THE PP GAME!

cropped
vibrance
saturation
butterfly
lowlights added

do you think the butterfly looks like its there? i can't decide. tips for improving it welcome :)

butterfly.jpg

here`s my go
cropped
sharpened
inc sat, contrast highlights etc
opened in cs, cloned some more purple flowers onto the stems
made a blurred layer and erased around flowers
finished!
ppgameflowers.jpg

tricky...

flower.jpg

layers.jpg

plus a bit of sharpening of flowers and burning for the frame layer.

did I mention a crop?

Last edited:
OK, decision time.. I'm going with Flying giraffe's edit because when I started trying to edit the photo myself, it was his approach that seemed most natural to me. So, inspired by the long necked aviator, here's my take:

Well done again Neil and well done to all the others as all good edits (y)

Thanks Paul(y), heres one for you all to have a play with, im not sure if i like the shot, so lets see if you can make anything out of it, good luck everyone
I'll call this one thurs 7 pm
IMG_7787.jpg

raw
http://min.us/m095agucd

Last edited:
Nice one Walter I really like this (y)

Here's mine, hope I haven't crossed the line here:

1) Converted to tiff & ran topaz denoise over it
2) In PS I cloned out the wires, and cloned some of the cloud detail from the top of the pic down lower into the body of heavy cloud. This enabled me to crop out the pole while still retaining the interesting cloud.
3) In LR4:
- Lifted exposure, contrast & shadows
- Adjusted tone curve slightly to raise lights
- Upped vibrance
- Subtle bluish hue in split toning for highlights
- Less subtle bottom-to-top gradient to tint the lower section slightly
- Highlight priority vignette
- Heavy sharpening with a big mask value

GammyKnee said:
Here's mine, hope I haven't crossed the line here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27172079@N08/7447152508/

1) Converted to tiff & ran topaz denoise over it
2) In PS I cloned out the wires, and cloned some of the cloud detail from the top of the pic down lower into the body of heavy cloud. This enabled me to crop out the pole while still retaining the interesting cloud.
3) In LR4:
- Lifted exposure, contrast & shadows
- Adjusted tone curve slightly to raise lights
- Upped vibrance
- Subtle bluish hue in split toning for highlights
- Less subtle bottom-to-top gradient to tint the lower section slightly
- Highlight priority vignette
- Heavy sharpening with a big mask value

Nothing wrong with that! No dragons or war elephants imported so it's a pass ;)

Thank you!

[Thank goodness no-one spotted the dalek in the lower left corner ;):LOL:]

I saw it when you first posted and air brushed (EXTERMINATED) it out :woot::woot:

another tough choice, its the coin again im afraid, and the winner is........................

Paul aka gammyknee, well done fella, over to you.....

Congratulations Paul - nice one (y)

mred.jpg

high pass filter,
selective sharpen horse,
use green channel to boost colour of grass,
add cookie cutter for jagged border,
create empty layer fill with blue
use crop tool for b&w border

Last edited:
IMG_3740-Edit-2_edit.jpg

My first time on this.
Flipped, cropped, various colour tweaks, small edits with the healing brush to clean up parts on the grass.

horsey_Field_LR_edit1.jpg

I used some layering in PSE10, from the original RAW file

01. crop
02. high pass filter
03. erased the high pass filter on the grass and flowers just keeping the horse only
04. set opacity of layer to 40% and changed from normal to 'overlay' mode
05. copied layer for greater effect
06. dodged the eyes to bring out the iris colour a bit
07. new layer for brightness and contrast then upped the brightness a bit
08. saved as a PSD file

opened in Lightroom 4:

01. decreased vibrance overall
02. increased individual colours orange and red saturation
03. increased luminance of green slightly and red/orange
04. very slight sharpening
05. added slight vignette
06. saved as jpeg file and posted

Last edited:
here`s my attempt
basic adjustments in raw
sharpened
boosted yellows and greens
opened in cs cropped
cloned out the distracting branch, and moved some daises, also cloned the red flowers which took my eye from the horse
added selective blur the the outside grass area
finish!
pphorse.jpg

Some really nice edits here but the one that stands out for me is the one by AndrewP. That crop and flip really works for me!

Here's my original take on the shot (but I much prefer AndrewP's):

So, over to you Andrew!

Thanks GammyKnee. One slight problem is that I don't have any raw files. If you've ever used a Canon G3 you'll know it's just not worth it as they take too long to save. Will a jpg do?

Sorry to disrupt things a little - I wasn't expecting to take the lead!

Well done Andrew. It was a very good edit using some creative thinking (y)(y)(y)

Plenty of edits have been Jpeg so no worries but the bigger the file the better as some have only been the jpeg uploaded on this thread and not really good enough to work on the details.

PS Whats a Canon G3? One that cavemen used :p

PPS Only joking in my PS

@DayDreamer - thanks. The G3 is stone age. I'm close to getting a dslr though - just applied for a 0% purchases card today. Anyway, I'll dig up a jpg.

Ok, here's one I took in the Rockies less than a month after having my first camera - the stone-age Canon G3. Sorry there's no raw file. Space was at a premium back then and it was saved onto a 32mb card.

103_0350_r1.jpg

Finish Friday 7pm?

here`s mine
cropped to landscape
3 layers for sky, snow and trees adding contrast and lighting to bring out the textures of the snow/trees, and other basic adjustments till it looked ok
blurred the sky slightly and reduced noise to make a cleaner sky
added a frame and saved
finished!

rockies.jpg

Hi, I've been busy at work these last few weeks so not had much chance to dabble!

Anyhow, I'm sat at work with an hour to spare so had a go at this on my phone.

Can't say exactly what I did! Contrast was tweaked, saturation increased on different areas in the sky. Contrast was selectively tweaked again to bring out the detail in the mountain in the background and on the left. Finally some drama was added for that moody look and cropped to landscape.

fcf21f64.jpg

This sure was one shot that seemed to look simple at first glance but then, as I have found, don't be deceived :puke:

So in my usual way, which really is very random, I was seeking to get the right crop, square is currently my favourite and I thought this shot suits it. I was tempted by a landscape crop but others beat me to it and they may have thought I was copying them :p

The hard bit was getting the separation between the sky and the 'rocks', then trying to 'drama' up the sky,then trying to get the green with the trees either side of the road. Also I found it was easy to make the snow go blue - eeek!! I also wanted to 'warm it all up' as I have enough of feeling cold and miserable looking out of my lounge window.

Phew worn out now :LOL:

TPRockies.jpg

Last edited:
snowy_mountains_polaroid_edit1.jpg

opened in LR4:

cropped to custom ratio,
increased exposure slightly,
increased whites,
increased shadows,

used split tone for extra colour,
sharpened slightly at ratio of 0.5,
added grain to image,
applied filter to the bottom with decreased exposure,
added vignette,
saved to new file & posted.

It has been a while since I had a go at this so though I’d join in for this one.
I cropped the image to a Square using the crop tool and setting the crop width and height options.
I created a blank new layer then changed its blend mode to overlay then I did a black to transparent gradient which made the colours in the sky pop.
I did a selection of the sky copied it and pasted it to a new layer. I then flipped it vertically and moved it down to cover the road. I then reduced the opacity to around 20% and used a layer mask so that only the road showed some of the reflected sky colours.
The rest was done with little dodging and burning to add more contrast.
Finished with a white border.
I think I've gone a bit overboard with the saturation of the colour but what the hell I'm in a colourful mood :)

21212786.jpg

There's some brilliant processing going on there and I'm surprised by all the different approaches. But I'll have to give the gold medal to Stormcrow as it's very dramatic. Well done and over to you.

Well here's my take on it. Small amounts of colour tweaking, contrast adjustments and a tighter crop.

103_0350_r1_edit.jpg

Thanks very much Andrew

Here is one to be getting on with, taken with a Big Stopper so a bit of a blue cast.
View from Elgol Isle of Skye.

exQ9o.jpg

Raw file here

I’ll give this till Wed evening around 8ish

Well done Dale (y)

Now let's see about an edit on your photo - as you say a lot of blue in there - can't find any red, green, yellow or 'owt' else. You do make it tough :eek:

Ooops yes some green on the top of the rocks to the right :bonk:

Last edited:
Back