weekly Shiny Side Up's 52

Hi Martin

Swirl - I can add no more than what has been said
Linked - good colour, very sharp, as has been mentioned . Presumably your camera was in timer mode and the set up, partic with a live animal, is more difficult. I have no problem with the tree but just a pity that you and Bisley are not a little further to the right to get rid of those twiggy things and stop the tree trunk being behind your head. On theme with both the lead and the way that you relate to him.

I have a Nikon D7000 and during my last theme (Time) I found a small snag with the self-timer in that as soon as the shutter button is pressed, the camera focuses, but of course I'm not the focus subject because I'm not there. There is no way round this using the D7000 menus. The only way to do it is to use a remote trigger so I bought one of those for this photograph; it only cost about £4, surprising for a Nikon accessory. One good feature of this is that there is a slight delay before the shutter fires so the remote can be pressed then moved out of shot (hiding in hand, for example) so it doesn't show.

Links. I like is one as soon as I saw it. Lovely, really lovely. I haven't had a dog I years and MIT be tempted to get one for Isabelle.

I'd like to see a bit more interaction, maybe you stroking his head?

16 years old...wonderful.

Cheers.

Hi, lovely dog and a great idea for the subject matter, i do feel the lead is a bit distracting and is not really needed as the obvious link is with you and Bisley

I like nothing about this theme or this photo. It's there because I decided I was going to do a photo for every theme and for no other reason. I anyone sees anything in it I would be surprised. So, theme done, let's move on.

Martin.......chin up :)

So, what do we have.....We have a submission for the theme Step. Have you submitted said theme?

Well?

Of cause you have.

Did I go "this is amazing"?

No.

I can't say anymore as watching the Blues Brothers..

Step - fits the theme, but the composition does nothing for me and I don't think the black and white is doing much for the image.

You should see the colour version, even less impressive.

Although not taken this week this picture is pretty natural, or perhaps a little unnatural. I love it so I'm giving it an audience. If nothing else it serves to show that a modern camera is not necessarily required -- this picture was taken on a Nikon Coolpix 880 3.2 MP camera and it's as sharp as a nut (whatever that means).

Last edited:
You'll note the correctly punctuated sign. Make the most of it as many councils are going to manage without in the future (probably because they wouldn't know when to use an apostrophe anyway).

Martin

I prefer your boot on a step pic.

Oh dear, my lambs did not impress then? Must be bad as not even I liked the boot on the step pic.

Hi Martin

I must be a little odd......I quite like the Step shot ! It looks pants on my netbook but quite appealing on the pc.....I like it in Mono as well......maybe it's because it's making me wonder why the boot is there ?....where's the other one ? Where does the step lead ? (y)

Nature.......well spotted & certainly on theme :) Does appear to need a slight straighten...CW just a smidge of a degree maybe ?

Been a bit busy with astronomical things so here is my quick catch-up.

Action

Action by gorgon703, on Flickr

Mono, not up to much I know but the picture of the monopod has already been done by someone else.

Mono by gorgon703, on Flickr

Last edited:
ACtion - caught the expression and concentration / commitment on the runner really well, but find the background too cluttered and the bags / post behind her head / hands by her ear detract from this. Expression on the little girl is interesting though. Smaller aperture / lower ISO have helped a bit here?

Mono - fits the theme well enough, not sure about the square crop though, I see this working better as a landscape orientation with the sides of the speaker included...

Nice action shot
Not sure the Mono is a Mono the wood is coloured (or is it just my eyes)

Nice action shot
Not sure the Mono is a Mono the wood is coloured (or is it just my eyes)

It is in colour but it is one speaker -- two speakers, stereo, one speaker, mono; more specifically monaural.

The expressions on both runner and little girl are great (y) fair made me smile :D

Mono, would it not have worked better in portrait? that way all you'd have got all the speaker in shot :thinking:

Hi Martin
Action - That has a lot of meaning with the almost pained effort of the runner contrasted with the questioning look of the child, altho showing her appreciation with applause:) Distracting bits are the other runner, the sign above the runner's head and the bag (maybe)
Mono - not sure - maybe more of the top and bottom included and then turned 90 degrees for landscape as suggested by Graham

I not that you are curtailing your weekly involvement . I agree that you set your personal bar very high with that Time shot, one of the best that I have seen in the years that i have been doing this. Good point about joining in as and when you feel inspired. One of the main advantages that I have found being involved is seeing shots from the same people over time. I find with the other threads on TP is that I just dive in now and again but without any real purpose and rarely comment. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Action - Action well caught and the inclusion of the little girl adds to the picture

Mono - I can see why you wanted this as a square crop but I feel you still needed to get the top and bottom in as well

Back