The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

as you may have read, I sent my Nikon D300 to NIKON Repair Centre

they responded quickly with a Send Free label: a few days later i got that dreaded email
'' due to the age of the camera model, we are no longer able to source the required parts ...
Therefore, your camera has sadly been deemed beyond repair ''

at least they mailed it back FOC..............(y)

GAS strikes - just 2 days later I'm surfing eBay and all the Used dealers

today I pressed the ''Pay'' button and once again I have a Nikon D300 ( my 3rd one... :thinking: )
in vgc with a Shutter Count:- 35,210
tn_01.jpg

now comes the waiting.................:tumbleweed:

Well done! How many shutter clicks did you have on the recently deceased one?

Well done! How many shutter clicks did you have on the recently deceased one?......

i dont know but its serial number is 2.084.746
the new one is 4.146.329 ... so younger at 35K shutter

just hoping its as good as stated

Just looking at a used X100 even though I don't need another camera. Already got two DSLRs, one fitted with a 35mm prime and the other fitted with a 28-300mm. Also have a Canon G7X for small and portable. So I have most of what I want, covered. Just not get getting the user experience, with my current stuff. I wonder if a used Fuji X100, will give me the fun user experience I am missing? Or will I find an X100 a little limiting?

Last edited:
I need to sell some recent GAS purchases, to fund the purchase of a Nikon F3. Preferably the F3/T. So, another £200-300 for no functional benefit whatsoever (over the standard F3), bar maybe a bit lighter. But, Titanium....

I got serious GAS for this so I bought it.

ulQF04B.jpg

i used to suffer but i found it went away in the end. Or did i run out of money, one or the other

Currently planning to pick up a Yamaha THR or Vox Adio for home practice now we're pretty much sorted out a room for me. It's not *exactly* GAS because it's part of a plan and useful, rather than simply lusting after 'new, shiny'.

Currently planning to pick up a Yamaha THR or Vox Adio for home practice now we're pretty much sorted out a room for me. It's not *exactly* GAS because it's part of a plan and useful, rather than simply lusting after 'new, shiny'.

I got the Spark this week, already have the THR. It’s like THR on steroids. Sounds good but I think the Yamaha sounds nicer. The Spark seems to have too much bottom end that I can’t dial out.

uCVkJqu.jpg

ukv301y.jpg

I don't know anything about the Spark, though I can fix that.... ;)

At the moment the Vox Adio seems like the obvious choice: better tones than the original THR & a semi-semsible price (the new THR is quite a lot for a home-only practice amp, and it doesn't strike me as *that* much of an update to justify. The original THR was amazing at the time, but was starting to look realy wrinkly.

OK, 50min on t'internet, general conclusion seems to be the Spark has amazing software but boxy, over-bassy digital modelling amp-type tones, while the Yamaha actually sounds like a real amp. I tend to be a 'feel' player, and suspect I'll play much more & better if I enjoy the sounds, rather than being wow'd by the software.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the Spark, though I can fix that.... ;)

At the moment the Vox Adio seems like the obvious choice: better tones than the original THR & a semi-semsible price (the new THR is quite a lot for a home-only practice amp, and it doesn't strike me as *that* much of an update to justify. The original THR was amazing at the time, but was starting to look realy wrinkly.

OK, 50min on t'internet, general conclusion seems to be the Spark has amazing software but boxy, over-bassy digital modelling amp-type tones, while the Yamaha actually sounds like a real amp. I tend to be a 'feel' player, and suspect I'll play much more & better if I enjoy the sounds, rather than being wow'd by the software.

That's exactly it, the Spark is a better practice tool, but sonically it's not the best. For me it is a better tool because my playing sucks so that works for me.

I recently acquired a Mindshift Moose Petersen bag... very different. I like it!

I use a Black Box 10. They have full range speakers.
I use it with a Boss Br 800, Line 6 DM4 & Boss looper and Compressor. Very versatile practice set up.

Looks like a trade in for the R5 is on the cards very soon!

5DM4 for sure and possibly GFX50R undecided on that right now.

The 5DM4 has been great, looking for the better AF, frame rate and video of the R5.

The GFX is also awesome just under used at the moment.

The 5DM4 has been great, looking for the better AF, frame rate and video of the R5.

It will be interesting to hear what happens next...

After my recent purchase of an old D90 a month or so ago, to bring all my old lenses back to life. I said I would not be making any more purchases. I found myself looking at an old Fuji X100, to take out with me on my long walks. I just thought the X100 may give a more enjoyable user experience.

After my recent purchase of an old D90 a month or so ago, to bring all my old lenses back to life. I said I would not be making any more purchases. I found myself looking at an old Fuji X100, to take out with me on my long walks. I just thought the X100 may give a more enjoyable user experience.

Nice one. They’re still very capable. I’ve been considering the V. But my old, slow original produces lovely pictures. I just don’t shoot anything moving.

Nice one. They’re still very capable. I’ve been considering the V. But my old, slow original produces lovely pictures. I just don’t shoot anything moving.

I was on MPB last night, and I stuck my 35mm 1.8G and the 50mm 1.8D in the trade in section, against an X100. Even with both lenses as part exchange, I still needed a fair old whack of cash. Besides, what I would gain in portability with the X100, I would loose what I get with the 35mm 1.8G on my D3300, and the 50mm 1.8D that fits nicely on my D90.

I got serious GAS for this so I bought it.

ulQF04B.jpg

On release day, too! I have had this in my hand in the store and couldn't bring myself to do it with the price BUT, I really want it. Have you built it yet? How is it? So many questions but I share your excitement.

On release day, too! I have had this in my hand in the store and couldn't bring myself to do it with the price BUT, I really want it. Have you built it yet? How is it? So many questions but I share your excitement.

No not yet, I am saving for when I get into a new place first, which could be like 2 years away. I just couldn't wait for want to miss out on this set so I just bought it and forget until that day comes.

After 18 months of procrastination and indecision I finally picked up an Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens.

Super pleased with it, my decision to choose this over the Canon L Equivalent now seems like the right one.

But damn its heavy.

After 18 months of procrastination and indecision I finally picked up an Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens.

Super pleased with it, my decision to choose this over the Canon L Equivalent now seems like the right one.

But damn its heavy.
Great lens, i have it and its great. Only downside is the lens if at 105 and doing building shots facing camera up the lens can creep/shorten but its a trade-off.

Currently buying back into photography from the ground up. I have the Nikon Z6 and 20mm f1.8 I have been waiting to use for a film project but wouldn’t use this for photography.

So it’s either back to Sony, or back to Canon and the R5. Either way this is going to be very expensive...

I have a 5D4 and an R and have been considering trading both for an R5. I want to try one first. The R and I believe the R5 also, may not be great on focusing if you only have horizontal lines ( I know that might not happen!). This is holding me back. I don’t use eye AF - yet, so maybe it’s not an issue for you, but it makes me nervous. Everyone seems to be impressed though.

Tomorrow I am shooting for a local paper and I’m glad I still have my 5D4 in my mitts. I know it will do what I need. It’s also under floodlights so I’m not sure how the R5 with the extra megapixels will compare, noise wise.

I have a 5D4 and an R and have been considering trading both for an R5. I want to try one first. The R and I believe the R5 also, may not be great on focusing if you only have horizontal lines ( I know that might not happen!). This is holding me back. I don’t use eye AF - yet, so maybe it’s not an issue for you, but it makes me nervous. Everyone seems to be impressed though.

Tomorrow I am shooting for a local paper and I’m glad I still have my 5D4 in my mitts. I know it will do what I need. It’s also under floodlights so I’m not sure how the R5 with the extra megapixels will compare, noise wise.

Yes, the 5D4 is probably the last of the 3 cameras I have that I would let go.

Loads of cameras and lens and thinking of selling the lot. Probably get something like a Nikon Z50 to replace the GAS acquisitions.

Is this the confessional? Is there room for one more please? :mad:

Having flipped all my 35mm and 120 format film gear about 8 years ago I decided during c-19 lockdown that I'm missing it rather badly. Something to do with "can't go out.... want to manipulate film camera gear again.... oh in the garden to start with and we'll take it from there".

Research? Are you kidding me? I'm all over youtube like a mug.

Oly 1,2 and 4 bodies and "some" lenses,
3 Soviet rangefinders - Zorki 4, the original - not Mark 1 - Zorki partly because it was made in the same year as me and a Fed 2,
Some M39 rangefinder lenses,
Bessa T rangefinder - because I forced myself not to simply return to my previous Contax G1/G2 happy experience,
Zeiss 120 format folder,
Another Zorki

Now I'm in conversation about a Mamiya 645 kit (I seem to have held on to a lens from last time.

But, WHOA!!!!! what's happened to the price of film and why do £Poundland no longer stock Aggy Vista at £1/roll?

Oh well, in for a penny....

Bulk roll ASA100 and ASA400 B&W and some rolls of 35mm colour and 120 in B&W and colour.

I have also snuck in a cheeky Nikon EM with a selection of the e-series lenses. Not a great camera, but it was the one I wanted to get to complete my film module at college back in the day.

I ended up with a Zenit 12XP at the time, so this is catharsis.

Loads of cameras and lens and thinking of selling the lot. Probably get something like a Nikon Z50 to replace the GAS acquisitions.
How many cameras and lenses have acquired that need to go so that you can start again? :D:clap:

Back