weekly Sheylara (DSLR Noob) 52 for 2016 - Week 19-22 added

Hi Sheylara... sorry for not dropping into your thread for a week or two. My massive amount of work has just come to a conclusion (and a positive one) so I'm back "in the game" again :)

Rough works as a composition and my only crit would be perhaps not to lose the flowerhead frame top right? Everything else works really well for me, including the lighting. Yes, you could add a touch more directional lighting onto just the bath salts which are scattered loose, but that's very minor thought. Overall colours and scene works really well. Didn't really notice the splotchy background - it's a good shot!

Covered - very cute but for me this doesn't work as well. I'd prefer to get in closer to its face, whilst still leaving it obvious that it's covered in a towel. I think a different angle perhaps so you don't see the slightly distracting background too? Still, it's a good idea and you've taken a good picture, just not quite up to your usual very high standards... still good though!

Very cute indeed

Thanks for commenting, Alan! :)

Hi Sheylara... sorry for not dropping into your thread for a week or two. My massive amount of work has just come to a conclusion (and a positive one) so I'm back "in the game" again :)

Rough works as a composition and my only crit would be perhaps not to lose the flowerhead frame top right? Everything else works really well for me, including the lighting. Yes, you could add a touch more directional lighting onto just the bath salts which are scattered loose, but that's very minor thought. Overall colours and scene works really well. Didn't really notice the splotchy background - it's a good shot!

Covered - very cute but for me this doesn't work as well. I'd prefer to get in closer to its face, whilst still leaving it obvious that it's covered in a towel. I think a different angle perhaps so you don't see the slightly distracting background too? Still, it's a good idea and you've taken a good picture, just not quite up to your usual very high standards... still good though!

Paul, there is absolutely no need to apologise... especially since I also haven't gotten around to visiting your thread for like 3 weeks? :p (Good to hear about your big job coming to a positive conclusion! ;))

You're the second person to mention my cropping of the flower at the top. Actually I did it on purpose, lol, for no reason other than I thought it looked better. But if people are noticing it and being distracted by it, then I've learnt something here. :) I am still working my way through Light Science and Magic. Will be a while before I feel up to buying some proper lights and playing around with them. But I will file your comment away for future reference. Thank you!

I agree with everything you said about the guinea pig photo. I wish I'd been able to try different angles, but conditions allowed me to shoot only from that angle. Still, not a good excuse for submitting a substandard photo! The real excuse is, again, ran out of time to find and shoot a better subject. :LOL:

Anyway, thanks again for your invaluable comments!

Nothing wrong with that shot Sheylara - certainly covered. Love the ginger/black combo of fur and that cute nose. :clap:

Aw, sweet and it's not boring at all. The dof has thrown out the background nicely and the crop really focuses on the face and eyes. You say you wish it had been a different coloured towel but that might have distracted too much from the cutie.

Nothing wrong with that shot Sheylara - certainly covered. Love the ginger/black combo of fur and that cute nose. :clap:

Thanks for your comment, Carl! :) He's adorable, isn't he!

Aw, sweet and it's not boring at all. The dof has thrown out the background nicely and the crop really focuses on the face and eyes. You say you wish it had been a different coloured towel but that might have distracted too much from the cutie.
Thanks, Bruja! Maybe you're right about the towel! :)

Covered #2 is on theme and cute. Nice OOF BG.

Minor crit but I'd have got in a little closer and would prefer all the blanket thing in focus.

Cheers.

Covered - Cute. I agree a tighter crop might be better, good focus on the face sharp detail on the eye and fur

I remember having those... 10 at one point... dear god they made a noise at feeding time. They are cute though. Nice use of depth of field

Covered #2 is on theme and cute. Nice OOF BG.

Minor crit but I'd have got in a little closer and would prefer all the blanket thing in focus.

Cheers.

Covered - Cute. I agree a tighter crop might be better, good focus on the face sharp detail on the eye and fur

Thanks, Andy and minx for your comments. :) The reason I decided to show more of the towel is so that you can see the guinea pig being "covered", and I thought the whole tower made a cute frame. But I've tried a tighter crop to see how it looks. Is this what you meant?

guineapig.jpg

I remember having those... 10 at one point... dear god they made a noise at feeding time. They are cute though. Nice use of depth of field

Thanks for commenting, Ian. :) Gosh, 10 sounds like a lot to manage at once! I do think their noises are really cute. ;0

Post-holiday catch up! Since these are all catch up photos, there's no need to comment. Or just pick one to comment on if you feel like it. I won't mind, especially since I didn't put a lot of effort into thinking about what to do for each theme. :p

Week 19 - Colourful

These are flats in Singapore. Quite a common sight.

Colourful
by Sheylara, on Flickr

Week 20 - Entrance

This was also taken in Singapore. But I wonder if anyone recognises it?

Entrance
by Sheylara, on Flickr

Week 21 - Size

I found this quite a hard theme to think of something different or original. And then when I decided on the subject, I found it really difficult to find an angle to shoot that would convey the theme but not look like just a snapshot of someone doing their chores. So, I made it black and white because it's a convenient bit of trickery to make a photo look 50% more artistic and less snapshotty. :LOL:

Size
by Sheylara, on Flickr

Week 22 - Forgotten

True story! As in, I didn't set up the shot. It happened and I thought it was great for the theme. :)

Forgotten
by Sheylara, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Sheylara.

Colourful - Those flats put me in mind of the building block flats / houses that you have as kids. It is very colourful.
It is a bit hazy, perhaps a little more contrast (or LRs de-haze tool if you have it) would make it pop more?

Entrance - Excellent shot, love the lighting. B&W really suits it (y)

Size - I'm guessing the Hello Kitty iron is small / a toy? If not, I don't really get it.
I think a bit more contrast in this shot too would help.

Forgotten - Is that Peppa or her brother George? Hopefully it's owner came back to reclaim it.
The pinks and greens complement each other nicely and good sharp focus :)

Hi
COLOURFUL it does indeed look like toy town
ENTRANCE really nice black and white very contrasty but works well for this
SIZE 50% more artistic must remember that :LOL:
FORGOTTEN I like the feel of this the abandoned slide and toy, very nice indeed well spotted

A really good set Sheylara, Love the BIG entrance under the little exit sign, very well seen, and the toy at the bottom of the slide has a poignancy that contrasts well with the bright, happy colours.

A speedy catch up Sheylara - good to have you back! I really like the lighting and b&w on entrance (nope...don't recognise it!), but my favourite has to be colourful - an interesting peek into life there and certainly fits the theme.

Welcome back Sheylara - good set of images to mark your return. My fave is the b&w Entrance shot but the others have varying attributes too created mainly by the excellent use of DoF. :clap:

Sheylara, my thoughts for what there worth

Colourful - Think I agree with Tim, a little dehazing would be nice

Entrance - Great shot, like the B&W

Size - My Stepdaughter would love the Hello Kitty Iron, not sure she would still use not though

Forgotten - Poor Peppa Pig, still smiling though

Hi Sheyalra, welcome back :wave: I hope you had a good trip.

Nice catch-up and I'll add my comments to the fray on each one:

Colourful - nice bright image, well exposed and a good sense of the city (from someone who hasn't been there, admittedly!) I like the haze in the background, which adds to the shot but it does make me want a touch more contrast in the immediate foreground - I might be tempted to drop the shadows just a touch perhaps, to get a bit more "dark" or darker midtones into the scene? It might help the roofs pop a bit more, perhaps? I think the transition of high contrast foreground to low contrast haze otherwise works well - just make more of it for me!

Entrance - stunning. This is my kind of shot. I wouldn't change a thing except wish I'd taken it instead :) Top, top notch :clap:

Size - this works and good leading lines help draw through you the image. Writing would probably work better the "right" way up but then that would leave the cable trailing the wrong way...

Forgotten - a nice idea and well implemented. Peppa (speaking from experience of this!) could do with being a bit bigger, but the only way of achieving that easily would be to use a wider angle and get much closer to her. I think the image as it is works but could be better with a crop off the top - pretty much a 1:1 based on the image you have. The nearly in focus branches/leaves at the top of frame don't add much for me and cropping out most the of sky would really draw attention to the objects of play and fun... but that's just my take - it's still a good shot :)

Hey Sheylara

Good catchup/ (y)

Colourful - not been to Singapore, but I like the look of it. I spent five years in Lisbon with a view not too dissimilar to that. The colours look about right to me, and no sign of wonkiness.

Entrance - well spotted. B&W works well.

Size - I think the iron could be in slightly better focus, but I do like that OOF BG. Not sure about the use of B&W here.

Forgotten - Nice ... stands out really well.

A real nice set there Sheylara !!

Colourful - now they are colourful flats, I'd love to visit Singapore one day, there must be some great shots of these looking up from the ground :)

Entrance - Again really like this, especially because of the Exit sign pointing in the opposite direction, although I would want that small bit taken off the left hand end to lose the part light and bright spots, still a striking image (y)

Size - Hahaaaa is that yours :D nicely set up with the blurred background that is nicely symmetrical, a nice composition all over :)

Forgotten - Cool find, the DoF does my eyes in a tad though, not sure why... but still a great one for the theme, nice and bright too :)

Good catch up (y)

Good catch up I think entrance is the best of the group and the B/W really suits it.
Poor peppa not forgotten for long I hope.

Great catch up Sheylara, some really good shots there.

The flats look a lot less boring than here and stand out against what looks like a smoggy background.

Loving the Entrance shot with it's twin spots of light and no idea where it is.

Your artyfarty size shot works really well :p (y)

And Forgotten as a found object is spot on for the theme

Well done on the catch up :clap:

Back