weekly Treehugger81 - 2012 - 52 Week Challenge - Week 8 - Money (added late)

Bilko said:
Very good. It's not a young triffid is it? :LOL:

Thanks for commenting, it certainly looks like it could walk off.

Dark Knight said:
Industry - The first one for me Phil, works real well with the shot framed :)

Root - Really like the Edit, great looking roots, well set-up and taken (y)

Much appreciated DK cheers.

Manc Man said:
liking your root shot, very nice Phil.

Thanks Darren.

michael23 said:
very good shot for root. Not sure which version though, I like them both.

Thanks for commenting Michael. I just boosted the contrast on the second shot as it seemed to be a little dark.

Ok that's me behind for the first time this challenge I think. Been laid up with a bad back so will endeavour to get handmade and money done this week. I've got ideas for both but they both are dependent on good weather. Fingers crossed.

Hi Phil,

Playing catch up on the 52's tonight, i'm liking what I see in your thread.

Fear :- That is real spooky, I can almost see a face in the right hand tree... I think you've caught the atmosphere very well.

Sigh:- It was worth getting up at stupid o'clock to get these, I prefer the second one against the darker sky. Love the colour of the rust, no doubt emphasised by the sun rise.

Sweet:- No 1 is my favourite too, excellent idea, great composition.

Secure- Both images work well for the theme, like the second one, the roots are interesting,kind of creepy too but I like it.

Industry :- Intersting idea to use the fence as part of the shot, I like position of the fence in the second edit, the branches at the top at a bit distracting for me but I guess that's just my preference.

Root:- Another great idea from you Phil, like the way you've also caught the shadow. Well done,

All the best

Carol

Secure – Nicely lit and I think the addition of the hands adds to it

Industry – #1 for me - I like the way the fencing has created a triptych of images

Root – The colour of the background has been well chosen on this one. I like the addition of shadows which somehow add to the number of roots

That root shot is brilliant! Perfect lighting and composition.

Catch up though; come on, keep up at the back!!

I really like your root shot Phil, very nice lighting. Drawing on inspiration can be quite quite tough at times but I think it's good to be stretched at times. Don't give up matey (y)

Thanks mark and nick for your comments, I'll get there guys, just been out of action for a couple of weeks. Don't wanna fall too far behind as I'm moving house in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks mark and nick for your comments, I'll get there guys, just been out of action for a couple of weeks. Don't wanna fall too far behind as I'm moving house in a couple weeks.

I was in danger of bombing out a few weeks ago - but it's worth hanging in there. good luck with the move and I know what the pressures are (y)

Well after a couple of weeks not being able to post any new shots I feel quite refreshed and ready to get back into the challenge. May do that a few times during the challenge as I think the break has done me some good. I shot the handmade image last night and hopefully will be able to get the money pic done tonight, ready for the new theme on sat. Thanks for the support that you guys have shown. (y)

A really late post for handmade. I made this spork on my first hammocking trip, it took about 14 hours in total to get if from a piece of birch to the finished article. After taking a couple of shots I wasn't happy with the colours that's I was getting so I started playing around with the custom white balance gizmo. I think it turned out alright. Comments and critique welcome as usual.

MG_3743-1.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really good! I thnk the white balance is spot on; nice and warm without being completely yellow. Only thing might be that the candle is a little too bright and distracts from the spork, but I'm not sure what you could have done to avoid that.

The wood shavings are a nice touch.

Last edited:
Southdowns said:
That looks really good! I thnk the white balance is spot on; nice and warm without being completely yellow. Only thing might be that the candle is a little too bright and distracts from the spork, but I'm not sure what you could have done to avoid that.

The wood shavings are a nice touch.

Hi mark I thought about taking the candle out of the shot but I think it adds to the composition and as you said no idea how to dull it down other than being a whizz at PP. thanks for the comments.

very nice shot, and clever whittling too

Hi, root, damn, it looks ike a blooming triffid :eek:. Nice detail but I'd rather the shadow wasn't there.

Handmade is a cracker. I like how it's set out, but would rather the candle was out of shot as I'd too distracting (from a JD lover :naughty:). I had a quick play with the WB and cooled it down a tad and felt it looked better.

All in all, nice submissions (y)

Cheers.

Good work on a couple of levels Phil, the spork and the photography (y)
I think the elements of the shot work well, my vote would be to keep the bottle/candle in.
Keep going with the 52!
Iain

sturisoma said:
very nice shot, and clever whittling too

Thanks summer.

ChickenDipa said:
Nice colour and nice take on the theme. Also fab craftmanship on the spork.

Much appreciated Alex.

The goblin said:
I like that, everything seems to fit just right(y)

I hope your back is better now? No heavy lifting when you move house though.

Thanks marsha, think I'm getting the hang of this composition lark. The back is great now thanks for asking. (y)

posiview said:
Hi, root, damn, it looks ike a blooming triffid :eek:. Nice detail but I'd rather the shadow wasn't there.

Handmade is a cracker. I like how it's set out, but would rather the candle was out of shot as I'd too distracting (from a JD lover :naughty:). I had a quick play with the WB and cooled it down a tad and felt it looked better.

All in all, nice submissions (y)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. I know what you mean about the shadow in root, could have maybe done with bouncing the light to reduce it. :thinking:
As for the white balance I fiddled around with the custom white balance in camera because it was too orange and also had a play in Lightroom but didn't want it too cold as I wanted to keep some of the light from the candles. Guess it comes down to personal preference. Thanks for the comments. (y)

Manc Man said:
Great shot for handmade, lighting look bang on.

Thanks for popping in Darren.

snorton said:
Cracking shot for handmade, wb spot on too, and definitely suits the picture.

Thanks for your comments Simon.

blakester said:
Good work on a couple of levels Phil, the spork and the photography (y)
I think the elements of the shot work well, my vote would be to keep the bottle/candle in.
Keep going with the 52!
Iain

Thanks Iain, loving the challenge so far, although this week is a toughy. Think it's gonna be very difficult to produce an original idea. :thinking:

Theres a few to choose from here. This is a series of shots using a piggy bank that I bought my other half for christmas, thought it would make a good subject for this theme.

MG_3755-1.jpg

MG_3756-1.jpg

MG_3760-2.jpg

Really quite like the fact that no.1 looks quite natural like i just happened across him rummaging through the under growth look for a tasty snack of coins. Although I also like background in the 2nd shot. As for the third I'm really not sure lol. What do you guys think?????

Quite like the chrome pig for money (not an easy week) good idea too placing subject in the open for a rural feel..... (y)

Manc Man said:
Money. Has to be number 1 for me, no sure about the reflections in 2 and 3.
Great idea Phil.

Thanks Darren.

michael23 said:
I would say number 2 for me. Number 1 would be spot on if the piggy wasn't as bright.

Might try and do something about that at a later date. Thanks for commenting Michael.

Blank_Canvas said:
Quite like the chrome pig for money (not an easy week) good idea too placing subject in the open for a rural feel..... (y)

Much appreciated nick. I think it worked well.

Marshall194 said:
Well I like number 1 the best but you need to clone out yourself on the pig you are on his ear and side! But that's just me being picky

Picky indeed :bang: :D

hi Phil getting round again,

Handmade is lovely, warm and a different take on the theme

Money, i like number 3, i find the grass around the money and the front of the pig distracting in one

lizzy23 said:
hi Phil getting round again,

Handmade is lovely, warm and a different take on the theme

Money, i like number 3, i find the grass around the money and the front of the pig distracting in one

Thanks for commenting Lizzy, I'm still unsure of which one to pick. :bang:

Last edited:
Ha, very good! I'm torn between 1 and 3. 1 looks nice and natural, but I prefer the composition of 3 and really like the reflection on his nose in that one. If you forced me to vote, I'd go for 3, but maybe with a bit of PP to bring it to life a little more than it is?

Southdowns said:
Ha, very good! I'm torn between 1 and 3. 1 looks nice and natural, but I prefer the composition of 3 and really like the reflection on his nose in that one. If you forced me to vote, I'd go for 3, but maybe with a bit of PP to bring it to life a little more than it is?

Thanks mark, apart from a slight crop on a couple of them I didn't do a thing so may give it a go to try and enhance them a little.

Back