weekly Stevesc's 52 in 2016. Week 35 "Black and White" added

I really like the mono abandoned, great subject and fits the brief perfectly

Really liking the last abandoned.
DOF is a little narrow on the others for my taste.

I really like the mono abandoned, great subject and fits the brief perfectly
Really liking the last abandoned.
DOF is a little narrow on the others for my taste.
Happy - he he what a fun image - very nice - i personally prefer the cropped version

Abandoned, I like the first one being able to see into the shell and that it has been abandoned :)

Thanks for commenting, the very narrow DOF can be a bit of a marmite thing but it is something I like. It's good to challlenge myself to do something else though and nice to know what others thinks when I try something else.

Abandoned - a tough theme I thought, so well done for finding something, I think the last image stands out for me, shows the textures much better. The first image I find the shadows under the shell a little to harsh, I do like the second image but find my eye drawn to the wooden surface. Can't help but thinking that toning down the background would help make a difference, all in all a nice set of images.

Abandoned - a tough theme I thought, so well done for finding something, I think the last image stands out for me, shows the textures much better. The first image I find the shadows under the shell a little to harsh, I do like the second image but find my eye drawn to the wooden surface. Can't help but thinking that toning down the background would help make a difference, all in all a nice set of images.

Thanks, I was struggling for ideas a bit last week but I'm also struggling this week as well....get the feeling there may be a lot of weeks this year where I struggle for inspiration. The shadow under the shell annoys me as well, it was taken as a practice shot while I was looking for different viewpoints so wasn't worrying to much at the time about lighting (lesson learnt, should keep an eye on lighting all the time).

Week 6 - Camouflage

Think this one might be one I try on a reshoot week as I couldn't get the shot I had in my mind for this and didn't have the props to do the other ideas I had.

Camouflage by Steve, on Flickr

As allways any C & C welcome.

It took me a second or two to spot the first one, I'd say job done Steve (y)

Hi Steve, great idea for the camouflaged theme, Like the DoF

Nice idea and well presented. Barely made out the front counter. Like the DoF

It took me a second or two to spot the first one, I'd say job done Steve (y)
Brilliant, I almost missed the one at the front.
Really well done
Me too. I saw the ones at the back first too :clap: Nice one!
Hi Steve, great idea for the camouflaged theme, Like the DoF
Very nice Steve lovely DOF really adds to the camouflaged take
Nice idea and well presented. Barely made out the front counter. Like the DoF
Hi Steve ...I really like it and it works very well, I agree with Carl the DOF looks spot on, a very original idea for the theme too.

Thanks, I found it difficult getting the balance on the exposure right so that it could be seen but not obvious.

I completely missed the piece at the front until I read some comments! Nice shot good job :)

Abandoned - I like the b/w one but doesn't say abandoned as much as the other two
camouflage - I only spotted the one at the front because I read comments saying they had nearly missed it so went back and looked again so deffinately works for theme

Hi nice idea but perhaps a little dark would be my only crit

Thanks, I agree that it is a bit dark. I wanted it to be lighter but couldn't get the effect I was after so had to leave it at this for now. Might try a reshoot if I get the opportunity later.

Abandoned - I like the b/w one but doesn't say abandoned as much as the other two
camouflage - I only spotted the one at the front because I read comments saying they had nearly missed it so went back and looked again so deffinately works for theme

Thanks for the comments.

Week 7 - "Dangerous"

Half term this week so with kids around and work commitments I've not had much chance to shoot, Went to Beaver Water World this afternoon with the family and came across this guy. According to the information, to keep him as a pet you would need to have a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence. Thought that would be classed as dangerous enough for the theme.

Dangerous by Steve, on Flickr

Dangerous - definitely on theme I like the nice sharp detail of his markings and the shine in his eye. Presumably through glass good shot

Camouflage: great idea for the theme. Lighting spot on and just right. Like the smidge of rim light on the front piece

Dangerous: now who the hell would want to keep that as a pet?....... bet @Cobra would! Like the catchlight in the eye and teeth on display leaving us in no doubt this fellow is dangerous. Fair play for getting out with the kids - sure loads of us appreciate how hard achieving work/life balance can be

Dangerous - definitely on theme, great detail and sharpness.

Happy: Lovely photo. Really great idea and well-executed! Love that your whole family took part in the photo! I prefer the original to the closer crop. Can’t really say why, just looks better, maybe, like more artistic instead of just a picture of a bunch of fingers.

Abandoned: I like the B&W best because the shell stands out more (in #3, the lines on the tabletop seem to be competing for attention). And it looks like it could be taken outdoors with strong sunlight on it, and that somehow gives it more of an abandoned feel.

Camouflage: Nice one. It sure looks camouflaged and I like the dof.

Dangerous: Simply beautiful! You’ve got the eye so sharp it gleams, and the details and texture of the skin, wow. The tone of the whole photo is really lovely, too.

Dangerous - definitely on theme I like the nice sharp detail of his markings and the shine in his eye. Presumably through glass good shot
Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised how sharp it came out considering it was through glass.

Camouflage: great idea for the theme. Lighting spot on and just right. Like the smidge of rim light on the front piece

Dangerous: now who the hell would want to keep that as a pet?....... bet @Cobra would! Like the catchlight in the eye and teeth on display leaving us in no doubt this fellow is dangerous. Fair play for getting out with the kids - sure loads of us appreciate how hard achieving work/life balance can be
Thanks for the comments, the place we went is basically a rescue centre for abandoned/abused pets. This caiman was found living in basically a muddy puddle in a garage.

Dangerous - definitely on theme, great detail and sharpness.
Thanks

I'd like all the head in focus, but nice sharp eyes.

Yup, theme teeth are dangerous :)

Cheers.
I like it with the shallow DOF (know it's not to everyone's taste) but was limited by the lighting as well. I was already up to ISO 800 with a shutter speed of 1/50 so couldn't close the aperture much.

Dangerous - Love it. really nice capture.
Cheers

Happy: Lovely photo. Really great idea and well-executed! Love that your whole family took part in the photo! I prefer the original to the closer crop. Can’t really say why, just looks better, maybe, like more artistic instead of just a picture of a bunch of fingers.

Abandoned: I like the B&W best because the shell stands out more (in #3, the lines on the tabletop seem to be competing for attention). And it looks like it could be taken outdoors with strong sunlight on it, and that somehow gives it more of an abandoned feel.

Camouflage: Nice one. It sure looks camouflaged and I like the dof.

Dangerous: Simply beautiful! You’ve got the eye so sharp it gleams, and the details and texture of the skin, wow. The tone of the whole photo is really lovely, too.
Thanks for all the comments. I do like both Happy ones but think I agree with you one the first one just edging it.

Certainly looks dangerous, good details and focus.
Thanks

Fab camouflage idea really like that.
Dangerous is even faber ! I thought you would need a macro lens to get an image like that !

Gaz

Cracking looking Caiman Steve, loads of detail. Nicely captured (y)

Nicely taken Steve - love that glassy reflection in the eye. Spot on theme, nice crop.

Dangerous....Yep!! I definitely wouldn't want that hanging off the end of my finger!

Back