weekly Wasn`t enjoying it anymore *52* 2012 ... Given Up

Hi Paul

Looks like I'm behind again... I keep missing your new shots as not in the title (that and because i'm flipping MILES behind all the time :D)

Authority - Spotted on flicker, what a cracking shot, great angle, love the reflection and the lighting, nice one (y)

Leave - I like that, very simple idea but very effective !!!

Hi, Paulie, Authority...saw it on Flickr and thought I'd commented. Like it. Nice and close, great composition, cracking shadow, like the 'cropping' of the top.

Leave, another good interpretation. For me, though, I'd like even more minimalism by removing both the vertical sections (left and right).

Cheers.

A very minimalist approach which I like and it meets the theme.

'Leave' - i like the stark tones and works well in mono PW. The arrow pointing down to the vast expanse of nothing works for me.

(y)

Nick

Hi Paul

Looks like I'm behind again... I keep missing your new shots as not in the title (that and because i'm flipping MILES behind all the time :D)

Authority - Spotted on flicker, what a cracking shot, great angle, love the reflection and the lighting, nice one (y)

Leave - I like that, very simple idea but very effective !!!

I like that, and agree with what Dk said. Maybe a slight crop off the bottom.

simple but good leads your eye to te exit

Hi, Paulie, Authority...saw it on Flickr and thought I'd commented. Like it. Nice and close, great composition, cracking shadow, like the 'cropping' of the top.

Leave, another good interpretation. For me, though, I'd like even more minimalism by removing both the vertical sections (left and right).

Cheers.

Thanks guys, always appreciated (y)

Hi Paulie

Leve - good imaginative idea for the theme and well shot. For me it has a bit too much dead space and i think that I might have liked to have seen it with a little more of the light seeping through more of the door to give it more detail - although that seems to conflict with other expressed views.

Hi Paulie

Leve - good imaginative idea for the theme and well shot. For me it has a bit too much dead space and i think that I might have liked to have seen it with a little more of the light seeping through more of the door to give it more detail - although that seems to conflict with other expressed views.

Cheers mate.
This was (IMO) always going to be a bit of a Marmite shot, and it was taken during an event, so couldn`t really do much in the way of composition. I would have liked someone to have used the door, but it never happened.

Random patterns in Barbed Wire ...

Random by Paulie W, on Flickr

Thanks for looking (y)

Sorry Paulie, but I don't think leave is up to your normal standards. I think it either needs more in the shot, OR needs less; maybe JUST the sign. As it is I think the rest that's there breaks the composition, which isn't as well placed as I'd expect from you either; I think this is one that might benefit from sticking strictly to the duke of thirds?

Random, I'm trying not to look until I've done mine, but you caught me off guard! It's perfect; back to your normal enviable standard I reckon! I love the colour; is it PP'd?

Last edited:
Sorry Paulie, but I don't think leave is up to your normal standards. I think it either needs more in the shot, OR needs less; maybe JUST the sign. As it is I think the rest that's there breaks the composition, which isn't as well placed as I'd expect from you either; I think this is one that might benefit from sticking strictly to the duke of thirds?

Random, I'm trying not to look until I've done mine, but you bought me off guard! It's perfect; back to your normal enviable standard I reckon! I love the colour; is it PP'd?

I agree on the Leaving shot, and knew it would be hit or miss .... Didn`t get many oppertunities, as it was at Camera Club awards night :LOL:

Cheers on Random, mate (y)

Yeah a fair bit of PP, as it was pretty void of any colour. Desaturated, then cross processed, desaturated again with a little bit of fiddling on the BG, as it goes a pinky colour in cross processing.

Random - As a subject I like barbed wire. I think this is a good image and like your choice of DoF and tones. Nice detail in the front - diminishing, works well for me and quite a random shot. Bang on theme (y)

Nick

Random - As a subject I like barbed wire. I think this is a good image and like your choice of DoF and tones. Nice detail in the front - diminishing, works well for me and quite a random shot. Bang on theme (y)

Nick

Thanks, Nick (y)

Hi, Paulie barb wire...always works well.

I like the low angle...not keen on the colour, though.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Withought messing with the colour, it was grey on grey, and not appealing IMO ...

Hi Paulie, I quite like the dark expanse in your leave shot, it high lights the exit sign for me!

Random, the colour is a little random, but I like the barbed wire, nice detail and DOF(y)

Thanks Marsha (y)

Early again ... Sitting under the umbrella, in the garden and looked up ... I liked the Sunburst, through the fabric.

Temperature by Paulie W, on Flickr

Thanks for looking (y)

Hi Paulie

catch up time for me so apologies if I malkes comments similar to those already posted .

Leave...nice n minimal ...good in mono but a little too much dead space at the bottom for me but thats a minor point

Random....liking the ppatterns of the barbed wire & the color in the wire & post...can't quite work out the BG though....for me it doesn't sit quite right , maybe a little too stark :thinking:for some reason it makes me think of POW camps .....

Temperature....like it...great capture & very unusual , as per Marsha...I'd have messed the exposure for sure !

Still coming up up with different ideas & great shots after 22 weeks ...keep up the good work mister (y)

Temperature - Very original, good to get all that detail and a bit of light to the sky still (y)

Thanks matey (y)

Hi Paulie

catch up time for me so apologies if I malkes comments similar to those already posted .

Leave...nice n minimal ...good in mono but a little too much dead space at the bottom for me but thats a minor point

Random....liking the ppatterns of the barbed wire & the color in the wire & post...can't quite work out the BG though....for me it doesn't sit quite right , maybe a little too stark :thinking:for some reason it makes me think of POW camps .....

Temperature....like it...great capture & very unusual , as per Marsha...I'd have messed the exposure for sure !

Still coming up up with different ideas & great shots after 22 weeks ...keep up the good work mister (y)

Thanks Lynne ...
The BG in Random, is actually sky. But was very grey, and went so even more in pp :D

Temperature - i like the abstract nature of your image and the starburst breaking through the material. Would be interested in seeing a variant of it in mono as i think it could work ?

Nick (y)

How on earth did you expose for temperature? It's brilliant!

The only crit I can think of if I push myself is that it doesn't have a particularly warm feel to it, which would suit it well I think. Perhaps warm the colour temperature up a bit?

Temperature, I like this, just the right amount of light coming through.

Temperature - i like the abstract nature of your image and the starburst breaking through the material. Would be interested in seeing a variant of it in mono as i think it could work ?

Nick (y)

Cheers mate .. I did try a mono, but it just greyed out on me ... I couldn`t make it work at all.

Random: Good picture.

Temperature: Brilliant shot.

It works for me.

How on earth did you expose for temperature? It's brilliant!

The only crit I can think of if I push myself is that it doesn't have a particularly warm feel to it, which would suit it well I think. Perhaps warm the colour temperature up a bit?

Thanks guys ....
Exp was centre weighted, and AE :shrug: Point n shoot :D ... With a little fiddling in PP

Temperature.....serendipitous! Not often I use that word :D

Great find and well exposed. Just something about the composition, if it was composed, that I'm not keen on. Can't put my finger on it, though :thinking:

Cheers.

Random - Sounds like you made the best from a grey shot. The colour works for me.

Temperature - Nice shot. The exposure has been well handled.

Thanks, Peter (y)

Temperature.....serendipitous! Not often I use that word :D

Great find and well exposed. Just something about the composition, if it was composed, that I'm not keen on. Can't put my finger on it, though :thinking:

Cheers.

Cheers, Andy ...
It was composed, but maybe it`s due to the ultra wide :shrug: The bottom strut is bang on a third, which kinda pull an eye to it.

Yes very unusual! Nice DOF blurring the mirror and concentrating the eye on the reflected background. The B&W conversion looks good and I'm guessing necessary to avoid distractions from everything there.

I'm guessing this isn't the sort of mirror a lady would do her make up in, unless she wants to look like a Picasso :LOL:

Yes very unusual! Nice DOF blurring the mirror and concentrating the eye on the reflected background. The B&W conversion looks good and I'm guessing necessary to avoid distractions from everything there.

I'm guessing this isn't the sort of mirror a lady would do her make up in, unless she wants to look like a Picasso :LOL:

:LOL: I don`t even wanna think about that one :LOL: Thanks, Marsha.

Interesting mirror that and I like your picture of it, works really well in black and white.

Thanks mate (y)

Neat, very neat! I think it's spot on, and the B&W suits it very well indeed :)

Back