weekly susiejb 52 /2014 Support

Three beautiful shots Susie! Love the fantastic colours you've caught in #1 and the ultra sharpness of the shard in #3. I think #2 is a great image in its own right, but somehow doesn't get the idea of sharp across to me as well as the others. The red colour and swirly shapes somehow put me in mind of magma flowing from a volcano.

Thanks for looking Elaine and for the encouraging comments :) .....I liked so many of the shots that I took....it's fascinating how much detail can be captured in a simple piece of glass as in #2, it was hard to choose which ones to put on ... it's certainly something I'll go back to sometime, just for the pleasure of doing it.

My first thought for PURE was honey ...so I stuck with that thought and tried out a couple of different ideas.

I think I 've used a bit of artistic licence with the second one:)

14834514808_3602f5e9d5_b.jpg

15021138555_d37726c59d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Susie, the first one for me though i feel a closer crop might be better don't get me wrong I like a bit of open space but there is plenty of detail in the honey to get a little closer
plus the colour is excellent and a great Black BG :clap:
not sure about the light in the top left of the second one and a flower is not really a place I would expect honey to be dripping from

Hi Susie, the first one for me though i feel a closer crop might be better don't get me wrong I like a bit of open space but there is plenty of detail in the honey to get a little closer
plus the colour is excellent and a great Black BG :clap:
not sure about the light in the top left of the second one and a flower is not really a place I would expect honey to be dripping from

Hi Allan yes, I just looked again at that space on the first one and wondered if it was too much . My OH just said the same thing about the second one ... it's me and my rather strange ideas :wideyed: I kept adding the sunglow then taking it off ...I couldn't decide. I've enjoyed doing them and much appreciate that you took the time to look and comment....thank you :)

Hi Susie... a very novel take on the theme, and I have to say I love it.

Your first shot for me is about as close to perfect as it could be. Sure, the composition and crop could be tweaked, but that wouldn't change the fact that the simple image and the lighting are both so wonderful. The lighting, in particular, is absolutely perfect. Good detail and focus on the honey itself and the fade into the black, black background is wonderful. For me, this image gets an 11 out of 10. :clap:

The second one is interesting... bees make honey by harvesting pollen from flowers and it's quite possible the pollen from this sort of flower could have been used. So I get the connection. Had you been able to make a composite with a bee in flight in the frame as well, it would have been a fun and very "together" image. Without it, it requires a bit more thought. Also not sure about the leaf which is half cropped. The sunglow I'm not fussed either way - I don't find it distracting or massively additive - it's personal preference I guess.

But going back to shot 1, totally wonderful!

Hi Susie... a very novel take on the theme, and I have to say I love it.

Your first shot for me is about as close to perfect as it could be. Sure, the composition and crop could be tweaked, but that wouldn't change the fact that the simple image and the lighting are both so wonderful. The lighting, in particular, is absolutely perfect. Good detail and focus on the honey itself and the fade into the black, black background is wonderful. For me, this image gets an 11 out of 10. :clap:

The second one is interesting... bees make honey by harvesting pollen from flowers and it's quite possible the pollen from this sort of flower could have been used. So I get the connection. Had you been able to make a composite with a bee in flight in the frame as well, it would have been a fun and very "together" image. Without it, it requires a bit more thought. Also not sure about the leaf which is half cropped. The sunglow I'm not fussed either way - I don't find it distracting or massively additive - it's personal preference I guess.

But going back to shot 1, totally wonderful!

Well thank you Paul...you can come and comment on here again :) the first one was the idea I had in my head originally...the second shot was just a bit of messing about really. I did go into the garden and try to get a bee on the flower and did find one who seemed be very dozy but by the time I'd fetched my camera he had leapt into life and refused to stay still, but that is the flower he was on. I do have a bee pic in my Flickr ...if I get time this week I may try to join the two images together. I made a right mess with the honey ... good job I didn't take a photo of the sticky mess I had to clear up :)

Hi Susie, another two excellent images :clap: Great lighting,clean black bg (y)

I saw the connection straight away between the flower and honey, good idea :)

My choice though, has to be the first, good detail in the dripping honey, but like Alan, I did think it might benefit from a tighter crop, showing more detail and giving it a different composition :)

Hi Susie, another two excellent images :clap: Great lighting,clean black bg (y)

I saw the connection straight away between the flower and honey, good idea :)

My choice though, has to be the first, good detail in the dripping honey, but like Alan, I did think it might benefit from a tighter crop, showing more detail and giving it a different composition :)

Have given it a crop and yes I think it looks better

14844742780_9f93da91a5_b.jpg

Hi Susie :)

Sharp - I'm really liking these, all three are good for their own reasons as others have said, but for me I like the first/colour one, real nice bright colours the effect on the glass shard, the surface and the background is great - love it :clap:

Pure - First pure shot I have seen, and what a great idea, the flower shot is a good twist but I prefer the more simple first shot, super detail, a great background and just enough light on the golden honey, the crop/edit is spot on (y)

Hi, Sharp, we done for a different and unusual take. I can't decide between the culourful #1 or the somewhat dramatic #3. #3 looks lime a frog but I like the colours of #1...I'm off for #1 :)

Cheers.

Hi Susie

Pure....1st shot is an absolute corker that you improved with the different crop.....I love everything about it including the of so subtle frame. Needs framing & hanging , get it displayed in one of those upmarket farm shop places...simply perfect :clap::clap:

Not too keen on the sunset, seems a tad dark to me, but does look like a great sky with lovely colours and swoopy lines, quite abstract. BRILLIANT idea though, ;)

Love the first of the shards of glass, the rainbow colours and reflections work brilliantly.

and the honey for pure is up there with one of the best of the year (from anyone) :clap: The lighting and colour are superb, love the closer crop but on screen the tall thinness seems a bit too tall and thin, printed it could well work though. And I think it should be!

Hi Susie

Pure....1st shot is an absolute corker that you improved with the different crop.....I love everything about it including the of so subtle frame. Needs framing & hanging , get it displayed in one of those upmarket farm shop places...simply perfect :clap::clap:

Thank you so much Lynne ... I really appreciate your comment ....I might even try that :)

Not too keen on the sunset, seems a tad dark to me, but does look like a great sky with lovely colours and swoopy lines, quite abstract. BRILLIANT idea though, ;)

Love the first of the shards of glass, the rainbow colours and reflections work brilliantly.

and the honey for pure is up there with one of the best of the year (from anyone) :clap: The lighting and colour are superb, love the closer crop but on screen the tall thinness seems a bit too tall and thin, printed it could well work though. And I think it should be!

Wow Graham ...that is such a complement ...thank you very much ...I really do appreciate it :)

Couple of stonkers. :clap:

I'm most interested in the second one ... naughty, reckless, sexy ... and that soft light from top left: excellent.

Catch up time........

Loud - Looks a fun shot both for the children as well as yourself. Nice eye connection between the two. A cleaner background would have improved the shot but it brings a less staged feel to it

Rich - Nice idea. I bet they loved this when you showed it to them.

Skill - Not sure about the connection to the theme but as a photograph I do like it. The colours really attract the eye and it even has depth to it

Half - Another nice nature shot. I wonder if it could be improved by having the flower/stalk on more of a diagonal. Nice oof background as well

Architecture - Nice image with some lovely dew drops and super light. One minor crit would be to clone out the purple colour towards the bottom left

Promise - Nice colours in the sky. maybe a tad too much sky. Losing a touch off the top might give a tighter image without losing too much of the lovely colour

Sharp - #1 stands out as the best of these. The range of wonderfully saturated colours is spot on.

Pure - Another couple of nice images. I especially like the first one. You've captured a lovely golden glow of the honey. I agree that the edit improves it

Catch up time........

Loud - Looks a fun shot both for the children as well as yourself. Nice eye connection between the two. A cleaner background would have improved the shot but it brings a less staged feel to it

Rich - Nice idea. I bet they loved this when you showed it to them.

Skill - Not sure about the connection to the theme but as a photograph I do like it. The colours really attract the eye and it even has depth to it

Half - Another nice nature shot. I wonder if it could be improved by having the flower/stalk on more of a diagonal. Nice oof background as well

Architecture - Nice image with some lovely dew drops and super light. One minor crit would be to clone out the purple colour towards the bottom left

Promise - Nice colours in the sky. maybe a tad too much sky. Losing a touch off the top might give a tighter image without losing too much of the lovely colour

Sharp - #1 stands out as the best of these. The range of wonderfully saturated colours is spot on.

Pure - Another couple of nice images. I especially like the first one. You've captured a lovely golden glow of the honey. I agree that the edit improves it

Thank you Peter for taking so much time going back through all those submissions, and for those much appreciated comments.

Hi Susie

Sharp - 3 very god images - all has been said by others. If I had to choose , probably #1
Pure - #1 is beautiful. Lovely lighting, focus, comp, and b/g. Subtle colours but has impact nonetheless. :clap: I prefer the original over the edit
#2 - is a very good shot and altogether well handled. Had I not seen #1 I wold not have linked it ti the theme tho. Just my mind :thinking:

Hi Susie

Sharp - 3 very god images - all has been said by others. If I had to choose , probably #1
Pure - #1 is beautiful. Lovely lighting, focus, comp, and b/g. Subtle colours but has impact nonetheless. :clap: I prefer the original over the edit
#2 - is a very good shot and altogether well handled. Had I not seen #1 I wold not have linked it ti the theme tho. Just my mind :thinking:

Hi Alan ...thank you for looking ... Yes number two was a bit abstract wasn't it :) but I do love fiddling around in PP and trying out all the different effects until I get one that I like.

SPARKLE taken at the Falmouth Tall Ships Parade of Sail on Sunday, I have another idea but didn't quite get it right so I'll give it another try later in the week if I get the time.

:eek: I've left a tiny black mark at the bottom...I was sure I cloned it out :(

15106450741_5f58d458b4_o.jpg

Last edited:
Susie... what a cracker for this nightmare theme! You've done really well to capture the sparkle on the water without suffering from the problems I created for myself when I tried something along similar lines. The boats are well positioned and balanced for me... yes, they could be spaced a little more vertically, perhaps, but that's minor - they were where they were and you couldn't really move them!

I also really like the monotone pale blue of the water and sea... very calming. A great take! (y)

Hi Susie, very sparkly water indeed, boats add some interest to it just a pity about the two boats at the front overlapping but thats a small niggle,
nice pic for what everyone seems to agree is a terrible theme (y)

Well done Susie, you're another who really manages to make these difficult themes look effortless.

That water couldn't be more sparkly, the strip of simple sky at the top is lovely with the boats breaking up the expanse of water nicely.

Is the (very slight) vignette added or natural from the lens? Think I'd possibly rather it without for a shot like this.

Susie... what a cracker for this nightmare theme! You've done really well to capture the sparkle on the water without suffering from the problems I created for myself when I tried something along similar lines. The boats are well positioned and balanced for me... yes, they could be spaced a little more vertically, perhaps, but that's minor - they were where they were and you couldn't really move them!

I also really like the monotone pale blue of the water and sea... very calming. A great take! (y)

Hi Paul...thank you ...it was a stroke of luck that I was at the Tall Ships on Sunday ...it just fitted in nicely with the theme :) To be honest I was shooting into the sun and couldn't see a thing, so the position of the boats was partly guesswork.

I put one of the Tall Ships on this thread TP Day 2014 Photo Sharing Thread

Last edited:
Hi Susie, very sparkly water indeed, boats add some interest to it just a pity about the two boats at the front overlapping but thats a small niggle,
nice pic for what everyone seems to agree is a terrible theme (y)

Hi Allan...just mentioned to Paul above...it was difficult to judge the boats as I needed to be shooting straight into the sun to get the really sparkly water. I haven't minded this theme...I have another idea but I haven't perfected it yet !

Well done Susie, you're another who really manages to make these difficult themes look effortless.

That water couldn't be more sparkly, the strip of simple sky at the top is lovely with the boats breaking up the expanse of water nicely.

Is the (very slight) vignette added or natural from the lens? Think I'd possibly rather it without for a shot like this.

Thanks Graham....I don't mind this theme...I have had a few ideas ...I took one of a slug today exuding really sparkly slime ....but I thought perhaps not :rolleyes:

I added a slight Lomo effect ...just a touch, about 10% but it did darken the edges slightly...I hoped no one would notice :) I felt it just gave it a slight lift from looking a bit flat.

Definitely hits the sparkle theme. Positioning of the boats has been mentioned but that isn't under your control. I can't decide whether too crop out the sky. I think both work though.

I did say I liked the subject Sparkle so I'm adding a couple more to my thread....I think these fit the theme okay. Since I did my original raindrop on here I've been looking for an opportunity to try and do one with multiple images...the first time I set it all up in the house, but this time I just went into the garden and took these on a spiders web...I used a 45-150 lens with a Raynox 250 macro so the focusing was very tight, so it's not perfect. The second one...the sun just caught the web and it literally glowed, so I couldn't resist adding that one too :)

15116844446_56931d745b_b.jpg
[/url]

14953166349_8e84bd2c21_b.jpg

Hi Susie, the sea and boats is very nice, you've caught the sparkles on the water perfect :clap: I could just see miself sat on the cliff tops, warm sunshine, watching the boats sail by, lovely (y):)

Hi Susie - you've captured the theme brilliantly yet again. The only problem you now have is we're going to be expecting commercial standards every time after your magnificent honey photo!

I just love your web & water droplets photo as an idea and I really like the colouring of the background behind (assuming its some sort of foliage?)... the only slight issue I have is that it appears to be slightly OOF; especially noticeable on the water droplets. Being honest, I reckon you could pop it through PS's Smart Sharpen filter (set to lens blur) and recover it because it's not so far out (except for the bottom-most droplets). Not sure what aperture size you used, but even taking it all the way down to f/32 (especially with the Raynox on the lens) and making sure the web is completely parallel to the lens front might help with a reshoot?

The second web & water one is very interesting as there's a lot of unknown elements which keep you looking and guessing. But overall it's not as compelling as the one above.

Right, now I want to get out there and try it!

Hi Susie, the sea and boats is very nice, you've caught the sparkles on the water perfect :clap: I could just see miself sat on the cliff tops, warm sunshine, watching the boats sail by, lovely (y):)

Hi, sparkle #1 for me. The blue has a real summer feel to it.

Cheers.

Thanks both...I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time for the theme :)

2nd pure shot is a cracker Susie, it works really well!
Sparkle, the boats I really like. The rain drops are nice too, it reminded me of when we had an abstract theme a couple of years ago

Thanks for looking in Michael...much appreciated, that's an interesting shot on the link...I really like abstract, although I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. It would be great if that came out of the bag again one week.

Hi Susie - you've captured the theme brilliantly yet again. The only problem you now have is we're going to be expecting commercial standards every time after your magnificent honey photo!

I just love your web & water droplets photo as an idea and I really like the colouring of the background behind (assuming its some sort of foliage?)... the only slight issue I have is that it appears to be slightly OOF; especially noticeable on the water droplets. Being honest, I reckon you could pop it through PS's Smart Sharpen filter (set to lens blur) and recover it because it's not so far out (except for the bottom-most droplets). Not sure what aperture size you used, but even taking it all the way down to f/32 (especially with the Raynox on the lens) and making sure the web is completely parallel to the lens front might help with a reshoot?

The second web & water one is very interesting as there's a lot of unknown elements which keep you looking and guessing. But overall it's not as compelling as the one above.

Right, now I want to get out there and try it!

Thanks Paul....rest assured ...anything that turns out well is more by luck than judgement....with very little technical knowledge my main asset is that I have oodles of patience :)

Re the raindrops...I don't have PS...I did try another sharpening tool, but I felt it made them worse not better, so I just tweaked the contrast /brightness slightly. It's incredibly difficult, in fact it's probably impossible without layering to get them all in focus...each drop is only as big as a tiny pinhead so to contain the image in each one you need to really get in close. I 'm more than willing to stand corrected on that one...but I have tried hundreds of shots and for me it is a struggle. Do try it ...if there's no rain just spray your web with some water...it's very compelling...I'll probably not be able to resist having another go today, I'll probably try my 150 Raynox that may help with the focusing.

Looking forward to seeing yours...I bet they will be brilliant :)

You may be interested in looking at this one...my sparkly lupin Some Abstracts..feel free to add yours!

Last edited:
Back