weekly susiejb 52 /2014 Support

Hey Susie :)

Smooth - Very nice indeed, really like the colour you have chosen for this, I'm liking the textures and light on the back of the paper, and the curved ribbed looking front contrasts with the smooth back really well (y)

Attached - Got to be the first one for me, a really good depth of field, the light coming in from the top LH make it feel magical, again super detail too :)

Energy - A nice unusual one for the theme, I'd prefer a wider crop maybe just below the breaking wave, a nice capture of a brave soul !!!

A good few images again there Susie :clap:

Attached ...managed to dash out and get a few shots of fungi this morning.

Hi Susie, long time...

Attached: If that's the result of a "dash out" shot then that's superb. They are fantastic shots, both of them - such detail and to colour too.

Energy: good idea for the theme, the energy in those waves vs a man is well portrayed in the framing here, which suits the title too. Was it shot early in the morning?

Attached - just love them shrooms, nice tones and colours in them and bang on for the theme.

Energy - another lovely take for the theme, I think that chap is certainly braver than I could be. The sea does look wild indeed, and I suspect cold looking. I think the only niggle I have with the image is the guy looks a little on the small side, he looks a bit lost in all that sea. I think it would of had the edge if we was a little bit closer to the chap.

that's cool susie, really good interpretation of the theme. I wouldn;t crop it at all, I think having the space around shows the isolation, and the person gives it scale.

Great crashing waves too, with the filled with wind feel of the kite and the spray being kicked up behind.

'tis a bit on the dark side for me.... Do you ever use the histogram? (You might get one on the back of the camera in playback mode, or most editing / picture viewing packagaes have them). Below is the one for this shot.....

OztDWJZ.jpg

Simply it shows the distribution of tones (from dark on the left, to bright on the right. As there is a fair bit of white in this image, I'd probably expect the (right hand end of the) graph to be more towards the right side of the range.

An image with a lot of black or shadow areas, will be more skewed to the left side.

It's not a definitve indication of anything, but is useful as a guide. :)

Thanks Graham ...glad you like the shot ... there are often lots of windsurfers on there, I think I'll do some more another time.

Thanks you for the histogram info ...much appreciated, and yes my camera does have one ...next year I really must pay more attention to the technical side of my camera ...I know these are very basic things that I should know.

Hi Susie, long time...

Attached: If that's the result of a "dash out" shot then that's superb. They are fantastic shots, both of them - such detail and to colour too.

Energy: good idea for the theme, the energy in those waves vs a man is well portrayed in the framing here, which suits the title too. Was it shot early in the morning?

Hi Simon ... thank you for hopping in :) glad you liked the shots ....the windsurfing one was in the afternoon, the sun kept disappearing behind the clouds and I had to be really quick because of the Traffic Warden hovering !

Attached - just love them shrooms, nice tones and colours in them and bang on for the theme.

Energy - another lovely take for the theme, I think that chap is certainly braver than I could be. The sea does look wild indeed, and I suspect cold looking. I think the only niggle I have with the image is the guy looks a little on the small side, he looks a bit lost in all that sea. I think it would of had the edge if we was a little bit closer to the chap.

Thanks Mandy ...mushrooms are a great subject aren't they.

I couldn't believe how brave that kitesurfer was ...I keep calling him a windsurfer o_O he was literally lifted in the air and blown across the waves. My lens wouldn't go any closer as I had to stand high up on the clifftop to take it.

Smooth - Very nice indeed, really like the colour you have chosen for this, I'm liking the textures and light on the back of the paper, and the curved ribbed looking front contrasts with the smooth back really well (y)

Attached - Got to be the first one for me, a really good depth of field, the light coming in from the top LH make it feel magical, again super detail too :)

Energy - A nice unusual one for the theme, I'd prefer a wider crop maybe just below the breaking wave, a nice capture of a brave soul !!!

A good few images again there Susie :clap:

Hi DK :) thanks for looking in and for the positive encouraging comments .... very much appreciated.

Smooth - Good abstract image with a bold choice of colour

Attached - I'd go for #2. Quite interesting lighting and PP but I feel it works as it's away from the usual fungi shot

Energy - I'm into kites big time although never tried kitesurfing. I do feel the overall image could do with a little extra exposure to boost things somewhat. Forgive the pun but I like the splash of colour which is positioned nicely in the image.

Smooth - Good abstract image with a bold choice of colour

Attached - I'd go for #2. Quite interesting lighting and PP but I feel it works as it's away from the usual fungi shot

Energy - I'm into kites big time although never tried kitesurfing. I do feel the overall image could do with a little extra exposure to boost things somewhat. Forgive the pun but I like the splash of colour which is positioned nicely in the image.

Hi Peter ...thanks for looking in and for the comments ... much appreciated :) I remember your interest in kites from early on in the challenge ...I've never tried a photo like this before, but can see how interesting it can be.

I'm in a slight quandary this week ...time is not on my side and much as I want to do a really nice Christmassy one I think I shall have to reach for the crowbar and put this on instead. I watched this seagull for ages, he was determined to find 'a way round' getting the food off bird table, he made several dive-bombing attempts and eventually succeeded.
This is the first time I've take a bird in motion ... nowhere near perfect I know ... but I do like it, I shall definitely try some more.

15996499241_b0ddd6cf0b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Susie, crowbar or not, with your explanation I feel it fits, you have captured the seagull perfectly, focus on the eye looks good and just enough motion blur in the wings
slightly blown whites on him/her losing a little detail in the tail feathers, for a first attempt thats really good (y)

Hi Susie,
Attached - I do like shots of fungi but have never taken one anywhere near as god as you. Nice light in both of them. I prefer #1 for the theme because it shows the
area attached clearly but #2 is a better photo imo. some lovely detail in the fungi. prob crop just a smidge off bottom to get rid of that funny oof coloured bit.

Energy - Just a slight crop off the bottom for me and a bit brighter - otherwise a good shot of the vastness of the sea against the small man and kite. Energy exudes form the shot.

(re your tussle with the parking man - announced today that Councils made £667m in profit in 2013/14 on cp charges - so no wonder they go to these paces in the worst of weather)

(Way) Round - good attempt - like the way that you have captured the wings and focus on the eye. Agee with Allan @alsjazzera re tail.
Haven't used this in a long while but you deserve it :)
DSC_6398 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm more than happy for the link to the theme to be relaxed if it means you can get in a shot like that. :)

The white stands out beautifully against the darker background and the bird is plenty sharp with motion blur in the wing tips. You can feel his concentration on his goal there with the eyes on the target.

Done well not to clip any of the table either. :clap:

Hi Susie

Round.....the eye & beak look sharp enough , bit of motion in the wings & he stands out well against the dark bg.....who care's about the shoe horn :D(y)

Energy......cracking POV there Susie (y) I'd also have cropped a sliver from the bottom ( not much) , brightness looks ok on my screen ,still a tad dark but I think that suits the image :clap:

Attached.....gotta love a Fungi shot , 2nd for me , lovely POV , good tones & just a hint of detail on the rim of the cap (y)

Superb shot Susie, very well captured, good detail on its head, good motion blur in the wings (y) .......:thinking:.........I might have been tempted to clone out the bird sh........poo though :D

Hi Susie, crowbar or not, with your explanation I feel it fits, you have captured the seagull perfectly, focus on the eye looks good and just enough motion blur in the wings
slightly blown whites on him/her losing a little detail in the tail feathers, for a first attempt thats really good (y)

Thanks Allan ....glad you liked it, I felt a bit hesitant putting it on but just didn't have time to do anything else.

Hi Susie,
Attached - I do like shots of fungi but have never taken one anywhere near as god as you. Nice light in both of them. I prefer #1 for the theme because it shows the
area attached clearly but #2 is a better photo imo. some lovely detail in the fungi. prob crop just a smidge off bottom to get rid of that funny oof coloured bit.

Energy - Just a slight crop off the bottom for me and a bit brighter - otherwise a good shot of the vastness of the sea against the small man and kite. Energy exudes form the shot.

(re your tussle with the parking man - announced today that Councils made £667m in profit in 2013/14 on cp charges - so no wonder they go to these paces in the worst of weather)

(Way) Round - good attempt - like the way that you have captured the wings and focus on the eye. Agee with Allan @alsjazzera re tail.
Haven't used this in a long while but you deserve it :)
DSC_6398 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Thank you for the gift Alan:D

.....and for the other encouraging comments too :)

I'm more than happy for the link to the theme to be relaxed if it means you can get in a shot like that. :)

The white stands out beautifully against the darker background and the bird is plenty sharp with motion blur in the wing tips. You can feel his concentration on his goal there with the eyes on the target.

Done well not to clip any of the table either. :clap:

Thanks Graham .... I got some really good ones with his head right on the bird table but it lost some definition in the wings.

Hi Susie

Round.....the eye & beak look sharp enough , bit of motion in the wings & he stands out well against the dark bg.....who care's about the shoe horn :D(y)

Energy......cracking POV there Susie (y) I'd also have cropped a sliver from the bottom ( not much) , brightness looks ok on my screen ,still a tad dark but I think that suits the image :clap:

Attached.....gotta love a Fungi shot , 2nd for me , lovely POV , good tones & just a hint of detail on the rim of the cap (y)

Thanks for hopping in Lynne and for the comments ..... very much appreciated :)

Superb shot Susie, very well captured, good detail on its head, good motion blur in the wings (y) .......:thinking:.........I might have been tempted to clone out the bird sh........poo though :D

Thanks Phil, yes I should have cleaned up the poo :)...I can't say the seagulls are over welcome when they leave a great big 'splat' on the car or the windows.

Round - Well what can I say... a very good capture, with your comment not too much of a shoe-horn, a good moment you have caught here, just enough movement to still show some detail in the wings but a good sense of movement, great detail in the head :)

Round ... yes maybe a teeny little shoehorn ;)

That's excellent susie (y) we get lots of pigeons here in London but I'm now wishing they were seagulls as they're much more interesting.

A definite crowbar on this one. A decent capture of the bird in flight though. A shallower DoF may have helped throw the busy background out of focus but to be fair that would have just made the shot more difficult as I'm sure you didn't have much planning time.

Round - Well what can I say... a very good capture, with your comment not too much of a shoe-horn, a good moment you have caught here, just enough movement to still show some detail in the wings but a good sense of movement, great detail in the head :)

Round ... yes maybe a teeny little shoehorn ;)

That's excellent susie (y) we get lots of pigeons here in London but I'm now wishing they were seagulls as they're much more interesting.

A definite crowbar on this one. A decent capture of the bird in flight though. A shallower DoF may have helped throw the busy background out of focus but to be fair that would have just made the shot more difficult as I'm sure you didn't have much planning time.

Thanks very much for the comments folks ...it was really nice to try something completely new.

Hi Susie:

First: Love the fact you've chosen a South African wine in support of my home country :)...lol. As others have said, lighting needs some attention and perhaps having the wine label nice and horizontal? Really like the highlights around the wine glass base.

Smooth: oh yeah...like that alot! beautiful conversion and like how the curve enters and exits the frame. You're good at creating abstract images....something you should definitely pursue more of I think (y).....oh and green is my fav colour so full marks for that :)

Attached:
Number 2 for me. Like the starburst you've added and the shallow DOF...find this helps me just focus on the shapes and patterns rather than finer details. Cant help but thinking though that it looks like the middle shroom has applied her eyelash extensions the wrong way round :D

Energy: Not just harnessing the energy but expending energy....that guy must have core muscles of steel to do that! Think you've captured the moment well and this picture cleary shows us the tiny size of this kite surfer relative to the big angry sea...like too what looks like a glimmer of light towards the bottom right corner. some great advise there too from @overbez regarding histograms.

Round: Great picture! Shows well the size of that guy relative to your teeny tiny bird table. Movement in the wings is great and the angle of them pointing top left is spot on....Enjoyed looking at the background planting too - bet that garden has a mad frenzied bursting into life come spring.

Nonsense: That is such a cool idea !!!...love how you've applied a colourful christmas theme and used crackers with jokes that only the kids appreciate - proves the point that us adults take ourselves to seriously :(

Keep up the good work Susie and hope you have a good Christmas and New Year (y)

Hi Susie, good colourful,fun, christmassy image for the theme (y) very busy which is only a good thing for 'nonsense' :)

.......but the jokes are good, nothing nonsense about them :p :LOL:

Hi Susie, sorry not to have dropped into your thread for a bit... hectic work in the run-up to Christmas but we're nearly there!

Round - don't mind it being a shoehorn (which it is a bit, but so what?) as it's simply a great shot. Hats off to you - I've never even attempted a BIF shot (well, except the metal variety) so can only imagine how difficult it is to nail focus, get the exposure spot on AND the composition right. Never mind the fact you also need decent light... sounds like a nightmare and I think you've got almost everything right in your shot. Composition, especially, is superb - I really like the fact you've managed to get the birdtable in, but not lost that "close up" look at the gull.

I don't mind the busy background as it's very dark, which therefore (for me) pushes it into the background against the bright white gull. The only difficulty is the bird table is a similar range of tones to the background, so suffers a bit from falling out of the foreground when I look at it, but that's probably my problem rather than yours! Really nice shot :)

Nonsense - what a super idea! I like the frame-filling composition and the colours are great (reds really jump out, in a good way). I wonder whether more or less DOF might work better: by which I mean a tiny aperture to get everything razor sharp, or a more pronounced fall-off in focus at the front & back? And a tiny question: shouldn't one of the answers be "Ghoulash"?? ;) But overall, it's a brilliantly on-theme idea, very seasonal and jolly and basically a good shot... well done! (y)

Made a hard theme look easy there.

Nice and festive, good amount of gags in there for interest, we've heard them all before but that didn't make them less funny. :LOL: like that not all of every joke is clearly visible and we have to full in the gaps.

Hi Susie, good take on the theme plenty of nonsense jokes and perfect for the time of year :clap:

Yep nice colourful bit of Christmas chaos. Excellent idea for the theme Susie. (y)

Hi Susie:

First: Love the fact you've chosen a South African wine in support of my home country :)...lol. As others have said, lighting needs some attention and perhaps having the wine label nice and horizontal? Really like the highlights around the wine glass base.

Smooth: oh yeah...like that alot! beautiful conversion and like how the curve enters and exits the frame. You're good at creating abstract images....something you should definitely pursue more of I think (y).....oh and green is my fav colour so full marks for that :)

Attached:
Number 2 for me. Like the starburst you've added and the shallow DOF...find this helps me just focus on the shapes and patterns rather than finer details. Cant help but thinking though that it looks like the middle shroom has applied her eyelash extensions the wrong way round :D

Energy: Not just harnessing the energy but expending energy....that guy must have core muscles of steel to do that! Think you've captured the moment well and this picture cleary shows us the tiny size of this kite surfer relative to the big angry sea...like too what looks like a glimmer of light towards the bottom right corner. some great advise there too from @overbez regarding histograms.

Round: Great picture! Shows well the size of that guy relative to your teeny tiny bird table. Movement in the wings is great and the angle of them pointing top left is spot on....Enjoyed looking at the background planting too - bet that garden has a mad frenzied bursting into life come spring.

Nonsense: That is such a cool idea !!!...love how you've applied a colourful christmas theme and used crackers with jokes that only the kids appreciate - proves the point that us adults take ourselves to seriously :(

Keep up the good work Susie and hope you have a good Christmas and New Year (y)

Thank you Jason for taking so much time with your comments I really appreciate the encouragement :) A very happy Christmas to you and yours too.

Hi Susie, good colourful,fun, christmassy image for the theme (y) very busy which is only a good thing for 'nonsense' :)

.......but the jokes are good, nothing nonsense about them :p :LOL:

Hi Susie, sorry not to have dropped into your thread for a bit... hectic work in the run-up to Christmas but we're nearly there!

Round - don't mind it being a shoehorn (which it is a bit, but so what?) as it's simply a great shot. Hats off to you - I've never even attempted a BIF shot (well, except the metal variety) so can only imagine how difficult it is to nail focus, get the exposure spot on AND the composition right. Never mind the fact you also need decent light... sounds like a nightmare and I think you've got almost everything right in your shot. Composition, especially, is superb - I really like the fact you've managed to get the birdtable in, but not lost that "close up" look at the gull.

I don't mind the busy background as it's very dark, which therefore (for me) pushes it into the background against the bright white gull. The only difficulty is the bird table is a similar range of tones to the background, so suffers a bit from falling out of the foreground when I look at it, but that's probably my problem rather than yours! Really nice shot :)

Nonsense - what a super idea! I like the frame-filling composition and the colours are great (reds really jump out, in a good way). I wonder whether more or less DOF might work better: by which I mean a tiny aperture to get everything razor sharp, or a more pronounced fall-off in focus at the front & back? And a tiny question: shouldn't one of the answers be "Ghoulash"?? ;) But overall, it's a brilliantly on-theme idea, very seasonal and jolly and basically a good shot... well done! (y)

Nonsense, nice, vivid colours and easonal take there Susie and I like it. Thought @Phil-D would like the jokes, I'm sure he'll be reciting them at the TP meet this Sunday ;)

Cheers.

Made a hard theme look easy there.

Nice and festive, good amount of gags in there for interest, we've heard them all before but that didn't make them less funny. :LOL: like that not all of every joke is clearly visible and we have to full in the gaps.

Hi Susie, good take on the theme plenty of nonsense jokes and perfect for the time of year :clap:

Yep nice colourful bit of Christmas chaos. Excellent idea for the theme Susie. (y)

Thanks guys .... I'm really pleased you liked them .... it was a bit of a hasty scrabble together to get the theme in before the new one is up.
Glad you like the jokes @Phil-D :)
Gouglash :) @pjm1 .... that's what you get for buying them in the Poundshop :D

smiley-eatdrink026.gif
:D

Excellent Susie, lightings great,good detail, reflection of the Ferrero Rocher (how posh are you :p) in the chrome round the bottom of the glass is a nice touch and composition with the fire in the bg is great (y)

Back