The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It’s just been brought to my attention that the X-T100 has reverted back to the Bayer sensor and as a result I half fancy giving it a go as a ‘day out’ camera for snap shots (ie super AF not needed). It seems very cheap with the15-45mm kit lens at the mo and so I was wondering if anyone has this combo and can comment about it and advise if the IQ is decent or worth avoiding?

Also, I understand the lens has a power zoom with no markings, does the camera itself indicate what focal length you are at? Finally can you set it so that the d-pad moves the AF point without first having to press another button? I understand this would disable the functions on the d-pad that are there by default but I assume you could access these via the q menu?

I bought one as I did miss the Bayer sensor qualities of my old X-A1. IQ wise it is excellent, the current price is a real bargain (and may fall further as the X-T200 has just been announced) but I couldn’t warm to it and returned it for a refund. I didn’t like the power zoom and I found the body to be too ‘slippery‘ for me even with the optional grip extension fitted.

But the screen is superb if you like selfies, the build quality (made under license in Indonesia for Fuji) is excellent and for such a small camera it is surprisingly heavy and solid.

I thought the IQ was excellent using my XF primes but I found the 15-45mm power zoom to be very frustrating to use and difficult to control with any accuracy. IQ wise it is surprisingly good but aperture can only be controlled by the camera itself, there is no aperture ring on the lens.

I found focussing to be sluggish and at time inaccurate. The focus point can be controlled using the touch screen and the D pad once the centre button has been selected. The focus frame size is adjusted using the control wheel. I cannot be 100% certain but from memory the D pad cannot be customised.

The X-T200 addresses many of the performance issues of the X-T100 including the sluggish focus and adds a joystick as well as a video gimbal but it comes at an extra £400. This takes it into X-H1 (my favourite Fuji) pricing territory.

If all you want is a small X series with a Bayer sensor and, as you say, you are not too fussed at the AF performance then the X-T100 would be an excellent choice and compared to the other Bayer Fuji’s, , the EVF makes a world of difference. It just wasn’t for me.

Last edited:
Thomas Heaton discusses processing his Fuji X-T3 files here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPtPxH4IpsM&t=652s

He concludes that for his landscape shots Capture1 just beats the Iridient X-transformer plugin in Lr and that both are much better than Lr alone or Lr using Enhance details. But looking at A3 prints when he cannot tell the difference between any of them. Comforting to a print-oriented simple Lr user like me.

(I am sure there are more detailed/informed reviews than his but as he is the kind of photographer I aspire to be like, his view carries considerable weight for me)

And, as I have mentioned before, C1 does not have the ability to stitch a panorama, or pull bracketed raws together to make sure you get the best of the highlights & shadows. It's a good product, but not yet the finished article.

Why would anyone buy that over a mint used xt3 or xh1.
Bayer sensor, but I wouldn't buy at launch price.
I bought one as I did miss the Bayer sensor qualities of my old X-A1. IQ wise it is excellent, the current price is a real bargain (and may fall further as the X-T200 has just been announced) but I couldn’t warm to it and returned it for a refund. I didn’t like the power zoom and I found the body to be too ‘slippery‘ for me even with the optional grip extension fitted.

But the screen is superb if you like selfies, the build quality (made under license in Thailand for Fuji) is excellent and for such a small camera it is surprisingly heavy and solid.

I thought the IQ was excellent using my XF primes but I found the 15-45mm power zoom to be very frustrating to use and difficult to control with any accuracy. IQ wise it is surprisingly good but aperture can only be controlled by the camera itself, there is no aperture ring on the lens.

I found focussing to be sluggish and at time inaccurate. The focus point can be controlled using the touch screen and the D pad once the centre button has been selected. The focus frame size is adjusted using the control wheel. I cannot be 100% certain but from memory the D pad cannot be customised.

The X-T200 addresses many of the performance issues of the X-T100 including the sluggish focus and adds a joystick as well as IBIS but it comes at an extra £400. This takes it into X-H1 (my favourite Fuji) pricing territory.

If all you want is a small X series with a Bayer sensor and, as you say, you are not too fussed at the AF performance then the X-T100 would be an excellent choice and compared to the other Bayer Fuji’s, , the EVF makes a world of difference. It just wasn’t for me.
Thanks, very interesting. Apparently the X-T200 has put a lot of the things right (such as sluggish interface and AF), but I'm not sure about the joystick location, I'd have to try it. I didn't see anything about IBIS, where've you seen that?

I'll hang fire for a while and see what the prices do, I don't go away until the end of March.

Last edited:
It's a first for me, just pre-ordered a 35XC F2 from Wex. I fancy a nifty-fifty fast(ish) aperture equivalent on the crop body and I need a second lens the wife can use on her xe2, so it fits the bill, hope it's here before 14th Feb (as we are going to an Exhibition and I think it will work well there).

Bayer sensor, but I wouldn't buy at launch price.
Thanks, very interesting. Apparently the X-T200 has put a lot of the things right (such as sluggish interface and AF), but I'm not sure about the joystick location, I'd have to try it. I didn't see anything about IBIS, where've you seen that?

I'll hang fire for a while and see what the prices do, I don't go away until the end of March.

Ah that's what you get for reading too quickly and putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5!

Its not IBIS but a new digital gimbal, taken from the FujiFilm X-T200 release:

"A gyroscopic sensor installed in the camera body helps it determine how to account for camera shake and apply its digital image stabilization algorithm, which allows for smoother video capture.
*When using this function, the field of view is cropped
*Lenses and angles of view that can be used are limited. "

Last edited:
I picked up my new (used) X-Pro1 today, following on from the delivery of my 27mm Tuesday. This is my new street setup, which I'm itching to get out and try!

So far, so good. The AF isn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting with the older body and the slow focusing 27.

I have my next trip in to London planned next Tuesday where I'll be meeting a couple of other Fuji shooters. Can't wait!

82916884_514664116092629_7954322154231693312_n.jpg

Last edited:
stealthy

It is very stealthy, exactly what I was looking for.

I've had a little play about so far (nothing major), but I do really enjoy the OVF. Thought it would be a bit of a novelty, but it's nice having that extra view to judge what's going to be entering the frame!

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at "The Tate Modern" in London UK of a young lady on a balcony engrossed in her cell phone.

X-H1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/15th @ F5.6, ISO-3200, Handheld.

Girl On A Balcony-03369
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
I picked up my new (used) X-Pro1 today, following on from the delivery of my 27mm Tuesday. This is my new street setup, which I'm itching to get out and try!

So far, so good. The AF isn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting with the older body and the slow focusing 27.

I have my next trip in to London planned next Tuesday where I'll be meeting a couple of other Fuji shooters. Can't wait!

View attachment 266643

Looks like a great combo.

Looks like I'm going to get an X-H1!! I want to enter the mirrorless world, and some of the features on the X-H1, as well as the great Fujifilm colour rendition has made me choose it over another DSLR. I need some guidance as to the best SD cards to purchase for it. I've been using UHS-I on my D750. Would I be best buying some UHS-II cards for this camera? Also should I be purchasing OM batteries to keep with the manufacturers warranty, or are 3rd party batteries ok? What do you guys recommend?

Looks like I'm going to get an X-H1!! I want to enter the mirrorless world, and some of the features on the X-H1, as well as the great Fujifilm colour rendition has made me choose it over another DSLR. I need some guidance as to the best SD cards to purchase for it. I've been using UHS-I on my D750. Would I be best buying some UHS-II cards for this camera? Also should I be purchasing OM batteries to keep with the manufacturers warranty, or are 3rd party batteries ok? What do you guys recommend?

All my Fuji cameras and two different ones have Sandisk Extreme Pro either 32 or 64GB.

If you get the bundle X-H1 you get three batteries.

Last edited:
I was very pleased with my XT2 and 55-200 lens while on holiday. This was taken early in the morning on Lake Kerkini in Northern Greece this January.

Pelican by brickdav, on Flickr

Very nice wildlife type Fujigraph, lovely light/colour and some fine detail. The 55-200mm lens is still one of my favourite optics and is capable of producing superb detail especially around the F5.6-F8 areas.

George.

A dash to my favourite local, 'short-notice' location the other morning. I woke to a mist and fog warning on the Met Office app on my 'phone. I was dressed and out of the house in ten minutes as sunrise was about to happen. Just made it. :) Really nice to just sit around and watch the sun burn through the mist.

Lifting Winter Fog, Attingham Park
by Jason, on Flickr

Too much flash for my taste. Kills the good light and shadows.
No worries, it was the look I was trying to achieve, I appreciate it could be improved, but I was just testing things out. :)

Thanks for the welcome!
I do have a query. Is it possible on an X T30 for images to autorotate and fill the screen on playback? Images taken in portrait orientation stay stubbornly small regardless of which way up you hold the camera. Like, ahem a phone? If so how do you do it? It seems to imply yes in the handbook, but I can only do it on individual images by selecting and rotating them.
I'm guessing that's a no, then? Unless its so obvious it risks embarrassing me to point it out...
Don't hold back...Embarrass away if so.
If not, would assigning a button be a good move?
Or should I just learn to live with it?

View attachment 266643
That looks a great setup, I don't have the 27, but ~I love the 16, 23 or 35 on my XP2. Enjoy using that, I'm sure you will :)

I'm guessing that's a no, then? Unless its so obvious it risks embarrassing me to point it out...
Don't hold back...Embarrass away if so.
If not, would assigning a button be a good move?
Or should I just learn to live with it?

you can set this on X100F and X-T2 so I would expect it to be in the menus somewhere, I think it’s called AUTOROTATE ON PB.

I dont use it, as while it’s fine for the rear screen, I do a lot of reviewing in the EVF and I don’t like the image in its side in the EVF, I’d rather just zoom in.

if the menu is the same as other X cameras it should be in the wrench menu. Screen setup has Auto rotate that rotates the information prior to taking the image on the second page there is Autototate on PB which will rotate or not the images when reviewed

Back