The Film & Conventional grand September meet!

Dates to visit Black Country Living Museum

• Sat 9th September

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Sun 10th September

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Sat 23rd September

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Sun 24th September

• Sat 30th September

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Sun 1st October

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry all, I won't be able to make it this time. Apologies for the late notice and rest assured, it's got nothing to do with not being able to choose a camera! :p

Hope you have good weather :D

I am also in doubt, t'missus booked me a medical appointment at 10:40. I might still make the afternoon...

Sorry guys, I'm also going to have to pull out - it's been a bad week and I'm not sure I can do the drive. Have fun x

Sorry all, I won't be able to make it this time. Apologies for the late notice and rest assured, it's got nothing to do with not being able to choose a camera! :p

I am also in doubt, t'missus booked me a medical appointment at 10:40. I might still make the afternoon...
Sorry guys, I'm also going to have to pull out - it's been a bad week and I'm not sure I can do the drive. Have fun x

Sorry you can't come. Hope we might see you later Chris.

We'll be at Tipton station at 9.25am to pick Nick up then will head up to the museum cafe for a bacon butty!

I'm out too unfortunately. Looked at the weather outside and decided I didn't fancy trekking down :coldfeet: I've already been to Lytham St Anne's and Ironbridge this week so I've probably over done the trips out. I'm lazy, what can I say :)

Sorry you can't come. Hope we might see you later Chris.

Looking less likely now, sorry. I'll text for a RV if I can come for a bit this afternoon. Have a great day. No doubt there'll be plenty of signs around!

So how many are left in?

Can I send up a cardboard cut of myself so that I can still be in group photos? :D

I'm out too unfortunately. Looked at the weather outside and decided I didn't fancy trekking down :coldfeet: I've already been to Lytham St Anne's and Ironbridge this week so I've probably over done the trips out. I'm lazy, what can I say :)

Lightweights :exit:

We had a good day. The museum is a very interesting place and we enjoyed exploring it, as much as the weather allowed. Luckily, the rain mainly held off until well after lunch. :D

It was nice to meet @dmb and great to catch up with @RaglanSurf and @Mr Badger, who we have to thank for chauffeuring us around!

Our tickets are valid for a year so we'll be going back sometime to finish looking around!

Great to meet up with old friends and new, hopefully we can go back when the sun is shining.

Had a great time at the F&C meet yesterday, the venue was really good and I think there's more left to look at (and photograph) than we managed to see, so I agree with @Mrs Snap that it would be worth another trip there. I enjoyed meeting @RaglanSurf and @dmb for the first time too, it's nice to put some faces to names. (y)

Unfortunately I won't be posting many photos of the meet as I managed to make a right pig's ear (and that's a polite description!) of loading the film in my Canon A1. That will teach me to leave the bacon butty on the table and try to load the camera on my knee in the café, instead of the other way round! Never mind, I should have most of the roll of 36 exposure 800 Portra to use on something else, if I can fish the leader back out of the canister! Now if I still enjoyed my day after that it must have been a grand day out. :)

Unfortunately I won't be posting many photos of the meet as I managed to make a right pig's ear (and that's a polite description!) of loading the film in my Canon A1

I've seen guys sneak in a digi camera for back up on meets. o_O

.... Never mind, I should have most of the roll of 36 exposure 800 Portra to use on something else, if I can fish the leader back out of the canister! Now if I still enjoyed my day after that it must have been a grand day out. :)

Oh pooh! If you need a film retriever let me know.

Oh pooh! If you need a film retriever let me know.

Everyone should have a film retriever as they are so handy but plenty of threads (maybe here) or on the net on how to retrieve the film without one.

Thanks for the offer David, much appreciated, but I ordered a retriever yesterday from eBay and it should be here tomorrow, cheap as chips for what it was so I thought it would be quicker than asking around if I could borrow one, and it probably only cost me a couple of times more than the fuel to drive over to someone's house to borrow one. Besides, it will act as an emblem of my own stupidity and remind me to load the film correctly next time! :banghead:

So what happened? I'd inadvertently turned the reel the wrong way on the camera to wind the leader on, once the back was closed and I wound on, it started to wind the 'right' way and the leader must have slipped from the slot after a couple of turns. Only after getting to 38 exposures and not seeing the rewind knob turning when I wound on did I realised something might be wrong. When I got home I opened the camera back in an improvised darkroom to investigate but as I could feel film wrapped round the reel inside the camera I thought the sprocket holes might have torn at the end of the film, so closed the back and rewound... but after a couple of turns everything went slack! :facepalm:

Luckily the venue is only about an hour away and the admission fee included a 12 month pass, so I'll probably go back there some time over the next couple of weeks for a re-shoot. I'm glad it didn't happen on one of those F&C mini-break tips to somewhere further away, and where I could have lost a couple of days worth of stuff. It's still annoying as I was sure I'd got one or two nice photos. I'll still have about 6 that I took with the folding cameras on B&W though. :)

Was this trip ever done ? I'm gutted that I just found the post as I'm only 5mins by car away from it !

O.k I'll take that question back where are the photos though ?

Last edited:
Was this trip ever done ? I'm gutted that I just found the post as I'm only 5mins by car away from it !
Yes, last Saturday. It's likely some of us will be going back there again as there were lots of photo opportunities and the admission fee includes a 12 month pass. Keep watching the F&C section for details. (y)

O.k I'll take that question back where are the photos though ?

Ive just devved my roll of fomapan from the Nikon F801 and there are 37 images, so we were correct in assuming it is just one of those cameras with tight spacing to allow more shots per roll.
Should have some shots up this evening.

Won't be any from me for a while. I didn't quite finish the film, and I don't like wasting the last few shots taking photos of the garden fence etc!!

Finished my roll from the Nikon FA this morning at Apedale. It's rolling round on the Jobo as I type. Mind you is the first time in years I've had to have a second go at getting a 36 exp onto a Jobo reel. Time for a deep clean of the reels.

P.S. There are pictures [emoji328]

P.P.S. Reels, bleached, hot washed, scrubbed and drying, will just have to remember to give them a new HB pencil treatment.

Last edited:
Ok, here's a few from me. Nikon F801, Nikon 35-70mm lens on Fomapan 200.

Mine2 by Andy, on Flickr
Menswear by Andy, on Flickr
Horse-1 by Andy, on Flickr
Allotment by Andy, on Flickr

and apparently quite a few scenes from Peaky Blinders was filmed at this spot so I thought I'd age it a bit for effect.
Furnace2 by Andy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looking at that first photo, trust us to go on bin day! Mirth aside, some nice looking photos there, I love the one of the chain. (y)

I rather like that last one of yours @Andysnap

Ta very muchchap. It was one of those rare shots that I saw how I wanted it to look and it actually ended up looking like I wanted.

Ta very muchchap. It was one of those rare shots that I saw how I wanted it to look and it actually ended up looking like I wanted.

Well I like it too but would like the brightness increased a bit

Well I like it too but would like the brightness increased a bit

Well Brian, you can't always get what you want. :D I took this because of the feel of the place and I felt from an artistic point of view (get me all arty-farty) and given that it is used as set for a programme set in the 1920's that a darker feel worked better. (y)

Back