Show us yer film shots then!

ahh well, its the limitations of scanning and dpp we have to live with I suppose..:/

From the first roll of Portra 400 I've ever shot! Love the colours even though I think I've blown the highlights a bit...Probably my own fault as I was shooting it at ISO200.
Good for trying to match with digital files though. :)

26930181609_bbdc7e434d_b.jpg

Portra 400-Roll 1 00001 by Dave Young, on Flickr

Portra 400-Roll 1 00002
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Portra 400-Roll 1 00003
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Portra 400-Roll 1 00004
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Portra 400-Roll 1 00005
by Dave Young, on Flickr

From the first roll of Portra 400 I've ever shot! Love the colours even though I think I've blown the highlights a bit...Probably my own fault as I was shooting it at ISO200.
Good for trying to match with digital files though. :)

It would be almost impossible to blow out highlights with Kodak Portra 400 at ISO 200. To do anything like blow out highlights with that film, you would need to be shooting at ISO 25 or even ISO 3 probably. All of the sky detail is likely to have been captured in the negative, as the film has crazy overexposure tolerance.

If you want to see more of this sky detail in your scans and prints though, you will need to control the subject brightness range at some point, either during exposure (e.g., ND grad) or in post (e.g., virtual ND grad).

It would be almost impossible to blow out highlights with Kodak Portra 400 at ISO 200. To do anything like blow out highlights with that film, you would need to be shooting at ISO 25 or even ISO 3 probably. All of the sky detail is likely to have been captured in the negative, as the film has crazy overexposure tolerance.

If you want to see more of this sky detail in your scans and prints though, you will need to control the subject brightness range at some point, either during exposure (e.g., ND grad) or in post (e.g., virtual ND grad).

Thanks man, really appreciate that. First time shooting Portra 400 so learning all the time. :)

Folks.. This is ideal Example of doing close up work on 6x6 Rolleiflex Rolleinars close up lenses.
This is Rolleinar 2 on Provia 100 , Test Shot. So Sharp and amazing.I am sure this will be very good for headshots!
Camera used: Rolleiflex GX + Rolleinar 2 DIY DEV & Fuji Scan Frontier SP-3000
38054230534_bd26ff93aa_k.jpg

So Sharp and amazing.I am sure this will be very good for headshots!

I don't actually use my Rolleinars that often because it's a pain to take them on and off, but they can be handy and the resulting images are usually perfectly fine. They wouldn't be my first choice for portraits because they tend to exaggerate the nose (I'd rather use my SL66E, if I have the option), but they'll do well enough if that's all you have.

I carried my Rolleinars for three weeks in Japan, but it looks like I only used them once for a pic of a huge crab we ate for lunch at a seafood market (pictured below is only the left half of that crab). I did see a woman using a Rolleinar 1 to photograph some deer in Nara, however, as shown below.

Last edited:
I don't actually use my Rolleinars that often because it's a pain to take them on and off, but they can be handy and the resulting images are usually perfectly fine. They wouldn't be my first choice for portraits because they tend to exaggerate the nose (I'd rather use my SL66E, if I have the option), but they'll do well enough if that's all you have.

I carried my Rolleinars for three weeks in Japan, but it looks like I only used them once for a pic of a huge crab we ate for lunch at a seafood market (pictured below is only the left half of that crab). I did see a woman using a Rolleinar 1 to photograph some deer in Nara, however, as shown below.

Beautiful captures. I am amazed by how sharp they are! Not tried Headshots but it was Just something that came in my mind. Rolleinars 1 & 2 came with my Rolleiflex GX and found them in box. Never got a chance to test them. Though looks easy to get on/off

mixed light source maybe
you can take the blue out but everything else looks a bit warm

2j4yfdt.jpg

mixed light source maybe
you can take the blue out but everything else looks a bit warm

2j4yfdt.jpg

Well John I agree the colours are not spot on and I thought it had a very slight magenta cast..I did a colour print at the time (30 years ago) and I will look for it to see what it is like, maybe chemicals somehow got onto to the neg and cause a smudge for the yellowing of the jumper or as you said maybe the shadow of me effected the shot.
Anyway I have a good excuse i.e. not bad result for a 30 year old colour neg :D

Well the dirty colour on the jumper was in the colour print too..so scanned @ 600dpi with Epson 4180 for B\W.
6DglsGx.jpg

I also scanned this print and said to my girlfriend (or wife) to pose as a lady of the night o_O h'mm anyone convinced :eek:..and for the girls:- you think you have the latest shoes well these shoes were out over 30 years ago o_O
ewbIS31.jpg

Back