Thomas Heaton

If he's genuinely as popular as he seems to be, he probably only needs to hint at a change of system and a new one will appear on his doorstep.........;)

It would seem that may have already happened

He credits the hire company in the 'show notes' or whatever they are called.

If you watch carefully at @6:21 there is a "hire a camera" sticker on the nikon he was shooting with so no, nikon haven't given him a D850.
We'll, if the hire company have given him a free hire period, it may well have already happened [emoji6][emoji106] (you'll note I said 'may have' in my previous post, and this one, not 'already has' [emoji6])

Also, where did I say that Nikon have given him new kit? The post I replied to didn't even infer that, you've added that part.

Last edited:
We'll, if the hire company have given him a free hire period, it may well have already happened [emoji6][emoji106] (you'll note I said 'may have' in my previous post, and this one, not 'already has' [emoji6])

Also, where did I say that Nikon have given him new kit? The post I replied to didn't even infer that, you've added that part.

Geez, Keep your knickers on.
Why is everyone so sensitive on this forum?

Last edited:
Surprised no-one here is screaming his name that he's got a GFX50 to try out just now.

Surprised no-one here is screaming his name that he's got a GFX50 to try out just now.

I thought the previous video with his experience of the Nikon D850 and the view that that Canon 5Div had a better dynamic range would of stirred this thread back into life.

Perhaps being the season of goodwill people are being nice :D

Has anyone seen his latest video? Seems he's been a bit down in the dumps about his channel and has promised to go back to where it all started. The newest video is just him out in the lakes. No excessive music and drone footage. Just the sound of the outdoors.

I'm pleased he's promised to go back to the channel I originally subscribed to. I was losing interest in the over produced advertising vlogs that seem to be common now.

Has anyone seen his latest video? Seems he's been a bit down in the dumps about his channel and has promised to go back to where it all started. The newest video is just him out in the lakes. No excessive music and drone footage. Just the sound of the outdoors.
I'm pleased he's promised to go back to the channel I originally subscribed to. I was losing interest in the over produced advertising vlogs that seem to be common now.

I think he drifted away from what he originally wanted to vlog about, ie landscape photography and got caught up with new gear to try. But that's just like the rest of us, we get excited about new gear and temporarily forget that it's about making images.
Personally I don't mind well produced (some may say over produced) videos, I work in broadcasting, so I appreciate the time, skill and effort that goes into those higher production values.
I think it's his subject matter that was causing him problems because he wasn't that into it, rather than the production values.

It was good to see him out and about and taking his time getting a shot he was happy with.

As you've both just said, I don't mind slightly over produced, don't mind drone footage and a little music but i like the content to be about the adventure of going outdoors! The challenges, the weather, the planning, the shot, thinking on the move when things don't plan out.......

I think he genuinely thought sharing his gear woes and decisions with us was the right thing to do because it's all related really but alas...... I'm glad he's back on track.

Hadn’t watched him for the last month or two, so glad he’s going back to ‘his roots’. That’s what makes him unique and made his channel grow in the first place.

I think that getting a camera like the Fuji then filming a vlog saying that you haven't even read the manual was always going to cause problems. Yes, we've all done. Got new gear and said sod the manual but you'll find that you always end up needing the manual for something and especially so when changing systems.

Does gear matter? At some point the gear will actually matter. I know when I first joined an image library called Photo Library you couldn't join unless you had a full-frame camera with quality lenses. I saw a friend in Florence earlier this year that produces video content. he said that if he turned up at places with certain pieces of gear he'd be laughed out of the contract.

Reading through the comments on his day out with the Fuji it's probably been a kick in the teeth to him. There is a massive amount of negativity that he attracted for uploading that video. Yes, he said he wasn't doing a regular review but documenting what he did was not a good idea.

I guess for him the recent gear episodes seemed like a good idea. I can only imagine how many times he must get asked “what do you think about the SoCaNikon EOSAD whatever” that he thought why not give a try. As well as this, his whole page has been about sharing his thoughts and experiences that the reviews of the EOS R/D850/GFX50R were merely an extension of this. Personally though there are enough people like the the Northrups talking about gear and I like Thomas for the way he talks about his experience in the field, sharing his thought process and creative vision, explaining how he got the shot.

I'm really glad he has identified the problems his channel was facing and is looking to change direction. For the last few months he just hasn't done enough pure photography for me i.e. just going out & taking pictures.

I think in part it's due to his popularity
- he is more busy now therefore less time to go out and shoot for himself
- he covers more stuff which isn't "pure photography" (some is good, but he needs to get the balance right)
- the need for scheduling videos - he released a video recently where we didn't even seen the image he took...I 100% understand his reasoning for this but perhaps there's no need to upload a video if the trip was that much of a bust?

Anyway I really liked his latest video, and looking forward to him getting back to his roots :)

I watched his vlog about the D850, and TBH he's just not technically able enough to intelligently review equipment. Not that he's dumb - far from it - but returning to what he's good at is a far better idea, and for the kind of images he takes having the latest equipment really isn't important.

Only Thomas Heaton can say what his original reasoning for having a YT channel and the content he put on it in the first place. From reading some of the comments above it seems that TH has been getting a lot of negative comments about some of the videos he has posted. I generally watch YT on a TV so don't see comments, and am not really interested in what others think of something. Now he says that he had been unhappy with some of the content he had been posting. :thinking: I must say he was hiding putting out content he wasn't happy with very well. ;)

I like(d) the variety what he does, choosing locations, getting to locations, composition reasoning, camera settings and filter choices, but as a Pro Photographer there was also other things that entered his videos too, be that him being on workshops rather than alone in the wild, or speaking at events. Whilst gear has never been an emphasis of his site, just as in most photographers lives, gear changes happen from time to time, cameras, lenses, filters, tripods, printers, print papers and in his case a camper van, so I didn't see what the problem was with talking about it. If it helped someone make a choice, or not, to change to something, then it would have been a worthwhile posting. Now for some they don't want to see any of the latter, but as a eye into a photographers life I have found his YT channel my favourite of the genre. If he is not enthusiastic or comfortable in covering various subjects than that is up to him of course. Just like photography, the first person, and some would say the only person you need to please is yourself. ;) As a 'Pro', with an audience, that can sometimes not be the most important factor. :rolleyes:

I also had no problem with not always getting an image as he mentioned, because that is what sometimes happens to a lot of people. As with a lot of people's posts on social media sites, you probably get an overly positive view of someone's 'life', so showing the ups and downs made it a bit more 'real' to me, and I hope that stays the same. Just because there is not an amazing, or very good, image at the end does not mean the journey was a wasted one. It is always nice to show why the image may not have been a keeper though, rather than not showing an image at all. :rolleyes: ;)

It will be interesting to see what changes from now on going forward. His video talking about this decision to change seemed to be overly slow and ponderous to me, maybe because of the confusion he said he has been going through with the direction from what he started out to do, what he had changed, and what he plans to do in the future, or maybe to emphasize the change, or both. It certainly seemed to be a sudden decision from just watching most of his previous vids. :eek:

I think that you have to understand the draw of living your dream. Having as many subscribers as he does will earn him a tidy sum each month just in YouTube advertising. Add in sponsorship from Squarespace and it's quite an easy life in some respects. Committing to two vlogs a week is an undertaking as you have to have the material to go along with it which is probably where the idea of switching camera systems came in.

But you also to have to understand another reason behind two vlogs a week at a particular time. It all comes down to YouTube algorithms and you the viewers. It is subconscious. Those of you that enjoy what he does know that, just like your favourite TV program, Thomas Heaton will be on the box at a particular time each week to entertain you. If you sit and watch a lot of people who teach YouTube you'll see that is one of the things you do to grow an audience. It isn't all about the photography it is also about knowing how YouTube works and as such is part of the job.

These days those of us that make our money through photography have to have many different hats on to ensure that the bills get paid. Photographer is, maybe to some of you, quite surprisingly down the list as having to do social media and whatever else encroaches on our time when we actually create.

I watched his vlog about the D850, and TBH he's just not technically able enough to intelligently review equipment. Not that he's dumb - far from it - but returning to what he's good at is a far better idea, and for the kind of images he takes having the latest equipment really isn't important.

I agree with you on that, I like Thomas and his youtube channel is great, but that particular video is the only one I've watched where I've thought it a waste of time really. I just don't think it worked at all, I could see what he was trying to do but it just didn't work.

I’ve just watched his latest video where he apologises for his latest content and I have to say, it was quite inspirational in itself. Hearing him talking about the pressures of trying to creat e the perfect image and looking for that one shot and becoming more and more frustrated when it doesnt happen. I think it is something that we can all relate to, I know I do. In fact looking back it has been the main reasons for me losing my mojo on occasion.

All to often I have put so much pressure on myself to make time to get out with the camera, when I’m focusing so hard to ensure that I get the image so the trip hasn’t been wasted. Then when inevitably it hasn’t happened I’ve become frustrated and lost the passion. The way Thomas talked about simply going out enjoying a coffee and a stroll, resonated to me personally as this is the approach I have now taken. Since moving to mirrorless my kit is smaller and lighter, gone are the heavy f2.8 lens in favour of smaller f4 or even prime lens. Now I go for a walk with the family and the dog, my camera along with a 16-35 f4 and a small 55mm prime and if something catches my eye then great. If not I’m enjoying the fantastic weather (I love drizzly and grey) and great scenery. As a secondary benefit to the change in my thought process, my GAS has subsided. As I am no longer frustrated by my images, I have stopped thinking that the gear will help me to get them. I am still tempted every now and again by shiny new things (who isn’t) however I haven’t bought any new lenses this year, the only thing I have bought was a Godox AD200 back in March as I wanted to get the perfect shot (still waiting).

Anyways back to the point of the thread, I for one am pleased to see Tom getting back to his old style

Maybe in the not too distant future there will be a University course with "Thomas Heaton Studies" as one of its modules.....;)

It’s not beyond reason. TH is using social media and his chosen medium to great effect and would probably be an inspiration to a modern media-driven student. The question you probably need to ask is whether there will ever be a uni module devoted to jerry12953.

I think some people's interpretations of what Thomas Heaton's channel is about are a bit misguided. Thomas does take good, and sometimes great/fantastic images, but he'd probably be the first to say that there are other photographers who have a better natural ability than him.

It isn't all about the photographs he presents. It's the way he has captured a social media audience with his persona, charisma and video editing style - the photos on top are the cherry on the cake.

For all the subscribers he has he's doing a good job of marketing himself as he intends to do.

It’s not beyond reason. TH is using social media and his chosen medium to great effect and would probably be an inspiration to a modern media-driven student. The question you probably need to ask is whether there will ever be a uni module devoted to jerry12953.

Almost certainly not......!

He was getting grief in the comments because whether he likes it or lumps it he's in a position of influence now, and is there to be shot at/scrutanised (which I'm sure he realises). Going down the road of gear reviews when it's plain to see he has neither the knowledge or the passion to do them just comes across as clickbait, which unfortunately for him in this instance viewers see right through.

Anyone who has the kind of following he has is going to come under scrutiny - if you knock out a half-arsed review when a company loans you £6k worth of medium format gear without even reading the manual even more so. It smacks of at best laziness and at worst complacency and incompentence.

He's a competent landscaper who gained success through telling a story people could relate to and inspiring folk to get outside, it's good that he's realised that as that's what made his earlier videos enjoyable.

I think he’s suffering from producing two videos per week on top of the actual photography, editing and other admin he’ll have to do. You can only keep that up for so long without suffering burnout, I thought he looked knackered in his latest vlog. Probably better for him and his viewers if he concentrates on quality not quantity, I do find at his best his vlogs are inspiring

I think he’s suffering from producing two videos per week on top of the actual photography, editing and other admin he’ll have to do. You can only keep that up for so long without suffering burnout, I thought he looked knackered in his latest vlog. Probably better for him and his viewers if he concentrates on quality not quantity, I do find at his best his vlogs are inspiring

And I mentioned this a few weeks ago and got hammered...

There is only so much material that you can kick out out when you're doing two vlogs a week and not extensively travelling.

And I mentioned this a few weeks ago and got hammered...

There is only so much material that you can kick out out when you're doing two vlogs a week and not extensively travelling.
And I think I said this earlier too, how do you know how much or little he is travelling! :thinking: And it is not as if he has to travel far to get pictures of landscapes, as he has shown before. :rolleyes:

The two a week posting is a self inflicted schedule by him. Sure, there are benefits with the Google/YT optimisation to regular and frequent postings, but putting out poor content could impact a channels popularity more. So far I haven't seen the quality or enjoyability(imho) of what he puts out fall so far.

And I think I said this earlier too, how do you know how much or little he is travelling! :thinking: And it is not as if he has to travel far to get pictures of landscapes, as he has shown before. :rolleyes:

The two a week posting is a self inflicted schedule by him. Sure, there are benefits with the Google/YT optimisation to regular and frequent postings, but putting out poor content could impact a channels popularity more. So far I haven't seen the quality or enjoyability(imho) of what he puts out fall so far.

How do I know? Given his schedule of uploading vlogs I would suspect it's a pretty fair assumption that he will vlog when he goes off somewhere. Think about it. Two vlogs a week. That is likely to mean that two days a week are the filming. Probably two days a week editing. Doesn't leave much free time for home life. I know exactly what it's like doing this as a job and know exactly how little free time you get to yourself.

As far as quality you only have to read the comments on the Fuji vlog where he is with Brendan Van Son as to what other felt about it. Some of them are brutal and really lay into him for uploading that video.

Reviving this thread, slightly OT but not that much since they do collaborations but does anyone follow fototripper, aka Gavin Hardcastle?

I've just started watching his own videos after watching some of the videos now on Thomas Heaton's channel with him.

Have to say I do find him funny. And some of his videos have quite good tips in, learnt a few things in one of his waterfall videos. Tresmendous! :D

Back