• Yes - from the Apple App Store

Votes: 74 10.2%
  • Yes - from the Google Play Store

Votes: 79 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 571 78.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't know about the branded app until I just now saw the message at the top of the page asking me to cast a vote. I don't think I'll be using it to be honest as I like using the browsers on my laptop and phone.

Mobile browser for me. Used Tapatalk in the past (I paid for the app way back when) then about 3 months after shelling out they started injecting their adverts (presumably so they could cream off a percentage from the sites) and made the app free.

Also as a past forum admin (also on Xenforo) they used to be the biggest source of fake users & spam posters. Binned it, there was gnashing of user teeth that lasted about a fortnight, spent one off on a mobile theme. Job done....

Anyway if I had every app that was suggested I'd need a second phone just to be able to install them all.

Reactions: Sky
Never knew there was a TP app, but I (generally) hate the UI of forums on phones/tablets and always use a regular browser.

I've never used the TapaTalk thingy. Is it possible that people will be voting on their experience using that rather than the dedicated app? There are no adverts on the app and it seems to work really well. There was a blip for a while when notifications were not getting updated, but it has been faultless since.

I use it regularly ( every day, often several times in a day) so if it goes I would miss it.
i am surprised by the number over voters who don’t use it tbh.

I realise now I’ve no idea what’s being voted on here (except I don’t use any app for TP). I assumed from mention of Tapatalk that it was that but now it seems there’s a TP app! I can’t see any link to it from here though obviously I’ve found it now on the iOS App Store. I’ll give it a go but I shan’t use it I think, I always prefer browsers over apps

I didn't know there was an app either. It doesn't really matter, I hardly ever use apps. My cellphone is for calls/sms/email and that's about it.

I’ve had a go with it but I don’t like it and find it confusing, no doubt I could get used to it and it may be a very good app but I shan’t bother for the reasons given earlier.

The TP app relies on the Tapatalk API - so if you frequent many Tapatalk-enabled forums you only need one app... If not you can buy/rent a dedicated app (as the forum owner) and let Tapatalk manage the updates etc.

Sadly (as above) my experience (as a forum admin) was that the addition of the Tapatalk API was the vector through which spamming users joined that forum... best thing I ever did was disabling the Tapatalk API.

Sorry, I have only just seen the blue strip asking me to click and add my vote - it took me 5 minutes to find where to click..... 'here', but it was the same colour as everything else so I didn't know, and the inverted commas are mine, it wasn't obvious or highlighted to make it easier to find. I tried clicking the camera, I tried clicking the background, it pure luck I hit the 'here'.

I am not sure my vote or opinion is worth anything - I don't know if I use the 'app' or not. How would I know please? I look at Talk Photpography forum on my computer. It is the only way I use the internet. Does that use the 'app'? How do I know if it is the branded version?

Yes, I am very thick when it comes to these things.

Sorry, I have only just seen the blue strip asking me to click and add my vote - it took me 5 minutes to find where to click..... 'here', but it was the same colour as everything else so I didn't know, and the inverted commas are mine, it wasn't obvious or highlighted to make it easier to find. I tried clicking the camera, I tried clicking the background, it pure luck I hit the 'here'.

I am not sure my vote or opinion is worth anything - I don't know if I use the 'app' or not. How would I know please? I look at Talk Photpography forum on my computer. It is the only way I use the internet. Does that use the 'app'? How do I know if it is the branded version?

Yes, I am very thick when it comes to these things.

You don't use the app. :)

The TP app relies on the Tapatalk API - so if you frequent many Tapatalk-enabled forums you only need one app... If not you can buy/rent a dedicated app (as the forum owner) and let Tapatalk manage the updates etc.

Sadly (as above) my experience (as a forum admin) was that the addition of the Tapatalk API was the vector through which spamming users joined that forum... best thing I ever did was disabling the Tapatalk API.
I use the app, but it is purely for Talk Photography, there aren't any other options... no other forums on there as far as I can see. Is this because the web admin have set it up like this through tapa talk then?

The icon for the app looks like this...

IMG_FBC5040296AF-1-2.jpg

I use the app, but it is purely for Talk Photography, there aren't any other options... no other forums on there as far as I can see. Is this because the web admin have set it up like this through tapa talk then?

View attachment 301006

Same here, I do use it on a daily basis, but I've used it since before the site moved to Xenforo, so if its as good as people say in a mobile browser, you may as well save the cost of having it available.

I use the app more than browser I think, stats will show level of usage, no? I doubt I’d miss it. Browser with a mobile friendly theme should be fine. I’ve seen a growing number of services giving up on their apps and sticking with browser.

I use it if I'm out and about - so it gets my vote :)

Les

No good to me as I do not have a smartphone. In fact not even a mobile phone.

Hi, I never use these apps, and cast my vote. (The button and the message field at the top of the page did not work.)

You're right. It's ours.
It's based on Tapatalk.
We used to pay ForumRunner for a custom app a loooong while back, then jumped ship to a Tapatalk custom app when what they were offering was infinitely better and more reasonably priced.

Confusingly, Tapatalk also have a default app where you can access lots of forums. I have specifically excluded us from all that.
The only way to access TP through an app is via our own branded (Tapatalk based) app, and not through the Tapatalk network.

You're right. It's ours.
It's based on Tapatalk.
We used to pay ForumRunner for a custom app a loooong while back, then jumped ship to a Tapatalk custom app when what they were offering was infinitely better and more reasonably priced.

Confusingly, Tapatalk also have a default app where you can access lots of forums. I have specifically excluded us from all that.
The only way to access TP through an app is via our own branded (Tapatalk based) app, and not through the Tapatalk network.
Thanks for explaining - that makes sense. I was always a bit mystified when I heard people mention Tapatalk.

I can't be bothered on my phone, but use the Ap on my iPad. However, I could just as easily use a browser.

I used it for a while, must be at least 18 months ago though, mebbe longer.
I thought it was ok for functionality but the thing kept dinging and pinging in the dead of night despite turning off notifications.
Then it broke for a bit so I dumped it, haven't missed it but I imagine the phone zombies would.

Now I’ve used it a bit to look around - the app isn’t bad - it’s easier to see messages without having to click here there and everywhere. Fairly logical layout - I’m using it now to post this reply - so it’s definitely functional :)

Tablet? I expect not however :). Correct. Just a PC

Never knew one existed. Don't view fora on my phone, just on Tablet or Desktop, which suits me just fine.

Voted to say I have it ...

... however I hated it and only use the browser on my phone. Need to uninstall it. :)

Edit to say I have changed my vote to no.

Last edited:
i quite like the app but find one of the things that doesnt seem to work is notifications?
unless i am missing something
i quite like the app

I used the app when it was first launched which was around 10 years ago IIRC but, when we moved from vbulletin to Xenforo in 2013, it rendered so well in Safari, there was no need for it.

It isn't cheap to run an app like this nd, given that the poll is currently at 81% to 19% in favour of those who don't use it, it's looking like its days are numbered. ;)

Back