weekly SimonB - 52 for 2024 - Week 15 & 16 - Snappers (with tech) & Empty (with tech)

That's certainly wet!

Works well ;)

The light works really well, as does the soft focus. I like the off centre composition too.

Looks good, the water flow on the metal works. Mine is in desperate need too.

Just did mine this afternoon too. First time since mid December.

I like the contrast with the white and green.

Thank you, a few days and it’s not looking its best!

Get the bucket and sponge out, do the proper job!

It’s a pre-rinse

That's certainly wet!

Works well ;)

It ticks a box!

A different take on the theme Simon. Works for me.

Good to different ha

The light works really well, as does the soft focus. I like the off centre composition too.

Thank you

Looks good, the water flow on the metal works. Mine is in desperate need too.

Thanks, I quite like the ripples on the car.

Good take on the theme. Works for me!

Thank you it’s another one done!

An almost rare moment for me to have a day off today and the weather happens to be decent too. I took myself to the local beach to see what the fuss was about a new rig that had appeared out at sea. This would be a good opportunity to tick the box for the tech theme as I wanted to try out the B+W setting on my camera and not rely on Lightroom.

The large rig appeared a month or so ago and it appears that it will be around for the next three years or so. Its job is to decommission around 55 gas and oil wells in the local area. The smaller rig has been there since I was a small child and I remember they used to light what I presume was excess gas, it looked like a huge flamethrower in the distance.

I did get my drone up to get a closer picture but the wind was too strong and the tide was still too far in, still it was fun to fly the drone again!

My submitted picture is straight out of the camera, I have the camera set to take RAW and JPG images so I just selected the JPG for this submission. The other two pictures have been tweaked in Lightroom to how I feel they looked best along with a colour picture as a matter of interest.

I hope you like the pictures!

Submitted Picture

Rigs at sea
by Simon Brown

Edited B+W picture, this was straightened but this might be too grainy.

Rigs at sea edited
by Simon Brown

A colour picture, also tweaked in Lightroom as the sand was far too yellow originally.

Rigs in colour
by Simon Brown

An almost rare moment for me to have a day off today and the weather happens to be decent too. I took myself to the local beach to see what the fuss was about a new rig that had appeared out at sea. This would be a good opportunity to tick the box for the tech theme as I wanted to try out the B+W setting on my camera and not rely on Lightroom.

The large rig appeared a month or so ago and it appears that it will be around for the next three years or so. Its job is to decommission around 55 gas and oil wells in the local area. The smaller rig has been there since I was a small child and I remember they used to light what I presume was excess gas, it looked like a huge flamethrower in the distance.

I did get my drone up to get a closer picture but the wind was too strong and the tide was still too far in, still it was fun to fly the drone again!

My submitted picture is straight out of the camera, I have the camera set to take RAW and JPG images so I just selected the JPG for this submission. The other two pictures have been tweaked in Lightroom to how I feel they looked best along with a colour picture as a matter of interest.

I hope you like the pictures!

Submitted Picture

Rigs at sea by Simon Brown

Edited B+W picture, this was straightened but this might be too grainy.

Rigs at sea edited by Simon Brown

A colour picture, also tweaked in Lightroom as the sand was far too yellow originally.

Rigs in colour by Simon Brown
My first thought was that it was way to dark which strikes me as odd being that it's a B&W setting from the camera. I don't use any of those settings, other then like yourself, I wanted to see what it would look like. I love the image, composition and particularly the history that you shared. The grain didn't bother me at all, but I've been processing some film and kind of have a new application for it of recent times. Great work

Well done and both tech and theme boxes ticked.

I have spend many years on numbers of those things but hundred mile offshore in the middle of North Sea. Are you near Morecambe Bay area?

Wow, that's not a job I would fancy it must be tough! Not quite Morecombe Bay this was taken from Ainsdale Beach so Liverpool Bay area.

My first thought was that it was way to dark which strikes me as odd being that it's a B&W setting from the camera. I don't use any of those settings, other then like yourself, I wanted to see what it would look like. I love the image, composition and particularly the history that you shared. The grain didn't bother me at all, but I've been processing some film and kind of have a new application for it of recent times. Great work

Thanks for the comments, I suppose it does have a look of film processing about it, which is quite cool. Now that you mention it does look quite dark, I'm not sure if Flickr has done something there as opening the picture on my screen from the memory card is a little bit lighter.

The first is dark and brooding. I think the mono edit is the best. Well documented to boot.

Thanks very much, a good rainstorm would have made the picture perfect but then I'd be wet!

Wow, that's not a job I would fancy it must be tough! Not quite Morecombe Bay this was taken from Ainsdale Beach so Liverpool Bay area.

Thanks for the comments, I suppose it does have a look of film processing about it, which is quite cool. Now that you mention it does look quite dark, I'm not sure if Flickr has done something there as opening the picture on my screen from the memory card is a little bit lighter.

Thanks very much, a good rainstorm would have made the picture perfect but then I'd be wet!
I did a still life a couple of weeks ago and shared it on FB. But it didn't look anything like what I made. It was the oddest thing. So that's a good possibility.

Hi Simon,

Water: Does what it says on the tin :) I hope your camera was weather sealed ;)
Snappers: The processing certainly makes the submitted image more atmospheric and I like it, but... I'm confused about the artistic choice to put the horizon at an angle on the submitted image in processing whereas the unedited image has a horizontal horizon.

I prefer the colour one Simon, the first is a little too dark on my screen. :)

Yeah you're right it appears to be a lot darker on the screen after the upload.

Hi Simon,

Water: Does what it says on the tin :) I hope your camera was weather sealed ;)
Snappers: The processing certainly makes the submitted image more atmospheric and I like it, but... I'm confused about the artistic choice to put the horizon at an angle on the submitted image in processing whereas the unedited image has a horizontal horizon.

Ah, no artistic choice I think my eyes are beginning to betray me!

This week's idea didn't take too long to come up with, that's quite unusual for me!

This is a Lego set that my wife bought me for Christmas and I have finally got around to building it now. Now and then I like to "Knoll" the pieces, it is a strangely satisfying process. I think in the end it all looks neat and tidy.

A quick Google states that "Knolling is the process of arranging objects so they are parallel or at 90-degree angles."

Anyway time to get building!

Knolling by Simon Brown

Nice take on the theme Simon. Wear shoes when you build it!!!!

New word for me as well, can imagine it being satisfying and good to check all bits present

Nice take on the theme Simon. Wear shoes when you build it!!!!

No worse pain than standing on a Lego piece!

Lego certainly works with knolling photography. Good idea.

Thanks!

That certainly works, and I learned a new word!

It was a new word for me a couple of months ago too!

New word for me as well, can imagine it being satisfying and good to check all bits present

It was certainly very quick to put that stage of the model together.

Ha, I do that too when building Lego. Probably as organised as I ever get, good take.

Thanks very much :)

Snappers: The processed image is definitely better in my eyes but you have ticked the tech box. Interesting shot too.
Neat and tidy: I've never heard of knolling...every day is a school day!

A trip to the beach today to fly the drone around and unfortunately it was quite busy. I'm not supposed to fly the drone over crowds, so it'll be one for the middle of the week. I had a few ideas for the theme but none of them came out as planned. Thankfully my dear wife pointed out how filthy my boots were from the beach so the picture was right in front of me!

Admittedly they could be dirtier but I'm probably passed the age of jumping about in puddles!

Oh! This was also taken as is with no tweaking in Lightroom

Filthy Boots by Simon Brown

Good shot, like the composition but, Past the age of jumping in puddles??? Like snowball fights there is no upper age limit in my opinion, that said my knees don't like jumping much these days.

Nicel shot of a pair of almost clean trainers :D

That works - as you say, they could be dirtier.

Definitely could be dirtier!

Great minds
Knock the soles against each other will get that off and as a bonus if you have an Apple Watch it will set off the emergency accident thingy

Ha will have to give that a go.

Looks like they‘re carefully positioned on the lounge carpet, is Mrs B on standby with the hoover?

Ready with the rolling pin!

Yes, dirty hobnails on a clean carpet. Nicely done.

Thanks!

Good shot, like the composition but, Past the age of jumping in puddles??? Like snowball fights there is no upper age limit in my opinion, that said my knees don't like jumping much these days.

My knees would also have to agree with you too!

Nicel shot of a pair of almost clean trainers :D

No no filthy trainers :ROFLMAO:

A tricky theme for this week, lots of good interpretations from everyone too. I happened to have a day off today and taking a picture for this week's theme was on my list of jobs for today. While I was giving the cat some fuss (hard guy to ignore!) I looked up and saw the most wonderful sunrise through the window filling the whole sky.

Honestly, the sky was this vivid, I tweaked the colours in Lightroom only very slightly and I think the blinds add a little interest to the picture. So I have my photography assistant the cat to thank for spotting this shot.

Whole Sunrise by Simon Brown

Last edited:
Back