weekly SimonB 52 for 2022 - Week 52 - Showcase

Nice set of images, i'd also have gone for the leaf, there's something about its simplicity and colour that catches my eye.

Who doesn't love a Bluebell shot?

The textures in the tulip are really beautiful too though.

All lovely shots. I really like the leaf actually. It makes you stop and look at the veins. Bluebells are out already are they? I'd better get into the woods.

I wonder if you bought the 70-300 I've just sold!

I feel sorry for the harassed birds too.

Nice set of images, i'd also have gone for the leaf, there's something about its simplicity and colour that catches my eye.

Who doesn't love a Bluebell shot?

The textures in the tulip are really beautiful too though.

All lovely shots. I really like the leaf actually. It makes you stop and look at the veins. Bluebells are out already are they? I'd better get into the woods.

I wonder if you bought the 70-300 I've just sold!

I feel sorry for the harassed birds too.

Thanks everyone! :)

Behop, I bought it from Wex Photo there were quite a few to choose from. Quite happy with it so far.

My sister-in-law has quite an unusual pet that we are currently looking after, It is a three-legged albino ferret. Every now and then we take her out for a walk, which does draw some funny looks!

She was however an absolute bugger to take a picture of! It took a number of attempts to get a shot I was happy with and quite a few tweaking of setting on the fly which was good practice.

Hope you enjoy my unusual picture!

Walkies
by Simon Brown

Thanks everyone! :)

Behop, I bought it from Wex Photo there were quite a few to choose from. Quite happy with it so far.
I sold mine to Wex :) I had barely used it in recent years, but I struggled to part with it as it is a great lens, sharp and quite nice and compact. However I had the 100-400 and also a 70-200 2.8 so it really didn't make sense to keep it. Hoping I don't miss it!!!

I very much like you unusual picture. There can't be very many three legged albino ferrets around :)

It does look a tricky subject to expose for, but you've managed it perfectly and I like that he/she is well positioned with the shade behind.

Well if there was a prize each week this week you would certainly win.
Great shot and you’ve done well to persevere with a very tricky subject.

Amazing what you get when you allow a two-legged ferret to breed with a four-legged ferret :)

Totally love this image Simon, my mate use to go out and have his pet rat on his shoulder when out and about.

Thanks! a rat on a shoulder, I'd be worried if it fell and ran off!

I sold mine to Wex :) I had barely used it in recent years, but I struggled to part with it as it is a great lens, sharp and quite nice and compact. However I had the 100-400 and also a 70-200 2.8 so it really didn't make sense to keep it. Hoping I don't miss it!!!

I very much like you unusual picture. There can't be very many three legged albino ferrets around :)

It does look a tricky subject to expose for, but you've managed it perfectly and I like that he/she is well positioned with the shade behind.

Thanks! I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. You didn't sell your lens with a tripod ring adapter as well did you? It would be a bit funny if I've ended up with your lens!

Well if there was a prize each week this week you would certainly win.
Great shot and you’ve done well to persevere with a very tricky subject.

Wow, that is high praise thank you!

Amazing what you get when you allow a two-legged ferret to breed with a four-legged ferret :)

Ha probably lucky she didn't end up with six legs!

I have come across ferrets as pets but a three-legged albino one definitely fits the theme. Nice clean image with good dof and well lit.

Thanks! She is a curious one and never stays still for long.

Thanks! I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. You didn't sell your lens with a tripod ring adapter as well did you? It would be a bit funny if I've ended up with your lens!
It would be funny and we probably both could have benefitted if we'd known, but no, mine didn't have a tripod ring, so it sounds like it was not mine. It is a fabulous lens.

Great image Simon ... at least you don't carry it down your trousers :)

I'm a bit late to the game with this week's theme. I've had a busy Easter weekend with my father-in-law popping over to help me rebuild the shed roof. Hopefully, it'll be watertight now! It was also nice to start throwing the gardening equipment into the shed and get it out of the garage! This week's picture is an attempt at a product display advert, which is really just a shot of the tools I had yet to tidy away. I had tweaked the colours slightly as it was looking a bit washed out with the bright sunshine.

Thoughts and comments are always welcome.

DIY
by Simon Brown

This is a nice still-life Simon or possibly a product shot. I think that if you worked the scene a little better to get a lower angle and tried to compose to get the shadow on the right out it could be a very strong shot.

Well I have exactly the same kit so good choice!
Also well composed.

Thanks, the tools performed well the only problem is that I'm always wanting more!

This is a nice still-life Simon or possibly a product shot. I think that if you worked the scene a little better to get a lower angle and tried to compose to get the shadow on the right out it could be a very strong shot.

Thanks for your comments, I agree with you about the shadow on the right. I was fighting the rapidly setting sun so I didn't notice the shadow until afterward.

That works well Simon. Perhaps crop out the shadow as Bill mentioned.

Well done on both counts. I'd buy one :D

Thanks always need more tools though!

A nice tidy shot ... I had to do a double take as the DW gear, square, FatMax tape and even the pencil are the same as mine ... spooky ;)

Working with hand tools is more satisfying as I have been finding out recently, but I nice colourful image. I like yellow and black.

Pete

So I looked outside today and it looked like a good day to fly the drone, I had a location in mind and cycled out a couple of miles to reach it. However, it was so windy! the drone really struggled to stay stable and the pictures weren't as good as I had hoped.

Thankfully on the way home, I was lucky to spot a lone tree in a field so I used my DSLR to take these pictures, which when converted to B+W helped show what a horrible day it was despite the sunshine. The other picture I took I thought showed how nice the path looked disappearing into the distance surrounded by trees giving me a break from the wind.

I was glad to get home.

Lone Tree
by Simon Brown

Tree winding path
by Simon Brown

Cheers.

Looks like the tree have sunk.
I do like the path as it disappears into the distant.

I like both shots Simon but, like Pete above, I am partial to paths leading through the woods...

That does look like an angry sky...
There is something about paths that lead you in to the picture, automatically creating interest.

Two very nice images.
The path is quite special. I think that the light patch surrounded by darkness is creating an almost hypnotic effect.

Two nice images, but I prefer the first one (although the second, the path image is also good).

Seen through a window - Great timing and looks caption worthy.

Technology - Any electronic type organiser can be very useful but take away the necessary power and eventually you are back to pen and paper. Although I have done the opposite and used my phone to take a photo of a written note as a backup.

Discarded - I'm assuming the banana peel is weighing down the crisp packet to stop it blowing away. The spot colouring helps define the image.

Flora - All the images are interesting, personally the veins image is my favourite. The flower for me is too close up or not close enough if that makes sense!

Unusual - The sight of the ferret would definitely raise some eyebrows and is perfect for the theme. The composition, lighting and colours are spot on.

Snappers Choice - Until I got more into photography I didn't realise how shadows played a part in a photo. With this you have both welcome and unwelcome shadows. I wonder what the photo would look like with the tools further away from the wall?

Trees - I really like the mood created in the B+W conversion. I'm wondering if the horizon it slightly off?

Nice mono for trees :)

Looks like the tree have sunk.
I do like the path as it disappears into the distant.

Thanks, You know I thought the tree looked like it had sunk too.

I like both shots Simon but, like Pete above, I am partial to paths leading through the woods...

Thanks, once I put the path picture through lightroom it looked a lot better!

That does look like an angry sky...
There is something about paths that lead you in to the picture, automatically creating interest.

Ah another vote for the path! Thanks :)

Two very nice images.
The path is quite special. I think that the light patch surrounded by darkness is creating an almost hypnotic effect.

Thanks, I hadn't spotted the light patches it is hypnotic!

Liking the first image even though two good shots, that B&W is a belter of an image.

Thanks, Dave (y)

Two nice images, but I prefer the first one (although the second, the path image is also good).

Thanks, Simon. It's hard to choose sometimes.

Nice mono for trees :)

Thanks, Dave. The mono certainly improved the picture.

Back