The Formula 1 / IndyCar Thread

Sometimes a particular voice associates so strongly with a sport that even when the person passes you continue to hear their voice when you see the sport being played.

Henry Blofeld in cricket and of course Murray Walker for F1.

A sad day but he had a long life doing something that he clearly adored. I would settle for that.

2021 FORMULA 1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON

Dun….dun dun dun dun dun dun da dun duuuunnnnn….

The 2021 Formula One World Championship is GO!

Calendar file

Teams and Drivers
Team
Constructor/chassis/power unit
Drivers

Alfa Romeo Racing Orlen
Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari C41 Ferrari
7 Finland Kimi Räikkönen
99 Italy Antonio Giovinazzi

Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda
AlphaTauri-Honda AT02 Honda RA621H
10 France Pierre Gasly
22 Japan Yuki Tsunoda

France Alpine F1 Team
Alpine-Renault A521 Renault E-Tech 20B
14 Spain Fernando Alonso
31 France Esteban Ocon

Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One Team
Aston Martin-Mercedes AMR21 Mercedes-AMG F1 M12
5 Germany Sebastian Vettel
18 Canada Lance Stroll

Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow
Ferrari SF21 Ferrari
16 Monaco Charles Leclerc
55 Spain Carlos Sainz Jr.

Uralkali Haas F1 Team
Haas-Ferrari VF-21 Ferrari
9 Nikita Mazepin
47 Germany Mick Schumacher

McLaren F1 Team
McLaren-Mercedes MCL35M Mercedes-AMG F1 M12
3 Australia Daniel Ricciardo
4 United Kingdom Lando Norris

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Mercedes F1 W12 Mercedes-AMG F1 M12
44 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton
77 Finland Valtteri Bottas

Red Bull Racing Honda
Red Bull Racing-Honda RB16B Honda RA621H
11 Mexico Sergio Pérez
33 Netherlands Max Verstappen

Williams Racing
Williams-Mercedes FW43B Mercedes-AMG F1 M12
6 Canada Nicholas Latifi
63 United Kingdom George Russell

Calendar Changes
The races will run as listed below, Covid restrictions depending. The sporting regulations were amended to allow for a maximum of twenty-five Grands Prix per year.
- The Dutch Grand Prix is due to be revived, with the race scheduled to take place at the Circuit Zandvoort. The race will mark the first time the Dutch Grand Prix has been run since 1985.
- The Saudi Arabian Grand Prix is due to make its debut, with a night race to be held on a temporary circuit in the city of Jeddah. Further plans to move the Grand Prix to Qiddiya in 2023 were also made public. The race is scheduled to take place at night, the third venue to host a night race after the Singapore and Bahrain Grands Prix.
- The Vietnamese Grand Prix, which was cancelled in 2020 due to the pandemic, was dropped from the 2021 calendar because of the arrest on corruption charges of a Hanoi's People's Committee Chairman Nguyen Duc Chung, a key official responsible for organising the race.
- The Brazilian Grand Prix will be renamed as the São Paulo Grand Prix in deference to the increased involvement from local government.

2021 FIA Formula One World Championship Race Calendar
1 Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir 28 March
2 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Imola Circuit, Imola 18 April
3 Portuguese Grand Prix Algarve International Circuit, Portimão 2 May
4 Spanish Grand Prix Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Montmeló 9 May
5 Monaco Grand Prix Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo 23 May
6 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Baku City Circuit, Baku 6 June
7 Canadian Grand Prix Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montréal 13 June
8 French Grand Prix Circuit Paul Ricard, Le Castellet 27 June
9 Austrian Grand Prix Red Bull Ring, Spielberg 4 July
10 British Grand Prix Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone 18 July
11 Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring, Mogyoród 1 August
12 Belgian Grand Prix Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot 29 August
13 Dutch Grand Prix Circuit Zandvoort, Zandvoort 5 September
14 Italian Grand Prix Monza Circuit, Monza 12 September
15 Russian Grand Prix Sochi Autodrom, Sochi 26 September
16 Singapore Grand Prix Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore 3 October
17 Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka International Racing Course, Suzuka 10 October
18 United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas 24 October
19 Mexico City Grand Prix Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Mexico City 31 October
20 São Paulo Grand Prix Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo 7 November
21 Australian Grand Prix Albert Park Circuit, Melbourne 21 November
22 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Jeddah Street Circuit, Jeddah 5 December
23 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi 12 December

Team Changes

- McLaren will be using Mecedes power units instead of Renault, resuming the McLaren-Mercedes partnership that ran between 1995 and 2014.
- Racing Point will become known as Aston Martin.
- Renault will become known as Alpine, taking on the name of Renault's sportscar brand.

Driver Changes

IN
Fernando Alonso [Alpine]
Mick Schumacher [Haas]
Nikita Mazepin [Haas]
Yuki Tsunoda [Alpha Tauri]

MOVED
Sebastian Vettel [Ferrari to Aston Martin]
Carlos Sainz [McLaren to Ferrari]
Daniel Ricciardo [Renault to McLaren]
Sergio Pérez [Racing Point to Red Bull]

OUT
Alex Albon [Red Bull] - RBR reserve driver
Romain Grosjean [Haas] - Indycar
Kevin Magnussen [Haas] - IMSA/WEC
Daniil Kvyat [Alpha Tauri] - Alpine reserve driver

Financial Regulation Changes

- The championship is due to introduce a budget cap, with teams limited to spending a maximum of $145 million per year. Teams will be required to use more commercially available materials and to submit their annual expenditure.
- The value of the budget cap is set for twenty-one races; each additional race increases the budget cap by $1 million, and vice versa: each race removed from the scheduled twenty-one race calendar deducts the budget cap by $1 million. However, the budget cap does not include marketing budget, driver's salary and the salaries of the team's top three executives. There will be additional restrictions put in place dictating how prize money can be spent. The cap will only apply to expenditure related to car performance, which will remain in place until 2026.

Technical Regulation Changes

- Teams will be limited in what components can be modified for the 2021 season, with this requirement introduced to ease financial pressures on teams brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic. The teams can apply for special dispensation to make changes, most notably in the case of McLaren who were given permission to modify their car to accommodate the switch from Renault to Mercedes engines. This prompted the FIA to introduce a token system whereby teams will be given a series of tokens which can be exchanged for the introduction of specific component upgrades.
- The floor of the cars will be 'clipped' in order to reduce downforce for 2021. In 2020 the floor was permitted to run in a straight line from an area adjacent to the cockpit back to a point ahead of the rear tyre. However, from 2021 that point ahead of the tyre will be moved 100 millimetres (3.9 in) inboard, making the floor edge a diagonal line when viewed from above. This change is expected to reduce downforce levels by 5%.
- Some slots on the edge of the floor will be removed, brake duct winglets will be narrowed by 40 millimetres (1.6 in) and diffuser fences will be narrowed by 50 millimetres (2.0 in). These three changes are expected to reduce downforce levels by a further 5%, meaning the 2021 regulations will see a total 10% reduction in downforce.
- The "dual-axis steering" system developed by Mercedes in 2020 is banned starting from 2021.

Sporting Regulation Changes

- Teams will be required to allow a driver who has competed in fewer than two Grands Prix to replace one of their race drivers in a Friday practice session over the course of the season.
- Following Mercedes' tyre error during the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix, where George Russell was given front tyres allocated to Valtteri Bottas during a pit stop, the FIA has adjusted the rules on tyre usage; drivers using mixed compound sets or using sets allocated to another driver on their cars will be permitted to complete two laps before the driver must pit to correct the error before facing a penalty.
- The race time limit for red flagged races will also be reduced from 4 hours to 3 hours.

Race weekend structure

- Under the new regulations all of Thursday's events will be moved to the Friday morning with the times between Friday's activities being reduced. Cars will be under parc fermé conditions following the end of free practice three instead of qualifying, further restricting teams and drivers making major changes to setups ahead of the race. The length of the two Friday practice sessions will be cut from 90 minutes (as had been the case since the 2007 season) to 60 minutes.
- Teams will discuss and vote on the trialling of Saturday sprint races at some Grands Prix. The proposal states that qualifying for these sprint races would take place on Friday afternoon in place of the normal second free practice session and that the races would be approximately one third of a full Grand Prix distance with drivers in the top eight places receiving points and the total points allocation about half that of a full Grand Prix.

2021 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

4Pr5Rcs.png

Googlemaps Track location

Bahrain International Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 5.412km (3.363 miles)
Race laps 57
Race distance 308.238km (191.53 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’31.447 (Pedro de la Rosa, 2005)
Fastest lap 1’27.866 (Charles Leclerc, 2019, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 329.6kph (204.804 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 336.49m
Full throttle 72%
Longest flat-out section 1,205m
Downforce level Medium
Gear changes per lap 56
Fuel use per lap 1.7kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.054s
Pit lane time loss 18.9s

UK Times
Friday 26th March 2021
Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 14:30-16:00 (UK time: 11:30-13:00)
Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 18:00-19:30 (UK time: 15:00-16:30)
Saturday 27th March 2021
Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 15:00-16:00 (UK time: 12:00-13:00)
Bahrain Grand Prix Qualifying: 18:00 (UK time: 15:00)
Sunday 28th March 2021
Bahrain Grand Prix: 18:00 (UK time: 16:00)

Previous Winners
2010 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari Sakhir Endurance Circuit
2011 Cancelled
2012 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault Sakhir Grand Prix Circuit
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2017 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2018 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2019 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2020 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Videos

Hamilton 2020
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-lVW3E14-c

It looks to be an interesting season if Red bull's testing performance equates to their race pace. We might see something different to the Mercs on the front row of the grid [emoji3]

It looks to be an interesting season if Red bull's testing performance equates to their race pace. We might see something different to the Mercs on the front row of the grid [emoji3]

I hope so.

I want Maclaren to have a strong season and for Sergio to have a successful year at RB. I want Ferrari to be competitive again and for Kimi to get on the podium so we can hear a typical Kimi interview :D I want GR to have a good season despite driving the Williams and for no repeats of the Grosjean incident. I would love to see Hammy get another title but for it to come down to the last race before he seals it. I don't want to see Alonso in a deck chair again :sneaky:

MotoGP this weekend too.

I want John McPhee to win the Moto3 title. I want Sam Lowes to win the Moto2 title after a battle with Jake Dixon. I want Rossi to win the MotoGP title (not gonna happen) otherwise I will settle for Jack Miller.

I have missed my motorsports and especially my MotoGP. BRING IT ON!

MotoGP this weekend too.

I want John McPhee to win the Moto3 title. I want Sam Lowes to win the Moto2 title after a battle with Jake Dixon. I want Rossi to win the MotoGP title (not gonna happen) otherwise I will settle for Jack Miller.

I have missed my motorsports and especially my MotoGP. BRING IT ON!

Love Moto GP, it's the fact that you can still have 4 bikes in it in the last couple of laps, and 2 of them on the last bend. Loved watching WSB as well, but that's become a bit of a one man band now too.

Love Moto GP, it's the fact that you can still have 4 bikes in it in the last couple of laps, and 2 of them on the last bend. Loved watching WSB as well, but that's become a bit of a one man band now too.

I think this may be the closest year in some time at WSBK. Redding and Rinaldi will be fast on the Ducati's and the Honda showed how quick it could be last season. JR will have to be on top form for every race.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Anna Carasco back on track.

Then there is BSB......oh yeah! A good year in the offing.

I just called Sky to see if there is anything they can do on the price of Sky Sports F1, and the answer was no.
No live F1 or IndyCar for me this year.

I just called Sky to see if there is anything they can do on the price of Sky Sports F1, and the answer was no.
No live F1 or IndyCar for me this year.

£18 just for F1 does seem a bit steep. I got an offer about a year ago so I'm only paying £21 for all of Sky Sports, which I don't mind as I do watch a bit of football as well. Just keep your eye out for any offers in a month or two, I'm sure there will be some

£18 just for F1 does seem a bit steep. I got an offer about a year ago so I'm only paying £21 for all of Sky Sports, which I don't mind as I do watch a bit of football as well. Just keep your eye out for any offers in a month or two, I'm sure there will be some

Yeah I’ll keep an eye open. I have already resigned myself to not watching live F1 this year (for the first time in decades), and I’m actually more perturbed by the thought of not being able to watch the Indy 500 live.

I'll stick to highlights later in the day, well actuall I record them and so can the FF through the not so highlights bits, Sky get as little money from me as possible.

Great session. Great drive from Russell, impressed with both McLarens, Sainz seems comfortable, and I loved seeing Alonso make Q3 on his return. Oh, and the Alpha Tauris are impressive!

Great session. Great drive from Russell, impressed with both McLarens, Sainz seems comfortable, and I loved seeing Alonso make Q3 on his return. Oh, and the Alpha Tauris are impressive!
And Vettel proving he should have retired.... disappointed to see Perez caught out by tyre choice, but he ought to have been able to get in Q3 on mediums. Alpha Tauris are certainly a team to watch. I am looking forward to this season.

Not to mention the 3 penalty points on his super-license.

Very enjoyable! Lewis was made to work hard for that. Kudos to Norris and Peréz. Fernando was running well.

Thats the sort of racing i remember as a kid watching some one catch the leader in the dying laps. Love max's confidence to pull out a 5 second lead to cover a penalty. I recall a certain MotoGP Legend being given a time penalty during a race and proceeded to pull out a suitable gap to cover it off.

Botas needs to up his game, becoming a trait that he ends up too far off the lead.

As for dud of the day, well take take your pic between Mazepin or Vettel. The latter blaming Ocon for the crash was laughable, and the stewards agreed.

Best race I have seen for a long time. Well done to Norris and Perez. Alonso was very unlucky, he looked good.

What a fantastic race.

Yup! (And thanks for not giving away the result.)

Stupid stewards but at least they applied it to all the drivers once they'd decided to change their minds about track limits at T4.

LH seemed to be more excited than he has for a few seasons, I think he's really looking forward to a season of racing this year.

Vettel should have known when to retire before hitting the low he seems to be at.

I am not sure the stewards changed their minds on T4 (stupid idea keep within the lines in qually but not in the race)
I am sure I heard the team telling Lewis to reign in the off track at T4 as Lewis was going way way over the boundries, probably prompted by the stewards as it could be deemed gaining an advantage however small (to possably avert any arguments after the race) but not outright telling him to stop
Verstapin had to give up the lead as he had gained it by being off track, which applies all round the cct not just at T4 where it occured
He wanted to race on and try and get a 5 sec + lead as that is what the penalty would have been But Red Bull stopped that as probably all hell would have broken out if he had

2021 Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Del Made In Italy E Dell'emilia Romagna (Imola)

czuQLOS.png

Googlemaps Track Location

Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari
Lap data
N/A

UK Times
Friday 16th April 2021
Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:30-15:30 (UK time: 13:30-14:30)
Saturday 17th April 2021
Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 18th April 2021
Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners

Videos

Tsunoda helmet cam
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGNJK0ydFo

Standings

swbNlNn.png

gaSd5Ye.png

2021 Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prémio De Portugal

jhMFLHc.png

Autódromo Internacional do Algarve
Lap data
Lap length 4.653km (2.891 miles)
Race laps 66
Race distance 307.098km (190.822 miles)
Fastest lap 1’16.466 (Valtteri Bottas, 2020, qualifying two)

UK Times
Friday 30th April 2021
Portuguese Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:30-12:30 (UK time: 11:30-12:30)
Portuguese Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:00 (UK time: 15:00-16:00)
Saturday 1st May 2021
Portuguese Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 12:00-13:00)
Portuguese Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 15:00)
Sunday 2nd May 2021
Portuguese Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 15:00)

Previous Winners
1990 United Kingdom Nigel Mansell Ferrari Estoril
1991 Italy Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault
1992 United Kingdom Nigel Mansell Williams-Renault
1993 Germany Michael Schumacher Benetton-Ford
1994 United Kingdom Damon Hill Williams-Renault
1995 United Kingdom David Coulthard Williams-Renault
1996 Canada Jacques Villeneuve Williams-Renault
1997–2019 Not held
2020 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Portimão
Videos

Max 2020
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGrFtP1YCk8

Standings

xurkMtM.png

s6pvIQM.png

There are also 2 IndyCar races this weekend at the Texas Motor Speedway. Although the current IndyCar is a lot slower than the cars of the CART heyday, the Texas races often delivery some great racing.

2021 Formula 1 Aramco Gran Premio De España

ocSeyED.png

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Lap data
Lap length 4.655km (2.892 miles)
Race laps 66
Race distance 307.104km (190.826 miles)
Lap record* 1’21.670 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2008)
Fastest lap 1’16.173 (Lewis Hamilton, 2018, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 332kph (206.295 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 564.71m
Full throttle 72%
Longest flat-out section 1310m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 45
Fuel use per lap 1.46kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.051s
Pit lane time loss 16.6s

UK Times
Friday 7th May 2021
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:30-13:00 (UK time: 10:30-12:00)
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 8th May 2021
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 9th May 2021
Spanish Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Venezuela Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault
2013 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2016 Netherlands Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Videos

Salo 2002
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiVJaneXkPM

Standings

j2I9h3V.png

eGWTeKg.png

Grosjean finished 2nd in the end, not bad for his 3rd IndyCar race.
As he’s not doing the ovals he wont feature in the next race, the Indy 500. First practice has taken place, fastest speed was 232mph, best lap average was 223mph.

2021 Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco

brsbPOS.png

Circuit de Monaco
Lap data
Lap length 3.337km (2.074 miles)
Race laps 78
Race distance 260.286km (161.734 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’14.260 (Max Verstappen, 2018)
Fastest lap 1’10.810 (Daniel Ricciardo, 2018, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 290kph (180.198 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 111m
Full throttle 34%
Longest flat-out section 669m
Downforce level Maximum
Gear changes per lap 47
Pit lane time loss 18.5s

UK Times
Thursday 20th May 2021
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:30-13:00 (UK time: 10:30-12:00)
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 22nd May 2021
Monaco Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Monaco Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 23rd May 2021
Monaco Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2013 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2017 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari Report
2018 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer

Videos

Gasly helmet cam
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQfiTCQews

F1 vs FE
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQAVn_6QKfY

Standings

RPLNjcd.png

YP2x37q.png

Romain Grosjean has pole position for today’s Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
Grosjean finished 2nd in the end, not bad for his 3rd IndyCar race.
As he’s not doing the ovals he wont feature in the next race, the Indy 500. First practice has taken place, fastest speed was 232mph, best lap average was 223mph.

Good to see him do so well after his crash.

Biggest race of the year today. I know a lot of people don’t “get” the Indy 500 but I absolutely love it. That rolling start of 33 cars who quickly get up to 230+mph on the straights is just awesome.
Then it’s speed, wits, strategy and will till the frenetic last 20 laps or so.
What a spectacle.

Biggest race of the year today. I know a lot of people don’t “get” the Indy 500 but I absolutely love it. That rolling start of 33 cars who quickly get up to 230+mph on the straights is just awesome.
Then it’s speed, wits, strategy and will till the frenetic last 20 laps or so.
What a spectacle.

I just think that the oval track racing doesn't entertain like most F1 circuits. However, I would be quite happy for there to never be another GP in Monaco, I'm pretty sure that there were very few real "overtakes" and the circuit just isn't suitable for modern F1 cars.

I just think that the oval track racing doesn't entertain like most F1 circuits. However, I would be quite happy for there to never be another GP in Monaco, I'm pretty sure that there were very few real "overtakes" and the circuit just isn't suitable for modern F1 cars.

I don't agree. Monaco is "raw", no gravel traps, no run-offs, no room for error, it rewards great drives.

No it doesn’t it rewards a great qualifying lap and the ability to maintain track position through pit stops. Yes you can’t take liberties with the track but there are no overtaking opportunities on the whole lap as cars can’t get close enough on the curves with pit a long lunge and a prayer you don’t get cut off

Monaco hasn't been a race for years - it's an advertising procession and an excuse for the super-rich to show off their boats.

Back