Tillys 52 for 2017 Week 52 Weather

Nice detail. The compo is good but I'd like to see a little more (maybe 50% more!) water RHS, giving her space to lean into.

And I would like to see more above..... you can't win :ROFLMAO: well spotted for the theme though

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on different ways I could have cropped the shot. I can't crop it to show more water on either the side or to as the image is pretty much as I shot it. I only cropped out some sand at the bottom. I guess it's a good job I like the image as it is then :). Thanks again for the input guys

I was going to suggest a crop so boat isn't so central but then I read the other comments and clearly no one can agree on the crop :D it's a nice photo and a good take on the theme.

Last edited:
£18 for the lens... Looks like you got a bargain. That looks spot on for sharpness and detail.
Good use of complimentary colours with the red and green.
Composition wise, I'm going to disagree with the lot of them and say you need to turn in through 180' so that the water is at the top ;)
You could crop in at the bottom left giving the impression of there being more at the top and more at the left for the boat to lean into possibly to satisfy d00d, Chris, Susie & Allan, but if it's how you want it to look, then leave it alone, as you're the one who needs to be happy with it :)

Thanks for the comments and the suggestions Tim. What do you mean by turning it 180? Sorry I'm still learning as this :). I'll have a look at cropping the bottom and left all though to see if I like how it looks

Last edited:
:) I thought u were joking Tim but thought I'd check. Thanks for the advice on constrain proportions I'll see if I can find it on my software

I don't mind it as it is and think that the two clumps of green give it a nice composition. Odd numbers normally work better than evens. So your little triangle works well.

Week 45 Height and Re-Shoot
Didn't have chance to get out much this week because of the weather so had to make do with a shot I took the other week while at the seaside for height which I thought of using for colourful and one of my colourful fish for the re-shoot. Neither are anything special its just what I've got
Crane by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Swordtail 2 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Thanks for the comments guys. I know what u mean about the fish shot, I took several shots but never really got one I liked. Good job they're in my living room so I can easily practice taking shots of them :)

Hi Tilz,

Height - Liking the colours in the crane shot, the yellow works well against the blue.
You need to have a look at the verticals though. The crane is leaning and the building more so.
You're always going to get something off vertical with the perspective you're using, but the crane itself, I feel, should be upright.

Colourful - Orange and green are good contrasting colours. It's not sharp though. Still, PABD and onto the next one :)

It's the thing with doing a 52, compromises. They are both on theme and do the job, so onwards and upwards (height pun intended :))

Height - at least you got some blue sky, nice contrast with the crane.

Colourful - Good colours and no reflections from glass. Focus seems to be on lower leaf rather than fish, I know I've struggled with aquarium shots and focus.

Week 46 Remote
Took this one and edited on my phone as I didn't have my camera with me whilst camping at the weekend. I was surprised by the amount I could do with the software on the phone. I could have waited till I got home to process the shot but decided to use what I had at the time
Remote Cabin by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Its almost Hansel and Gretel like, very definitely remote well spotted and a good subject for the theme

Shot through the trees like that I think adds to the remoteness, well seen

Remote
I could live in a place like that. Surrounded by trees and no neighbours.

Thanks for the comments guys. There's a few of these guys in the woods we were in, we were staying in one actually. It was a hard shot to get right as none of the trees were growing straight so getting the shot level was trickier than normal

Remote - and even a little menacing, could see this as a still from a thriller ....

Week 47 Build
This is a shot of the parts of my R/C cars transmission after I'd done a re-build on the diff which is the part in the middle. I then had to re-build the car ready to be raced on Friday night
Re-Build by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Good idea for the theme, I'd have been tempted to clone out the bright area at the top right (or block it out with something dark before taking the shot).

Thanks for the comment Chris and the advice about the top right corner. It would look better cloned out thanks for mentioning it. I'd been concentrating on the centre of the shot and not even noticed it, what can I say it's been a long week :)

Remote... a good one. A little more of the desolate surroundings (if possible) would add to the remoteness. But, still, works well. (y)

Build ... good idea for the theme. I do think you could have got in closer to those working parts, eliminating distant BG altogether.

I'm not sure a closer crop is needed. As you say, a little clone work to replace the bright rhs would be a simple improvement.
I thought it had the look of a gearbox when I looked at the main thread. :)

Build
Good idea, a little lifting of the shadows would help or a reflector to bounce some light back onto the components.

Thanks for the comment Chris, I had our on a couple of deferent coloured chopping mats and liked the green most

Back