The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just watched Andy Mumford video.

I said I won’t. My XT-4 is fine, but…I’m tempted!
You might want to check DPR’s test image. In comparison to my X-T2 at ISO 1600, the X-T2 has noticeably better image quality than the X-T5. I guess that’s to be expected given the number of pixels they’ve jammed onto the sensor. Also you may need to upgrade your computer and storage to accommodate the 82MB RAW files.

A flamboyance of Flamingos reflecting in the surface of a lake. I absolutely love the contrasting colours in this but didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me, that one of the birds was depositing something from its rear end. Perhaps I should have cloned it out! :D X-T3 with 100-400mm:

Flamingo Reflections by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I'm back again... I took my X100s out again today and hit the same EVF problem, sometimes... if there's any light in the frame it just goes dark and shows little detail.

The scene, and this is pretty much what I saw when looking through my TZ100 evf.

6CilU07.jpg

This is about what I saw using the X100s evf.

hlGo0Td.jpg

Some scenes were ok, like this one even though the sun is clearly in the top corner of the frame.

NHePNz6.jpg

And a couple of minutes later for this scene...

YubEGuz.jpg

I saw this in the evf... and again the TZ100 evf did a much much better job of it.

ej2oqou.jpg

I really don't know what's going on with this camera in evf mode. The final picture is exposed how I would expect but the view with the evf sometimes makes the evf unusable. A reset didn't cure it.

The ovf has issues too as the frame lines seem way off for some shots. For example in this shot the frame line cut through the bench leg front left...

MCsiHZq.jpg

I tried multi and average metering and I tried turning the evf brightness up and daylight setting too. Nothing cures this evf going dark issue.

Any advice will be appreciate otherwise I might ring the dealer and see if they'll take it back.

Last edited:
You might want to check DPR’s test image. In comparison to my X-T2 at ISO 1600, the X-T2 has noticeably better image quality than the X-T5. I guess that’s to be expected given the number of pixels they’ve jammed onto the sensor. Also you may need to upgrade your computer and storage to accommodate the 82MB RAW files.
Tbh I’m still more leaning towards the XH-2s. Do like the look of the XT-5 though.

In truth though. If Fuji could bring some better auto-focus tracking to the XT-4 via a firmware update I’d be more than happy!

Lot of talk in the DPr forums about those samples.
By all accounts poorly processed.
Some users have downloaded the RAFs and produced results you’d ‘expect’.
Likewise the pictures Andy shown were far from poor imo. High iso shadow detail lower granted but hardly bad imo at least.

Whilst my computer definitely needs an upgrade the files don’t bother me. The XT-4s uncompressed (compressed are not viewable in MacOS Finder) come in at 58mb anyway, so again for me not the end of the world.

(On a slight tangent. I used Sports mode today for the first time. The camera must apply compression or something to those by default as they are not viewable in MacOS Finder.)

Regardless. I want to replace some of my lenses before I worry about a new body.

A new body would be pure GAS!

Last edited:
So I returned the X-H2s I bought. I tried to get some prices to sell the Z9 and every offer, private or trade, was just too low and with all the investment in lenses as well it was just too much cash to lose to switch systems. Had I been able to get a reasonable price on the Z9 though I would have switched based on my experience over the two weeks loaning it. Lovely camera, if I end up with better cash flow at some point I may still pick one up though.

@woof woof given that my X100 and X100F behave ‘normally’ - I would suggest that your X100S may have a fault. Personally I’d get it sent back as it’s obviously bugging you.

I've googled this and there's nothing I can spot out there like this and no one here seems to be experiencing anything similar so it's odd... I can't see anything in the settings and I haven't seen this with any other mirrorless I've had so I'll give them a call tomorrow. If it is a fault I'd like it working and I'd keep it or go for a f or v but I just don't have the confidence until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for the help.

I've just rang the dealer I got the X100s off and described the dark evf symptoms, sometimes dark, sometimes ok, battery out and power on / off and resetting make no difference. He said it's just a quirk of the camera and I should check for firmware updates. I've checked and it's on the latest version.

I'm very unhappy and it's going back as in this condition the evf is just unusable most of the time.

TBH this has put me off the newer versions unless I can try one in my hand. So, my Fuji experience is over with a bitter taste left :(

Thanks for your help guys.

I've just rang the dealer I got the X100s off and described the dark evf symptoms, sometimes dark, sometimes ok, battery out and power on / off and resetting make no difference. He said it's just a quirk of the camera and I should check for firmware updates. I've checked and it's on the latest version.

I'm very unhappy and it's going back as in this condition the evf is just unusable most of the time.

TBH this has put me off the newer versions unless I can try one in my hand. So, my Fuji experience is over with a bitter taste left :(

Have you got the preview pic effect on. Quite often if I have a recipe dialled in that makes quite a difference. Not sure on your model if it’s the preview pic effect or natural live view option.

Basically shows you the file with no amendments to highlights/shadows etc.

Could you make the screen and EVF brighter ?
Just a thought.
Or is the ND filter turned ON?

Last edited:
Purely for information
The X-H2S is now supported by PureRaw
First shot as from the camera ISO 800
2nd is a very quick and extremely dirty edit processed in PureRaw and has 3.5 stops of exposure added to the foreground
Excuse the lazy masking. Pretty good result as far as noise goes.

As shot from the camera by Trevor, on Flickr

3.5 Stops of exposure added to the foreground by Trevor, on Flickr
I revisited this shot. Now with 4stops exposure added on the foreground. Still processed in PureRaw2 Very happy at the lack of noise.

Now with 4stops added exposure to foreground PureRaw2 by Trevor, on Flickr

Have you got the preview pic effect on. Quite often if I have a recipe dialled in that makes quite a difference. Not sure on your model if it’s the preview pic effect or natural live view option.

Basically shows you the file with no amendments to highlights/shadows etc.

I checked everything in the menu multiple times now and as the issue isn't consistent, it's mostly dark but sometimes it isn't with the same scene, I think it's just a strange fault of some sort.

I don't think I believe what the guy at the dealer said of it being a "quirk" of earlier cameras.

Could you make the screen and EVF brighter ?
Just a thought.
Or is the ND filter turned ON?

I tried the evf brightness and it makes no difference and neither does the ND.

Anyway, it's going back I've ordered an f. I hope to gosh it's ok :D

So, going free to a good home are the extras I got but now can't use...

1 x third party battery.
1 x two battery USB charger.

If anyone wants them just pm me your address and I'll post them on Monday. Free.

Last edited:
I checked everything in the menu multiple times now and as the issue isn't consistent, it's mostly dark but sometimes it isn't with the same scene, I think it's just a strange fault of some sort.

I don't think I believe what the guy at the dealer said of it being a "quirk" of earlier cameras.

I tried the evf brightness and it make s no difference and neither does the ND.

Anyway, it's going back I've ordered an f. I hope to gosh it's ok :D

So, going free to a good home are the extras I got but now can't use...

1 x third party battery.
1 x two battery USB charger.

If anyone wants them just pm me your address and I'll post them on Monday. Free.
FWIW Alan, I don't believe it is a quirk either. I've had 3 X-Pro1s and X100T, all "earlier cameras" never had the kind of "quirk" you are experiencing. I think you'll be fine with the F.

Last edited:
FWIW Alan, I don't believe it is a quirk either. I've had 3 X-Pro1s and and X100T, all "earlier cameras" never had the kind of "quirk" you are experiencing. I think you'll be fine with the F.

Ta.

I just got the return email and it stated they'd repair it and I wasn't happy so I rang to question it and the nice lady said she'd sent the wrong email and would indeed refund me... Well see... :D

Back