Stevesc's 52 for 2017 - week 32, 33 & 34 added

Colour for me too Steve. I like how it is almost mono, but the eye is an oasis of colour.
It must have felt strange deliberately going for a soft eye, with the focus on the lashes, whereas normally you would aim for the other way around.

Colour one for me too. Wish I could get Ayla to sit still so I could take a shot like this! It's really well done, nice blending of DOF on the eye lashes and where it's sharp, it's really sharp. I also like how everything else is slightly OOF but in a way that works for the image. Good for the theme too :)

Comfort - certainly fits the theme, the dressing gown and slippers do look like they are very comfy.

Hairy - two very good images and good composition, I have to say its the colour version for me. I think you have done well, with capturing the eyelash detail excellent work.

The colour version for me. Great light, focus and DoF.
Same here, colour for me ... The eye is striking. Lovely image (y)
slight colour version .... Hey real nice job. Those lashes, or some of them, are pin sharp and - as Carl says - there are bits blending into the BG. (y)
thats a really nice take on the theme. crisp and blurred, and i love the colour version a touch more than the mono. well done.
The colour eye for me - so soft and delicate and yet pin sharp where it's needed - very nice indeed :clap:
Colour one for me Steve, like the DOF and love how you've processed it.
Colour one for me too. Wish I could get Ayla to sit still so I could take a shot like this! It's really well done, nice blending of DOF on the eye lashes and where it's sharp, it's really sharp. I also like how everything else is slightly OOF but in a way that works for the image. Good for the theme too :)
Comfort - certainly fits the theme, the dressing gown and slippers do look like they are very comfy.

Hairy - two very good images and good composition, I have to say its the colour version for me. I think you have done well, with capturing the eyelash detail excellent work.

Colour for me too Steve. I like how it is almost mono, but the eye is an oasis of colour.
It must have felt strange deliberately going for a soft eye, with the focus on the lashes, whereas normally you would aim for the other way around.

Thanks everyone, seems the colour version is the overwhelming favourite.

Week 4 "Smooth"

It's our youngests birthday this weekend so have had lots on planning for a birthday party. So it's another indoor set up shot for this week, wasn't sure what to do but settled on trying to get a smooth curve for the theme. This was several sheets of paper stapled together, I'm not really happy with the piece of paper in the right hand corner but otherwise I was fairly happy with how it came out.

smooth curve by Steve, on Flickr

That`s nice. Lovely colours and cool dof (y)

Great idea, well captured. I agree with you about the top right but a nice abstract none the less

The left hand side is nice and smooth but the right side is rather sharp to the edges of the paper. If you took a photo a bit of a distance would the whole picture appeared smooth. Really nice colours though.(y)

It's very artsy, i like it. Nice pastel shades and smooth curves.

Great idea on the theme. I would love to know the setup for this. Did you flash backdrop etc.

Cheers

Kath

Delicately Smooth curves and beautiful subtle graduated intensity of the colours too. :clap:

Great idea and very well executed. I really like that.

That`s nice. Lovely colours and cool dof (y)
Great idea, well captured. I agree with you about the top right but a nice abstract none the less
Good take on theme, like the smooth bend in the card/paper and how the colour fades.
It's very artsy, i like it. Nice pastel shades and smooth curves.
Delicately Smooth curves and beautiful subtle graduated intensity of the colours too. :clap:
Good idea and very effective. At first I couldn't work out what it was.
Great idea and very well executed. I really like that.
Smooth - a nice abstract image, fits the theme, liking the pastel colours in the image.
Very good, nice form and colour I like it
My fave of the week Steve ...just my sort of shot, great colours ...I love it :clap:

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the comments and pleased it's gone down so well.

I like that. The contrasting colours work really well and the shape whilst abstract reminds me a little of the Sydney Opera House.
(y)

Thanks Tim, good thought on the Sydney Opera House, can see what you mean.

Great idea on the theme. I would love to know the setup for this. Did you flash backdrop etc.

Cheers

Kath

It was just set up at the kitchen table, had the camera on a tripod with a 50mm and some extension rings (can't remember what length, really should make a note of things like that). The paper was balanced on a cup and it was lit with light from a tablet. The tablet had an image on it with the two colours on (on on each end). I had the kitchen lights off and it was a reasonably long exposure so I could move the tablet to get light on top and underneath the paper.

The left hand side is nice and smooth but the right side is rather sharp to the edges of the paper. If you took a photo a bit of a distance would the whole picture appeared smooth. Really nice colours though.(y)

Thanks, I did take some with a much shallower DOF but only handheld and most were a bit too blurred, there was this one but I thought it a bit to abstract so didn't do much editing to it. It also didn't have the colours as I was just using the kitchen lights at the time.
smooth curve 002 edited by Steve, on Flickr

Thanks Steve for the info on how you did this .

Cheers
Kath

Really good Steve I like that it's really out of the box. The pastel colours are really nice and personally, the top right hand corner sheet doesn't bother me.

That is superb Steve - the colours are wonderful and the composition of the lines spot on. Thanks for the background info on the lighting - I was wondering how you'd managed to produce those colours...I need to get more creative with lighting I think!

Smooth reminds me of a Background/Screen saver type image, very gentle on the eye. (y)

Really good Steve I like that it's really out of the box. The pastel colours are really nice and personally, the top right hand corner sheet doesn't bother me.
Very eye-catching, great colour, good work. (y)
Oh Steve , that smooth image is excellent, such nice pastel tones and soft curves, worth printing and putting on your wall :thumbs
That is superb Steve - the colours are wonderful and the composition of the lines spot on. Thanks for the background info on the lighting - I was wondering how you'd managed to produce those colours...I need to get more creative with lighting I think!
Some lovely colour in pic works really well well thought out.
Smooth reminds me of a Background/Screen saver type image, very gentle on the eye. (y)
Love your smooth shot Steve, great colour, lighting and composition.
Great idea for smooth and like the colours too and great compo. (y)

Thanks everyone. :)

Week 5 "Mineral"

I have gone with salt for my mineral, was initially planning on just a macro of salt crystals but it was a bit boring so I have added some peppercorns (which I know aren't minerals) which also adds some size context to the salt crystals. Taken with a 50mm on a the smallest extension tube, lit with an off camera LED light, looking at it now I should have tried to reflect a little light back as the right hand side is a little dark.

salt n pepper by Steve, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've done salt 'n pepper shots before and always pleased with the result. What you've done here Steve is a mild stroke of genius ... adding those lovely peppercorns to your minerals exactly where they belong. Nice result, I enjoy looking at this. But, I think I'd prefer the 3 OOF FG peppercorns to be placed behind what I see as the focal point.

Lovely low POV and I like the moody lighting. I might have removed the 3 pepper corns on the FG as they obstruct the mineral.

Cheers.

^^what they said.

Great shot, well lit, just needs the front three put to the back of the class.....

Lighting is perfect to me.

:agree:, nice light on the salt which stands out well against the dark background.

I've done salt 'n pepper shots before and always pleased with the result. What you've done here Steve is a mild stroke of genius ... adding those lovely peppercorns to your minerals exactly where they belong. Nice result, I enjoy looking at this. But, I think I'd prefer the 3 OOF FG peppercorns to be placed behind what I see as the focal point.
Lovely low POV and I like the moody lighting. I might have removed the 3 pepper corns on the FG as they obstruct the mineral.

Cheers.
^^what they said.

Great shot, well lit, just needs the front three put to the back of the class.....

Lighting is perfect to me.
Great shot Steve, good lighting and focus on the Mineral with the pepper corns to help :)
Definitely a good idea to add the pepercorns Steve ...salt on its own can look a bit bland, tending to agree about the two at the front but even so its a great shot.
:agree:, nice light on the salt which stands out well against the dark background.

Cheers (y).

Thanks for the feedback on the OOF peppercorns at the front, seems like I'm in the minority but I actually quite liked them. I would maybe move the larger one to the left but I'm happy with the other two. I can see how it would work without them and should have taken a shot to see how it would have turned out.

Back