weekly SamW - first year of photography 52 week 11 added - Artificial

Hi, Catching up on my commenting.

Old - Now your making me feel old, had one of the old B&W ones up to recently. Nice shot, as others have said just be careful of distractions in the background.
Metal - Nice picture with very strong colours.

Hi Sam !

Nice strong image in Metal. The colour and the subject just makes a shot really interesting - I like it for the simplicity of the photograph! It shows the quality of the metal! Who in god's name has spent their life polishing it? I bet it was pretty hot most of its time! I have seen similar tanks in old houses built above a large range and fed from a back boiler.

Great start!

Hi
Lovely colours and tones in boiler shot
Interesting choice of subject

Lovely old boiler Sam well spotted and taken (y)

Loved your week 0! Nice nostalgia seeing it and clean use of B&W to blue. For your week 1 I feel the colours are nicely retained.

All in all a strong start to your 52s, good luck,
Oscar

Never understood the appeal of coffee myself but I know plenty of people who are captivated by it.

That's an interesting looking coffee maker. I prefer the first shot and like the out of focus pods (is that what they are called?) in the background.Although the green ring around the on button is a bit distracting. The second shot is a nicer angle to show the coffee maker but I find the right hand side a bit cluttered with the taps and drainer. Although I do like the daffodils.

Pretty much as Steve said really, Sam, the first is certainly the best, The "clutter" in the second is a distraction.

Just about on theme too (y)

Never understood the appeal of coffee myself but I know plenty of people who are captivated by it.

That's an interesting looking coffee maker. I prefer the first shot and like the out of focus pods (is that what they are called?) in the background.Although the green ring around the on button is a bit distracting. The second shot is a nicer angle to show the coffee maker but I find the right hand side a bit cluttered with the taps and drainer. Although I do like the daffodils.

Thanks for the comments :) I put the second shot in when I saw the daffodils, thought they looked good :)

Pretty much as Steve said really, Sam, the first is certainly the best, The "clutter" in the second is a distraction.

Just about on theme, very loosely ;) couldn't think of anything, so went a bit rogue! Thanks for the comments :)

Hi Sam. Not an obvious link to the theme and like DK wondered where it belonged. Prefer #1 for the reasons previously stated. (I'm struggling to think of a shot for this theme too)

You had me there... I had no clue at all what box to tick on the spreadsheet :banghead:

I prefer the first shot two, I think its all the funny angles that draws me :)
hello and welcome to the 52'rs mad house, nice strong start looking forward to see what else you can come up with.
Hi Sam. Not an obvious link to the theme and like DK wondered where it belonged. Prefer #1 for the reasons previously stated. (I'm struggling to think of a shot for this theme too)

Thanks for the comments - I really did struggle this week so went slightly off theme ;)

Hi Sam. Not 100% sure that it's on theme, but then who am I to comment on that (you'll see my tenuous links as the year goes on).
I do really like the head on shot, the blown out background focuses the eye on the coffee / coffee machine. :clap:

Hi Sam. Not 100% sure that it's on theme, but then who am I to comment on that (you'll see my tenuous links as the year goes on).
I do really like the head on shot, the blown out background focuses the eye on the coffee / coffee machine. :clap:
Hahaha - I like how you changed the theme - btw I love vanilla latte
Hi Sam ....first shot for me, although I love the shape of your coffee maker in #2 ...it looks like a little alien o_O

Thanks for the posts :) Yeah I know #2 isn't the best photo, but I liked it for some reason :)

"clutter" ... you should see our kitchen!

I agree ... first is best. Just about on theme too. ;)

Hi good start to your 52 challenge

Old: Really fits the theme I like he selective colour, I feel it might benefit from a tighter crop

Metal: Good take on the theme it's a pity you didn't have more time the explore more angles

Captive: Interesting take on the theme

Sorry i am late! have been very busy with work, will get around to taking the happy picture soon :)
These are car models called speed freaks, iv had them for a long time and have a fair few - this one is just my favorite.

I haven't had time to buy anything for backdrops, so did this with some plain old paper!

DSC_0037 by Minature Car
, on Flickr

DSC_0038 by Mini car
, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with having a nice clean clear bg - I use plain paper for mine. Nice image - prefer #1 as it has a better balance in the frame. :clap:

Thanks for the posts :) Yeah I know #2 isn't the best photo, but I liked it for some reason :)
"clutter" ... you should see our kitchen!

I agree ... first is best. Just about on theme too. ;)
Hmmm coffee :D

Love the reflecton on the last one, very good ;)
3 good shots nice start to your 52
Hi good start to your 52 challenge

Old: Really fits the theme I like he selective colour, I feel it might benefit from a tighter crop

Metal: Good take on the theme it's a pity you didn't have more time the explore more angles

Captive: Interesting take on the theme

Late reply sorry! Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated :)

Nothing wrong with having a nice clean clear bg - I use plain paper for mine. Nice image - prefer #1 as it has a better balance in the frame. :clap:

thank you! I prefer 1 too, put the other pic up to show more of the car :)

Nice enough, but ask yourself, are they six foot long or 4 inches? What makes them miniature? There is no scale here. Do they fit the brief?

LOL what a weird model, not seen these before :D
Nicely taken (y)

Nice enough, but ask yourself, are they six foot long or 4 inches? What makes them miniature? There is no scale here. Do they fit the brief?
LOL what a weird model, not seen these before :D
Nicely taken (y)
unusual model I like the first one better
Hi Sam.
The first shot on this thread for miniature (2nd on the main one) is my preference. With the other shot you've cropped it so tightly that the car has nowhere to drive into.

Thank you for the replies :)

I didn't really know how to show scale, only thing I could think of was placing it next to a tyre of a real car, but the weather was awful :/

DSC_0150 Happysam withers, on Flickr

Picture of someone who makes me very happy, my wife :)

Cheated as I took this picture a few weeks ago, but very busy this week!

Last edited:
Very nice - like the clean BG and the angle of the second miniature image, your wife looks happy and is a good photo to cherish

Aaaw, lovely shot of your wife. I would have been inclined to stand further to the left to get more of a lead-in angle from the path and avoid having the tree right behind her.

Miniature - Nice vibrant colours and an unusual model, I also prefer the first one (the head on shot) as the other is cropped a bit to close to the edges.

Happy - That's a lovely natural shot, I wonder what it would look like with a bit cropped of the top and left hand side to put her a bit more prominent in the picture.

Back