weekly Sonriendo's 52:2014 Thread - #9 Positive/Positivo

Hi Sarah

where's the "notworthy" smilie gone when ya need him......

Simply brillaint....nuff said :clap::clap:

Thanks Lynne I'm really rather pleased with it myself - I think I've played my best hand now and it's all down hill from here :LOL:

Some crackers so fa, but this is the best I've see :clap: : clap:

The high key works really well. Great detail and eye contact. The facial expression is stunning.

Really great post!

Cheers.

Some crackers so fa, but this is the best I've see :clap: : clap:

The high key works really well. Great detail and eye contact. The facial expression is stunning.

Really great post!

Cheers.

Thank you so much :iamnotworthy:

I find that threats and/or bribery work best with my models :D

Brilliantly well executed, this is an area I really struggle with

Brilliantly well executed, this is an area I really struggle with

What do you struggle with LIz?

Super pic Sarah, well done you (y)

Thanks Michael x

What a great start! Odd is a great image, well executed, and Line/Linear sets the bar rally high in terms of execution again, with such a striking result. Looking forward to seeing more.

Really, I'm not normally this good - just got lucky :D

I struggle with the lighting and posing of portrait work, you seem to have a natural flare for it

I struggle with the lighting and posing of portrait work, you seem to have a natural flare for it

I'm lucky in that I've got very patient daughters, and I struggle with lighting - I can only use my flash in ETTL. This ws bounced off the ceiling. The first shots were very shadowy under the chin and nose, so I dusted off the reflector and it worked (y)

Odd - Super shot. I really like this. The conversion to mono has been well managed and the composition adds to the strength of the image.
Linear/Line - Great portrait. I wasn't expecting a portrait for this theme but this does really work. Great sharpness, composition, make up and lighting. Spot on.

Interesting interpretation of the lines theme nice shot good PP.

Thank you - it came out almost the same as I'd seen it in my head :)

Odd - Super shot. I really like this. The conversion to mono has been well managed and the composition adds to the strength of the image.
Linear/Line - Great portrait. I wasn't expecting a portrait for this theme but this does really work. Great sharpness, composition, make up and lighting. Spot on.

Thank you - I'm not the only portrait this time round - it's good to be different ;)

Hum... :whistle:

Ok nothing to add here, fantastic both brilliant photographs and so well executed.

I've not done any portrait shots so can't comment on the technical aspects but that looks great.
One of my favourite submissions so far. Good work!

hi
lovely high key portrait and different take on theme. well done. would like to learn how to take something like this
:clap:

hi
lovely high key portrait and different take on theme. well done. would like to learn how to take something like this
:clap:

Thanks Anita, having an easily threatened /bribed model helps - it's mostly in the PP as the original SOC shot wasn't really all that :LOL: I'll put the two shots up in my Gallery here for comparison :)

@anitacv The soc jpeg conversion is in my gallery alongside the PP'd version :)

Last edited:
Lovely high key image......which really works for me.....There is just enough of the shoulder lines visible to give context to the head.....if it were not so, I may be worried that the image is too surreal or sci-fi for my taste.....Good work Sarah, definitely one to watch (y)

Well I don't have any real crit I'm afraid. As others have said a very striking image...it does rather spook me out a little though and can't put my finger on why exactly!

Thank you - she is of that age to be slightly scary at the moment :eek:

Lovely high key image......which really works for me.....There is just enough of the shoulder lines visible to give context to the head.....if it were not so, I may be worried that the image is too surreal or sci-fi for my taste.....Good work Sarah, definitely one to watch (y)

Thanks Jason - I think without the shoulders it would be spooky just a head floating :O

Just to echo what's already been said, excellent image Sarah :)

They are two great images! The first one is a brilliant idea, good DoF, bang on theme and well executed.

The second one is my favorite, mono conversion works well and I like the simple idea. Looks like a fashion shot!

Well done :plus1:

They are two great images! The first one is a brilliant idea, good DoF, bang on theme and well executed.

The second one is my favorite, mono conversion works well and I like the simple idea. Looks like a fashion shot!

Well done :plus1:

Thank you very much - #1 girlie will be most impressed :)

#2 Play Tocar
by Sonriendo, on Flickr

Not as happy with this one as I was with the previous two - background is too busy - might have to try it in a room with white walls and use the flash. Tried to process a softer look than normal - damn it hurt to take that clarity slider into the minus numbers :LOL:

Have at it and be brutal....

That was quick and a good effort too. I like the soft tones it suits it well, the music book is a nice touch. I actually don't mind the 'busy ness' of the background, with the shallow depth of field your drawn to the subject anyway. Nice work (y)

That was quick and a good effort too. I like the soft tones it suits it well, the music book is a nice touch. I actually don't mind the 'busy ness' of the background, with the shallow depth of field your drawn to the subject anyway. Nice work (y)

Thanks. I'm not overkeen on the background though - I might try a re shoot - or I might not - the music was to help camoflauge the background :D

I like your take on the theme, like composition of the image but I feel a softer clear white background would add to the image better. Still a good shot despite that.

I know, I used the music to block out as much background as I could, but couldn't really crop it much more - I sooooo NEED a studio ;)

Hi,

Line . superb cant fault it
Play. Nice image would have preferred to have the instrument in focus rather than the hand but thats just me :)

CRaig

Thanks Craig - I had some where there was more instrument in focus and all I could see was the blurry hand and ring :eek: Perhaps I should've closed the shutter down a bit more. A re-shoot is sounding more promising by the minute at the moment :LOL:

I think you went the right way with the clarity slider! The soft tones work really well. I don't mind the background at all as it's thrown out of focus. The inclusion of the music book also adds to the image too rather than the hand just held up in the air.

I think you went the right way with the clarity slider! The soft tones work really well. I don't mind the background at all as it's thrown out of focus. The inclusion of the music book also adds to the image too rather than the hand just held up in the air.

Thanks Adam - I think I do need to try this again with a larger DOF - then the music sheets will show a little clearer and the flute will be more in focus.

It work well Sarah, like the dof and the music just a small crit not so much the lines/stripes at the top:)

Me neither - but that's my windows :shrug: I've got lots of lovely light in the kitchen where I have lots of white(ish) walls I need flash :( I didn't feel that I could crop this any further though.

Back