Stevesc's 52 for 2017 - week 32, 33 & 34 added

Hi Steve, I like the overhead shot, it's an unusual angle, I wasn't sure what they were at first glance. But I'm a huge fan of black backgrounds so my favourite has to be #2.
Did you do an overhead on the black, I think it would work....but no shadows .....maybe not o_O

Last edited:
That made me smile Steve. When I first saw the image I thought it was a collection of globes, it's only when I got to my computer than I realised what it actually was.
I much prefer this overhead shot to the ones with the black background, perhaps because it made me look to see what it actually was.

week 1 looks like you had fun setting up for them images, I am just not sure which image is working the best for me at the moment. I kind of want to say 1 of the images with the black BG but I feel there is a better shot to be had with the dolls.
You're probably right about a better shot to be had but I was out of time, maybe one to revisit later in the year.

Song title - Lovely shot I like that the faces are in focus but you have the motion blurr in the feet and arms.
Order - Good set of photos for the theme I like the over head shot with its unusal POV and nice shadows best. but the other two are good too, I can't decide which I prefer of them.
Thanks, #1 has been more popular than I thought it would be.

Hi Steve, I like the overhead shot, it's an unusual angle, I wasn't sure what they were at first glance. But I'm a huge fan of black backgrounds so my favourite has to be #2.
Did you do an overhead on the black, I think it would work....but no shadows .....maybe not o_O
Thanks Susie, no I didn't do an overhead on black, should have given it a go.

(y)

That made me smile Steve. When I first saw the image I thought it was a collection of globes, it's only when I got to my computer than I realised what it actually was.
I much prefer this overhead shot to the ones with the black background, perhaps because it made me look to see what it actually was.

Thanks Tim, I had wondered if people would think they were globes as that's what they reminded me off when I first set them up like that...I hoped to get a bit more shadow to clearly show what they were but it seems to have gone down fairly well as it is.

I like the first, although I think from above they all need to be in focus as the shallow dof doesn't quite work, the front shots the first is better as the slightly larger doll has more detail to look at.

#3 for order for me, or alternatively the last one in focus.

I like the first, although I think from above they all need to be in focus as the shallow dof doesn't quite work, the front shots the first is better as the slightly larger doll has more detail to look at.
Thanks, I agree about the focus. Was limited by light to the aperture I could use but should have set up a tripod.

#3 for order for me, or alternatively the last one in focus.
Thanks, do you mean having the large one in focus at the back? For some reason I didn't think to try that.

Hi Steve, I like the overhead shot for ordered but like the thinking behind the other two shots thou but 1 is the better one for me.
Cheers Nigel.

The overhead shot for me didnt work but the other two just love the colour interesting takes:)
Thanks walter, I thought the overhead shot might not be a lot of peoples taste. I wasn't 100% sure about it myself but it has grown on me.

This might sound odd but there's something almost astronomical about these images, like planets that are in alignment. #1 just about edges it for me, because I like the order and uniformity of the shadows.

I'm curious, how did you manage to get such a black background?

This might sound odd but there's something almost astronomical about these images, like planets that are in alignment. #1 just about edges it for me, because I like the order and uniformity of the shadows.

I'm curious, how did you manage to get such a black background?

Thanks Dom. I can see what you mean about the planets in #1. For the blacks I shot it against black card and then edited it a bit to darken them completly.

Week 2 - "comfort"

Stuggled again with this one, had some ideas around food and drinks but didn't make the food and wanted natural light for the drink shots which is in a bit of short supply outside of work time at this time of year. Anyway, enough of the excuses :)

I shot this quickly before the kids bedtime tonight, thought the slippers and dressing gown gave the impression of comfort.

Comfort by Steve, on Flickr

Those look soft and comfy - well wrapped up. Could do with a set myself. Definitely Comfort.

I see what you've done Steve, and I like the shallow DoF and colours. I want more though! Almost feel like I've got half a portrait?

Nice comfy looking shot before bedtime, colours go together nicely :)
Those look soft and comfy - well wrapped up. Could do with a set myself. Definitely Comfort.
Thanks both of you, she is definitely warm and comfy in these.

I see what you've done Steve, and I like the shallow DoF and colours. I want more though! Almost feel like I've got half a portrait?
Thanks Ian, I didn't want to do a portrait, was trying to get something a bit different but it does feel a bit like I've chopped her head off. It's not one of my stronger shots but onto next week without being behind which is my main target at the moment.

:agree: ... maybe with her head down pulling on/up the slippers might have worked well.

Criticisms aside it says what it has to, on theme and onwards to next week

:agree: ... maybe with her head down pulling on/up the slippers might have worked well.
Might have done, it was a last minute shot so didn't have time to try much.

Criticisms aside it says what it has to, on theme and onwards to next week
(y), that was my thinking. Some weeks will hopefully be more inspired but at least I'm not behind already.

Everything about that says comfort. Nice picture.
Thanks.

She certainly does look comfy.
Like some others, I think I would have preferred not to have the crop where it is though, but do appreciate she may not want the publicity :)

Thanks Tim, she's already been in one shot this year and was in a couple last year. The crop was just a choice to try something different...obviously didn't work this time :)

That does look comfortable, very fluffy and focus on the hands works well in my opinion.

Colour one for me Steve, I know its not actually the subject matter, but it brings out the detail in the eye more :)

I don't like difficult choices and you have just given me one :banghead: one minute I think colour then the next B&W. I'l chicken out and say both are really good. (y)

I can understand the quandary but the colour gives something extra. Beautiful shot. I like the way the DoF softens the bridge of the nose to an extent where it becomes a subtle part of the bg. :clap:

:agree: the colour photo is very good, love the muted tones and shallow DoF.

Hi Steve! Just having a look back through your thread. I like the top-down shot of the dolls but the slippers for 'comfy' - it's nearly there although the crop is odd. I get what you were tryng to do but I'd have cropped it closer round the slippers.

Particularly the color version of the eye photo is stunning. The processing gives it an almost dreamlike quality. Bravo.

She definitely looks nice and comfy and ready for bed but I too would like to have seen the rest of her :)

The eye is beautiful, so simple. I think the colour adds to it too:)

Colour one for me Steve, I know its not actually the subject matter, but it brings out the detail in the eye more :)
Another for the colour, nice blue eye and the rest in mono, good focus too, the mono one does enhance the eye lashes nicely too (y)
Colour one is a cracker very nice indeed
Oooo yes, colour version for me Steve, a stunning image, love the processing :clap:
I don't like difficult choices and you have just given me one :banghead: one minute I think colour then the next B&W. I'l chicken out and say both are really good. (y)
I can understand the quandary but the colour gives something extra. Beautiful shot. I like the way the DoF softens the bridge of the nose to an extent where it becomes a subtle part of the bg. :clap:
:agree: the colour photo is very good, love the muted tones and shallow DoF.
She definitely looks nice and comfy and ready for bed but I too would like to have seen the rest of her :)

The eye is beautiful, so simple. I think the colour adds to it too:)

Thanks everyone, seems the colour one is the popular choice.

Hi Steve! Just having a look back through your thread. I like the top-down shot of the dolls but the slippers for 'comfy' - it's nearly there although the crop is odd. I get what you were tryng to do but I'd have cropped it closer round the slippers.

Particularly the color version of the eye photo is stunning. The processing gives it an almost dreamlike quality. Bravo.
Cheers Nick, I did consider a closer crop on the slippers but not sure it worked on it's own but you are right that I don't think the crop I went for quite works, maybe something to try again another time.

Hey I love them ...just couldn't get my grandson to sit still to get an open eye one ...they look so much nicer ..well done :clap:

Thanks Susie, I'm fortunate that my middle child is happy to get involved with helping me out at the moment (although not sure it will last the whole 52!), the other two aren't so keen.

The colour version for me. Great light, focus and DoF.

Same here, colour for me ... The eye is striking. Lovely image (y)

slight colour version .... Hey real nice job. Those lashes, or some of them, are pin sharp and - as Carl says - there are bits blending into the BG. (y)

Last edited:
Back