in its frustrating at times but you will enjoy it

Hi Graham, I am quite inexperienced at photography so you won't be alone!

I expect to have good weeks and god awful weeks :)

probably more of the latter than the former but to me, one good pic makes up for a whole load of bad uns!

here is to 2013!!

Hi Matt

welcome aboard...tis a madhouse in here but tis great fun (y)

This is my third year , looking back to week 1 in 2010 I have actually learnt stuff...now most of my weeks are passable:LOL:

Don't be afraid to ask any questions ( the only daft ones are ones you don't ask ), we're a friendly bunch & keep your eye's peeled for the midway meet up (y)

Madhouse sounds about perfect to me Lynne!

And I've been asking a few but if I ask everything I need to know, there won't be any room on here for the rest of you! But it does seem friendly and if I'm not working and it's not a million miles away a meet up with everyone sounds good to me :)

Right, well after the friendly welcomes I don't think I can back out! So without further ado, here is my week 1 entry! And please, any criticisms or improvements are more than welcome :)

8333938713_e52f8dd784_c.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the 52 Matt
Good start, I like the lighting (especially on the spikey choc) was it window lit?
Shame the focus is on the thorntons, nicer shading and texture on spikey
IMO (y)

Hi, Matt, and welcome.

Sin, indeed, more so for some :p

The Thorntons is quite sharp, but I'm not keen on the cropped chocolates. Another minor point is the lower line of the box, I'd like to see it straight.

Good start and looking forward to the next 51 :D

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments guys, very grateful for the comments and tips :)
Bruce - It was just lit with a lamp from above, didn't play around with it too much and was quite lucky it was nice to start with! After reading what you've said I think I will try different areas of focus on the same shot.
Andy - I hadn't even looked at the line of the box at the bottom (although now I have it's something I need to look out for) and the cropped chocolates as well will be something I hadn't paid too much attention to. I tend to see the main thing I'm shooting and just focus on that so I think that is something for the future as well

Hi Matt :)

I was just going to mention a different angle to get rid of the box line, before I read down and see Andy picked it up, other than that, I like the lighting and the interesting shapes and curves - a good start to your 52 :Thumbs:

(I have also added you to the Spreadsheet)

Thanks Dark Knight :) I'm really just hoping to see an improvement by the end of the project so every criticism anyone can come up with is useful, but praise is always nice!

And loving the spreadsheet as well, makes me feel like I'm part of a club :D

Hi Rosso agree with everyone about the box being in view maybe if the chocolate was in the middle of the box that might help :thinking:

I did two years of photography at school but haven't touched my camera much since, so I'm not that experienced either.

Personally I don't like the idea of food being sin, but that's just me...
I like the image though, and the bite taken out of the 'thorntons' chocolate. I agree that it would have been nice to see the edge of the box straighter, and would have probably zoomed out a little bit to get all of the other chocolates in as well, but the basics of the composition are good. Maybe next time try and increase the depth of field so it's more obvious that the other chocolates are supposed to be in soft focus, or possibly get the whole thing in focus. Minor point though.

Good luck for the other 51 weeks!

Hi Matt - glad to see you've jumped in....

When I first viewed this on my phone I kept trying to push the picture off to the left to see the rest of the chocs on the right side..... guess this says they should be there (to me anyway), and is that a thumb print or reflection above the small t in Thorntons?

And I struggle with things not level, so the box edge is another for me.

But good control of the reflections and shadows, and the colour looks spot on. (y)

Gonna be a long wait till theme 2 comes out.

Great shot Matt, bang on theme :)

The only thing that's bothering me is the bitten chocolate bottom left. It took me ages to work out that that's what it is; I couldn't tell if it was that, or a wrapper part missing, or even something pasted into the image. I think you either need a whole chocolate there, or to make the bitten part a more obvious subject, perhaps through a different angle with the bite on one of the thirds, or highlighted using a narrow DoF?

Hi Rosso agree with everyone about the box being in view maybe if the chocolate was in the middle of the box that might help :thinking:

Thanks Allan, it was unfortunately at the bottom of the box and I wasn't a big fan of the other ones I took, and now the box is really sticking out to me and I don't know how I missed it!

I did two years of photography at school but haven't touched my camera much since, so I'm not that experienced either.

Personally I don't like the idea of food being sin, but that's just me...
I like the image though, and the bite taken out of the 'thorntons' chocolate. I agree that it would have been nice to see the edge of the box straighter, and would have probably zoomed out a little bit to get all of the other chocolates in as well, but the basics of the composition are good. Maybe next time try and increase the depth of field so it's more obvious that the other chocolates are supposed to be in soft focus, or possibly get the whole thing in focus. Minor point though.

Good luck for the other 51 weeks!

Thanks Z, I did try it with all the chocolates in view (the entire box) and it seemed a bit boring to me, maybe it's my trying to over-complicate things though!

Hi Matt - glad to see you've jumped in....

When I first viewed this on my phone I kept trying to push the picture off to the left to see the rest of the chocs on the right side..... guess this says they should be there (to me anyway), and is that a thumb print or reflection above the small t in Thorntons?

And I struggle with things not level, so the box edge is another for me.

But good control of the reflections and shadows, and the colour looks spot on. (y)

Gonna be a long wait till theme 2 comes out.

I hadn't noticed that before but I think it may be a thumb print on it :confused: and I see what you mean about the cropped chocolates (as Andy said) it was something (along with the box) that I just didn't notice at all. I think I really need to start paying more attention to the rest of the photo and not just the main thing I'm photographing.

Great shot Matt, bang on theme :)

The only thing that's bothering me is the bitten chocolate bottom left. It took me ages to work out that that's what it is; I couldn't tell if it was that, or a wrapper part missing, or even something pasted into the image. I think you either need a whole chocolate there, or to make the bitten part a more obvious subject, perhaps through a different angle with the bite on one of the thirds, or highlighted using a narrow DoF?

Thanks Mark, and until you mentioned it, I saw the bite clear as day, but now, I see exactly what you mean!

Can't add much more to anyone's comments.

Good week 1 effort Matt. I think there's quite a few of us here with a few apprehensions so I think you're in good company. :D

At the end of the day though by pushing ourselves and listening to the praise and critique we'll hopefully get better and more confident with what we're doing. :)

Hi Matt.....

Thorntons....OMG...Scrummy :love:

Agree with whats already been said....just a thought....maybe the choc that should have been bitten in to was the Strawberry Cream ( the one with the pointy bits on ( can recognise one of them a mile off cos they're my faves :D )..would have added a splash of toning color ? of course I could be talking twaddle:bonk:

..note to me...must go buy some Thorntons & a have a try...all in the name of photography of course :nuts:

Can't add much more to anyone's comments.

Good week 1 effort Matt. I think there's quite a few of us here with a few apprehensions so I think you're in good company. :D

At the end of the day though by pushing ourselves and listening to the praise and critique we'll hopefully get better and more confident with what we're doing. :)

Thanks Dave, that's my main thought and the critique has helped me find a few things to try now so hopefully I can improve by the end. And I think the fact that so many people seem to be doing it with a bit of apprehension like me is actually quite a nice thing, means others are in the same boat as me!

Hi Matt.....

Thorntons....OMG...Scrummy :love:

Agree with whats already been said....just a thought....maybe the choc that should have been bitten in to was the Strawberry Cream ( the one with the pointy bits on ( can recognise one of them a mile off cos they're my faves :D )..would have added a splash of toning color ? of course I could be talking twaddle:bonk:

..note to me...must go buy some Thorntons & a have a try...all in the name of photography of course :nuts:

And that's a really good idea actually Lynne, wish I'd thought of that! Unfortunately they were my mums chocolates and happened to see them open when I popped round so I wouldn't dare tell her which ones to eat :D And of course, maybe get a few different boxes, to get different shapes and colours of course!

good start and like your take on the theme.. been said about the box.. it often takes someone to point out something before you notice it yourself :)

Before I actually submit anything properly for this week I wouldn't mind some criticism on a few photos I've taken tonight that I might possibly use!

8379194922_6de84fd7dc_c.jpg

8379195146_d4378e7b03_c.jpg

8378116891_8435dfdece_c.jpg

I prefer the second one myself but any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I prefer the second too, the others dont seem to have a focus point. A nice close up like in number 1 might work but needs more area to be in focus.

Thanks Puckers, a lot of it was guess work with the focusing as I was taking these at 2:30 in the morning with only the camera flash for company!

Well done for going outside at such an unearthly hour:LOL: I prefer number 2, I can see it's still snowing as well.

Thanks Mandy, I was up watching the NFL playoffs and decided to wander outside! One of the perks of shift working I guess! The more I look at them, the more I like number 2 :)

After sleeping and a few other people's opinions, I've decided on this photo as my entry for week 2, feel free to tear it to shreds people!

8379195146_d4378e7b03_c.jpg

Hi, Matt, Yip, Season. You've done well with the whites and you've frozen the flakes nicely. Bokeh as well from the flakes.

I'd have been tempted to bend the RH bush out of the way to focus attention on the main bush.

Cheers.

Hi Matt

#2 for me as well...the end leaf with snow is nicely focused (y) There's just something niggling me about the crop...lose a little off the bottom or the RHS....I'm not good with crops ( as Andy will confirm) but hmmm...needs some thinking about :thinking:

brrr.. certainly says winter.. like the bokeh snow in the background.. think i'd have preferred all that foreground bit of the bush in focus.. bang on theme though!

Bang on theme, just not really sure what to look at in each shot if I'm being honest. The focus doesn't really seem to draw my eye anywhere. Perhaps being the other side of the leaves so they were not facing away might have been worth a try also.

I like this shot Matt. Central focus is crisp and the green stem/ leaves adds a nice colour contrast. Good job!

Well done Matt - love the black of the background and the capture of the falling snow,.

DOF, coupled with odd choice of focal point leave me hunting a bit for where to look, but when I find it, it is in focus, so well done (and for getting out into the snow).

Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments :) The focus is a bit out but considering I was kind of guessing I don't think it's as bad as it could be!

agree about there being nothing to focus on in the image the right hand side is a bit distracting but it does say winter

I love the shot, very wintry and great background
Agree with the focus, but a nice shot for the topic

Back