Trusted grey import website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the taxes are paid or not is not even part of this topic anyway. They are going off topic.

Some people just get butthurt that someone can buy the same kit they got for 1/3 less. You want to go in a shop, unbox half the stuff and try it first before you buy? Go there next day and ask the guy the difference between jpg and raw, cool go to the shop and pay retail price.
I'll keep buying imports.

As if their cameras are "made in the UK" anyway. Probably voted brexit too.

Everyone can buy from china, you are not special, however most people have an issue breaking the law, you don't, and that's your decision.

Can I rephrase the above from:

"Some people just get butthurt that someone can buy the same kit they got for 1/3 less. "

to

"Some people just just a fraction pisched off when criminals break the law and then boast about it"

Just had a read through this whole thread, I have had many chances to get my photography stuff off the grey market but have NEVER done so. For me and only me, I just think it`s wrong sorry if that peeves off folk but I have always got from the UK like Jessops or Wex.

Can I rephrase the above from:

"Some people just get butthurt that someone can buy the same kit they got for 1/3 less. "

to

"Some people just just a fraction pisched off when criminals break the law and then boast about it"

Especially, as it seems, someone who is running their own photography business........in effect 'gaming his competition' with a much lower CODB as a result of his savings, unless of course all of his (direct/local) competition are doing the same! NB must be doing well, though, to expend £40k on gear!

Just had a read through this whole thread, I have had many chances to get my photography stuff off the grey market but have NEVER done so. For me and only me, I just think it`s wrong sorry if that peeves off folk but I have always got from the UK like Jessops or Wex.

If it's being done legitimately then i have zero problem with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ems-amazon-worst-for-aggressive-tax-avoidance

Whilst this is allowed to go on and the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg continue to avoid tax through off shore tax havens I’ll continue to save myself a few hundred quid on my hobby using the likes of E-Infinity. I would prefer it that the government of the day would see fit to set up business taxes and like such that our UK bricks and mortar we’re a lot more competitive but that doesn’t seem to be any day soon.

Post Covid when this country is going to need every penny it can get I may review this policy but not if big corporations continue to not pay their share of the burden.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ems-amazon-worst-for-aggressive-tax-avoidance

Whilst this is allowed to go on and the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg continue to avoid tax through off shore tax havens I’ll continue to save myself a few hundred quid on my hobby using the likes of E-Infinity. I would prefer it that the government of the day would see fit to set up business taxes and like such that our UK bricks and mortar we’re a lot more competitive but that doesn’t seem to be any day soon.
Post Covid when this country is going to need every penny it can get I may review this policy but not if big corporations continue to not pay their share of the burden.

Avoidance and evasion, different things, None of the examples above, unlike yourself are breaking the law, but hey, you justify your criminality how you see fit.

Last edited:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

NEVER done so. For me and only me, I just think it`s wrong sorry if that peeves off folk but I have always got from the UK like Jessops or Wex.
My view as well. Lets use them or we will loose them.

Avoidance and evasion, different things, None of the examples above, unlike yourself are breaking the law, but hey, you justify your criminality how you see fit.

I‘m comfortable with what I do thanks. Whilst tax avoidance may be legal it’s more than questionable morally by both the governments that allow it and the companies that are more than willing to participate. Be hey responsibility to share holders and all that.

And in response to @nandbytes just the wrong by Amazon (in my view) probably requires a few million wrongs by the average joe buying a grey import.

Its obvious people have their views on this and that’s fair enough. It’s each individual that has to look at themselves in the mirror in the morning. Overall they way myself and my close family conduct our lives, the jobs we do, the things we do for our friends, family and local community etc. far out weighs a few quid saved defrauding the excheque (in my view, again).

Morals and ethics are very interesting, when it comes to Capitalism, because by its very nature, Capitalism is 'unethical', as it relies on the exploitation of an economic system to allow some to 'profit' over others. We are now seeing how the (relatively even less regulated) 'grey' markets are stealing sales from domestic markets. The UK is in economic decline, and most imported goods will just continue to get relatively more expensive for us, as the producers become economically more powerful. So, people will seek to obtain goods at lower prices. That's life. As for taxes and stuff; well, obviously it's nice to have shops and businesses, jobs, etc, but we just have to face reality; the UK no longer has an empire, people will just get poorer. Unless there is a major change in political and economic organisation. The 'wealth' you enjoy now, you probably won't be in 20 years from now. Everything goes in circles. Rome fell, so will the West. It's only a matter of time.

We could of course start making our own goods again; that would rely on being able to obtain raw materials and a steady supply of exploitable willing labour.

Oh...

Last edited:
the UK no longer has an empire, people will just get poorer. Unless there is a major change in political and economic organisation. The 'wealth' you enjoy now, you probably won't be in 20 years from now. Everything goes in circles. Rome fell, so will the West. It's only a matter of time.

Ummmmmm. I think that your grasp of economic politics is something like forty or so years out of date.

"You are ignoring content by this member."

Lol! Probs just as well.

'Member'

Fnaar!

Last edited:
"You are ignoring content by this member."

Lol! Probs just as well.

'Member'

Fnaar!

It's strange how the people that rejoice in that also seem to post the most inaccurate garbage on the forum.

There must be some sort of correlation?

I‘m comfortable with what I do thanks. Whilst tax avoidance may be legal it’s more than questionable morally by both the governments that allow it and the companies that are more than willing to participate. Be hey responsibility to share holders and all that.

And in response to @nandbytes just the wrong by Amazon (in my view) probably requires a few million wrongs by the average joe buying a grey import.

Its obvious people have their views on this and that’s fair enough. It’s each individual that has to look at themselves in the mirror in the morning. Overall they way myself and my close family conduct our lives, the jobs we do, the things we do for our friends, family and local community etc. far out weighs a few quid saved defrauding the excheque (in my view, again).

The moral argument fails at every turn, there is not one single person or business who would not take the opportunity to pay less tax in a legal way.

The moral argument fails at every turn, there is not one single person or business who would not take the opportunity to pay less tax in a legal way.

Look this is getting way off topic but if you can’t see the problem with governments, generally of a right wing persuasion allowing large corporations to pay little to no tax on the vast profits that results in individuals like Jeff Bezos worth an estimated 140 - 150 billion dollars then I think that says more about your poor morals than mine.

What are you babbling on about? Look the fact YOU are happy to defraud the government is your issue, it has no relationship or relevance to anything else.

I‘m sorry if my babbling is confusing you. I tried to put a moral perspective between an individual “defrauding the government“ illegally of a few hundred pounds and large corporations and individuals legally paying very little tax and amassing great individual wealth. Just because it’s legal doesn’t make it right. Surely you can understand that?

I sort of get the impression though you’d be first round the witches ducking stool looking for confirmation of “Is she? Isn’t she?” “Well that’s how we do things round here you know“.

I'm not sure that "Well he did it bigger than me Guv" is a defence that would stand up very well.

I'm not sure that "Well he did it bigger than me Guv" is a defence that would stand up very well.

In a legal sense you are absolutely right and I’d fully expect to have to pay up any taxes or VAT due should the exchequer catch up with me. However I was just trying to get over that a lot more money is ”lost” to the exchequer through creative accounting and off shore tax schemes that are deemed legal and I consider there to be a moral issue with this. Probably too political an issue to be discussed fully here.

I don’t fully know Studio488‘s circumstances but it looks like he runs his own photographic business so I can’t understand if he is running a fully legitimate company and sees a competitor boasting on here of getting all his gear grey and getting a competitive advantage from doing so being pretty miffed. He however seems to carry this opprobrium to hard up hobbyists as well. Some kind of “moral high ground” as it were. I obviously have a different moral perspective on it which is fine, we are all different

Also I don’t know fully how the photographic industry is set up but it seems to generally be individuals or small companies with no Amazon type competition? If there was and he was struggling to remain in business due to the advantageous tax arrangements of this large competitor compared to himself would he be so dismissive of the difference between avoidance and evasion?

@Deleted member 92214 I noticed that you are also posting the same wrong misleading information about grey import equipment on other photography related websites over the last few days and heavily promoting e-infin.

Just for clarification Bruno, can you confirm if you are employed in some way by e-infin?

Last edited:
Ooh! Spicy...

:popcorn:

@Deleted member 92214 I noticed that you are also posting the same wrong misleading information about grey import equipment on other photography related websites over the last few days and heavily promoting e-infin.

Just for clarification Bruno, can you confirm if you are employed in some way by e-infin?

Not employed by anyone. I order my gear mostly through import sites.
Meanwhile you seem to be pushing bs about imports like "getting you into trouble" "no warranty" etc. Can you confirm you're not paid by jessops to say that?

I guess you never buy used gear then?

Think its time to put this one to bed!!

Not employed by anyone. I order my gear mostly through import sites.
Meanwhile you seem to be pushing bs about imports like "getting you into trouble" "no warranty" etc. Can you confirm you're not paid by jessops to say that?

Why are you continuing to tell outright lies Bruno?

Everything I have posted in this thread is fact, you choose to ignore this and the facts posted by other people both here and elsewhere for "unknown" reasons.

I have only posted anything about grey imports in this thread and on this website. You have posted complete lies seemingly in some sort of bid to misguide or influence other people in regards to grey imports and in particular to e-infin on several other photography websites as well as this one. For example I have seen your posts on another site were you purposely led the conversation in this direction. You also seem to be searching out discussions about grey imports on other sites and seem to offer no other sort of input.

At no point in this thread have I ever mentioned warranty at all. Perhaps you are getting confused with one of the other websites you have been posting this nonsense on.

I was also wondering why a sole trader that runs what seems to be a part time wedding photography business and a part time graphic design business needs to buy £40,000 worth of camera equipment in 12 months from e-infin? Seems a little odd. Add on the tax you avoided paying and that is 50k of equipment in the U.K. Seems a bit overkill.

J.K Rowling tells less fantasy tales than you do.

Last edited:
I guess you never buy used gear then?

what has used gear got to do with it? As most cameras are sold through the 100% legitimate channels via the authorised UK network, it stands to reason that most used gear is also non-grey.

People do not have a problem with grey imports imported correctly. The problem is that the vast majority are not, and both the original seller and the original buyer are both complicit in fraud, although the risk is mostly with the buyer.

what has used gear got to do with it? As most cameras are sold through the 100% legitimate channels via the authorised UK network, it stands to reason that most used gear is also non-grey.

People do not have a problem with grey imports imported correctly. The problem is that the vast majority are not, and both the original seller and the original buyer are both complicit in fraud, although the risk is mostly with the buyer.

Since I buy and sell used a lot I have noticed more and more grey items being sold and bought in used market. Of course sometimes you cannot tell if its grey or not and sometimes its obvious (like when they leave their e-infin receipt in the box with manuals), Some of these could of course be imported correctly but at the same time I imagine a good number of them weren't. Even shop accept grey goods in trade. Wex is the only shop that notify that a used item might be imported on their website but they are careful to say "It could be imported" since even they don't seem to be able to tell for sure.
Basically lens laundering :D

Last edited:

Most used gear on those legit sites is imported.

Why are you continuing to tell outright lies Bruno?

Everything I have posted in this thread is fact, you choose to ignore this and the facts posted by other people both here and elsewhere for "unknown" reasons.

I have only posted anything about grey imports in this thread and on this website. You have posted complete lies seemingly in some sort of bid to misguide or influence other people in regards to grey imports and in particular to e-infin on several other photography websites as well as this one. For example I have seen your posts on another site were you purposely led the conversation in this direction. You also seem to be searching out discussions about grey imports on other sites and seem to offer no other sort of input.

At no point in this thread have I ever mentioned warranty at all. Perhaps you are getting confused with one of the other websites you have been posting this nonsense on.

I was also wondering why a sole trader that runs what seems to be a part time wedding photography business and a part time graphic design business needs to buy £40,000 worth of camera equipment in 12 months from e-infin? Seems a little odd. Add on the tax you avoided paying and that is 50k of equipment in the U.K. Seems a bit overkill.

J.K Rowling tells less fantasy tales than you do.
You keep going on the "several other websites". Give us links.

I didn't buy 40k in 12 months. I bought 40k across the last few years. I upgrade equipment every year.

I'm also not a Web designer, dunno where you got that? I'm a full time photographer and film maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most used gear on those legit sites is imported.

You say that as a fact, do you have any real proof?
in my experience that's not true at all.
edit:
unless you mean imported legitimately then yes most of the camera gear is manufactured elsewhere in the world so it has to be imported but done so without defrauding the government.

Last edited:
I know specific grey import websites like e-Infin have been much discussed here - but I thought I’d ask the more general question: where do you go to buy grey imports? Is there a website you particularly trust?

I have brought from panamoz, I have recently traded in some of my gear uk and imported. Mpb advised me that my 16-80 has fungus in the optics. I emailed panamoz yesterday afternoon had a response saying send it in to nikon and send the estimate when I get it and they will transfer the money to me. The lens is 2 years old.

You keep going on the "several other websites". Give us links.

I didn't buy 40k in 12 months. I bought 40k across the last few years. I upgrade equipment every year.

I'm also not a Web designer, dunno where you got that? I'm a full time photographer and film maker.

More lies :ROFLMAO:

Jackanory tell us a story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back