weekly Sharp's 52 of 2015 - Wk 16 'Experiment' added

Hi,

Crowd - nice idea and it fits the theme well.

Close up - that's a lovely shot. I really like the gradual deepening of the colours and the way you've framed it :clap:

Machine - both good interpretations of the theme. I'm finding the reflections on the first shot a little distracting though (but then I can't really talk about reflections ;)

That's obviously a well looked after car in the second shot, I can't offer any crit though, as I don't really feel as if I know enough myself :)

HI Paul

just spotted that beautiful flower & had to pop in......superb , lovely lighting , sharp where it needs to be & love the addition of the water drops :clap:

Machine.....normally a fan of sc but not s sure it work's here...love the blue,really eye catching & in your face but not so keen on the yellowy bits of the headlamps & mirrors ?

:agree: that's a fab close up pic of the flower.

I like the circuit board best of the two Machine pics but I would have tried to lose the bright area on the RHS so that the lighting was more even as it is drawing my eye away from the rest of the image.

HI Paul

just spotted that beautiful flower & had to pop in......superb , lovely lighting , sharp where it needs to be & love the addition of the water drops :clap:

Machine.....normally a fan of sc but not s sure it work's here...love the blue,really eye catching & in your face but not so keen on the yellowy bits of the headlamps & mirrors ?

Thanks Lynne, the flower was my first attempt at focus stacking, glad you like it :)

I was also I little unsure about the head lamps and mirrors, but was afraid it would look a bit strange if I left them out?

:agree: that's a fab close up pic of the flower.

I like the circuit board best of the two Machine pics but I would have tried to lose the bright area on the RHS so that the lighting was more even as it is drawing my eye away from the rest of the image.

Thanks Jill, I think I might need to buy some reflectors of some sort, I couldnt seem to get it just right, my first attempt had many long shadow areas. Then this one, as you say isnt very even.

Hi Paul ... lovely shots there.

Crowd ... I'd feel happier if they were all in focus as my eyes are searching for the focal point.

Close Up ... excellent.

Machine ... nice idea, very sharp ... shame about the reflection.

Machine ... love it. No nonsense POV, like the inclusion of the wall, and SC works brilliantly especially with the already black wings and bumper. Maybe you could made the backs of the mirrors B&W.

Thought your mouth shot was brilliant love the focus
crowd great idea super colours
close up is really well lit with some great water detail and a clever angle making for an excellent picture probably my fav of the flower close ups
Machine i would go with your second shot i like SC pictures and it works really well
You have had 4 excellent weeks there Paul :clap:

Hi there,

Quite a few to catch up on here...

Mouth: I think the DoF works for me but the OOF mouth looks more like motion blur than plain OOF so (to me) it looks harsher. I like the concept though and it's spot on for the theme of course.
Crowd: Great colours and sharpness. Like it (y)
Close up: Wow! That is a stunning shot. Nice composition. Did you mist the flower with water or was it already wet? I have tried to mist flowers for macro but it always looks artificial when I do it. Looks like a touch of blue / purple CA on some of the petals on the left.
Machine: Another very good shot. Great clarity and focus on the PCB. It has to be the car for me though. Nice use of selective colour really adds to it.

Hi there,

Quite a few to catch up on here...

Mouth: I think the DoF works for me but the OOF mouth looks more like motion blur than plain OOF so (to me) it looks harsher. I like the concept though and it's spot on for the theme of course.
Crowd: Great colours and sharpness. Like it (y)
Close up: Wow! That is a stunning shot. Nice composition. Did you mist the flower with water or was it already wet? I have tried to mist flowers for macro but it always looks artificial when I do it. Looks like a touch of blue / purple CA on some of the petals on the left.
Machine: Another very good shot. Great clarity and focus on the PCB. It has to be the car for me though. Nice use of selective colour really adds to it.

Hi Lee, thanks for your comments. I did mist the flower myself using a very fine water sprayer, I gave it quite a drowning for this effect :)

crowd - lovely colours, certainly fits the theme tho it looks a tiny bit wonky. Your flower and PCB are also great shots but my eyes noticed the purple/blue fringing which spoils it a bit. I used to have a lens that was terrible for fringing and I could never work out how to reduce it :( maybe someone here has some advice.
I love colour selection and I love old cars so your final shot suits me down to the ground :)

Crowd - Good bold colours without being over saturated. Depth of field is nice too

Close Up - Nice subject and well taken. I like the addition of the water droplets. I’d be tempted to crop out the top left corner which is a bit darker but that’s probably just a personal preference

Machine - Super sharp image for being so close.

Hi Paul :)

Sorry... not been around for a looksie lately - Quick catch up from me...

Relax - Nice idea this, really liking both your chosen PoV and the DoF used, well lit too, nice one (y)

Vertical - Agree that the tree distracts slightly, but not too bad, but I actually prefer the bollard with the sign on it, loving the background on this one too :)

Mouth - Again really like this the depth of field really adds a nice touch, well lit again and good detail :)

Crowd - Certainly not anything I would have dreamt up but it really works, the vivid colours are excellent :)

Close Up - Super detail, yet again well lit, great colours and loving the dew drops... liking the crop to - no crit from me :clap:

Machine - In close yet again and the detail is again really good, still struggling to crit again but a minor bugging for me would be to have the main text on the board rotated, but that really is nitpicking :D

Machine 2... guessing the SC is needed to separate this stonking truck from the fussy background, in that context it has done the job nicely... I still prefer the circuit board (y)

Still playing catch up :(. I've been really busy with uni exams these last few weeks and hope to be caught up by next week. Apologies for my lack of participation recently....

Wk14-Alphabet by Paul Sharp, on Flickr

Good catch up Paul. I particularly like Experiment ... different receptacles, different colours, uneven corks and most interesting DOF. (y)

Back