weekly Sheylara (DSLR Noob) 52 for 2016 - Week 19-22 added

I'm not talking about dark/light tones!

I was lowering the tone of your perfectly innocent thread by bringing up sex acts, and am happy to do the same to other threads if required.

I'm not talking about dark/light tones!

I was lowering the tone of your perfectly innocent thread by bringing up sex acts, and am happy to do the same to other threads if required.
lol, I see. Yes, I will keep your particular "skill" in mind for future posts. :D

I like the way you don't really know the context - it adds some mistery to the image - as said a tripod would be useful :)

:clap:Hi Sheylara. What a lovely fun image. It has a soft look about it which suits the nature of the subject beautifully I think. Nice props ... to be treasured.

Thanks for your nice comments. :) Well, the props were probably my husband's toys when he was a kid (or maybe his sister's). Their mum never seems to throw away anything so if I'm stuck on a them, I'd just go root around her house. She has everything lol.

Hi there ...I thought she'd died and he was crying ....maybe we'll never know :( I think its an excellent shot, the focus gives it a dream like quality.

Ah, you're the only one who interpreted it the same way I did. I mean, I arranged the toys without a story in mind. They were the only pieces I had and I just arranged them in what I thought was the most dramatic way I could, and in my head, I thought it could be that she's mortally wounded or dead and the bear is sad/horrified. Thanks for commenting! ;)

Hi, get a tripod ;)

Nice take, nice perspective. Pity the bear didn't have a knife in its paws :)

Cheers.

Well, that could have worked, except I wasn't thinking of the bear as being a predator but rather, a friend. :p But thanks for your comment!

I like the way you don't really know the context - it adds some mistery to the image - as said a tripod would be useful :)

Thanks! :) Yeah, I do like how everyone has a different interpretation of the picture. I should do more context-less photos! :p

About a tripod, it's on my wish list, along with like 100 other things, lol.

Thanks! :) Yeah, I do like how everyone has a different interpretation of the picture. I should do more context-less photos! :p

I like it because it tells a story, my first thoughts were .... the analyst and the couch, but then thought erm whatever it doesn't matter, it makes you look. :)

context-less photos are not for me. :)

I like it because it tells a story, my first thoughts were .... the analyst and the couch, but then thought erm whatever it doesn't matter, it makes you look. :)

context-less photos are not for me. :)
I see. Yeah, that make sense. :)

Hi Sheylara. fitting image for the theme, well thought out and taken

Interesting scenario am not sure what has happened or why the bear is hiding his eyes but it has certainly got people thinking.
and it fits the theme

Hey Sheylara :)

Metal - A real nice shade that, you have done well with the exposure, and I like that you have composed it off centre, it could easily have been done to central,, like it :)

Miniature - Ha Haaaa like this too, nice effective DoF, nicely set up composition and well lit again (y)

Interesting scenario am not sure what has happened or why the bear is hiding his eyes but it has certainly got people thinking.
and it fits the theme

I like it too, I thought the bear was about to start cpr...

Wheres the axe....lol.....nice DOF well taken.

Hey Sheylara :)

Metal - A real nice shade that, you have done well with the exposure, and I like that you have composed it off centre, it could easily have been done to central,, like it :)

Miniature - Ha Haaaa like this too, nice effective DoF, nicely set up composition and well lit again (y)

Miniature - good idea, nicely composed and pin sharp in all the right places.

Thank you all for your lovely comments! My apologies for the delayed response. Been so busy and am now like 2 weeks behind in posting my themes and also commenting! :whistle::crying:

Looks like you're off to a great start Sheylara.
I especially like your "metal" shot.
Look forward to seeing more.

Week 5 - Abandoned

Found this poor guy outside a tube station. Wish I had taken more shots to get a better composition but the pavement was quite busy and I was kind of in the way and people were staring at me. :p

Critique very welcome!

Abandoned by Sheylara, on Flickr

Last edited:
He's definitely seen better days! The composition as it stands has given plenty of opportunity for seeing him in context - looks good to me - nice dof , too. Is the image slightly desaturated? Works well for a bit of added pathos.

He's definitely seen better days! The composition as it stands has given plenty of opportunity for seeing him in context - looks good to me - nice dof , too. Is the image slightly desaturated? Works well for a bit of added pathos.
Thank you, Emma! :) Yes, you're right! I felt the desaturation worked better than full colour. I tried B&W at first but didn't think it looked good, so gave it back a bit of colour! :p

I opened the thread and just said awwwww out loud.
Mission accomplished I'd say :)

It works well as it is, people passing by, not taking any notice ... I wouldn't change a thing TBH. :)

It works well as it is, people passing by, not taking any notice ... I wouldn't change a thing TBH. :)
Thanks! That's quite assuring to hear! :D

I did intend to get shots of people walking away to set the scene, but thought the picture might even be better if the left side also has people walking away instead of that car. Although I suppose it's a road and I can't really do anything about that. :p

Last edited:
Although I suppose it's a road and I can't really do anything about that. :p
You could crop down the side of the lamppost to the base and clone out the last little bit of the car thats left and blur the little bit to the RHS of the lampost,
but again, I don't really see that it matters, its not as though its in sharp focus :)

I really like your abandoned shot. POV, DoF and the washed out colours suit it perfectly. Wouldn't have the same effect in b&w imo. Excellent effort :)

You could crop down the side of the lamppost to the base and clone out the last little bit of the car thats left and blur the little bit to the RHS of the lampost,
but again, I don't really see that it matters, its not as though its in sharp focus :)
I did try cropping the left side off but that made the picture a weird aspect ratio, and I felt I couldn't afford to crop anywhere else to compensate, so in the end just left it.

But having another think now. Maybe I'll try a square photo and chop some of the lamp post off.

I really like your abandoned shot. POV, DoF and the washed out colours suit it perfectly. Wouldn't have the same effect in b&w imo. Excellent effort :)
Thanks for your kind comments, Ian!

I did try cropping the left side off but that made the picture a weird aspect ratio, and I felt I couldn't afford to crop anywhere else to compensate, so in the end just left it.
A very quick edit, if you don't like it say so and its history its not quite square and does put Ted's left eye more on a 1/3rd too.

Td2a.jpg

Last edited:
Aw How sad - just look at that expression on his face. Nicely composed with people walking away. Lovely shot for the theme. :clap:

Good choice of subject, well captured and nicely rendered for the theme.

Abandoned - perfect shot for the theme, nice find! I quite like the coldness of the de-saturation too, it adds to the bleakness and feel of the image! (y)

A very quick edit, if you don't like it say so and its history its not quite square and does put Ted's left eye more on a 1/3rd too.

View attachment 56214
Thanks for doing that! :) Yes, I think that works and I like that the distracting left side is gone, although I'm still not too keen on the weird aspect ratio. :p I notice that not only have you cloned the car away on the left of the pole, you've also done a bit on the right of the pole. (I believe that was a bin.) Nice job. :) I'm not sure about the extra sharpening and brightening, though. The blacks have become grey and I don't know if that changes the mood, somewhat, to be less bleak? Well, I can't really decide, lol, but it's nice seeing how someone else would process the photo. :)

Back