Shugpug's 1st 52 - Week 52 - Decoration - Complete!

Great detail and colour in the sagebush. I think I have to agree with Tim. I find the background a little distracting - my eye flicks from one to the other

Love the long exposure shot for Time passing. Great idea and well taken.
The shot of the egg is cracking! Eggcellent even :clap: So much detail in the shell and the high key treatment that you've given it is perfect.
Very nice landscape / Sagebrush image. Beautiful colours and light.

Thanks - the Holga is getting an outing again tomorrow for pinhole day

I think it is to, Alex.
Well it is now anyway :D

Well, at least one of does! I'm interestingly thinking it might not have been Sagebrush after all... :exit:

I love shots of plants and animals that show their habitats and this is a great example.
Excellent picture, stunning scenery
Great composition that shows of the plant and the stunning scenery.
Hmm, I find it a bit of a confusing shot really.
My eyes are drawn to the sky (and thus the mountain) as they are in the brightest part of the photo.
But it's then obvious they aren't the subject as they are not in sharp focus.
Your eye then has to work to pick the Sagebush out as it doesn't really have separation from the background.

It's a nice subject, but I think there was a better composition in there waiting to get out.
My thoughts would be to have gotten down low and used the sky or the mountain as the background, that way you'd get better separation.

YMMV.
Great detail and colour in the sagebush. I think I have to agree with Tim. I find the background a little distracting - my eye flicks from one to the other

Looks like this is a marmite shot then :LOL: I'm leaning towards Tim and Helen's view for what it's worth - I think there was a better composition in there which I have failed to find :confused: The area is easy enough to access at least so I might try the area again - and I'll try to avoid the $200 parking fine next time :mad:

Sagebrush S for Shugpug, works for me.
Great lighting Shug!

Thanks both!

Just a little catch up as I'm so behind with commenting at the moment, and I do like your multiple selfie for Time. It sums up the feeling of boredom and time passing very effectively and your processing is spot on. Your image for your initial is an interesting one; at first glance its a bit busy in the background but then it also shows the environment around this unusual plant; the mountains are stunning and the rusty colours and greens are all complementary tones.

I can see what Tim is saying about your Bush Image, but I think with the light shinning on it, it just about seperates it from the background.

The Sky above the Carpark is a fab colour

Pete

Great sky Alex

Initial
I'm not sure if you're right or not about the species of plant, but it's a great looking photo. I particularly like the oof mountains in the background.

That's a good drone shot. There's certainly more than one empty space.

Nice take on the theme!

That's a great capture, the sky is stunning
Cracking sky in the shot Alex, love it.
I can see what Tim is saying about your Bush Image, but I think with the light shinning on it, it just about seperates it from the background.

The Sky above the Carpark is a fab colour

Pete
Great shot from a drone.
Great sky Alex
That's a beautiful sky Shugpug, never tried a drone but they do look fun.
They definitely are! I'd love to get one that will shoot raw, etc. But there's no way I can justify it for as little as I get the thing out. It's fun while it lasts, but the battery does not last long...

Cracking shot for a tiny flying camera as you say. Beautiful colours.
Lovely moody image I love the sky
Great original take on the subject. Great shot!
Impressive indeed nice idea too
Initial
I'm not sure if you're right or not about the species of plant, but it's a great looking photo. I particularly like the oof mountains in the background.

That's a good drone shot. There's certainly more than one empty space.
Love the sky. As you say, impressive for such a small camera.
But then, technology is moving on and if you consider what phones can do...
It must just be a matter of time before computational photography makes it on to them (if it's not there already in the background!) Some of the action sport oriented ones do amazing things with video tracking and following, whilst also avoiding anything in their way. Certainly better at the flying themselves than I am!

Great sky and not many chances to get such an empty car park I imagine.
Being fair - these are the carparks for the baseball stadium, so very episodic use...

Nice take on the theme!
Thank you!

Week 18 - Music, and the second time my piano has made it in to this year's 52.

I'm trying to be a little more creative with light, and wanted to create a very sharp fall off - this is one of my camping lights, held fairly close to the piano with the camera on self timer to give me a few seconds to get the lighting "right".

I can now say that my birthday is next month, and Mrs SP has strict instructions ref a 2 pack of Godox 600 / 685Os and an off camera trigger :D

Music by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

I imagine that’s how it would look if you played in the dark wearing a head torch [emoji4]

The hint of keys and sharp focus on the music sheet work very well as I find myself working out what it is. Great choice!

Your potential new lights will be fun, but will they make it better, better, better, better, better....

I quite like the low key lighting except for the bright patch of blue on the sheet music but maybe a black and white conversion would make it less obvious

Very Imaginative Alex!

The lighting definitely does what you intended it to.

I really like the lighting on this even if it is a camping light. Very subtle. Good luck with the new purchases.

It works but I agree with @Allan.H that monochrome would remove the distraction of the colours in the sheet music.

I imagine that’s how it would look if you played in the dark wearing a head torch [emoji4]

The hint of keys and sharp focus on the music sheet work very well as I find myself working out what it is. Great choice!

Your potential new lights will be fun, but will they make it better, better, better, better, better....

Depends whether I'm a fool who plays it cool or if I let it under my skin :coat:

A great bit of lighting there. Goes to show you don't need loads of gear, just a willingness to experiment with whatever you have. (y)

Thank you - I enjoyed the experimentation, and well be continuing with it! I used to have a couple of studio strobes, but had to sell them when we moved in to a seriously tiny flat, and never quite good around to replacing them after doing less photography for s good few years.

I quite like the low key lighting except for the bright patch of blue on the sheet music but maybe a black and white conversion would make it less obvious
It works but I agree with @Allan.H that monochrome would remove the distraction of the colours in the sheet music.

That for the pointer - I think I may have been guilty of looking only at one aspect of this picture rather than considering it as a whole.

Very Imaginative Alex!
The lighting definitely does what you intended it to.
That's nice Alex. The light works well.
I think you nailed the image Alex, great lighting on the music sheet too.
I really like the lighting on this even if it is a camping light. Very subtle. Good luck with the new purchases.
Works well, I like the just visible piano keys.

Thanks all, and I'm sorry in advance for some more testing and experimentation over the next few weeks...

Music
Really like the light shining on the sheet music, I think it's cool looking, maybe a warmer time would look a little nicer (just my opinion of course):)

So - I had an idea for this to shoot a trichrome and hit both colour and B&W in the same thread. Packed up the 4x5, tripod, filters, etc. Loaded the film. Set the alarm for thirty minutes before sunrise with a plan to head for Red Rock Conservation Area - then woke up at 2am realising I don't have a blue filter for any of my cameras :banghead:

So - time for a rapid re-plan, and something of a PABD. This definitely doesn't count as the technique!

One of these things is not like the others... by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Excellent, Im sure some people won't get it but I think its very clever :clap:

Last edited:
Well, I got it and its funny how counter intuitive it is, just from looking.
Cool shot. definitely more than just a PABD imo.
At this time, many of us are restricted to setting up shots in-doors, outside our usual genre so amusing shots like this are cool :)

Nope I didn't get it, but its a nice image nonetheless Alex

Back