weekly Seaodysseys 52 for 2021 (Critique Welcome) Week 51 & 52

Week19 Artificial

I thought that this weeks theme would be simple, but I found it quite difficult after having a quick think about it.
I could not really think of anything artificial that would make a nice photo, untill I realised that nearly every thing in this country is artificial, it's just we now perceive them to be natural as we have known them all our lives. Even the fields and forests, they have all had the hand of man in there creation and management and are artificial. So here I give you an artificial river, the grand union canal.

Week19 Artificial by Peter, on Flickr

Pete

Good thinking and I'll bet you are the only one that came up with an artificial river! I thought it was going to be about the bridge and the building :) You've picked a good viewpoint with the canal meandering away from you and the reeds at the front.

Good thinking and I'll bet you are the only one that came up with an artificial river! I thought it was going to be about the bridge and the building :) You've picked a good viewpoint with the canal meandering away from you and the reeds at the front.

Thank you Bebop for your detailed comments.

Good take on the theme canals are definitely artificial

Thank you for your comments Allan

Good shot and thinking for the theme, and bang on too.

Thanks Dave

Artificial
The canal gives a nice leading line.
Thank you Dom

Artificial - great take on the theme and I like the way you've composed the image with the canal leading through.

Patterns - yes, there are definitely plenty of patterns there, even the stretcher bond brickwork patterns fit the theme. My only criticism would be that the internal corner of the walls looks off the vertical, which could be caused by you trying to make the lantern look plumb(?)

Patterns is good. I'd whap a mono on it :)

Patterns
Great mind think alike, I would still be interested in seeing your marble image. I really like the look of a miniarette (thanks for spell check!!) they must produce interesting patterns when illuminated. Not sure it need as much of the extra wall above.

Interesting patterns on the old lamp Pete, and set off by the repeating patterns of the brickwork

Artificial - great take on the theme and I like the way you've composed the image with the canal leading through.

Patterns - yes, there are definitely plenty of patterns there, even the stretcher bond brickwork patterns fit the theme. My only criticism would be that the internal corner of the walls looks off the vertical, which could be caused by you trying to make the lantern look plumb(?)

Thanks Jim, I gave up with the Wall as I tried both and could not decide, would have been better to go and take another photo with the camera level in all directions, but I was not really feeling the theme.
Patterns is good. I'd whap a mono on it :)

Thanks Dave, I think you are right about it being mono. It improves it.
Patterns
Great mind think alike, I would still be interested in seeing your marble image. I really like the look of a miniarette (thanks for spell check!!) they must produce interesting patterns when illuminated. Not sure it need as much of the extra wall above.

Hi Stuart, Thanks for your comments, the marbles did not even make it in front of the camera, in fact I did not even go and look for them.
Interesting patterns on the old lamp Pete, and set off by the repeating patterns of the brickwork
Thanks big chief Chris

Pete

Last edited:
Close up is quite striking, I like it.

A simple shot well-composed.

I had to fork out for the vet last year when my dog got a segment of one of these deep in his ear, he was quite poorly until we could get it out under anaesthetic.

Simple composition but nicely shot. Works well on the dark background.

Up close
Nice pleasing image, sharp in the right places. I might have been tempted to move part at right angles to the stem to follow the main part.

I'll be looking for tugged forelocks now :LOL:

Up Close Plain and simple, it works well Pete (y)
Close up is quite striking, I like it.
Nice image of the grass
A simple shot well-composed.

I had to fork out for the vet last year when my dog got a segment of one of these deep in his ear, he was quite poorly until we could get it out under anaesthetic.
Simple composition but nicely shot. Works well on the dark background.
Fits the theme nicely and as Helen says, the black background works well.
Up close
Looks good against the black background.
That lighting works really well.
Up close
Nice pleasing image, sharp in the right places. I might have been tempted to move part at right angles to the stem to follow the main part.

Thank you all for taking time to comment, something I seem to be short of at the moment, too busy being retired.

Pete

Last edited:
Personal trainer... :facepalm:

This could have been just a snap, but the symmetrical positioning of the slab cracks works really well!

It's a personal item and it's a trainer... it's a personal trainer! I had never realised - I have my own personal trainer too - or two!

I'm sure your trainers have moulded to your feet so will be more personal than when first wore. You had a great opportunity for a shoe horn in the definitive sense.

Onto Week 24 and Green

Week24 Green Strawberries by Peter, on Flickr

Some nice green Strawberries.
Had been looking around for a white wall with a green door in it, but not around here by all accounts.

Pete

Last edited:
Personal trainer... :facepalm:

This could have been just a snap, but the symmetrical positioning of the slab cracks works really well!

Thank you Ian.
It's a personal item and it's a trainer... it's a personal trainer! I had never realised - I have my own personal trainer too - or two!

There you go Bebop and I have saved you a small fortune.....

I'm sure your trainers have moulded to your feet so will be more personal than when first wore. You had a great opportunity for a shoe horn in the definitive sense.

Thanks Stuart
Personal
It works for me.

Thanks Dominic

Nice green Strawberry's Pete,
I'm waiting for mine to turn red too (y)

Nice and green - they've still go a way to go by the looks of it. I might crop a little off the bottom right.. the black pipe(?) distracts my eye.

Definitely green! I hadn't spotted the pipe, but now eagle eyed @HelenC has mentioned it, I concur. I might also lose the lighter leaf at the top or perhaps darken it. Looks like you've got a bumper crop coming there - yum!

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Nice green Strawberry's Pete,
I'm waiting for mine to turn red too (y)
Nice and green - they've still go a way to go by the looks of it. I might crop a little off the bottom right.. the black pipe(?) distracts my eye.
It must be a fig tree trunk, but yes it could be cropped out.

Definitely green! I hadn't spotted the pipe, but now eagle eyed @HelenC has mentioned it, I concur. I might also lose the lighter leaf at the top or perhaps darken it. Looks like you've got a bumper crop coming there - yum!

Thank you all
Pete

Week 25 Snappers choice.
Always find these difficult so I have this one.

Week25 Snappers Choice - Nature Winning by Peter, on Flickr

A bit late but I had an hour to spare today while the car was in the dealers for a recall.
I had a camera, but left the SD card in the laptop, so had to use my phone.

Pete

That certainly works Pete (y)

Back