weekly SamW - first year of photography 52 week 11 added - Artificial

Loving the "Living World" picture Sam. Very sharp, lovely colours and *that* expression.
Not so keen on Topical. It feels like you missed focus, as the end is not as sharp as the top.

Excellent DOF on the Topical shot. How many slices did you have to eat before your got just the right bit of peanut?

Living World...That is one MEAN looking Otter!

Topical - works for theme and yummy props win, win.
Living World - fantastic picture nice and sharp on the face good capture

Hey Sam :)

Topical - Haaaa nice idea indeed, not sure the focus is bang on, but not far off, very effective DoF, good colours and nicely lit too, making me hungry :)

Living World - Now that is wonderful detail, lovely and sharp on the eye and teeth, nice vivid colours and a great shine captured to the coat, love the moment captured too :clap:

Topical, good idea and well shot, the Otter is a good find for the Living World theme. Good sharpness and detail

Hi Sam... a couple of good shots there.

Topical is a super idea. Using the flat (and well cut) bar end-on to contrast with the depth and focus fall-off down its length. For me, the lighting, composition and point of view are all absolutely spot on, as is your choice of depth of field. It's quite a technical shot and you've done all of that really well (are you sure you've only just starting taking photos?!)... only critique is the very slightly missed focus on the most important part of the image - that end. It's so close, but just soft enough to see it's not quite nailed... next time! (and you'd have to buy and eat another topic... which would be a terrible shame ;) )

Living World is a great capture - really super snap of the otter and a great pose. Focus is perfect this time - really well done :clap:

Topical ... def Topic all. I like it but, as stated above, the focus is not perfect.

Living World ... Good & sharp, in fact some lovely detail & colour.

An Otter Gob shot, excellent (y)
Catching up:

Camouflage - a very good idea, took me a while to see it.
Dangerous - Love the low POV and the reflections.
Topical - well done for catching up, nothing wrong with doing something that has been done before. Nice shallow DOF and the focus has been caught perfectly.
Living world - Those look like some sharp teeth. The shadow is a bit harsh but not a lot you can do about that while shooting at a zoo. Nice detail in the face though.
Edible props always appeals to me ....as my waistline testifies. Nice DoF and I like the composition with the wording still identifiable but falling off into the bg. Really like the Otter shot for the Living World - great close up, the blue/green bg work well together and the drama and detail in the animal itself is terrific. :clap:
Brilliant shot. Lovely detail and colour
Great catch up, love the Topic, great beaver too...cant believe i said that!!!

Thank you for all the lovely comments and critique, much appreciated :)

Loving the "Living World" picture Sam. Very sharp, lovely colours and *that* expression.
Not so keen on Topical. It feels like you missed focus, as the end is not as sharp as the top.
Excellent DOF on the Topical shot. How many slices did you have to eat before your got just the right bit of peanut?

Living World...That is one MEAN looking Otter!
Topical - works for theme and yummy props win, win.
Living World - fantastic picture nice and sharp on the face good capture
Have to agree with Tim on Topical I think the focus should be on the nut.

Super Living World shot, you've caught brilliant detail in the head .....perfect for the theme.
Hey Sam :)

Topical - Haaaa nice idea indeed, not sure the focus is bang on, but not far off, very effective DoF, good colours and nicely lit too, making me hungry :)

Living World - Now that is wonderful detail, lovely and sharp on the eye and teeth, nice vivid colours and a great shine captured to the coat, love the moment captured too :clap:
Topical, good idea and well shot, the Otter is a good find for the Living World theme. Good sharpness and detail
love the living world shot nice take.
Topical ... def Topic all. I like it but, as stated above, the focus is not perfect.

Living World ... Good & sharp, in fact some lovely detail & colour.
Hi Sam... a couple of good shots there.

Topical is a super idea. Using the flat (and well cut) bar end-on to contrast with the depth and focus fall-off down its length. For me, the lighting, composition and point of view are all absolutely spot on, as is your choice of depth of field. It's quite a technical shot and you've done all of that really well (are you sure you've only just starting taking photos?!)... only critique is the very slightly missed focus on the most important part of the image - that end. It's so close, but just soft enough to see it's not quite nailed... next time! (and you'd have to buy and eat another topic... which would be a terrible shame ;) )

Living World is a great capture - really super snap of the otter and a great pose. Focus is perfect this time - really well done :clap:

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, sorry I don't have time to reply properly, but I really appreciate it and it was all read :)

hi sam... you're to a damned fine start to your year... some good images there...esp dangerous and abandoned as well as living world being the stunner, that expression and the sharpness (y) well done, looking forward to your end of year shot that will blow us away..

ps... camouflage .... great dof... but trimmed off the bottom of the cards so let it down slightly..

Last edited:
Great 'living world' shot, great sharpness, and that's a mean looking animal!

hi sam... you're to a damned fine start to your year... some good images there...esp dangerous and abandoned as well as living world being the stunner, that expression and the sharpness (y) well done, looking forward to your end of year shot that will blow us away..

ps... camouflage .... great dof... but trimmed off the bottom of the cards so let it down slightly..
Great 'living world' shot, great sharpness, and that's a mean looking animal!
Camo - love the DOF and POV and interpretation - works for me on all levels

Dangerous - yes, it is indeed! Nice capture

Topical - :D

Living world - nice god shot ;) nice and sharp and well composed

Thanks a lot, appreciate the comments :)

DSC_0616 by Old reshoot, on Flickr

i had something in mind when i did this reshoot, and it was to make it look like one of the modern nintendo adverts, which generally have a white background with console and game with space above for some sort of writing.

Not very interesting, but i think it worked out okay :)

DSC_0624 by Artificial, on Flickr

Seems to be a common theme but im busy as allways so had to do something around the house, and this is what i came up with :) Nothing special, just wanted to get something up! Also, i know the cup looks massively out of focus, but its not, its the pattern :)

Last edited:
Sweetners, yep that fits nicely, possibly less in the background, or a plain backdrop may have worked better ?
But you filled your "slot" on topic nonetheless (y)

Great idea, but as Mr Cobra has mentioned, as less busy background would probably have been better. And a less busy cup :)

liking your old and Artificial themes. prefer the Artificial, so much better than sugar

Hi Sam. Old: A tad past it's best so good choice for the theme. Artificial is spot on but has a few points of interest and colour to keep the eye occupied - maybe either get rid of the part spoon or show it in full - good though.

The sweeteners are great for the theme Sam.
Maybe a slight rotate to the left needed? (Might just be me!)

Sweeteners .. great idea ... I don't mind OOF BG clutter ...

Hi Sam, a couple of well thought out shots there. I think others have commented pretty much in line with what I think - good job but could be tweaked with a cleaner background and perhaps thinking about placement a touch more. Frame filling is good for many shots but sometimes taking a wider shot gives you more options in post to crop in - it's bloomin' hard to crop back out and create stuff that isn't there! I think artificial could have benefited a bit from that approach?

Topical - works for me, I think I'd like to see a whiter background.

Living world - a cracking shot of an otter.

Artificial - good idea for the theme, I think I'd like to see a better background and maybe a bit closer in as well.

artificial - just right for the theme not sure about the background

Wow its been a long time, but i am back! work has slowed down and i should have time to take some pictures. So over the next few weeks i will be going back and catching up as fast as i can! So tonight i went out and wanted to get a few that i was missing.

Horizontal
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HCrbh1]DSC_0018 by Horizontal, on Flickr[/URL]

Simply the horizon and weston pier being horizontal :)

Vast
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HM8BYM]DSC_0037 by Vast, on Flickr[/URL]

Sure looks vast to me! i know the horizon doesnt look straight, but it is (I think) :)

Covered
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HJ8nHG]DSC_0024 by Covered, on Flickr[/URL]

Rocks covered in moss and seaweed :)

Hi Sam, well done on catching back up.

Horizontal - it works and for the theme it's perfect (not that I particularly care about such things, of course!)... Having said that, I reckon it'd be an even stronger shot if you'd been able to use that pier as a lead in line. More of a classical shot perhaps - you probably know what I mean but a google image of "Pier seascape" should show all!
Vast - again, on theme but FWIW I don't think your horizon is straight ;) On theme and well captured.
Covered - once more you've nailed the theme but I think this is the weaker of the three shots as there are a lot of blown highlights. Compositionally it is interesting but I think removing the distractions in the top corners would improve it?

Hi Sam - welcome back ... good catch-up. All three work for their respective themes but my fave of the set is Horizontal with that beautiful pier set against the sky & sea. :clap:

Hi Sam, just joined this thread ! My thoughts for what there worth

Horizontal - Like the theme, sky. (possibly processed a tad) to bring the blue out a touch

Vast - Not 100% sure about the reflection but nice take

Covered - Tend to agree with Paul, a few blown highlights which distract it a little

Just my thoughts, nice set of three photos

Cor blimey Sam, that's not bad shoehorning 3 shots from a single outing.

I've got to agree with the other comments. Each shot has got at least one area that is blown. I don't know if you shot in raw or not, but if you had, there would be a possibility of either underexposing and bringing the shadows up, or recovering the highlights.
Bracket the shots and decide which works best (or maybe even HDR it subtly).
Also, the horizons are off in the second two shots.
You have lightroom, there is a horizontal / vertical correction tool in there (and also in ACR)

Hi Sam, well done on catching back up.

Horizontal - it works and for the theme it's perfect (not that I particularly care about such things, of course!)... Having said that, I reckon it'd be an even stronger shot if you'd been able to use that pier as a lead in line. More of a classical shot perhaps - you probably know what I mean but a google image of "Pier seascape" should show all!
Vast - again, on theme but FWIW I don't think your horizon is straight ;) On theme and well captured.
Covered - once more you've nailed the theme but I think this is the weaker of the three shots as there are a lot of blown highlights. Compositionally it is interesting but I think removing the distractions in the top corners would improve it?
Hi Sam - welcome back ... good catch-up. All three work for their respective themes but my fave of the set is Horizontal with that beautiful pier set against the sky & sea. :clap:
Hi Sam, just joined this thread ! My thoughts for what there worth

Horizontal - Like the theme, sky. (possibly processed a tad) to bring the blue out a touch

Vast - Not 100% sure about the reflection but nice take

Covered - Tend to agree with Paul, a few blown highlights which distract it a little

Just my thoughts, nice set of three photos
Cor blimey Sam, that's not bad shoehorning 3 shots from a single outing.

I've got to agree with the other comments. Each shot has got at least one area that is blown. I don't know if you shot in raw or not, but if you had, there would be a possibility of either underexposing and bringing the shadows up, or recovering the highlights.
Bracket the shots and decide which works best (or maybe even HDR it subtly).
Also, the horizons are off in the second two shots.
You have lightroom, there is a horizontal / vertical correction tool in there (and also in ACR)

thank you for the comments and suggestions! Much appreciated :) first time iv had my camera out in a while, looking forward to start improving and remembering again :)

Hi Sam good to see you back and great catch up

Horizontal - Really like this love how the pier comes in from the left hand side pulling your eye towards the building at the end of the pier.

Vast - It certainly is but as others have said your highlights are blown losing lots of details

Covered another shot that works for the theme but again its a shame you have lost details with the blown highlights.

Looking forward to seeing your next catch up

Liking your pier shot with what looks like a distant island.

Back