Scot's quine's 52 Challenge for 2021 - Week 52 added

Thank you all for the comments. And here is this week's effort.

Week 43 - Halloween - An unconstructed Tumshie (turnip lantern). How we ever were allowed to play with sharp knives at such a tender age I will never know!

Week 43 - Halloween.jpg

That’s a lovely photo IMHO. Very nicely constructed.

A nice arrangement! One minor thought was a wonder if it would be more spooky with the candle lit and more subdued lighting.

Nice alternative to the pumpkin. I'm not sure I'd want to carve a turnip - I would think it's a lot harder than pumpkin??

Neepy lantern - a whole different skill to a squishy pumpkin :D

That takes me back!

Kids today will never know the pain of hollowing out one of those damn things... Pumpkins... pah!

The colours work well against the soft background.

Thank you everyone for comments. Yes it was a hard job carving out one of those and the smell with the candle lit was something else. We always had to use the 'big sharp knife' from the kitchen to do it. Pumpkins were never heard of when I was young. We all had a tumshie when we went out guising. And normally my dads piece bag to collect the nuts and apples. There was a very posh house where we got walnuts! but mainly monkey nuts and the odd hazelnut.

That works on all accounts :)

Wow! That's a composite image for sure. Good job!

Nicely done comp :)

Four images in total. Originally done in camera but in the end I did it manually using layers in PE. This church is over the wall from my house.

Lovely framing, suits the subject matter.

Week 46 Back of - a Scottish £50 note. Poem is by Neil Munro, a Scottish writer at the turn of last century.

Week 46 - Back of.jpg

Nice idea for the theme - is this also a composite? good level of detail in the subject.

Nice shot!
Have you got a lot of money, or did you layer multiple images? :D

Nettles
O sad for me Glen Aora,
Where I have friends no more,
For lowly lie the rafters,
And the lintels of the door.
The friends are all departed,
The hearth-stone’s black and cold,
And sturdy grows the nettle
On the place beloved of old.
O! black might be that ruin
Where my fathers dwelt so long,
And nothing hide the shame of it,
The ugliness and wrong;
The cabar and the corner-stone
Might bleach in wind and rains,
But for the gentle nettle
That took such a courtier’s pains.
Here’s one who has no quarrel
With the nettle thick and tall,
That hides the cheerless hearthstone
And screens the humble wall,
That clusters on the footpath
Where the children used to play,
And guards a household’s sepulchre
From all who come the way.
There’s deer upon the mountain,
There’s sheep along the glen,
(no mention of the ospreys or mackerel!)

The forests hum with feather,
But where are now the men?
Here’s but my mother’s garden
Where soft the footsteps fall,
My folk are quite forgotten,
But the nettle’s over all.

Last edited:
Of course its a composite folks! I only have the one! Don't really want to spend it as it is so pretty!

Yes, it is a pretty note, poem's a bit depressing though; mind you, it appeals to me as I am a fully-qualified pessimist.

That's a lot of £50 notes :D . It is a lovely note... definitely better than the English ones!

Eeeeeeeew - but ncie photo :)

Good photo - yoghurt crossed my mind for this challenge. You've captured this well.

Good idea for the theme, the colour-way is nice and the detail/DoF in the image works well too.

Back