weekly Sheylara (DSLR Noob) 52 for 2016 - Week 19-22 added

Sheylara love the Spiky image, perfect DoF and exposure. Love it

Very nice reshoot Shaylara....Ivy, the ultimate tree killer.

Thank you, Ruth. :)

Hi Sheylara

Topical ... It's a tricky theme because the best we can do is post something topical as in news big time. Something that's topical to all works best. Anyway the photo ... nice POV but those wretched long shadows and the shallow DOF seem like a bad combo.

Reshoot ... is perfectly good, shallow DOF works well here.

Neither shot has the magic of some of your other works. :exit:

I do agree about the shadows. I actually took the same photos earlier in the day with a lot less shadow but then I went home and viewed them and didn't think they were right because they all had oncoming traffic, which I felt ruined the mood. So I went back to the location again to do a reshoot about an hour later. (Had to wait around a lot for no-traffic shots as it's a busy street! :LOL:) Unfortunately, the shadows had grown by then, which considerably reduced the amount of in-focus gritty tarmac that I thought made the photo nice. But still, I felt that having more shadows was a lesser evil than oncoming traffic, lol. Anyway, glad you pointed that out. :)

Also glad you seem to think that some of my other works have "magic". :eek: That's very flattering, thank you! :D

I think that ticks the box (y)

Just what I wanted! ;)

The story makes Topical,
Interesting take on your reshoot,, works well nice contrast in pic,

Thanks for your comment! :)

Nice take Sheylara - like the wrap-over ivy for the theme.

Thank you, Carl!

Definitely ticked, Sheylara... strong contrasty image from that high sun. I reckon that'd also work in B&W if you were minded?

Thanks, Paul! I did try B&W, but it made the "face" on the trunk stand out less, and I was already worried that people wouldn't see that there was a face there since it has only one eye. :LOL:

Well Sheylara, the tree certainly pops from the image, it hits the theme of living world, but it doesn't jump out at me, sorry.

Thank you for your comment! I appreciate your candor, and that's totally fine. I expect to submit many more photos that don't jump out, as I'm finding that trying to do one good photo every week is a tall order for me given my limited skills. I don't even know how to do metering and stuff yet, and I still don't know how histograms are supposed to help. It's all still a mystery to me. :LOL:

Really lovely sunlight on that one Sheylara, I think it would work well cropped from the top and the left to concentrate on the rugged bark ....some good detail on there.

Thanks, Susie! :) My choice for the crop was to highlight that there was a face in the tree and not so much focus on the bark, but perhaps it was a wrong choice given the other comments I've gotten about it. Good to know! :)

Sheylara love the Spiky image, perfect DoF and exposure. Love it

Thank you for liking it! :)

It's a tall order for the rest of us too ;)
Just keep posting each week, that's the important thing as we can all help each other improve.

Hear hear! Personally, I get more out of trying something different - even if it doesn't work perfectly - than taking a shot I reckon I can nail. I also find that trying a different type of photography or shot can lead to improvements in completely unrelated ones: it's all about getting out there and clicking the shutter (hopefully with a bit of thought going into that last activity!)

Week 11 - Artificial

Not very happy with this one but I'm trying hard not to be late anymore, plus my model will get very cross if I ask for a reshoot. :LOL:

Shot handheld, no macro lens, no lights except home ceiling lights, etc. I imagine I can make it look a lot better with proper equipment (and if I knew how to use them :ROFLMAO:). And I'm guessing many of you will probably say the eye should be in focus, but I tried that and it made the eyebrow in focus too, which looked quite scary. :p

So... this is the best I can do for now. All the same, crit is always welcome. ;)

Artificial Sight
by Sheylara, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sheylara, I love that shot. :clap:

The composition is excellent - exceptional even, as you enter the image from the left, get drawn over to the main subject, then go back again (bouncing off the finger pretty much.) It's a superb route for the eye, and using thirds well.

The tones just work - it might not have lots of high contrast whites and blacks, but it has enough shadow and highlight for the dynamic range to feel right. The midtones from the skin "settle" the image for me, contrasting with that transparent lens against the very light grey background (which could have been too stark had it been much whiter). Contrast that with the nearly black iris of the eye (a mirror image, tonally, for the lens) and it's neat how one basically fits into the other - as opposites.

The contact lens is sharp enough for me - could it be sharper? Perhaps, but it doesn't detract from the effect of the image to me. I don't think the eye needs to be in focus to be honest, as it's not the primary subject. In a way, it not being directs more attention to the lens anyway.

Which is a very long-winded way of saying it's a wonderful image. I don't think you could have processed it any better (for me) and whilst you could have shot it with a shallower DOF or perhaps moved the focal point to the lens exactly, it wouldn't have made it a better image - just a touch crisper. The effect and impression would have been the same, which is what makes it.

Awesome! :clap: (you get a double clap!)

All works for me too.Great subject captured perfectly. Not good with the words really but we have Paul for that :) That said I know what I like when I see it even if I don't really know why.

Gaz

Hi seem to have missed a few, sorry

I like spiky think the spines of the cactus really stand out with the processing

Topical, needs an explanation but it does work, interesting green stuff, really like the angle you have shot it from,

reshoot a little crop maybe, but well done for spotting a face in there.

Perfect shot for the theme for artificial, can't really add anything to what Paul said

Last edited:
Sheylara, I love that shot. :clap:

The composition is excellent - exceptional even, as you enter the image from the left, get drawn over to the main subject, then go back again (bouncing off the finger pretty much.) It's a superb route for the eye, and using thirds well.

The tones just work - it might not have lots of high contrast whites and blacks, but it has enough shadow and highlight for the dynamic range to feel right. The midtones from the skin "settle" the image for me, contrasting with that transparent lens against the very light grey background (which could have been too stark had it been much whiter). Contrast that with the nearly black iris of the eye (a mirror image, tonally, for the lens) and it's neat how one basically fits into the other - as opposites.

The contact lens is sharp enough for me - could it be sharper? Perhaps, but it doesn't detract from the effect of the image to me. I don't think the eye needs to be in focus to be honest, as it's not the primary subject. In a way, it not being directs more attention to the lens anyway.

Which is a very long-winded way of saying it's a wonderful image. I don't think you could have processed it any better (for me) and whilst you could have shot it with a shallower DOF or perhaps moved the focal point to the lens exactly, it wouldn't have made it a better image - just a touch crisper. The effect and impression would have been the same, which is what makes it.

Awesome! :clap: (you get a double clap!)

Oh, wow! That was... completely unexpected! :eek: Goes to show I know nothing since I thought that was an unsatisfactory photo. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything that's right with the photo, some of which I don't even realise is a thing. :LOL: I shan't be able to sleep tonight with all that praise! :ROFLMAO:

By the way, I did focus on the contact lens specifically, but I think I didn't get it sharp enough because of camera shake and not too good light. I was in an awkward position and the camera + lens got so heavy! :p Had to sharpen the image quite a bit in pp.

All works for me too.Great subject captured perfectly. Not good with the words really but we have Paul for that :) That said I know what I like when I see it even if I don't really know why.

Gaz

Thank you, Gary! Very kind of you. And I'm the same. Sometimes I like something and I can't explain why. :LOL:

Hi seem to have missed a few, sorry

I like spiky think the spines of the cactus really stand out with the processing

Topical, needs an explanation but it does work, interesting green stuff, really like the angle you have shot it from,

reshoot a little crop maybe, but well done for spotting a face in there.

Perfect shot for the theme for artificial, can't really add anything to what Paul said

Thanks for going back and commenting on my previous images! :) Appreciate your feedback!

This is a fantastic image Sheylara! Paul has said so much about what makes it great - the composition is absolutely spot on - the cropping position at the sides, the space between finger and nose. The line that runs through pupil, lens and finger tip works so well. I agree that the softness of the eye doesn't detract at all and the lens looks sharp enough to me. A very clever idea very, very well shot :clap:

As the others have said, brilliant image, great fit for the theme and so well composed and captured.

This is a fantastic image Sheylara! Paul has said so much about what makes it great - the composition is absolutely spot on - the cropping position at the sides, the space between finger and nose. The line that runs through pupil, lens and finger tip works so well. I agree that the softness of the eye doesn't detract at all and the lens looks sharp enough to me. A very clever idea very, very well shot :clap:

Thank you, Emma! Appreciate the compliment and more details on what works. I'm feeling a bit flabbergasted! :wideyed:

As the others have said, brilliant image, great fit for the theme and so well composed and captured.

Thank you, Chris, for your kind comment! :)

That is an excellent shot, could easily be on the wall in spec savers! well done :)

Spiky: great shot. Lovely contrast and detail.

Artificial: Absolutely amazing shot. Really great composition. I can see that in a magazine or as previously mentioned on the wall of Specsavers.

Excellent idea Sheylara IMO the focus point is in the right place, and the DoF is spot on, nicely processed too (y)

Saw it, loved it, wasn't quite sure what to say other than amazing, whatever.

Read your comment on the eyebrow, and thought I'd offer this:

What about cropping 15% off the top? losing half an eyebrow, making it more letterboxy, altering the emphasis.

:thinking: ... just a though.

Whatever, it is amazing. (y)

Artificial is brilliant image, great fit for the theme and different from every others idea, excellent

Absolutely lovely image Sheylara. I don't think the eye needs to be in sharp focus either. As it is, it makes the skin a soft feel which may otherwise have been hard to achieve. :clap:

Brilliant image for the theme Shaylara...though the subject make me feel a bit queasy!! :LOL:
Love the focus and the PP. Spot on! (y)

That is an excellent shot, could easily be on the wall in spec savers! well done :)

Thank you, Sam. That's a real compliment, indeed! :p

Spiky: great shot. Lovely contrast and detail.

Artificial: Absolutely amazing shot. Really great composition. I can see that in a magazine or as previously mentioned on the wall of Specsavers.

Thank you, Colm! Not too sure my photos deserve such praise but thank you, anyhow! :D

Excellent idea Sheylara IMO the focus point is in the right place, and the DoF is spot on, nicely processed too (y)

Thanks, Chris! Was quite pleased to suddenly think of the idea as I'd stressed about it for days, wondering which artificial plant I should do out of the shed loads I have at home.

Saw it, loved it, wasn't quite sure what to say other than amazing, whatever.

Read your comment on the eyebrow, and thought I'd offer this:

What about cropping 15% off the top? losing half an eyebrow, making it more letterboxy, altering the emphasis.

:thinking: ... just a though.

Whatever, it is amazing. (y)

Thanks for your nice comments, David! I tried what you said but am undecided whether I like it! Part of me thinks it works, another part of me thinks it looks a bit unbalanced! :p

Artificial is brilliant image, great fit for the theme and different from every others idea, excellent

Thanks, Lee! Appreciate your comment! :)

Seems sharp enough to me where it needs to be.
Though obviously artificially posed, otherwise there would be fingers keeping the eye open ;)

Yep, artificially posed, which you could argue, makes it even better for the theme. :LOL:

Absolutely lovely image Sheylara. I don't think the eye needs to be in sharp focus either. As it is, it makes the skin a soft feel which may otherwise have been hard to achieve. :clap:

Thank you for commenting, Carl!!

Brilliant image for the theme Shaylara...though the subject make me feel a bit queasy!! :LOL:
Love the focus and the PP. Spot on! (y)

Thank you, Ruth! Appreciate it! What makes you queasy? The idea of putting something in the eye? :thinking:

Yes I definitely agree Sheylara, I loved it as soon as it appeared in the main thread, brilliant idea, something I do every day and it never even crossed my mind for the theme ....very well done to you :clap:

Thanks, Susie! Feeling a bit embarrassed by all these comments as I don't think I did very much! :oops: :$ Still, I do appreciate nice comments! :D

artificial - I like it just the way it is the lens is a great focal point and its a great shot

Week 12 - Personal

Here's another one which didn't turn out the way I imagined. I think I might have an impossible imagination. :LOL: (Or it might have something to do with the fact that my very professional studio setup consisted of one table lamp, 2 small pieces of foam padding ripped out of the box my iMac was delivered in, a laundry basket to hold the camera steady, and absolutely no clue what I was doing.)

I wanted to make a dark, moody, secretive picture, but with the settings I thought I wanted, it ended up looking underexposed with bad white balance. (Although it might also have to do with the fact that my props are hardly secretive items? :ROFLMAO:).

So I decided to drop my lofty artistic vision and make it at least comfortable to look at. Not sure what to make of it, though. :thinking:

Personal
by Sheylara, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 13 - Effort

Nothing much to say about this one. This happened, I thought it fit the theme, I shot it. :p

Effort
by Sheylara, on Flickr

Good idea for personal and nothing wrong with the lighting/background. I'm sure you'll get there with the low-key lighting, a piece of black velvet fabric might give you a darker background than the foam.

Effort - really nice photo for the theme, some real concentration going on there

Your personal looks good to me - I can't commment much on the lighting, but you sem to have controlled the highlights in your shiny objects well - I like the splash of red from the handbag.
I love your effort - a great moment captured with that frown and perfect focus on the eyes. Teaching young children this is an expression I know well!

Hi Sheylara

• Personal - Come on now, that's far too little junk to have fallen from a woman's handbag - Aren't they generally like Hermione's magic sack?
    Good use of the reds vs the greys.
  • Effort - As Chris says, you can really see the effort in her eyes. It's great that you've got her eyes in sharp focus, it makes you really look at the image.

Hi Sheylara... two very different shots which is always good to see :)

Personal - it works. It conveys the theme and you've captured it well with a decent composition for me. I think, given the lighting you had at your disposal you've done exceptionally well! Don't get me wrong, it could have been possible to set up a far more complicated arrangement controlling the highlights more (softer, larger lights closer to subject) but given the tools available, you've delivered in spades :clap:

Effort is superb. This is the type of shot that makes people like me realise how big a gap there is between "simple" technically competent shots and proper artistic flair. The way you've captured the eyes, the legs, what she's doing and done it so naturally... well done. I think it's fair to say you have a real skill at translating an image from your mind onto the sensor - awesome (y)

Hi Sheylara. Very good images for their respective themes. I particularly like Effort - the expression of concentration on the little girls face says it all ... the focus on her face is helped by that marvellous use of DoF. Great stuff. :clap:

Good idea for personal and nothing wrong with the lighting/background. I'm sure you'll get there with the low-key lighting, a piece of black velvet fabric might give you a darker background than the foam.

Effort - really nice photo for the theme, some real concentration going on there

Thanks for your comments, Chris! Well, I haven't started learning about lighting yet but I hope to get around to it... as soon as I stop being confounded by the controls on my camera, which is always mysteriously changing settings itself without warning, and then not telling me how to change it back! :LOL:

Your personal looks good to me - I can't commment much on the lighting, but you sem to have controlled the highlights in your shiny objects well - I like the splash of red from the handbag.
I love your effort - a great moment captured with that frown and perfect focus on the eyes. Teaching young children this is an expression I know well!

Thanks for your kind words! So you're a nursery teacher or something? I nearly became one. I love little toddlers but I tried it out and doing it as a full time job was a bit too stressful for me. :p

Hi Sheylara

• Personal - Come on now, that's far too little junk to have fallen from a woman's handbag - Aren't they generally like Hermione's magic sack?
    Good use of the reds vs the greys.
  • Effort - As Chris says, you can really see the effort in her eyes. It's great that you've got her eyes in sharp focus, it makes you really look at the image.

Darn, you got me! :p I did have to remove many items from my handbag because the photo looked too messy. :p my handbag used to be full of all sorts - I liked to be prepared for all situations. I even had things like measuring tape, self-powered torch and sticky tape (just to name a few of the more unusual items). I'm a bit more sensible now. :p

Anyway thank you so much for the comments! :)

Hi Sheylara... two very different shots which is always good to see :)

Personal - it works. It conveys the theme and you've captured it well with a decent composition for me. I think, given the lighting you had at your disposal you've done exceptionally well! Don't get me wrong, it could have been possible to set up a far more complicated arrangement controlling the highlights more (softer, larger lights closer to subject) but given the tools available, you've delivered in spades :clap:

Effort is superb. This is the type of shot that makes people like me realise how big a gap there is between "simple" technically competent shots and proper artistic flair. The way you've captured the eyes, the legs, what she's doing and done it so naturally... well done. I think it's fair to say you have a real skill at translating an image from your mind onto the sensor - awesome (y)

Hey Paul, thank you for your kind and encouraging words! I do believe you give me too much credit sometimes, :oops: :$ but it's always great to receive positive feedback! :D I hope to have more of a clue in a couple of months' time. Just bought that book "Light Science & Magic" people have been raving about, so all I need to do is find some time to read it and hope that it isn't beyond me. :p

Hi Sheylara. Very good images for their respective themes. I particularly like Effort - the expression of concentration on the little girls face says it all ... the focus on her face is helped by that marvellous use of DoF. Great stuff. :clap:
Thank you, Carl! Glad you like Effort particularly. I quite like it myself, although I think it's largely because I'm very partial to that little girl (my niece-in-law) who is just the cutest and funniest thing. :p

Hey Paul, thank you for your kind and encouraging words! I do believe you give me too much credit sometimes, :oops: :$ but it's always great to receive positive feedback! :D I hope to have more of a clue in a couple of months' time. Just bought that book "Light Science & Magic" people have been raving about, so all I need to do is find some time to read it and hope that it isn't beyond me. :p

To be honest, light is really really important but we can over-obsess about it. It's always there - just not always quite where we want it to be. So yes, LS&M will help explain a bit more about lighting. But to be honest, had you lit that photo differently it wouldn't (to my eyes) make it better. The reason being is you've captured a moment and a sense of being there - which is far more important than how a shot is lit, for me. I'll be honest and say it's that side of photography that I struggle the most with, so I do appreciate it when I see someone who's nailed it.

And that shot nails it for me :)

To be honest, light is really really important but we can over-obsess about it. It's always there - just not always quite where we want it to be. So yes, LS&M will help explain a bit more about lighting. But to be honest, had you lit that photo differently it wouldn't (to my eyes) make it better. The reason being is you've captured a moment and a sense of being there - which is far more important than how a shot is lit, for me. I'll be honest and say it's that side of photography that I struggle the most with, so I do appreciate it when I see someone who's nailed it.

And that shot nails it for me :)
Well, that's very kind of you to say so and I thank you for it!. :) I get what you're saying about good lighting vs capturing a moment but here's another point of view: Capturing a moment relies heavily on luck and tenacity - you just have to keep snapping away and wait for hours/days for a good moment to happen, and if you keep at it, you'll get it eventually. So who knows if someone who takes a good photo is truly talented or just has a lot of time on their hands? :p

Whereas if you're proficient technically, you can always take a great photo whenever you like, so that would be a more impressive skill!

(Dunno if that's a valid point of view, but it sounds logical to me. :p)

Hi
Like the colours and detail in your Personal shot. Contents of the handbag seem far too tidy to be true lol. Where's the screwed up tissue and the scrap of paper with a hastily written note! Your studio set up sounds a bit like mine
Love the Effort shot. You've caught the look of concentration, the little frown in particular. Great to see her reading a Real book too.

Well, that's very kind of you to say so and I thank you for it!. :) I get what you're saying about good lighting vs capturing a moment but here's another point of view: Capturing a moment relies heavily on luck and tenacity - you just have to keep snapping away and wait for hours/days for a good moment to happen, and if you keep at it, you'll get it eventually. So who knows if someone who takes a good photo is truly talented or just has a lot of time on their hands? :p

Whereas if you're proficient technically, you can always take a great photo whenever you like, so that would be a more impressive skill!

(Dunno if that's a valid point of view, but it sounds logical to me. :p)

Since this is your thread please tell me to shut up and get back on track, but you've picked up on a part of photography (the philosophy, if you will) which really fascinates me - is photography and art or a science?

I'll 'fess up and say I'm a geek with a geek background. So the physics of image capture, lighting and the like feel much more comfortable to me - whether that's diffraction limiting or how sensors actually work to convert photons into electricity. And very definitely the arrangement of lighting and choices of modifiers to control highlight and shadow. And the great thing about all of that - as you've identified - is there is no luck when you finally "get it" (I'm still working on it btw!) The scientific elements of photography are inherently repeatable and reproduceable by others - it's why LS&M is such a great book because they walk you through reproducing their lighting effects and giving you those skills which will work time and again.

But none of that, for me, makes a great photograph. It's perhaps why I wimp out and do a fair bit of product/setup shots - because they're about the science rather than necessarily the art of photography (at least they're more biased towards the former). Capturing people, street photography and an element of landscape is more about designing an image and telling a story. For me, I find these aspects a fair bit harder but ultimately more rewarding because they result in (for me) a far stronger, more connected photograph. It can be about luck but you tend to make your own luck through experience... taking more photos will increase the number of "lucky shots" you have but will also give you the experience to know when a lucky moment is likely to arrive - and have your camera ready and set up appropriately. Knowing a child is about to jump in a puddle and the composition and light is just right to capture that moment - that's about having been there countless times before and missed it and remembering and having the eye to "see" that it would make a superb photo.

Sorry for the long-winded diatribe... but I guess I'm agreeing with you that technical proficiency is a key component, but then disagreeing that having that leads to better photos! I actually think having that innate artistic vision and ability to connect the viewer with the scene is ultimately harder to learn and if you have it, you're starting from a far stronger place than someone who simply has more technical ability (but lacks the "feel"). And I think it's fair to say you've shown you definitely have that artistic vision in your shots - keep it up and the technical side will come (and it's already nearly there btw)!

Since this is your thread please tell me to shut up and get back on track, but you've picked up on a part of photography (the philosophy, if you will) which really fascinates me - is photography and art or a science?

I'll 'fess up and say I'm a geek with a geek background. So the physics of image capture, lighting and the like feel much more comfortable to me - whether that's diffraction limiting or how sensors actually work to convert photons into electricity. And very definitely the arrangement of lighting and choices of modifiers to control highlight and shadow. And the great thing about all of that - as you've identified - is there is no luck when you finally "get it" (I'm still working on it btw!) The scientific elements of photography are inherently repeatable and reproduceable by others - it's why LS&M is such a great book because they walk you through reproducing their lighting effects and giving you those skills which will work time and again.

But none of that, for me, makes a great photograph. It's perhaps why I wimp out and do a fair bit of product/setup shots - because they're about the science rather than necessarily the art of photography (at least they're more biased towards the former). Capturing people, street photography and an element of landscape is more about designing an image and telling a story. For me, I find these aspects a fair bit harder but ultimately more rewarding because they result in (for me) a far stronger, more connected photograph. It can be about luck but you tend to make your own luck through experience... taking more photos will increase the number of "lucky shots" you have but will also give you the experience to know when a lucky moment is likely to arrive - and have your camera ready and set up appropriately. Knowing a child is about to jump in a puddle and the composition and light is just right to capture that moment - that's about having been there countless times before and missed it and remembering and having the eye to "see" that it would make a superb photo.

Sorry for the long-winded diatribe... but I guess I'm agreeing with you that technical proficiency is a key component, but then disagreeing that having that leads to better photos! I actually think having that innate artistic vision and ability to connect the viewer with the scene is ultimately harder to learn and if you have it, you're starting from a far stronger place than someone who simply has more technical ability (but lacks the "feel"). And I think it's fair to say you've shown you definitely have that artistic vision in your shots - keep it up and the technical side will come (and it's already nearly there btw)!

I am completely happy to discuss photography philosophy, and you'd probably regret starting anything because I can probably out-long-wind you. :p

Well, actually, there's always been this thing about art in general that bothers me. (Just to clarify, I've never studied any form of art formally nor taken lessons as such, but I do enjoy artistic pursuits occasionally.) My personal feeling is that art is subjective, therefore having rules confuses me. I can understand basic rules of, say, colour coordination and composition because, properly done, they offer harmony and therefore make a piece of work pleasing. But there are times when, for example, someone puts up a piece of work and experts/professionals criticise it to death, citing reasons taken from Rules of Art 101, but I personally love the piece because I think it looks very pleasing and it moves me, and the rules don't make sense to me. So, what does that mean? Is a piece of work good because it conforms to all the rules, or is it good because someone really likes it?

But I suspect the only reason I'm confused is because I haven't had any formal training so what do I know? :p

Anyway, after thinking about what you've said, I think photography is particularly unique because it combines art and science. Well, I think it started out as science because the camera was invented to capture and preserve images, and then it eventually became art when people found they could manipulate the science to make all sorts of beautiful, creative images. In that case, I would say photography is both art and science. It'll be hard to perfect the art without learning the science, and hard to apply the science perfectly without having an artistic sensibility.

You're saying that you have the science of it whereas I have the art of it, and that my starting position is stronger for it. I don't know if I agree with the latter assertion because I do find the technical aspects rather hard. I'm not good with numbers and formulae and physics. And, frankly, having to learn all that stuff for photography scares me. I will probably get there if I keep at it, but will I ever be natural at it?

For example, let's say you're shooting a party outdoors. Something funny or cool happens and you need to react quickly and do one good shot before the moment disappears. You need to quickly assess the lighting conditions and make sure you've got the right settings all within a second or two, push all the right knobs and dials. Perhaps this might get easier with experience, but if you're naturally good with science and numbers, you're always at an advantage. All I can do is frame the shot. I'll have a nicely composed shot frozen at a great moment, but the shot will be blurred or the faces will be dark because of back lighting or just something that can't be salvaged in post. :p

Well, that's how I feel at the moment. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I learn more, I don't know. But I do consider my technical ability to be nearly zero. If I have a good photo, it's mostly because I got lucky with a moment, or I've taken 500 shots to get that one good shot. And because Lightroom and Photoshop. :p I can make an image decent by moving sliders around. You should see my SOOCs. Actually, no, I'd be embarrassed to show them. :LOL:

As for you, I won't disrespect you by disagreeing about you not having artistic vision. (Sorry about the triple negative there, lol.) (You know yourself better than I do.) But neither am I agreeing. What I'll say is that I've seen your photos and I think they are amazing, superb photos and they sure look like they were created by an artist. Maybe you feel that you had to work harder at the science to create the art, but you have created great art and that's really the bottom line, isn't it? :p

Last edited:
Back