Off camera flash, and torch light ... Sigma 150 (half the alphabet) macro :D

I`m pretty pleased with this one.

Week 15: Soft by Paulie W, on Flickr

In early this week ....

Soft, as a Feather.
Off camera flash, and torch light ... Sigma 150 (half the alphabet) macro :D

I`m pretty pleased with this one.

After over an hour in the kitchen with a bunch of......feathers.....I log on to TP and....I've been trumped....:bat:

Anyway, you should be happy...you've done really well. Cracking detail in the feathers and I like the colour.

I'd like to see the exposure even all over the photograph and the two dark parts upper right distract slightly.

I wonder what a nice, soft vignette would look like.

Cheers...(y)

:LOL: There`s nothing stopping you shooting your feathers, mate ...

The dark bits are the black bg, I used, as it`s actually a puffball on a stick :D
My el cheapo yanyinyong flash gave up on me, so I only had one to play with, hence the torch too, to try and even out the light. I got a couple that I applied salad dressint to, any they`re much, the much. I did think of mono, but quite liked the soft tones in this one. ...

This is my other version ..

Last edited:
Hi Paul. I like both versions, but the first would be my favourite: I love the tones and gradient. I think you need the background showing through on the right to get the shape of the feather.

Hi, Paulie, I like the colour of #1 but the detail in #2 is great. Of the 2, #1 says softer more than #2 for me.

Great show....

Cheers.

Hi Paul. I like both versions, but the first would be my favourite: I love the tones and gradient. I think you need the background showing through on the right to get the shape of the feather.

Hi, Paulie, I like the colour of #1 but the detail in #2 is great. Of the 2, #1 says softer more than #2 for me.

Great show....

Cheers.

Thanks guys (y)
I know the mono one looks a bit cold, but was playing with filters in post :LOL:
Just shoved another one in macro dept (and on flickr), should you care to have a gander :LOL:

have I been missing yours too? anyway the feather does look soft, and I prefer the colour one :clap:

No1 for me it bang on theme and says soft, I think you DOF is spot on we all have a different eye for things and it depends where you look, not to fussy with the dark right side but I’m guessing that’s the feathers coming close to the lens

Hmm, I thought I had commented on the last few weeks' entries but maybe that was on Flickr? Or maybe I really am getting old and senile.

Anyway.

Vice - Great self portrait. I like the POV and the mono conversion.

Entrance - Not something I would ever have thought of myself -- but it works.

Soft - Certainly fits the theme. For me, #1 says Soft more than #2 due to the colours and also the feathers appearing a tad spikey.

No1 for me it bang on theme and says soft, I think you DOF is spot on we all have a different eye for things and it depends where you look, not to fussy with the dark right side but I’m guessing that’s the feathers coming close to the lens

Hmm, I thought I had commented on the last few weeks' entries but maybe that was on Flickr? Or maybe I really am getting old and senile.

Anyway.

Vice - Great self portrait. I like the POV and the mono conversion.

Entrance - Not something I would ever have thought of myself -- but it works.

Soft - Certainly fits the theme. For me, #1 says Soft more than #2 due to the colours and also the feathers appearing a tad spikey.

Thank you, both :D

Hi Paulie

#1 one for me...love the tones & focus...looks soooo soft :clap:

Unusual take for 'entrance', I like the DOF and the angle.

Lovely soft feathers, I think you've got it just right. I like the detail in number two, but the colour one stands out for me(y)

Thanks, Marsha :)

Entrance - It's a good shot of the disc, good depth of colour and sharp focus. Also i like the cinemascope crop as it ties in with the disc, but withiout more of the carrier or the slot into which the disc goes, the theme is not best served.

Soft - prefer#1 as #2 is too blue for me. The autumn colours of the first really emphasise the softness of the feathers. good focus and i like the macro approach.

Entrance - It's a good shot of the disc, good depth of colour and sharp focus. Also i like the cinemascope crop as it ties in with the disc, but withiout more of the carrier or the slot into which the disc goes, the theme is not best served.

Soft - prefer#1 as #2 is too blue for me. The autumn colours of the first really emphasise the softness of the feathers. good focus and i like the macro approach.

Thanks, Alan ...

Pride ... Just made it ...

Ok crap pic, but something i`m proud of, as it`s the first time i`ve really won anything of note ...

Week 16: Pride by Paulie W, on Flickr

The winning shot is of my daughter, so two reasons to be proud :D

Rain Dancer by Paulie W, on Flickr

Maybe not the best shot but DEFINITELY something to be proud of(y) I think the photo of your daughter is superb:clap: What competition did you win?

Thanks, Marsha.

It`s entries into the camera club exhibition, which are then independantly judged, so all in all, not bad. Got two commendations too :D

Well, if it weren't for the shot it referred to d say you'd played a jockey there; not anywhere near your normal standard. However, the shot of your daughter is a stunner, so I'll let you off!

Excellent(y)

Mind you, it says prelim, is that like novice? If so I've got a loooooong way to go to even reach any sort of level that would be good enough here!!!

Yeah, Prelim` is bambi class :LOL:, But that`s just where all newbies get placed :D

Well, if it weren't for the shot it referred to d say you'd played a jockey there; not anywhere near your normal standard. However, the shot of your daughter is a stunner, so I'll let you off!

Thanks mate (y)
I was going for a bag of HomePride, but kept forgetting to buy one, so ended up with this, kind of cheat ;)

#1 for me Paulie, it has soft written all over it, obviously the feathers but I think the pastel tones say soft too. Its a simple yet very effective image, a little abstract too which works well.

I wouldn't say that your photograph for pride is crap, you're being a little harsh on yourself there. The photograph and its history really make for an interesting side story, doubly proud I can see that.

I take it that you will be moving up a level in your club as a result of your success? Iain

:clap:

And :thinking: for thinking it's crap.

It has a ballerina feel to it.

Her face make it...she looks totally in the moment.

I have to point out her left arm her her face because I can't remember the last time I found any fault in yours...

Cheers and you should be proud...:D

Hi Paul...

You got one in the end!!!..great shot of your daughter.

Very proud:)

#1 for me Paulie, it has soft written all over it, obviously the feathers but I think the pastel tones say soft too. Its a simple yet very effective image, a little abstract too which works well.

I wouldn't say that your photograph for pride is crap, you're being a little harsh on yourself there. The photograph and its history really make for an interesting side story, doubly proud I can see that.

I take it that you will be moving up a level in your club as a result of your success? Iain

:clap:

And :thinking: for thinking it's crap.

It has a ballerina feel to it.

Her face make it...she looks totally in the moment.

I have to point out her left arm her her face because I can't remember the last time I found any fault in yours...

Cheers and you should be proud...:D

Soft - the textures in both shots are amazing. Really nice pictures, #1 for me.

Pride - as everyone has said you should be very proud. Excellent take on the theme

Thanks all (y)

@ Andy .... I was meaning the inital (lead shot of my puter screen) was crap :LOL: ... I do like the one of my daughter :D

Entrance – As people have said I like the crop but I’m not seeing the entrance on this one I’m afraid

Soft – I like both but #2 jumps out to me as a cracking image. Loving the colour

Pride – As others have said it’s a great shot of your daughter. No wonder you won.

Entrance – As people have said I like the crop but I’m not seeing the entrance on this one I’m afraid

Soft – I like both but #2 jumps out to me as a cracking image. Loving the colour

Pride – As others have said it’s a great shot of your daughter. No wonder you won.

Thanks Peter (y)

Short ... Bread

Little pile of All Butter, Chocolate Chip, Shortbread Cookies :D

Shortbread by Paulie W, on Flickr

Nom nom nom, this could be a product shot, it certainly makes me want to eat one! Great DOF and detail, can't fault it(y)

:D Thanks, Marsha (y)

Back