weekly Walter's TP 52's 2018 Weekly Beautiful

Guard Tower.jpg

Linky

Shankill Road Graveyard, Belfast. N.Ireland. In 1834, a watchtower was built by William Sayers and Israel Milliken so families could guard new graves for a small fee. The idea was to prevent bodysnatchers from stealing ‘fresh’ remains for use in medical research.

Last edited:
Thank you Dave, wasn't easy with the sun S/W behind me (causing shadows), but this to me was the best of about 20 shots I took. lol

Hi Walter

You got two in 1 with your Sharp Guard.
I like the aged grave stones, nice colours, however the end of the wall's could be vertical.

Pete

Thank you Pete, thanks for pointing vertical wall out I can see it now, and now you mention it, it will stick with me now, so I hopefully wont make the same mistake.

Walter

Hello and welcome to the 52 challenge and good luck with the rest of your challenge.

Sharp - Is bang on for the theme, can't fault your find at all.

Guard - I like your little description to link your image to the theme, and a good find for the theme, i think maybe the image would work better in Mono.

Thank you Mandy, thought I would better add a little description as it would have been hard for others to work out what it was, will have to go up again and shoot a few in Mono as it would be a bit more spooky I think.

Walter

Hi Walter,
Sharp - Clever idea, Seems strangely at odds with the pictures you can just about make out in the background.
Guard - An excellent find / back-story for the theme. When one speaks of the Shankill Road, certainly for people of my generation, a peaceful scene isn't the first thing to come to mind.

Seems strangely at odds
Sharp - Clever idea, Seems strangely at odds with the pictures you can just about make out in the background.

Hello Tim. Thank you for looking and sharing your thoughts, your right, I will not be using that corner of room again lol, wasn't the ideal place but had to do a fairly quick shot as the subject had to go back under lock and key.
Seems strangely at odds

Walter

Animal Chess 2.jpg
Over

The verticals & angles got me on this one, anyway its game Over .... For none Chess players, the sheep moved
the Queen for check mate. My original plan was to have someone place there hand on Queen but on my own tonight and no takers.

Sheep and pigs playing chess..you are a strange man Walter. ;)

Interesting Idea Walter.

Board looks odd at the angle you have it, but perspective is hard to manage at close quarters.

I think if you had left plenty of space around the board you could have altered the perspective in photoshop if you have it.

Pete

I did find it hard to achieve a decent angle Pete, the other few I took with space hoping to get a better perspective, when I viewed on laptop the wee poor sheep's hind left leg is missing, don't have Photoshop at moment, want to really get to grips with taking good shots at moment. will work on my angle, so thanks for good advice.

Walter

Yes an odd angle, and, I guess low light and the board distanced from the BG would bring a better result.

"I am not sure the composition works but I do like your idea on the theme."
Thank you Mandy for your time to look and comments, much appreciated.

Walter

Sharp - sharp and guard in on photo
Guard - the interesting history links it to the theme nicely
Over - an unusual chess game with an audience of kittens lots to see
Thick - very vibrant and right on theme

Thank you minx for your thoughts.

1).. Never notice the two themes together when I took photo (till Pete mention it earlier).
3)..That's the door draught excluder in BG to hide the skirting board!!

Walter

Thick - right on theme and the composition works too. And I like the bright colours.

Back