weekly Treehugger81 - 2012 - 52 Week Challenge - Week 8 - Money (added late)

Thanks for your comments Alan and Marsha. Ive taken your critique on board and here are a couple of edits.

MG_3626-1.jpg

Heres a square edit that gets rid of the right had side that had not a lot in it. I think it looks a bit tight and the fencing takes up too much of the shot.

MG_3626-1-2.jpg

Here I removed the outside fence struts and cropped a little extra of the right hand side to try and focus attention on the centre of the image. Not sure which one out of the three I prefer. :shrug: :bang: lol

Hi Phil,

I like your tree root shot for secure, nice lighting and it's very interesting and unusual.
Of your three industry shots, I prefer the first one. The 2 crops for me draws too much attention to the fence rather than away from it.

Hi Phil,

I like your tree root shot for secure, nice lighting and it's very interesting and unusual.
Of your three industry shots, I prefer the first one. The 2 crops for me draws too much attention to the fence rather than away from it.

Thanks for your comments Richard. I think no.1 works better proportionally too.

I like the square edit best; works very well!

Great shot. I much prefer the first one. It kind of gives the impression that you aren't supposed to know what goes on it there..

Fear - This is a great shot and a great idea. The tones are well balanced to create a eerie feel. I'd like to see a B&W version.

Sweet - Well with that amount of work and preperation put into the pictures it can't go wrong.

Secure - You've got some very cool looking trees around your area, so why not take advantage of them. Love this shot of incredible nature. Nice balance of colours.

Sigh - Those boats do look amazing and I think a subject like that is always worth going back too and seeing how the light changes the colours and atmosphere.

Silent-Sam said:
Fear - This is a great shot and a great idea. The tones are well balanced to create a eerie feel. I'd like to see a B&W version.

Sweet - Well with that amount of work and preperation put into the pictures it can't go wrong.

Secure - You've got some very cool looking trees around your area, so why not take advantage of them. Love this shot of incredible nature. Nice balance of colours.

Sigh - Those boats do look amazing and I think a subject like that is always worth going back too and seeing how the light changes the colours and atmosphere.

Thanks for your great comments Sam. Much appreciated.

I think the looking-through-the-fence is a great idea that is begging for a stronger subject.

I think the looking-through-the-fence is a great idea that is begging for a stronger subject.

Yeah I agree Phil. Maybe I'll see what other opportunities come up during the challenge. I really like the way the images look when done like that. Thanks for commenting.

Nice addition with industry mate, I prefer the edited version.

Matt

Cheers matt.

Thanks again for all of your comments so far guys and gals. They have really helped spur me on these past couple of weeks. There has been a total lack of inspiration lately on my part and with the last 2 themes its been difficult to get something different or anything at all. Hopefully week 8 will bring us something interesting.

So here is my effort for week 7.

MG_3691-1.jpg

I had a few ideas this week but none of them came to anything and i finally settled on this shot. IMO orchids have some pretty cool looking roots. The background is a little off, that was because of me lighting the plant with my head torch in a make shift studio in my bedroom :wacky: I'm also not sure on the composition. Comments and Critique always welcome as usual. Thanks for looking.

Hi Phil....I'm with you on the lack of Inspiration over the last of couple of weeks...here's hoping tomorrow gives us a good theme (y)

Root....like it....focus just right...great detail in the roots & the leaves sort of stand out off the screen...nice shot mister (y)

Like the idea with roots, nice composition - looks a bit dark on my monitor

Hi Phil....I'm with you on the lack of Inspiration over the last of couple of weeks...here's hoping tomorrow gives us a good theme (y)

Root....like it....focus just right...great detail in the roots & the leaves sort of stand out off the screen...nice shot mister (y)

Heres hoping. I really like the the contrast of the green and black. Thanks for commenting Lynne.

Like the idea with roots, nice composition - looks a bit dark on my monitor

Cheers Gramps. It looks ok on my screen. I'll see what the general consensus is and try and sort it out if I can.

Those are nice roots. Looks like the orchid could get up and walk off.

Day of the trifids, just a bit better looking.

I agree Phil, it has a slightly sinister look about it.
I like the shadow on the background and the overall composition but I agree with Gramps on the slight dark look. It might just need a contrast boost, I am not sure :D
You were dealing with quite a dynamic range there from the white flower through dark green leaves to black background, so good work on balancing the exposure. Iain

I agree Phil, it has a slightly sinister look about it.
I like the shadow on the background and the overall composition but I agree with Gramps on the slight dark look. It might just need a contrast boost, I am not sure :D
You were dealing with quite a dynamic range there from the white flower through dark green leaves to black background, so good work on balancing the exposure. Iain

Thanks Iain. I had to under expose quite a bit because the white of the flower kept blowing. took a few attempts and a bit of tinkering in Lightroom. I'll have a shot at boosting the contrast.

Now your roots are a lot better to look at than mine! I think the composition is fine, it's lovely and sharp too(y)

Cheers Marsha very kind.

Back