weekly Shirleyr's 52 ~ 2016 ~ Week 52 ~ Celebration

Excellent photo for the theme! Yes, I'd be scared it this dog came through the dog flap... Slight graininess works well.

Cor! That does look very spooky ... definitely Alien. Good submission for the theme Shirley.

Week 42 ~ Liquid. After a sticky mess I like the result. Cheap washing up liquid dripping eveywhere, the handle of a small pair of scissors and practice blowing bubbles, too messy for house, slight breeze in garden so ended up in greenhouse. The reflections on the bubbles are flowers and plants, I'm rather amazed with it. I think I would have liked a blurred background but there wasn't quality to the bubble and dropped to quick and one of my hands was sticky.
I like the idea and will have a go with water droplets and dew drops. Nice pick Mr. Cobra:)
Liquid by shirleyr2009, on Flickr

That is very well caught indeed, nice colours in the bubble and good separation from the neutral background. A very good take on the theme (y)

Brings back memories of childhood - innocent times then and we were all easily pleased with a bottle of bubbles back then. Hope you enjoyed the making of the image Shirley ... even though not necessarily the cleaning up after. Not easy to take a bubble but you've done well to get it nice and sharp and colourful.

That works really well Shirley, great reflections, and colours, good idea about using the greenhouse too!

Nice pick Mr. Cobra:)
Finally :p

Thanks Tim and Emma, its so nice to get good feedback. I'll catch up with giving feedback to others this evening.

That is a great submission. Nice and sharp, good detail in the reflection and nice OOF background.

I think it could handle a crop as well.

Square crop does work well.

Cheers.

Great photo for liquid, I like the reflections in the bubble and the OOF background. And I prefer the second crop.

Thanks Bernd and Nigel for your compliments, really enjoyed the results of the bubble making.:)

Week 43 ~ Cracked ~ My honey pot sadly cracked

Honey Pot sadly Cracked.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Shirley, the second crop for LIQUID worked well for me. Loving the DoF and the colour palette on that picture.

You have the cutest honey pot ever! Too bad it's cracked :sorry: The picture is on theme, but I would love to see the background colour a bit darker because it will bring out the focus on the cracked pot more

Last edited:
Aw! What a shame about the honeypot Shirley. Looks old too.. oh dear.

That's a very nice honeypot! Unfortunately the picture of it doesn't work for me...

BIG: That is surely one big ship :D Certainly love the cropped version better because it eliminates the white boat at the bottom and focus more on the big boat. Nice one, Shirley

AFTER: Ah, I also have a watch with the broken winder but coming back to the topic here, the second crop worked for me. The original is a bit to tight for me.

ALIEN: What a cute dog! After a bit of a brushing there, I feel like it will come out in a horror movie somewhere, "The Attack of the Alien Dog". Right on time for Hallow's Eve :D

B&W: Spot on! Would be better if you can tweak the contrast a bit to make the difference between the white and black more prominent

URBAN: I would choose the first picture there, Shirley. I like the shape of the building. It strangely matches the theme.

PAIRS: Pears for me, for sure. I love it that it's not simply mirrored but it's almost an identical pair of items :D

Sorry, Shirley, I'm on a roll and can't stop myself :p
STATIC: The crop works well. The grainy bit from the dull light-long lens shot actually a bit static-y on its own. So I consider this a success :clap:

SERENE: A pretty picture and really spot on theme. Would love it if it's less grainy but I understand how hard it is to get a sharp picture of a moving animal (or animals, in this case) with any camera, except maybe with a good tele lens? (I shoot with P&S so pardon my lack of knowledge :D)

GAMES: What a sharp image on the move! Wonderful! :plus1:

Last one, I promise :D

FLORA: Lovely flowers. everything works for me for this pic. Another wonderful image there, Shirley :clap:

ACTIVITY: This image is so funny.. I can only imagine their struggle :D

LIFE: would love to see a sharper image to this one

HIDDEN: Interesting take. If only there's a hint of something inside :)

ALONE: What a cute and lonely looking bird!

FAUNA: A good focus to the eye there, Shirley :)

Nora, so kind of you both helpful and interesting comments. Sometimes I get too close and loose focus and have a lot of trouble with indoor lighting, I'm more of an outdoor photo person. I can only learn from comments, where I think something is on theme it doesn't always work for another person, its then I have to pull my self back without launching and think about it. I hope that in the near future I get the photos on themes a bit better. Thanks again for replying on all my photos, I will certainly make my way over to your thread.:ty:
Last one, I promise :D

FLORA: Lovely flowers. everything works for me for this pic. Another wonderful image there, Shirley :clap:

ACTIVITY: This image is so funny.. I can only imagine their struggle :D

LIFE: would love to see a sharper image to this one

HIDDEN: Interesting take. If only there's a hint of something inside :)

ALONE: What a cute and lonely looking bird!

FAUNA: A good focus to the eye there, Shirley :)

Thanks for posting and yes I'll know for another time.:ty:

That's what it's all about - hopefully.

It can take a while to get organised in this 52s game ... but we can all just do the best with what we've got.

Week 44 ~ Re-Shoot ~ Flora
The Poppies from Caernarfon Castle ~ Weeping Window. A job and a half to get a decent photo. 10-20mm Lens, wide angle but as the distance to getting near was restricted made it very difficult. I have a few photos and of the Garden of Remembrance so I'll sort some good ones out and make a thread in the General Section. For now, I've chosen the photo 'closer to the poppies and have cropped tighter to fit the Theme Flora.
Closer to the poppies by shirleyr2009, on Flickr

They look great, Shirley... Nicely captured.

Nicely captured Shirley :)

Back