Talk photography on Google maps

added myself Glenrothes Scotland, anybody else in the area fancy meeting, phototrip, photoshoots, photoideas?

Added! Though there is nobody within 20 miles of me :( lol

Been trying a few times, and just can't seem to see anyone/add myself

I cant see anyone on the map either

I do not see anyone either...do you have to be registered to see other peoples location :shrug:

just registered and made no difference, no option to place my location and cannot see anybody eles location

Last edited:
I've updated the link in the first post :)

Theres 2 maps Paul I'll add the google one to a post http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=344362

Dave

I can't think of any sensible reason for there to be two maps on the go at once. What is the point in having two places to keep maintained with accurate data? So some people use one map while other use the other, and maybe some update both (if they know both exist). How bonkers is that!?

For the sake of common sense could we please pick one map and stick to it. We have a stickied thread in the Meetings forum and it now has the correct link in the first post. Isn't that enough?

I can't think of any sensible reason for there to be two maps on the go at once. What is the point in having two places to keep maintained with accurate data? So some people use one map while other use the other, and maybe some update both (if they know both exist). How bonkers is that!?

For the sake of common sense could we please pick one map and stick to it. We have a stickied thread in the Meetings forum and it now has the correct link in the first post. Isn't that enough?

Lo Tim

dont blame me mate, dont know which came first but both are well populated, agree though we should just have one both ar stickied the ZEEMap is stickied in the welcome forum

Dave

Not blaming anyone, just pointing out that actively directing people to an alternative reference isn't necessarily helpful. :D

Also, I don't know about most people here, but I don't hang out in the Welcome forum, whereas I visit the Meeting forum daily. Furthermore, the sticky in the welcome forum was only added yesterday. It isn't exactly well established. The one in the Meetings forum has been there for yonks. No problem to have a sticky in the Welcome forum too, but why not at least make sure it point to the same map rather than a different one?

In fact, wouldn't it be even better if both stickies were identical (or that there was only a detailed sticky in the Meetings forum and the Welcome forum sticky simply linked to it) and gave simple instructions and were not allowed to turn into lengthy, rambling discussions? Just a thought. :D

BTW, having spent many years working in IT and data design it's exactly this kind of data duplication and redundancy that does my head in. It's just wrong.

Last edited:
Not blaming anyone, just pointing out that actively directing people to an alternative reference isn't necessarily helpful. :D

Also, I don't know about most people here, but I don't hang out in the Welcome forum, whereas I visit the Meeting forum daily. Furthermore, the sticky in the welcome forum was only added yesterday. It isn't exactly well established. The one in the Meetings forum has been there for yonks. No problem to have a sticky in the Welcome forum too, but why not at least make sure it point to the same map rather than a different one?

In fact, wouldn't it be even better if both stickies were identical (or that there was only a detailed sticky in the Meetings forum and the Welcome forum sticky simply linked to it) and gave simple instructions and were not allowed to turn into lengthy, rambling discussions? Just a thought. :D

BTW, having spent many years working in IT and data design it's exactly this kind of data duplication and redundancy that does my head in. It's just wrong.

Long week? ;)

Hi Tim

That was a joke about blaming me Tim not serious ;)

I was pointing it out as theres 2 maps not just one,

maybe you have seen the zeemap first, would you have the same opinion now, of the google map duplicating

zeemap was started by Brocks on 22-02-2008, google map was Created on Jul 15, 2009 · By mid, both seem equally populated,

BTW Tim your on the zeemap (217) and google map, Aye talk about data duplication :D :LOL: it does my head in also. It's just wrong :D :LOL:

6053226334_24df31eecb_b.jpg

6053274872_033bb6e75c_z.jpg

I agree one map would be better, but the fact is that members have their names on the zeemap as well.

I know it was only stickied yesterday in the welcome forum, but zeemaps been around a lot longer.

It would be better to have one sticky thats the same, but which map do you choose, :shrug:

Who gave lengthy instructions, I just gave the password and how to add yourself on zeemap,

Wonder if somehow they could be merged together

Dave

Last edited:
I've added me, twice, but neither has saved........ No idea, it's probably me and my over use of technology recently. I'll try another day, unless anyone else can see me, ChilliGal in almost central Nottingham?

I've added me, twice, but neither has saved........ No idea, it's probably me and my over use of technology recently. I'll try another day, unless anyone else can see me, ChilliGal in almost central Nottingham?

Err - I see a "AussieD40x" which has property of "Last updated by Chilligal 6 hours ago"...

To be fair - I don't think this map works brilliantly - I've added myself [Derby] a few times now, but then keep disappearing!

I seem to remember from other discussions, that two map threads exist - I'm wondering if the non google maps version is more reliable!

If it is [or even if it is just easier to use] it might be worth closing this thread, and trying to persuade people to re-enter details into the other map!

anybody around South Wales?....is it only me around here?....Cardiff anyone???...very new postinf stuff here guys...so bear with me, loving it!!!

Looks like I'm pretty much the only one in the South Lake district Area, with Kendal being the closest one. Shame

Sadly, unless I'm being uniquely singled out to be messed about with the map is being fracked up by somebody. I just checked for my own entry and someone called Anita has move me from the eastern outskirts of London (near Brentwood) to the south of London.

20120314_141424_.JPG

Something similar happened with one of my contributions to the bluebells maps, where an entry I had made got shifted 100 miles to the north.

If people are going to keep screwing up the data in these maps I don't see much point in continuing with this unless some sort of security or regular audit is added. It would be better to have no data at all than a bunch of lies and disinformation.

Perhaps it would be worth everyone else checking their current position on the map to make sure they haven't become misplaced. Maybe it is just me.

Likewise there's one in mid-Northumberland that refers to a member in Nottingham (a good 200 miles to the south of the marker)

Just added myself to this... shame that there is no-one else in Shropshire/the Marches area other than me... it's a gaping hole in the map with little old me in the middle :-(

Back