Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Nice shots for gate Chris. I see what u mean about the second one being more of a crowd pleaser but as a Yorkshire man I don't think you can beat a bit of dry stone walking :)
Thanks Tilly

#1 for for me Chris, a great wide open space showing the flint walls and the gate, I do like the other one but 1st for me, great colours and a great shot on theme :)
Thanks Dave

Definitely the second gate shot for me Chris. Much more dramatic, it's posing a question as to why there is a gate that can be swung across a road (presumably it's an entrance, but that question goes un-answered.
Thanks Tim, I was asking a similar question of the first, why there is no track to that gate?

Second has the bigger impact, the road leading to the house all adds to the overall picture I do like the first one too it is as you say in a style you have done before and if that’s what you wanted then it’s your choice, maybe just post the one you want, I am not one for crowd pleasing (y)
Thanks Allan, I had a choice of about 8, I thought getting it down to two was doing fairly well.

Both are very nice shots, Chris. I like the open space of the first and for #2 I like to see a bit more of the gate.
Thanks Stan, as is so often the case I would have liked more of the gate in #2 but I was avoiding other distracting elements, signs, poles, etc.

I like both shots - the depth of field on the second is interesting, but I wonder if a radical crop on the first might strengthen it? I mean taking off some grass at the bottom and cutting just above where the wall meets the right hand side of the shot so the gate becomes the only focal point?
Thanks Phill, fair point about cropping and getting a more isolated gate is somehting I would be looking to do in a reshoot.

Gate(d) - Both are very good images, but it has to be the second image, with good DOF.
Thanks Mandy.

#1 for me but with a massive crop .... take about 1/3 off the top and you're left with letterbox minimalism .... grass, wall & gate.

Last edited:
I prefer the first one by a snitch, gives a nice open view.

Pete
Thanks Pete

#1 for me but with a massive crop .... take about 1/3 off the top and you're left with letterbox minimalism .... grass, wall & gate.
Thanks David and Bernd, iI probably agree but t is already a bit of a crop and I had gone out with a prime macro to shoot details when I saw that. It needs a reshoot and probably a subject that I can get closer to.

I like both of them Chris, I can't decide which of the two I prefer, the first one sort of led me down the wall into the gate and the second I was led up the road...nice one!

Really enjoy the first gate image you posted. I agree with some others who mentioned perhaps cropping out the trees - I'd at least crop out the bit of the sky in the top left, it's slightly distracting. I'd perhaps lower the exposure just a little as well, but I do prefer a slightly darker image. Great start to the 52 and I look forward to seeing more!

1st one for me.
I would crop the top down to the top of the trees in front of the rear wall, but that is just my personal taste.

Last edited:
Really enjoy the first gate image you posted. I agree with some others who mentioned perhaps cropping out the trees - I'd at least crop out the bit of the sky in the top left, it's slightly distracting. I'd perhaps lower the exposure just a little as well, but I do prefer a slightly darker image. Great start to the 52 and I look forward to seeing more!

1st one for me.
I would crop the top down to the top of the trees in front of the rear wall, but that is just my personal taste.

Thanks both

Well I'm really can not make my mind up as to which one I prefer lover the first one becuase of the surroundings, but the second one also appeals for hte great use of DoF.

2 great shoots for the theme:)

Two super images, Chris, and as I'm late to this one it's fascinating to read the differing opinions and explanations to why some prefer #1 and some like #2 more. I like the first one for the sweeping lines of the field and the wall, and especially the way that the gate is the focal point but only a small part of the overall scene (y) But... I'm a sucker for images with shallow DOF like your second and it works so well with the road leading away and the natural colours. They both work very well and I'd probably plump for #2, just :)

Second one for me Chris but not an easy choice both lovely images.

Well I'm really can not make my mind up as to which one I prefer lover the first one becuase of the surroundings, but the second one also appeals for hte great use of DoF.

2 great shoots for the theme:)
Thanks Mark

Two super images, Chris, and as I'm late to this one it's fascinating to read the differing opinions and explanations to why some prefer #1 and some like #2 more. I like the first one for the sweeping lines of the field and the wall, and especially the way that the gate is the focal point but only a small part of the overall scene (y) But... I'm a sucker for images with shallow DOF like your second and it works so well with the road leading away and the natural colours. They both work very well and I'd probably plump for #2, just :)
Thanks Andrea, I agree I was a bit surprised than a lot of people liked the first, I thought the second would be the pick for most people.

Both good for the theme, I like the small enclosure with its dry stone wall. There is more impact in the second shot but I would like to see a bit more of the gate

Both good for the theme, I like the small enclosure with its dry stone wall. There is more impact in the second shot but I would like to see a bit more of the gate
Thanks Minx

Well done for getting something and extra points for using film (how are you finding developing getting it on the reels can be a bit of a challenge)
all I can say is thank God that’s over with as a subject

Very well done. As Allan says, great effort using film!

Looking very vintage and worthy of the theme

Well done for getting something and extra points for using film (how are you finding developing getting it on the reels can be a bit of a challenge)
all I can say is thank God that’s over with as a subject
I didn't find shooting this theme too bad TBH. Had a few false starts getting this one on the reel and 24 seems to go better than 36 but it's going OK. Flippin' dust is my big problem, I really don't know where it is coming from.

Very well done. As Allan says, great effort using film!

Looking very vintage and worthy of the theme
Thanks Ian.

Those I like especially the fact you’ve used film. I’ve got the same camera tucked away in storage and that’s got me seriously considering digging it and my old darkroom gear back out (my wife will be thrilled I’m sure!) (y)

Those I like especially the fact you’ve used film. I’ve got the same camera tucked away in storage and that’s got me seriously considering digging it and my old darkroom gear back out (my wife will be thrilled I’m sure!) (y)
Thanks. At least you still have your gear, I got rid of mine decades ago but asked Santa for some replacements this Christmas.

Film people is a very nice set Chris, even though you don`t do street/people I think you did a very good job :)
Thanks Dave, this issue I found was really catching people in just the right moment, which I didn't seem to manage.

A nice set there Chris.
It shows off the uniformity of High Streets quite well.
All you film users are making me consider digging out Brownie 127, but as I don't process my own film (even if you can still get 127) I'd never be sble to post for the right week.

Great set of images Chris love the use of B&W film.

I would love to be able to use my film cameras for my 52 challenge but like Tim I cannot develop my own films (yet)

A nice set there Chris.
It shows off the uniformity of High Streets quite well.
All you film users are making me consider digging out Brownie 127, but as I don't process my own film (even if you can still get 127) I'd never be sble to post for the right week.
Thanks Tim, I wouldn't be surprised if @dmb doesn't have some 127 in his fridge ;)

Great set of images Chris love the use of B&W film.

I would love to be able to use my film cameras for my 52 challenge but like Tim I cannot develop my own films (yet)
Thanks Mark, it's funny how these things come around

Just been having a mooch around the net. 127 film does seem to be available.
I may have to see if the old beast does still actually work, and if it does, maybe press it into action.

Its is Tim I have some that intend to run though my great uncles Kodak Pocket Vest Model B camera and the Mamiya 645 kit I brought on a whim last year.

If you want I'll see if I have a spare roll

An excellent set of shots, they do go rather well together! And extra points for being quaint and using film :)

Great atmosphere in those photos Chris.

I have an Olympus OM1 I'm drying to try out, Did you do your own processing, that takes me back so many years.
I used to take photos of bare trees, process the film and while enlarging to print, would turn on a white light for a short while, it gave a line around the details in the tree, I can't remember what that process was called now, anyone else know?

Pete

Great set of images Chris!

Great atmosphere in those photos Chris.

I have an Olympus OM1 I'm drying to try out, Did you do your own processing, that takes me back so many years.
I used to take photos of bare trees, process the film and while enlarging to print, would turn on a white light for a short while, it gave a line around the details in the tree, I can't remember what that process was called now, anyone else know?

Pete
Yes, having got rid of my processing gear a couple of decades ago Santa brought me a tank and scanner. That was called solarizing IIRC, it worked well with things like pylons too.

Great set of images Chris!
Thanks Daniel

Must say I’m admiring the use of film Chris .... I remember my Dad in his his little ‘dark room’ but I wouldn’t know where to start. Really nicely put together too, I like the film reel sequence, it works really well.
Thanks Susie, no dark room needed these days (I'm not sure I would go back to that, I was never really any good at printing), just a developing bag, tank and scanner.

Yes, having got rid of my processing gear a couple of decades ago Santa brought me a tank and scanner. That was called solarizing IIRC, it worked well with things like pylons too.

That was it, Solarising, thanks for jogging my memory Chris

Well done on going out and getting real people, Chris, not just once but four times :) They all work well as individual images and as a set; I just wonder if the set might look even better without #2 as that one seems to be slightly less contrasty and the people aren't quite so prominent. It could be because it's the only one with the sky in the frame that makes it appear the odd one out to me, and that's just my humble opinion, not a criticism as I think they do complement each other very well. Excellent idea, and great that you're using film too :)

Back