THE PP GAME!

thanks Graham, i didnt use hdr at all on this, with the bench i increased clarity, something i often do as i tends to sharpen and bring out detail, and then reduced the blacks, and played with the shadows/highlights, all of this with the raw file raw

thanks for the kind words too, i also thought there was some great edits , cheers(y)

ill have a look for another one now

here`s one to be getting on with, it was taken in Cyprus earlier this year, there should be plenty of scope for cloning etc, good luck everyone, and ill call this Sunday evening

IMG_9570.jpg

and the raw
http://www.mediafire.com/?iz9ilg2g2lfpcl8

Good un Neil :clap:

I am having a problem downloading your file - unless it is just me :thinking:

Graham - you deserve a thank you for taking the time and trouble to give a in depth critique with your decision (y)

Hi Neil

I have just tried on my other laptop, then my desktop, but no luck so far - so would be interesting to see if everyone else can download it :shake:

Not A lot to be done in Raw only very minor adjustments
Lots of Cloning on the Car, 2 Signs and a little painting
Slight Rotation
Cropped (3 times)
Adjusted Colour Curves
Lighting & Shadow Adjustments
Vignette
Done

cyprus_PUB_though_arched_window by btyreman, on Flickr

what I did;

opened RAW in LR4.3;

cropped out left side,
changed WB to 'daylight' which warmed things up a bit,
shadows + 79
blacks - 25
clarity + 46
vibrance + 42
+23 boost to highlights in tonecurve to make it look sickly and touristy or 'pop' as some would say,

split toning:
boosted purples in the highlights and yellows in the shadows

sharpened quite a lot,
a bit of colour noise reduction helped reduce artefacts in the boosted shadows,
used lens correction which was crucial on this one!
within lens correction enabled ticked the 'remove chromatic aberration' button which completely removed the slight purple tinge at the top of the arch.
added +20 grain to help sharpen it even more,
exported to jpeg with 'standard' screen sharpening 1024 megapixel long edge,

NO CLONING OR LAYERING

done.

Last edited:
Graham - you deserve a thank you for taking the time and trouble to give a in depth critique with your decision (y)

You're welcome John, it's the least i could do after all the great edits posted up for me. And gave me a chance to organise my thoughts to try and pick a winner.

I am having a problem downloading your file - unless it is just me :thinking:

I've got it semi-ok. When the mediafire page comes up with the green download box - if I don't click on it, page goes to a error 404 page. However if I QUICKLY click on the download box, it comes down no problems.

I've got it semi-ok. When the mediafire page comes up with the green download box - if I don't click on it, page goes to a error 404 page. However if I QUICKLY click on the download box, it comes down no problems.

There's no doubt getting it is problematic and perhaps it is an attempt to check our IT skills as well as PP skills :eek:

I have tried as you suggested but whilst it initially appeared to work it still reports an error message and fails. I will try again in a while and see :cautious:

Opened in raw, warmed up and pushed up clarity, lifted shadows a bit. Opened in photoshop proper, correct the perspective, cloned out car and big sign, tweeked colour a bit. and crop.

8289998315_085a7bfb87_b.jpg

gallery_18138_2130_29402.jpg

View from dark inside to bright outside = HDR to me (and i like it)

In Canon's DPP
created 5 exposures (-2 to +2)
each with slight contrast boost, sharpen and colour boost
Into Dynamic Photo HDR
Created 6 different blends and picked the one I liked best after full blend and tonemap
Chose the "eye-catching" setting with slight adjustment to light direction
Into GIMP for cloning session
Removed car, car shadow, street lights and reconstructed wall of building and doorway (rather than covering it with a bush :LOL:)
Straightened around the tip of the arch
Cloned in bricks to fill the gaps where I had straightened as I didn't want to lose the tip of the arch.
Resized to 1024
Sharpened

edit - wierd about the d/l link. Just tried it again and it does as before for me... but right-click >> open in new tab or new window it comes up with the d/l page fine :shrug:

Last edited:
Downloaded no prob for me

IMG_9570-2_zps2e188992.jpg

Double raw conversion did most of the work, one for arch, one for inside,
Sharpened a lot
Cloned out car, tried content aware didnt work :( so had to do by hand.
Tried to remove sign with CA, didnt work again...so was lazy and left in :)
Contrast B&W layer on lowish opacity
Agressive crop :)
and vignette drawn in by hand

With more time I would have given the sky some NR and maybe had a play and moved some light around a bit, and done a better job of the cloning/healing

as ever any Q's just let me know :)

Last edited:
Just caught it :LOL:

Put my finger on my screen so when I reloaded the MediaFire page I instantly launched my mouse to the right place and clicked. Doing this several times and I managed to make a connection from which it downloaded. Strange as I am not a PC Expert but sure 'ain't' a PC Illiterate. I wonder if was anything to do with my ISP but now hope I can get an edit in :thinking:

The edits on this thread are getting better so some tough competition :eek:

Raw page opens fine for me too, just tried it again and it's still ok, maybe you caught it on a bad time?

TPthrougharchcolour.jpg

Straightened but don't like using 'remove distortion' as end result always looks worse - even more distorted. But did try several times until I felt the straightened position was right.

Cropped and again tried a number of crops including square until I choose this.

I was tempted to clone but my view is usually 'why' as this is a shot of a memory but each to their own.

Bit of HDR in Dynamix.

Bit of sliding the sats controls

Bit of High Pass sharpening and in Overlay mode

That's it - not much - but took a long while for not much :shrug:

TPthrougharchmono.jpg

Then I opened the colour version (done in PE10) in CS4 and converted to greyscale but then individually tweaked each colour until I felt happy'ish although I rarely do mono versions but no one else has so why bloody not :clap:

Phew and will hide now in case a critique is done telling me they are ...... !!!

here goes
as always some really good edits, you all really pulled the stops out, great cloning, and getting the details out of both parts of the image, i liked the perspective in swanseamale47`s edit, and the detail that overbez has pulled from the arch is great, the hdr affect in TheDrift`s was good too, i do like the hdr affect if its done correctly, and great cloning too, DayDreamer gets extra marks for two edits, and i think the b/w works really well here, livewires71 got some good colours going on the chapel, it was a sunny day so thats how it would have appeared, symmetricalOCD`s edit was probably how i would do it, im not brilliant with cloning so i would have left the car for example, and the colours spot on, so here it is, and its a tough one, but for taking the time to do two edits, im going to give it to Daydreamer, well done John, over to you

Wowee Thanks Neil

Next time I will submit ten edits & may win again soon :LOL:

As always I feel in really good company and so know the problem choosing :eek:

I am desperately searching for a shot to upload so bear with me (y)

Here be it and should I apologise as it was taken, by me, with my wife's Panasonic TZ30. Not a Nikon D4 or Canon 'whatever' :LOL:

I just like the composition, the memory it evokes and feel there is enormous improvement that can be made with the lighting, sats, dodging & burning, etc

Hopefully (if I should win again) I can get some RAWs uploaded from my Christmas present a new Nikon P7700 if I can get out and take some shots in the first place.

I will call next Friday evening at 8.00 p.m. and meanwhile all have a great Christmas and may 2013 be a good one for you.

My best wishes to you all

John AKA DayDreamer

TPDartingtonCoffeeCorner.jpg

Full sized Jpeg here - I hope :nuts:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/96257452/TP Dartington Coffee Corner.JPG

Sorry I've been busy with the pre Christmas wrapping shopping lunacy!

Anyhow here's a quick go in Snapseed:

D31D9EBD-BBA0-4F1E-8E76-70B4268AEDC3-223-000000DDAD538543.jpg

I lightened the dark corner and attempted to tone down the blown bit, then converted to B&W, reduced the brightness a touch and increased the contrast. Also gave it a slight sharpen.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have fun.

Well done John, :)

Here's my take on your pic

TPDartingtonCoffeeCorner_zps99be7055.jpg

My layers bottom to top:

Basic adjustments in Camera Raw, then
Topaz detail layer, desaturated set to luminosity, masked sky.
Brightness/contrast
Curves (bit of cross process to add colour grading)
Added a touch of contrast
Slight adjustment to brightness
Sharpened
Vignette
added a bit more brightness from top left to middle
Blurred corners v slighly (bit like a blur vignette, done with heavy NR then set to low opacity 27%)
Levels
Vibrance
Selective colour
Then cloned out the red thing (no idea what it was to the right of the hut)

Sounds more work than it was, a lot of little tweaks, maybe 15 mins :)

Two good edits already (y)

Shaun you have me intrigued as to that 'red thing' as we pop there quite often and after scrutinising other shots of the general area it strikes me it must be a person sitting down. A red top grey trousers as you can see legs through the fence lower down.

increased clarity and basic adjustments, increased temp and sharpen
cloned out wires and santa
added more clarity to bottom half only to bring out the wood
thats about it really, although did manage to treble the size of the jpeg to 16 meg, do i get extra points?
TPDartingtonCoffeeCorneredit.jpg

Dartington_Coffee_Corner_Edit.jpg

Went for a retro lomography style. Opened in LR3 CP preset applied then split toned. Opened in PSE 10 - gaussian blur with radial mask applied then sharpened and curves adjusted.

Neil

I hope someone can shed some light on why but alas not me. I 've just checked and it is a jpeg file on my PC and downloaded for me as such so :thinking:

It took me all my time to download the last one :clap:

Neil

I hope someone can shed some light on why but alas not me. I 've just checked and it is a jpeg file on my PC and downloaded for me as such so :thinking:

It took me all my time to download the last one :clap:

It's already been opened in camera raw by the op and " photoshop remembers"

TP_Dartington_Coffee_Corner.JPG

Couldn't find ANY detail in the Silver Birch highlights - so cropped it out :LOL:
Didn't have tome to clone the wires out - so cropped them out :LOL:
Orton effect in Picasa
Vignette in Picasa
Cloned the red jumper out in GIMP.

Slightly later than my 8.00 p.m. but I have a stinker of a cold and had fallen asleep.

With no more ado I am calling Neil's as the end result is one I would aspire to have reached but doubt if mine would of been so good. So well done Neil and I didn't need to give you extra points, for bloating the size, as you won fair and square :LOL:

I feel you pulled the best out of the silver birch, cloned a few things out really well, got the right amount of light to the left side, pulled the interest out of the tables/chairs, floor, fence & kept the colours throughout all accurate. Sorry for my layman's jargon need to learn photo-talk still :LOL:

Without Neil's I must admit I was looking at Shaun's as it gave an interesting feel - slightly spooky :eek:

Thanks though to you all for 'having a go' so over to you Neil and I will need to put my own edit up tomorrow as not feeling great right now (y)

Here's my edit but it was done a few months ago so sorry not sure how I did it. However as is my usual style I may have pulled the sliders a bit too hard :)

DartingtonCiderPressCoffeeCorner.jpg

Back