The younger, or more timid generation.

You realise you are old, when you get ages wrong on ITV's the chase. I game me and the missus play, between ourselves. When contestants introduce themselves and give their age. They look old, but they are the age of our children. o_O

61% of 35 to 44 year olds own their own home.
So generally 35 to 40 year olds are "well off"? Really?

I doubt they do, more like they have a mortgage and owe the bank or building society
How about equity in property stands at 2.6tn of which 1.8tn belongs to the over 55's

You won't convince me anymore than I will change your mind.
Stalemate and it's time for tea and beer, have a good one

But do you not agree that for many it's down to working hard and making provisions for old age
basic state pension won't pay for every thing

And the fact that property was far far cheaper as a multiple of wages, so it was easier to buy a property which then multiplied in value, reducing living costs for that generation, and in itself becoming a provision for old age. Along with far more generous work pensions than there are now.

That is of course, not to say that all pensioners are well off. But certain things were far easier to afford in those days, than they are now when it's not unusual for properties to be 8 - 10 times the average salary.

My parents are certainly guilty of cherry picking facts when talking about my, and younger, generations. Pointing out the hardships they had, whilst ignoring the good things they had.

The children and grand children have always been very good with us, they always visit ( not at the moment) and ask if we need anything. Me and the missus will make sure we will see them right, should they get into difficulty. I was not going to spend any money on myself, just in case family members needing helping out. But I did treat myself to an old cheap body a few weeks ago. Reason being, we have not been spending money on diesel and various other things, so I did have a little spare cash over anyway.

Many younger people are currently having to find money for mortgage/rent payments, bills etc having had their entire income disappear overnight with little to no safety net.
They shouldn't have. They should have been furloughed and should be receiving 80% of the monthly wage upto £2.5I. If they are fortunate some employers are paying the extra 20%.

I doubt they do, more like they have a mortgage and owe the bank or building society
How about equity in property stands at 2.6tn of which 1.8tn belongs to the over 55's

You won't convince me anymore than I will change your mind.
Stalemate and it's time for tea and beer, have a good one
Enjoy.

And the fact that property was far far cheaper as a multiple of wages, so it was easier to buy a property which then multiplied in value, reducing living costs for that generation, and in itself becoming a provision for old age. Along with far more generous work pensions than there are now.

That is of course, not to say that all pensioners are well off. But certain things were far easier to afford in those days, than they are now when it's not unusual for properties to be 8 - 10 times the average salary.

My parents are certainly guilty of cherry picking facts when talking about my, and younger, generations. Pointing out the hardships they had, whilst ignoring the good things they had.

I think a lot cherry pick their memories. I was born in 51 and am glad I was. I certainly think I had the best of it in terms of "my era".

I think a lot cherry pick their memories. I was born in 51 and am glad I was. I certainly think I had the best of it in terms of "my era".

I loved the 60s 70s and 80s the best, as there was so much things to do. Taking photos way back then was fun, no mistrust and everyone wanted their photo taken. :)

You realise you are old, when you get ages wrong on ITV's the chase. I game me and the missus play, between ourselves. When contestants introduce themselves and give their age. They look old, but they are the age of our children. o_O
Some people just don't age very well. Whilst others don't look their age.

People seem to embrace being old. I tend to ignore. Once you acknowledge it it's got you.

Gary player was asked the secret to his relative youthfulness. He said "don't let the old man in" . Spot on.

Me and the missus laugh and joke, as though we are teenagers. We realise we are old when we see photos of our grandchildren, as they are adults now. o_O

People seem to embrace being old. I tend to ignore. Once you acknowledge it it's got you.

Gary player was asked the secret to his relative youthfulness. He said "don't let the old man in" . Spot on.

I think I am turning into Victor Meldrew, possibly just the very early stages. ;)

And the fact that property was far far cheaper as a multiple of wages, so it was easier to buy a property which then multiplied in value, reducing living costs for that generation, and in itself becoming a provision for old age.

That is of course, not to say that all pensioners are well off. But certain things were far easier to afford in those days, than they are now when it's not unusual for properties to be 8 - 10 times the average salary..

Higher house prices are offset by the much lower interest rates available at the moment. A month after we started our mortgage payments the interest rate went up to over 15%.

My son and his girlfriend took out their mortgage 17 months ago, about 5 times their combined wages, they aren't struggling, not by a long shot.

Me and the missus laugh and joke, as though we are teenagers. We realise we are old when we see photos of our grandchildren, as they are adults now. o_O

Other than silver white hair, I don't think I look my age, the grey hair started in my 20's anyway. Going to the gym and keeping fit generally helps. I tend to forget how old I am most of the time. There is a bloke at work, we all figured he was in his early 60's, I certainly thought he was older than me, turns out he is 52 and 5years younger than me.

Higher house prices are offset by the much lower interest rates available at the moment. A month after we started our mortgage payments the interest rate went up to over 15%.

My son and his girlfriend took out their mortgage 17 months ago, about 5 times their combined wages, they aren't struggling, not by a long shot.

Not if you can't get the mortgage in the first place they don't.

Not if you can't get the mortgage in the first place they don't.
So you keep saving up a deposit until you can get one. That's what people generally do. Worked for my parents, worked for me, my sister, my son.

They shouldn't have. They should have been furloughed and should be receiving 80% of the monthly wage upto £2.5I. If they are fortunate some employers are paying the extra 20%.
Not if you changed jobs and didnt receive a payment from your new employer prior to the 19th March. I have 4 people in that position and none can go back to the previous employer and ask to be added on thier scheme for a number of reasons. There are also a lot that were not employed - self employed cant claim till June and if they only paid the 12K tax free amount and then dividends as a lot do then they will only be able to claim the based on £1k a month.

Other than silver white hair, I don't think I look my age, the grey hair started in my 20's anyway. Going to the gym and keeping fit generally helps. I tend to forget how old I am most of the time. There is a bloke at work, we all figured he was in his early 60's, I certainly thought he was older than me, turns out he is 52 and 5years younger than me.

I don't consider myself old. I describe others as it though. Ev. " There was some silly old bugger behind me in the queue" , then realise they're obviously younger than me.
Im 68 now and still play golf in regular comps. Rather than the seniors comps which I became eligible for when 55.

Not if you changed jobs and didnt receive a payment from your new employer prior to the 19th March. I have 4 people in that position and none can go back to the previous employer and ask to be added on thier scheme for a number of reasons. There are also a lot that were not employed - self employed cant claim till June and if they only paid the 12K tax free amount and then dividends as a lot do then they will only be able to claim the based on £1k a month.
If they weren't employed, that will be the reason they can't pay rent/mortgage etc. Nothing to do with age.

and yet they still keep building more and more houses on green fields, someone must be buying them
It all depends when and where you look.

House prices in London averaged just under 5x median incomes in 1990. By 1994, the recession had reduced prices in London to under 3x. London house prices then exploded, hitting 5x in 2002; 7x in 2007; dropping back to just over 5x in 2009 before ramping up steadily to over 10x in 2017.

However, in the north prices stood at 3x in 1990; dropped to roughly 2x by 1995; grew slowly to just over 4x in 2007 before dropping back to hover just over 3x from 2009 to 2017.

Source: https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5568/housing/uk-house-price-affordability/

There’s been lots of redundancies. I doubt these people are able to get much at the moment. There’s plenty of self-employed getting not a lot of help either. There’s a payment due in June but for the bills that need paying now, it’s stressful. I know because my income has reduced by 100% virtually overnight. There’s plenty of people not having the luxury of being furloughed.

There appears to be a fair bit of bitterness in this thread . And lots of quotes of figures and stats etc . Trouble is not everyone’s life style curve is taken into account , divorces, redundancies, periods of unemployment in the 70’s and 80’s and 90’s will all have upset the quoted figures . Some rose above it some didn’t

And lots of quotes of figures and stats etc
I believe that discussing these matters without looking at the numbers makes it difficult to tell reality from fantasy.

I can't believe my luck, has anyone got some salt and vinegar? The local chippy has been shut since lockdown and here I am apparently surrounded by the chips from people's shoulders! ;)

Poor little lambs, they're getting called names... like we did when we started work and hadn't got into the work ethic or found our feet. I recall the older generation rolling their eyes at times and tut tutting at the way our generation behaved when we were young. And so it goes on. Does that make it wrong? Hell, no! It's the way of the world, it's part of growing up; and looking back, I think it helps you to grow. I'm sure I'd have turned out much the worse if I'd not occasionally had the 'You're not on with that' type comment from one of my older work colleagues or relatives. It might sting a bit at the time (particularly if deep down you know they were probably right!), but if you can lean from it, then you'll grow.

As for youngsters these days not being able to afford a deposit for a house, let's look at that. Do they work and save hard, or is it usual these days to expect to go to university and study until you're in your early to mid 20s? Is it usual these days to expect at least one, probably two continental holidays per year costing several hundred pounds or more? Is it usual these days to expect to have a cooker, fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, fitted carpets, curtains, a TV in at least 3 rooms, iPads, and a new smartphone costing hundreds of pounds each year or so, etc.? After all, if you can't afford it, then just put it on a credit card or get a loan, what could possibly go wrong with doing that?

When our parents or grandparents saved up to buy a house they stayed in and saved (once they'd finished 2 years of doing National Service and got a job that is), and they might have had a week at the UK seaside with their friends once a year, if they needed a holiday and could afford it. When they finally did save enough money to get a home of their own (usually before they got married and started having children) there was most likely no fridge, fitted carpets, central heating, washing machine, etc. Once again, they saved up and bought these 'luxuries' as they went along. These days such things are seen as a 'right' not a luxury!

So don't have a go at the older generation, it wasn't all hugs and puppies for them, despite what some people would have you believe. Living out of wedlock was seen as a sin, and woe betide any young woman who got herself pregnant (yes, that was the term!) before getting married. Families had to move house because of 'shame' like that... and how many 'mothers' actually turned out to be the child's grandmother when it all came out, after trying to save their family and daughter the shame?

Yes, those times have pretty much gone, but you can't expect people who grew up in that era to have automatic sympathy for the 'youngsters of today' when they see just how much freedom and luxury they apparently have. So please don't have a go at them.

The grass may always look greener on the other side of the fence, but a bit of understanding on both sides may be the best colour correction filter.

Last edited:
I'm laughing at all the snowflakes on here getting all het up ..

The term has been used for years, by people of all ages... to describe "sensitive little souls" ( the forerunner of Snowflake) Its only more recently has "Generation" been added.
So as above anyone of any generation can be a snowflake ...

It's not quite the same though, we're not allowed beat up our kids like our parents used to so they are a lot softer these days :ROFLMAO:

It's not quite the same though, we're not allowed beat up our kids like our parents used to so they are a lot softer these days :ROFLMAO:
Look on the bright side, in that case at least they won't turn round and punch your lights out as soon as they get big enough! ;)

I can't believe my luck, has anyone got some salt and vinegar? The local chippy has been shut since lockdown and here I am apparently surrounded by the chips from people's shoulders! ;)

Poor little lambs, they're getting called names... like we did when we started work and hadn't got into the work ethic or found our feet. I recall the older generation rolling their eyes at times and tut tutting at the way our generation behaved when we were young. And so it goes on. Does that make it wrong? Hell, no! It's the way of the world, it's part of growing up; and looking back, I think it helps you to grow. I'm sure I'd have turned out much the worse if I'd not occasionally had the 'You're not on with that' type comment from one of my older work colleagues or relatives. It might sting a bit at the time (particularly if deep down you know they were probably right!), but if you can lean from it, then you'll grow.

As for youngsters these days not being able to afford a deposit for a house, let's look at that. Do they work and save hard, or is it usual these days to expect to go to university and study until you're in your early to mid 20s? Is it usual these days to expect at least one, probably two continental holidays per year costing several hundred pounds or more? Is it usual these days to expect to have a cooker, fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, fitted carpets, curtains, a TV in at least 3 rooms, iPads, and a new smartphone costing hundreds of pounds each year or so, etc.? After all, if you can't afford it, then just put it on a credit card or get a loan, what could possibly go wrong with doing that?

When our parents or grandparents saved up to buy a house they stayed in and saved (once they'd finished 2 years of doing National Service and got a job that is), and they might have had a week at the UK seaside with their friends once a year, if they needed a holiday and could afford it. When they finally did save enough money to get a home of their own (usually before they got married and started having children) there was most likely no fridge, fitted carpets, central heating, washing machine, etc. Once again, they saved up and bought these 'luxuries' as they went along. These days such things are seen as a 'right' not a luxury!

So don't have a go at the older generation, it wasn't all hugs and puppies for them, despite what some people would have you believe. Living out of wedlock was seen as a sin, and woe betide any young woman who got herself pregnant (yes, that was the term!) before getting married. Families had to move house because of 'shame' like that... and how many 'mothers' actually turned out to be the child's grandmother when it all came out, after trying to save their family and daughter the shame?

Yes, those times have pretty much gone, but you can't expect people who grew up in that era to have automatic sympathy for the 'youngsters of today' when they see just how much freedom and luxury they apparently have. So please don't have a go at them.

The grass may always look greener on the other side of the fence, but a bit of understanding on both sides may be the best colour correction filter.

Excellent post! (y)

Poor little lambs, they're getting called names... like we did when we started work and hadn't got into the work ethic or found our feet. I recall the older generation rolling their eyes at times and...

I remember getting a job in a commercial vehicle repairs, and the bosses and mechanics would be very abusive towards me. I would get all the nasty jobs, fetching and carrying, making the tea, sweeping the floor. It's what was expected of the newbie. They would do silly things such as soak hand cleaning rags into old engine oil, and try and smear it all over my face, while the bosses looked on laughing. The newbie would be the butt of all jokes, and there was nothing you could do about it, other than leave, which I did.

Imagine trying to treat a newbie at a job like that today, they would never get away with it.

When I was a kid everyone beat me up, the teacher would give me a thump for not getting a sum right. A passing copper would stop his car and give me a dig, and call me some vulgar names. Get a thumping from a parent, as I got home a little late as I had no bus fare, as school bullies had robbed my money. o_O

You forgot the ones that were wrecked on acid and pot, others were football hooligans and enjoyed trips abroad smashing up Europe.
Some took part in that fun sport of paki or queer bashing, then we had rockers, teds, skins and greasers who also enjoyed a spot of violence
They didn't all sit at home diligently saving for that two up two down, looking back with rose tinteds a bit there I think

It is funny to think that the old folk of today, were the thugs and scoundrels of yesteryear. o_O

I was a headbanger, non violent lot who just wanted to rock with the new heavy metal sound from Sabbath, Purple and others in the 70's
(still am, but without the barnet these days)

Last edited:
I was a headbanger, non violent lot who just wanted to rock with the new heavy metal sound from Sabbath, Purple and others in the 70's

I was more into mod two tone ska kinda stuff, although I did not get involved in events, only bought the stuff. :)

I was more into mod two tone ska kinda stuff, although I did not get involved in events, only bought the stuff. :)
That was a popular sound, some of the skins were into that music too
I went to gigs at places like the Rainbow,Hammersmith Odeon, Roundhouse and local East End pubs
Also a strange heavy rock sort of disco called the Soundhouse in Kingsbury

As for youngsters these days not being able to afford a deposit for a house, let's look at that. Do they work and save hard, or is it usual these days to expect to go to university and study until you're in your early to mid 20s?

Yes many do work hard. And yes many go to university, which they pay for, unlike older generations.

What's more likely to make it difficult to buy a house:

1. An anecdote about youngsters being lazy and expecting everytyhing handed to them, OR:
  2. The fact that house prices are now 8 to 10 times the average salary even in modestly priced locations.
Now it used to be that a household with a single income could easily buy a house, now it's often a struggle for households with two full-time wages because of crippling rent, the requirement for massive deposits and stringent lending rules on mortgages combined with sky-high property values that mean it's impossible for them to get on the property ladder. The only clear route people have onto the property ladder without high paying jobs now, is inheritance or money from parents.

Do people choose to buy luxuries? Sure. But if you're working your arse off on minimum wage and earning £18K a year, but your rent and council tax is close to £1000 of your take-home pay, but you need to save £20,000 to buy a house: I can certainly see why people think "well that's never gonna happen, might as well have some luxuries".

You say your parents saved to buy a house, they stayed in and saved?

Sure. But the entire house was maybe 1 - 2 times their salary.

Now a deposit is likely to be an entire years salary.

So staying in and saving for a *deposit* is the equivalent of your parents staying in and saving until they could buy an entire house. How long do you think that would take now?

Yes many do work hard. And yes many go to university, which they pay for, unlike older generations.

What's more likely to make it difficult to buy a house:

1. An anecdote about youngsters being lazy and expecting everytyhing handed to them, OR:
  2. The fact that house prices are now 8 to 10 times the average salary even in modestly priced locations.
Now it used to be that a household with a single income could easily buy a house, now it's often a struggle for households with two full-time wages because of crippling rent, the requirement for massive deposits and stringent lending rules on mortgages combined with sky-high property values that mean it's impossible for them to get on the property ladder. The only clear route people have onto the property ladder without high paying jobs now, is inheritance or money from parents.

Do people choose to buy luxuries? Sure. But if you're working your arse off on minimum wage and earning £18K a year, but your rent and council tax is close to £1000 of your take-home pay, but you need to save £20,000 to buy a house: I can certainly see why people think "well that's never gonna happen, might as well have some luxuries".

You say your parents saved to buy a house, they stayed in and saved?

Sure. But the entire house was maybe 1 - 2 times their salary.

Now a deposit is likely to be an entire years salary.

So staying in and saving for a *deposit* is the equivalent of your parents staying in and saving until they could buy an entire house. How long do you think that would take now?

My daughter went to university (first one from my family) saved for a deposit and this week completed on a nice bungalow at just under 29.
It can still be done on your own if you are sensible, her phone is a few generations back and car is a five years old small hatchback
Admittedly doesn't drink or smoke which helps, but has had some decent holidays and fair few meals out
No inheritance or money from us although we didn't take any housekeeping, our small way of helping her get started.
Very proud of her, just a shame she can't get moved in properly

Back