Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Well done on going out and getting real people, Chris, not just once but four times :) They all work well as individual images and as a set; I just wonder if the set might look even better without #2 as that one seems to be slightly less contrasty and the people aren't quite so prominent. It could be because it's the only one with the sky in the frame that makes it appear the odd one out to me, and that's just my humble opinion, not a criticism as I think they do complement each other very well. Excellent idea, and great that you're using film too :)
Thanks Andrea, fair point about #2 the people are a bit lost.

All good street pics in their own right, and all very nicely put together. (y) one or two are a bit tight at the bottom, there's feet missing, or is that deliberate? (some famed street togs have been known to do that)

(some famed street togs have been known to do that)
Well of course I channelling Garry Winogrand :) Really I was more about getting the people inside the shops although a polarizer would have helped

All good street pics in their own right, and all very nicely put together.
Thanks David, really appreciate it.

Thanks Tim, I wouldn't be surprised if @dmb doesn't have some 127 in his fridge ;)

Thanks Mark, it's funny how these things come around

Only 120 and 35mm - but you can cut down 120 backing paper to 127 size and load 35mm onto it and get sprocket shots. Oooh I have a 127 Ilfoflex somewhere as well a my folding Autographic Brownie 1914 model

Week 0 - Thought I recognised that view. Saw the tidal bore come up the river once when daughter dragged me to the top to scout out locations for her uni course project. Great shot - crop from wide angle works well.
Week 1 - A lot of green round the gate but lovely lines in the walls make a pleasing shot.
week 2 - Nice collage of street scenes. The ME Super is a great tool. I think we film users might get subtitled the 'Dust Busters' - it is a constant battle.

Week 0 - Thought I recognised that view. Saw the tidal bore come up the river once when daughter dragged me to the top to scout out locations for her uni course project. Great shot - crop from wide angle works well.
Week 1 - A lot of green round the gate but lovely lines in the walls make a pleasing shot.
week 2 - Nice collage of street scenes. The ME Super is a great tool. I think we film users might get subtitled the 'Dust Busters' - it is a constant battle.
Thanks David, I was surprised the ME worked at all after 20 years in the drawer but all it took was cleaning the corrosion off the battery contacts, I'm enjoying using it again. Yes it's not quite the Severn bore but it's ours and we make a big deal of it :D

A good group of images for the theme, glad you are enjoying the old camera

Good set of photos Chris and you've inspired me to shoot at least one round using film. You're actually bang up to date (or on point as the youth say) as all of the kids on my daughter's university course want to use film.

A good group of images for the theme, glad you are enjoying the old camera
Thanks minx

Good set of photos Chris and you've inspired me to shoot at least one round using film. You're actually bang up to date (or on point as the youth say) as all of the kids on my daughter's university course want to use film.
Thanks Lee, I like to be down-with-the-kids:cool:

I heard there was a bit of snow about in the Dales so I went out looking for a nice stark tree against pure white snow, and whilst there was some good light, getting near a good tree/snow shot was a pretty frustrating exercise so even though I had invested quite a bit of time and diesel in chasing around the Dales, I bit the bullet and went for my first ever film-noir style shoot. I'm not overly happy with her nose but that is due to shadow density and this was the best of the shoot.

(If anyone is interested the "best" of the tree shots is on my flickr https://flic.kr/p/23D4e8r)

Noir-1 by Chris H, on Flickr

Agree with Dave. You've created a lovely mood in this one which has quite a timeless look to it.

Stark and people (well person any way), as above very moody and a picture I’m quite jealous of, I really like it (y)

Hi Chris I would not worry about the shadow on the nose. The actual shot is very good indeed and love the Film Noir, looks like you took a cracking shot imo (y)(y)

Agree with Dave. You've created a lovely mood in this one which has quite a timeless look to it.

Stark and people (well person any way), as above very moody and a picture I’m quite jealous of, I really like it (y)

Thanks guys, really appreciate the encouraging comments, it took a bit of trial and error to get the background/foreground light balanced and it really helps having a daughter who likes being photographed :)

It certainly fits the style for some reason it reminds me of “Brief encounter” I think that’s it :thinking:
I don’t mind the nose shadow the one across her forehead is a pity but that’s really being picky,
it’s a nice shot and its what you were trying to achieve would make a nice series to do a few in a similar style
:clap:

so let's say it's a 7/10 from me.
Didn't know it was a competition. The background is part of the story telling.

the one across her forehead is a pity
:D took me ages to get that snoot right so there was a shadow across her face, shadows on faces seem fairly common in noir photos

Works well in the Noir style you were aiming for, and I much prefer it over the tree.
I really like it. I hope your daughter does too.
Printing it?
Thanks Tim, she's not the most objective judge, she like any photo with her in it. :) Might print it but having said she likes photos of her she wouldn't like it on the wall but she'd be OK with it on social media, I will never understand :thinking:

Great photo! Film noir style with harsh light works a treat (y)

Great job Chris, really nails the film noir idea firmly. Really nicely lit and posibly one of your best shots ?

Excellent portrait, Film Noir to boot. And the BG period furniture works for me.

I've shot every aspect of gates this weekend, from a Roman one to a modern farm one, details views, wide views, anything and everything. So now I'm struggling to decide but this is my pick, although it might get reshot in the next reshoot, it seems to suit my current "style" if I have such a thing

Gate1 by Chris H, on Flickr

And here's one which I suspect is more of a crowd pleaser

Gate2 by Chris H, on Flickr
For me the second picture is the most grabbing image - with the gate being undoubtedly the subject. The road and background add interest and curiosity. Really like it!!

Excellent portrait, Film Noir to boot. And the BG period furniture works for me.
Thanks David, glad you like it.

For me the second picture is the most grabbing image - with the gate being undoubtedly the subject. The road and background add interest and curiosity. Really like it!!
Thanks Gill

A very nice portrait Chris, I would be over the moon with that image, a great pose by your model too, the lighting is great as far as my untrained eye can tell, great shot for the theme (y)
Thanks for the positive comments Dean

Hi Chris

Stark, Great photo, just needs a bit of film gain to make it vintage style.

Agree with everyone else on your Stark shot Chris, it’s excellent, you’ve really captured the right ‘look’ there. What a great model your daughter is, if I point the camera anywhere near my family they immediately make a silly face. Very we’ll done to you both.

Agree with everyone else on your Stark shot Chris, it’s excellent, you’ve really captured the right ‘look’ there. What a great model your daughter is, if I point the camera anywhere near my family they immediately make a silly face. Very we’ll done to you both.
Thanks Susie, I'm making the most of her as she will be off to University later in the year and the rest of the family run a mile if they see a camera.

nicely composed and nice use of natural light it looks simple but as you say a lot harder than it looks taking your time with it has paid off

I like it Chris

The title in the "post your images only" thread made me chuckle

Phil

Back