weekly Thirsty's TP 52 challenge for 2016 - Week 52 Celebration

Dangerous. I agree with DK re the floating feel, but love the choice of props....Right on theme.

Topical...Again, nicely set up and executed.

Danger - I certainly wouldn't want to snack on that little lot
Topical - nicely set up and right on theme

I really like the Spiky shot Nigel, they are very interesting objects.
The bottom row are not quite horizontal, but the top row is, so I assume you had to choose one or the other (unless you were going to start transforming the image).

Likey da spikey! Excellently presented, the converging lines giving the prospective.

I'm Lichen the moss and erm lichen image, :D loads of interesting detail Nigel (y)

Spiky, slots right in there as well :)

That is an excellent find for the theme Nigel - those sharp spiky points so closely clustered make that an evil looking deterrent. Looks great in b&w. :clap:

Hi Nigel... living world definitely works - shallowed DOF also helps pull you in. Lighting is pleasing too. Only thought would be to tweak the focal point so the branch stub is also in focus - it's almost on a third and make an interesting contrast between dead and living for the theme? Good shot mind.

I like the contrast and subject in spiky. I'll be honest and say the background is verging on a touch cluttered but it's not overly distracting and you've done well with the conversion (or selecting what would actually be in the background) to get that back-on-white contrast between FG and BG. Another good one!

Spiky's intriguing ... high security on the eastern front or xmas decs? :)

Living world- I like colours of the moss and lichen against the oof background. I see what susie means about a fairytale world.

Spiky. That is very spiky I assume it's a security fence I vote we stay this side.

I really like the Spiky shot Nigel, maybe I would crop the top a little to get rid of the top left. lichen and moss for Living world is a good idea

A really nice image Nigel - striking colour against that plain white bg. :clap:

Really nicely done Nigel!

I've tried this a few times, and always failed to get anything remotely useable.

Hi Nigel - nicely captured. Bit of lightfield action going on there? ;)

The background blows very slightly on my monitor, but that could be a calibration problem for me. Very well captured and I like the composition a lot. Cannot fault the lighting (although you have a tiny amount of reflection on the very edges which might be because you're shooting in a room with white walls etc.?)

Dangerous - perfectly lit, nice good black background, board does look floaty, but the brights colours of the chilliest works well.

Topical - on theme, but I feel there's maybe a better composition in there somewhere.

Living world - bang on for the theme, like all the different textures in the image.

Spiky - bang on for the theme, think the b&w works for the image.

Artificial - great shot, lovely swirly patterns from the red stuff, very well executed.

Last edited:
Both good concepts for the themes Nigel and both using DoF effectively. Like the POV of Effort, nice and sharp where it matters.

Personal is a cracker - looks like it could be in a magazine :clap: Depth of field and glasses lens just working well together there.

Effort is nicely put together - that rare instance when cropping someone's feet is precisely the right thing to do! :) I wonder if slightly less central composition would work as well?

Artificial - great shot I like the shapes the red has made.
Personal - I like the use of the glasses great idea
Effort - I agree it would be nice to see the soil being lifted but good pov

Personal - Really like it the use of the glasses is brilliant love the composition and the DOF really works

Effort - I like the POV but agree maybe better if there was some disturbed soil

Love your Personal shot Nigel really nicely composed, you're making me feel hungry :)

Hope lots of digging continued for Effort ....I like the close up, but would maybe have liked to see a bit of turned earth.

Thanks, was pleased with how the personal shot came out.

Both good concepts for the themes Nigel and both using DoF effectively. Like the POV of Effort, nice and sharp where it matters.

Thank Carl,

Personal is a cracker - looks like it could be in a magazine :clap: Depth of field and glasses lens just working well together there.

Effort is nicely put together - that rare instance when cropping someone's feet is precisely the right thing to do! :) I wonder if slightly less central composition would work as well?

Thanks Paul, took me a while to get the comp right but think it works well. See what you mean about the effort shot, think your right it might work better less central.

Artificial - great shot I like the shapes the red has made.
Personal - I like the use of the glasses great idea
Effort - I agree it would be nice to see the soil being lifted but good pov

Personal - Really like it the use of the glasses is brilliant love the composition and the DOF really works

Effort - I like the POV but agree maybe better if there was some disturbed soil

Thanks for the comments, know what you mean about the soil thou, wasn't sure if my girlfriend had planted anything so didn't want to risk it :).

Nigel Hi,

Really like your personal theme. Good idea and completely different form everyone else's. DoF is spot on and nice and sharp.

Effort is also a well thought out image, like the framing and the DoF. Colours are good too.

Technology - super idea and really like the viewpoint. Nice sky too.

Back