weekly SimonB 52 for 2022 - Week 52 - Showcase

Lovely shot Simon

Thanks!

Happy to have inspired you ha ha! You've nicely captured 'Rod'. I like the negative space on the left. There does appear to be a little bit of a light halo around Rod - did you maybe raise the shadows here, or is it his Ready Brek glowing? Or is it just the sun on the water?

It really looks like somewhere hot and sunny, not the Crosby Marina I remember. I vaguely remember losing the tip of my board to those rocks on the edge, though I don't think there was so much vegetation 30 years ago!

Thanks very much, I did try and lighten Rod a bit and I was being a bit lazy about it. Must try harder next time!

It was a lovely day at the lake, it was quite busy and plenty of people taking advantage of the sunshine. I did enjoy watching people learning to windsurf, many falls!

I remember the aching belly muscles from that sort of exercise! And the backache after a couple of hours windsurfing!

Shot certainly fits the week's theme.

Thanks, sailing looked like hard work!

Great image. My son in law is a sailing fanatic but he and my daughter live over 200 miles away so I couldn't get a chance to take a shot of him.

Typical eh maybe another theme will pop up when you next see them.

Sunrise/Sunset - wonderfully exposed shot Simon, I like the ship and the wind turbines on the horizon
Sport(s) - another great shot, gives the impression of movement and the struggle to keep the boat from capsizing

Thanks very much!

Nice shot Simon!

Drifting at Three Sisters? I was tempted but not at £15. I opted for Aintree motorcycle racing at £10 - and plus I'd never been there before.

Cheers (y) You took some good pictures that day!

I thought this was some sort of rivet on a piece of leather at first glance.

Really interesting shot. and the viewpoint is great.

That's a great shot anyway, and even better when I read that you'd managed this on a phone.

Thanks, I completely see the leather rivet now!

Well timed and composed - you've captured the essence of this sport.

Thanks (y)

That's really nice! At this size Rod's head gets a little lost where it meets the shoreline, but bigger on Flickr, the issue goes away. I love the body position.

Cheers, I agree with Rods head getting a little lost.

Nicely framed Simon, you’ve captured Rod at play really well.

Thanks!

I did enjoy watching people learning to windsurf, many falls!
Yes if you're not falling in, you're probably not learning. I remember people laughing and laughing at me when I started out.... but really I was having all the fun :D... I think... later the falls just become more spectacular.

Nicely taken image of the sailing.

Thanks! (y)

Yes if you're not falling in, you're probably not learning. I remember people laughing and laughing at me when I started out.... but really I was having all the fun :D... I think... later the falls just become more spectacular.

Very true, It was fun watching them falling in and persevering and trying again, rather them than me though!

I got up bright and early for this picture, it was one of those mornings when bang you are wide awake at 5 am. I had a zebra crossing picture in mind and I wanted to go for a different angle this time, however the sun betrayed me this morning by hiding behind a cloud. I was hoping that a shadow from me would really add to the shot, but I'm pretty pleased with this.

It helped to be up really early too as there was no traffic or people around to worry about.

Still plenty of parallel lines in this one!

Zebra by Simon Brown

Last edited:
Fantastic shot Simon! Great composition and all of the competing shapes and lines work really well together. Having someone walking through the crosswalk is the icing on the cake.

Fantastic shot Simon! Great composition and all of the competing shapes and lines work really well together. Having someone walking through the crosswalk is the icing on the cake.

Thanks very much, it turned out very well. I did take a picture without me walking through and it didn’t look right at all!

Neatly done. Love this shot for the theme.

Thanks Simon!

What a cracking image of your self, totally love and well shot.

Cheers :D

Went out for a trip to the Zoo today to really put my new lens purchase into practice. The 300mm zoom makes such a big difference when taking pictures of the animals especially when they can be far away in the enclosures. Speaking of the enclosures I noticed that most of them had metal mesh covering them and then I realised that I could use this for this week's theme!

As always I struggled to pick my favorite picture so here are my three from today's trip.

I quite like this picture and almost submitted it because the Macaw isn't in focus, but at the same time it's a shame that it isn't.

Macaw by Simon Brown

My chosen shot, it took quite a few snaps to get the Macaws' eye in the middle of the square.

Behind Bars by Simon Brown

Quite like the detailing on the feathers for this one.

Feeding Time by Simon Brown

Cheers.

Last edited:
I like the second picture as well, it looks like his watching you.

Great shots Simon. I would have gone with you first thought and chosen #1, especially for the theme to emphasize the metal wire.

I like the second picture as well, it looks like his watching you.

Thanks, probably thinking who is that fool with the camera!

Great shots Simon. I would have gone with you first thought and chosen #1, especially for the theme to emphasize the metal wire.

Ha! thanks I was very 50/50 on which one to pick.

Nice shots, and I think you picked the best one for the main thread.

Thanks Dave!

All great shots Simon for me, for different reasons.
The first ticks the theme for me the best, but also has some poignancy in a way that there's an bird behind the cage mesh but being out of focus the mesh is the subject not the bird (ps I'm absolutely not anti-zoo!)
The second works well because you've taken the time to get the eye squared up, and the bird's face is so concentrated
The thirds is as you say, exquisite on the feather detailing.
Lovely!

All great shots Simon for me, for different reasons.
The first ticks the theme for me the best, but also has some poignancy in a way that there's an bird behind the cage mesh but being out of focus the mesh is the subject not the bird (ps I'm absolutely not anti-zoo!)
The second works well because you've taken the time to get the eye squared up, and the bird's face is so concentrated
The thirds is as you say, exquisite on the feather detailing.
Lovely!

Thanks for your comments! I agree with your thoughts about animals behind cages and I always would like to see them have the most space possible.

In No.1 the bird looks a bid depressed like he's in prisoner cell block H but I still like it and the others, No.2 being my favourite :D Well done Simon! :D

Great set of pics Simon. I really love the first - it’s still obviously a Macaw and it’s different from the zoo shots you would ordinarily see.

In No.1 the bird looks a bid depressed like he's in prisoner cell block H but I still like it and the others, No.2 being my favourite :D Well done Simon! :D

Very true and that's what put me off choosing that one to a certain extent.

Great set of pics Simon. I really love the first - it’s still obviously a Macaw and it’s different from the zoo shots you would ordinarily see.

Thanks!

Good timing and a good metal shot with help from macaw.

Thanks, he was difficult to work with!

This one was open to interpretation and here is my treasured possession pig moneybox who in turn looks after my treasure!

It was a gift from my Nan who has since passed away many years ago and I used to regularly put change in there until it was full and then spend the change on drinks for a night out. Don't come across change much these days with contactless payments making purchases a lot easier. This pig was/is part of a range called "Piggin Pigs" from the early 90s, I believe they were stopped being produced in the early 2000s.

I used my macro lens to take this picture as the normal 18-135mm couldn't seem to produce a sharp picture. :rolleyes: Something that will need investigation.

Piggin Rich
by Simon Brown

Nice piggy pic Simon

What a great piggy bank Simon. A keeper. I have an old cigar tin with full of old coins (everything pre-1967) but I wish I had something like this to keep them in.

That's a blast from the past!
I like the lighting a lot, and the expression on the pigs face is great.

That's one happy pig.. it made me smile. What a nice think to have as a memento of your gran.

You've captured your piggy bank perfectly. He does look like he's guarding your money carefully.
The lighting and background work well.

Nice piggy pic Simon

Thanks!

What a great piggy bank Simon. A keeper. I have an old cigar tin with full of old coins (everything pre-1967) but I wish I had something like this to keep them in.

Thanks, Would your old coins be worth anything more than there face value now to a collector?

Well set up and lit Simon. Looks a happy pig.

Thanks, I had help from my wifes phone ha

Nicely done Simon. Well on theme!

Thank you!

That's a blast from the past!
I like the lighting a lot, and the expression on the pigs face is great.

Yes he’s very Scrooge like!

That's one happy pig.. it made me smile. What a nice think to have as a memento of your gran.

Thanks, I think he would happier if he had more coins in him!

He looks very happy with his treasure. Well taken :D

Thanks, he doesn’t give up the treasure easily!

You've captured your piggy bank perfectly. He does look like he's guarding your money carefully.
The lighting and background work well.

Thank you, I would say too carefully ha!

My apologies for my lack comments recently but I’m very lucky to be on holiday in Mexico on my delayed honeymoon (thanks Covid). So I didn’t bring any camera equipment with me as I didn’t fancy lugging it around really. So this shot was from a local park tour and I thought well, that’s a solid Iguana on a solid path he will do!

I’m also beginning to think that there’s such a thing as being too hot ha but it’s nice to laze about and read as many books as I like without being disturbed.

Still will be home soon (Bugger!)

Solid Iguana by Simon Brown

Back