The official Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread - *1.0.4 standard and C-Log firmware now available*

Very nice Julian, a wonderful background, and the details on the feathers and fat ball are great !!!

As for Bulky and Heavy, I'm still in the frame of mind that is what I love about it, I like my cameras to feel solid and well built, I am bound to change my mind in a few years though :D

I'm getting closer to my new year purchase. You guys aren't helping me keep my pennies in my pocket !!

I'm thinking it'll be a great step up from my 5D MkII.

I was toying between the MkIV and the 5DSr but this seems to be a far better all rounder and better processing despite having less pixels to play with!

I'm getting closer to my new year purchase. You guys aren't helping me keep my pennies in my pocket !!

I was toying between the MkIV and the 5DSr but this seems to be a far better all rounder and better processing despite having less pixels to play with!
Tough choice Adrian !!! - in my opinion the iv is certainly more of an all rounder compared to the dS, especially on the low light and contrast ratio alone let alone the other bits n bobs :)

That is the main reason I went for the 5d IV over the 5dsr - it seemed better in low light and all rounder. BUT naively I thought I could easily switch from my old 7d to this new beast, they look the same but rather different! I am starting to get used to my new camera and am going to love it, the only hindrance will be the user.

Last edited:
That is the main reason I went for the 5d IV over the 5dsr - it seemed better in low light and all rounder. BUT naively I thought I could easily switch from my old 7d to this new beast, they look the same but rather different! I am starting to get used to my new camera and am going to love it, the only hindrance will be the user.
I had a 7d a couple of cameras ago, and agree that this is a mighty step indeed... but hey, it's feel is wonderful in comparison in my opinion too... enjoy :)

Also really enjoying mine too - recent sunrise <snip pic>

When I got it I was expecting to trade in the 5DM3, however I've kept hold of it as it's very handy to have the two bodies.
A very nice image, I do like a cloud inversion, and them frosty tree tops set it off nicely... keeping the 5d3 is nice for you too :)

£2500 from Panamoz or £3000 UK seems a good price considering the exchange rate challenge of late.

I'm waiting to see what offers there are after the current lens deal to decide if I will take the plunge and buy UK or 'grey' in the new year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Sony a7r2 and this camera 5d4 and when I need to do pro work I pick the 5d4 every time.

Its robust and super reliable. Just did a shoot today on it!

I'm not so sure, generally when a new body comes out there's a lot of discussion both pro and con, and I think a lot of the adverse comments relate to price at launch which I suspect gave everyone a bit of a shock, it's actually interesting to see the price predictions made in the early posts, someone said perhaps £2400 in 8 months for UK available stock...and it's only taken 4to get to £2500 on the grey imports!......these are things that are quite interesting to look back on.
Let's face it, how often do we read these posts anyway, and the threads always settle down, so I don't see the harm in it.

It's a good incremental upgrade from the mk 3 in my opinion from what I read, just a pity about the lack of CFast cards, but I feel the same about the 1Dx ...it should have had 2 so there's a gripe about that!!

George.

Last edited:
I tried allocating 2 buttons to back focussing today, but then went out for lunch and haven't used it. I am a novice to this back button focussing so would be keen to hear how you all get on with it.

I tried allocating 2 buttons to back focussing today, but then went out for lunch and haven't used it. I am a novice to this back button focussing so would be keen to hear how you all get on with it.

I have one button set for Servo AF, and another for one shot AF. Seems to work quite nicely.

Many liberties were taken getting this shot :)
Forest hut in the wilds of Finland last week.
Hand held for 1s with the aperture wide open - the 16-35 f4 is an amazing lens!
ISO 6400 and pushed by 1.2 stops in Lightroom - there is no way the 5D3 image could have been pushed like this.
In short, the 5D4 has massively exceeded my expectations for low light handling. It's far more than an incremental improvement.
i-Z8SPqpc-L.jpg

Right guys I've split the posts again, the other 2 threads there were mentioned are now hyper linked to the first page.
The discussion about the various threads / posts have been deleted but nothing regarding the camera has been deleted.
Please enjoy your "new" thread :snaphappy:
And Happy new year to all readers (y)

Last edited:
Tried out my new setting of back button focussing today (AI SERVO), using M, f11, 1/1000, auto ISO (6400). Really pleased with the focal points, but it turned out too dark so quite a bit of grain in post processing. Was great to be out and play though, and will try again with different settings tomorrow
View attachment 92738

Ooh don't know anything about ISO changing by button - my next task! I have set up 2 back button focus (AF-ON is 'one shot' and * is AI-SERVO) but that still means I have to change manually from AV to TV or M?

Last edited:
Ooh don't know anything about ISO changing by button - my next task! I have set up 2 back button focus (AF-ON is 'one shot' and * is AI-SERVO) but that still means I have to change manually from AV to TV or M?
As far as I am aware yes that is the only way, but others may know differently :)

I have my AF-ON as my default AI-Servo which I use 80% of the time, but to be honest I have never changed the * setting from default

Just had a great experience with Panamoz. Placed order for Canon 5D Mark iv + lens price £3370. Ordered 09:00 03/01/17 arrived today 10:00 06/01/17. Tracked it all the way from Hong Kong by UPS.

Just had a great experience with Panamoz. Placed order for Canon 5D Mark iv + lens price £3370. Ordered 09:00 03/01/17 arrived today 10:00 06/01/17. Tracked it all the way from Hong Kong by UPS.
cool... What was the lens, I haven't looked at what they are packing as a kit lens on the mo 4's ??

cool... What was the lens, I haven't looked at what they are packing as a kit lens on the mo 4's ??

There were two package options when I last looked. The 24-105 MkII and the 24-70. At that price it's the 24-105 I'd say. Excellent combination IMO

Technically an owner as we've got one still sitting in the box it came in :)

Was hoping to do some testing with it over the Xmas break but the free time never turned up. Has anyone done much playing around with the video features yet?

The face tracking is extremely helpful feature that I use a lot.

Technically an owner as we've got one still sitting in the box it came in :)

Was hoping to do some testing with it over the Xmas break but the free time never turned up. Has anyone done much playing around with the video features yet?
OMG !!! get it out of the box and get out there :D

Actually, no I have not used the video as of yet, but actually didn't on my mk3 either, maybe I'm an oddity :thinking:

The face tracking is extremely helpful feature that I use a lot.
Agree very good, on live view object tracking of any kind sticks like glue with AI Servo/live view

Yeah.. i know i need to get started with it.l

its just a big mental process for me learning to work with a new camera as we run so many different types it can get confusing.

The face tracking sounds great though!

Yeah.. i know i need to get started with it.l

its just a big mental process for me learning to work with a new camera as we run so many different types it can get confusing.

The face tracking sounds great though!
Don't leave it too long :)

Ive just upgraded from the 5D II to 5D IV having condidered the 5DSR and all I'll say is you won't regret it. Its a huge improvement not just in IQ but in ease of use with the touch screen and level of customisation etc

Back