weekly Sonriendo's 52:2014 Thread - #9 Positive/Positivo

Hi Sarah
You're having a great start to the year! I like all 3 shots you've got the composition, lighting and processing bang on. I look forward to seeing your next themes!

Hi Sarah
You're having a great start to the year! I like all 3 shots you've got the composition, lighting and processing bang on. I look forward to seeing your next themes!

Thank you very much Sarah - I think I've just got lucky with the themes so far - an idea just popped into my head and I've managed to pull it off all three times :)

Hiya Sarah, I like the idea, like the inclusion of the music sheet/book. The ring is a bit distracting. The tones in the image work well.

Strange how people differ. I rather like the ring. It would pain me too to deliberately make anything softer since after the money I've spent on stuff to keep pictures sharp! :rolleyes:

Strange how people differ. I rather like the ring. It would pain me too to deliberately make anything softer since after the money I've spent on stuff to keep pictures sharp! :rolleyes:

Well, the ring was Marmite for sure - I quite like it - and yes I usually like my pictures contrasty and high clarity - so it was quite strange ;)

Hi Sarah - your strong start continues! It's a super interpretation of the theme and I like the high key effect and the narrow DOF, while the music sheets are a really good backdrop. Yes, the background may be a bit busy but you've done what you can with the crop and focus, and the ring is a nice feature too as it draws your eye back to the foreground after initially taking in the instrument and music sheets, then wandering the background. It's a great 'anchor' to the image.

Well loads of comments on play already, so not much to add.
I like the colour tones and the subject, the DoF
Personally I would have liked to get the very end of the flute in shot, and to me the whole image looks a tad soft

Hi Sarah - your strong start continues! It's a super interpretation of the theme and I like the high key effect and the narrow DOF, while the music sheets are a really good backdrop. Yes, the background may be a bit busy but you've done what you can with the crop and focus, and the ring is a nice feature too as it draws your eye back to the foreground after initially taking in the instrument and music sheets, then wandering the background. It's a great 'anchor' to the image.

Thank you very much

Well loads of comments on play already, so not much to add.
I like the colour tones and the subject, the DoF
Personally I would have liked to get the very end of the flute in shot, and to me the whole image looks a tad soft

I was trying to go softer than normal, and by having the end of the flute there was some serious crap involved in the background - what can I say, housework is NOT one of my strongpoints :D

Background looks fine to me. Plain whites can be a bit boring at times :)
Not sure about her ring though. Seems to detract from the theme but it does add a bit of interest. Can't make my mind up!

Background looks fine to me. Plain whites can be a bit boring at times :)
Not sure about her ring though. Seems to detract from the theme but it does add a bit of interest. Can't make my mind up!

It's proved to be very Marmite - I like a bit of marmite :D

Not liking this weeks theme one bit :( I do have a very nice 100mm macro - but never really had any success with it. House models are staging industrial action :eek: so, it's back to the stand by piece of white paper and a bit of a cop out for me :D

Close but not close enough.

#3 Close/Casi
by Sonriendo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Industrial action....INDUSTRIAL ACTION....this is my philosophy linky

Nice soft light, vivid colours and not clean BG.

Sometimes we can only crowbar the theme, get it out of the way and move on (y)

Cheers.

Industrial action....INDUSTRIAL ACTION....this is my philosophy linky

Nice soft light, vivid colours and not clean BG.

Sometimes we can only crowbar the theme, get it out of the way and move on (y)

Cheers.

Liking your philosophy - however stick shops are few and far between here in Spain ;)

Nice one Sarah (y)
Crisp colours against the bright background all work well together.
Some of the themes can be like that, where inspiration doesn't strike but if this is one of those weeks for you, I don't see you having any problem.
Having a default subject is always handy to have in your armoury :D

Good take on the theme, it works well (y)

And I am very jealous of your Daz white BG :p :D

Crisp, clear, eye catching......and a good idea for the theme :)
Crisp clear nice use of lighting and eye catching good idea for the theme.

Thanks ladies :)

Nice one Sarah (y)
Crisp colours against the bright background all work well together.
Some of the themes can be like that, where inspiration doesn't strike but if this is one of those weeks for you, I don't see you having any problem.
Having a default subject is always handy to have in your armoury :D

I actually had quite a few ideas, but there were too many complications with both props and models - and it's grey damp and dark here so I quickly shelved them :D

Hi Sarah,
Good use of lighting and you've managed to get a clean white background! Well done!:)

Thanks

Good take on the theme most certainly. It's left me scratching my head so far!

:LOL:

Good take on the theme, it works well (y)

And I am very jealous of your Daz white BG :p :D

I seem to be quite good at them - had hell of a job with the wb this time round though - it was very yellow - not sure if that was the fruits or my kitchen walls :shrug:

What a nice simple, clean image! Good colours and sharpness. You really nailed it with this one.

Hi Sarah,
nice colour and well lit, I do believe we are are own worst critics sometimes, its a nice image and fits the theme, it works for me(y)

What a nice simple, clean image! Good colours and sharpness. You really nailed it with this one.

Thank you - I do like a bit of white backgound :)

Nice straight image. Simple and effective submission for the theme. (y)

Thanks

A lovely bold colour in there Sarah, it doesn't show that you didn't like the theme. Nice bg.

Hmmm, I did have a few other ideas - but they were far too complex to carry out :D

Hi Sarah,
nice colour and well lit, I do believe we are are own worst critics sometimes, its a nice image and fits the theme, it works for me(y)

I sometimes think I need to have a little bit more self confidence - I can't really see it :LOL:

Close- nice and crisp as said before and fits the theme like the idea could have also been used for the Odd theme;)

Close- nice and crisp as said before and fits the theme like the idea could have also been used for the Odd theme;)
I like the simplicity of this image. Colours - well colour - is nice and vivid with good even lighting

Thanks guys - I did have a very similar Odd substitute like this but with a pear incase I couldn't get hold of a white egg ;) Thought the banana was closer colourwise though :D

close enough for me, lovely yellows, and a great white BG but still retaining enough shadow to ground the subjects.

Hi Sarah

bright bold striking colors , fab white bg........what more could you want :D

close enough for me, lovely yellows, and a great white BG but still retaining enough shadow to ground the subjects.

Thank you

Hi Sarah

bright bold striking colors , fab white bg........what more could you want :D

Well, I just feel like it was a bit of a cop out - I should've made myself get the macro lens and tripod out (gave them both a good dusting) and gone and shot something out of my comfort zone - will try harder next time ;)

Its a nice shot on theme, colourful it works

Thanks

Hi Sarah,

Nice, bright and fresh looking well lit, now how did you light that I wonder, over and under? (y)

Sheet of white paper on the kitchen floor and bounced flash of either ceiling or cupboards - can't remember which this was now - ceiling I think. But my kitchen has loads of windows in it, so it's very light anyway - although it was a dull day.

Back