WCMUT....what cheered me up today

I have been known to buy Christmas cards and wrapping paper just after one Christmas and store them in the loft for the following year. Not as bad as my wife who will buy all sorts of stuff during the Boxing Day sales and use them as presents for birthdays or Christmas the following year.

We do that too re wrapping paper...lol. Actually, I think a lot of people do. Last year we saw a pack of 5 rolls of quality Christmas paper reduced from £6 to 50p and my wife ,who insists I get the fake tree out of the attic each year, buys decorations for it that are drastically reduced post Christmas. Also, re cards, I recall my mum dabbing bleach on the ink-writing on the Christmas cards we received so she could re-use them being careful not to return to sender..lol. I put it down to the WW2 rationing..nothing was ever wasted.

Not so chatty once heated though! :D

Bet it screamed in the steamer/microwave though! (As an aside, we've had 2 identical puds recently - one we steamed, the other we nuked. No discernible difference in taste, texture etc..)

Had to post about the incident in town but I’m in WCMUT because my wife said we can take the Christmas tree down today when she returns from having lunch in a restaurant with a friend so, whilst she did that I enthusiastically set to taking down the fake tree ..before she’d got to the end of the road..lol. Unbelievably, when she returned she did go into the living room but didn’t notice that this 6’ tree bedecked with bargain tinsel, miniature music instruments, a mini Father Christmas, the statutory angel atop and two sets of lights, had gone. She only noticed when she later sat down in the room with a cuppa. I’ll remind her of this when she asks me to get the tree out of the attic next year..lol.

On a more serious note ...this did not cheer me up today but it didn’t annoy me WAMT either..I suppose it baffled me..WBMT but that isn’t right either. It sort of appalled me.

After returning from lunch with her friend my wife told me I needed a new pair of black casual shoes..for those not married they do that sort of thing..lol. Infact it’s worse. When we got to the shop in town my wife’s eye was caught by a rather dapper pair of mid-blue ones with an off-white sole and I was ‘directed’ to buy two pairs on the grounds that they were quality Clarke’s shoes at half price.It was a Clarke’s shop And,as with all the other retailers the sales were on. So, we‘d gone to town on the bus and after I bought the shoes we went back to the bus stop to return home and took a seat in the shelter..town centre. The seat was long so when 4 young people arrived, about 14/15 years old, one of the girls sat next to me. They don’t speak to each other because they’re engrossed in their mobile phones scrolling. My attention was drawn to the mobile of the girl next to me because I heard screaming. I looked at the screen and saw a girl of similar age to these youngsters being attacked in a street by two other girls I felt compelled to ask this girl what was going on..I said that I couldn’t help hearing that screaming and saw the video. Was that girl being beaten up ? I asked. Without any emotion in her voice she said..”Yeah”.. I asked why..’..Cos she’s a cow’..Her friends must have heard it too but just carried on scrolling on their own mobiles as did the one I spoke to after our exchange.

I didn’t know what to think. It’s fair to say that I was left bewildered...as mentioned at the start of this tale, somewhat appalled too.

I didn’t know what to think. It’s fair to say that I was left bewildered...as mentioned at the start of this tale, somewhat appalled too.
Truly appalling :(
You often hear "kids of today eh?" spoken as a :rolleyes: type comment,
but that one truly takes the title :(

WCMUT?
After several days under 100% dense cloud cover there is finally some blue up there ...
(y)

The Sun's actually shining here!

The Sun's actually shining here!
Well how about sharing then? :p

But of course it was bound to change, being a back to work day tomorrow :rolleyes:

WCMUT mkII
It looks like my arse hole of an opposite neighbour maybe finally on the move, the house has been sold for months,
But now things are being brought out of the house and loaded into trailers ... Its a start (y)

WCMUT.
Some bloke has taken away (nicked) the exercise bike our lazy neighbours had dumped outside on Christmas Eve.
Still have the bloody great tv stand outside our front door though.

Truly appalling :(
You often hear "kids of today eh?" spoken as a :rolleyes: type comment,
but that one truly takes the title :(

Yes, that’s true..you do hear that very often ..”kids of today” but to throw them a lifeline I’ve read about and seen on tv some truly remarkable achievements by youngsters. I don’t mean in sports and the like but good community work that really makes a difference and there’s one category of youngster to whom my heart really goes out..the carer .They are so selfless, never complain..(suffer in silence,I’m sure) and are denied the normal life of a youngster and as far as I’m aware, most time’s they don’t get much help from government/Local Authorities with the latter struggling with government cuts. To be honest, I find some of the consequences of austerity for vulnerable people (such as young carers as well as older ones for example ) quite distressing.

I found these two links re the achievements of children. The first has 9 pages but once you start reading you’re compelled to carry on to page 9. I found it all a bit humbling.

https://www.prideofbritain.com/component/k2/content/child-of-courage

https://www.wellchild.org.uk/awards/

This article outlines the problems faced by young carers and I found it quite disturbing that some are under the age of 5. It’s mentioned about half-way down the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/27/young-carers-no-council-support-childrens-commissioner-england-st

WCMU today was reading that wildlife photographer Gordon Buchanan received an MBE for his contribution to wildlife photography and conservation ,almost on a par with David Attenborough. I mentioned to my wife a while ago that I think he should get an MBE or OBE. He’s made so many fantastic films notably about the life of bears. He even took a bear hunter,USA, with him to see bear cubs with mom. The hunter had no idea that the family of bears had emotions and saw a caring,protective mum. They were used to Gordon and the man had never been so close to bears . His experience led him to,stop hunting bears and went into schools giving talks about them and urging protection. Trump passed this law in 2017. https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/publications/earthonline/endangered-earth-online-no874.html

On Sunday evening I watched Gordon Buchanan in Russia with a man who rescues lynx from domestic captivity and breeders who sell them as pets or worse, into the fur trade. Unbelievably all legal. When they grow to big for an urban apartment people sell them for approximately £800.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...ce-as-rescued-lynx-family-returns-to-the-wild

WCMUT was perfect timing. Drove along the coast to Lyme Regis in the dry, top down, missing all the usual traffic, found an almost perfect parking space, got a window seat in the café for lunch, had a clear run home, found a loading bay to loiter in while Mrs Nod collected a deliver-to-store order in town and got home in time for coffee.

Catching a fox and hedgehog on video together in the gardens last night, taking absolutely no notice of each other.
A couple of months ago there was a mutilated hedgehog found dead in another garden and everyone is now convinced
that the foxes are killing them and want to prevent them from visiting.
Yes I do know that it can happen, but that is the first that has been found for as long as I have lived here

Catching a fox and hedgehog on video together in the gardens last night, taking absolutely no notice of each other.
A couple of months ago there was a mutilated hedgehog found dead in another garden and everyone is now convinced
Yes I do know that it can happen, but that is the first that has been found for as long as I have lived here
Haven’t seen a hedgehog in the garden for a long time unfortunately I think it’s due to the road at the bottom of our garden being very busy now they have built a lot of houses in the village over the last ten years or so

We see the same on our trail camera. We haven't recorded many encounter between foxes and hedgehogs and while they appear to notice each other, well the fox does, I'm not sure the hedgehog notices anything, they always ignore each other. It is the same with the local cat that visits the garden at night. One night the cat was sitting very still close to where the mice live but had to move as the hedgehog walked into it.

Always good to see what is wandering around in the garden at night.

Dave

It's fascinating and addictive
They were close to each other but didn't seem to mind.
One very loud firework went off when the fox was about and it virtually ignored that too
I reckon rural foxes would be a bit more concerned

As per WAMT post, phone did a security update and bricked.

4GB less used in storage (all the same apps, all data restored) - go figure

We see the same on our trail camera. We haven't recorded many encounter between foxes and hedgehogs and while they appear to notice each other, well the fox does, I'm not sure the hedgehog notices anything, they always ignore each other. It is the same with the local cat that visits the garden at night. One night the cat was sitting very still close to where the mice live but had to move as the hedgehog walked into it.

Dave

I‘d have thought it more likely that a badger was responsible for any hedgehog deaths. We had a hedgehog visit each evening at dusk in the summer and a badger got it. There was a loud banging noise coming from our side passage one night ..about 2.00am...at that time and I went to investigate to find a badger trying to gnaw a hole in the wooden gate which would give it access to the front drive . I went to the front of the house and banged on the side gate which caused the badger to run down the passageway and down the back garden and away.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/predators/

I‘d have thought it more likely that a badger was responsible for any hedgehog deaths.

No badgers seen here, and I'm not the only one that uses a trailcam, no setts nearby either

1) New Work boots ordered yesterday (Fri) afternoon, ETA Monday ( at some point)
Arrived today before midday that's a result (y)

2) arrogant twatt opposite that loves to double park, or park to "obstruct"
Has finally gone (y)

3) they say stuff comes in 3's off the play the lottery :D

Some people would moan about the early delivery - "I was out so missed it and have to collect from the depot..."

Oh - and good luck with the lottery!!!

Some people would moan about the early delivery - "I was out so missed it and have to collect from the depot..."
I was just on my way out, and thought I'll check the tracking, justin case and low and behold it was just around the corner (y)

Oh - and good luck with the lottery!!!
If you don't ever hear from me again, you know I won :D

Fingers crossed!

I was just on my way out, and thought I'll check the tracking, justin case and low and behold it was just around the corner (y)

If you don't ever hear from me again, you know I won :D
Surely we'll read the post in the GAS thread when your new butler posts?

WCMUT - finding the centre column monopod for my Manfrotto 055C (of the first creation) in the loft.

Read an article in my newspaper today which really did cheer me up.

British woodland cover has returned to medieval levels thanks to 20th. Century forestry and the ’rewilding’ trend.

The area is about 3.19 million hectares according to the Forestry Commission which translates to 13% of the land area. ..or 10% of England, 15% of Wales, 19% of Scotland and 8% of Northern Ireland. That is up from 5% in 1919 when the Commission was established and is equivalent to the levels in the Middle Ages.,which ranged from 15% of England at the time of the Doomsday Book..(1086) to 6-13% by 1300. .Coverage in Scotland is considerably higher than in medieval times when 4% was wooded. Contrary to popular perception, historians say that swathes of Britain were cleared for farming during the Bronze Age as early as 2000-1000 BC.

It also has to be good news for wildlife.

Went for a road test on a Honda Silver Wing as I am going to sell my GT1050 Sprint (I think, too big, too heavy), hated it, so that gets the "shall I get a scooter" itch out of the way, next up is an NCX 750 CDT next week. I need something with either a very light clutch, or no clutch at all.

British woodland cover has returned to medieval levels thanks to 20th. Century forestry and the ’rewilding’ trend.

The area is about 3.19 million hectares according to the Forestry Commission which translates to 13% of the land area. ..or 10% of England, 15% of Wales, 19% of Scotland and 8% of Northern Ireland. That is up from 5% in 1919 when the Commission was established and is equivalent to the levels in the Middle Ages.,which ranged from 15% of England at the time of the Doomsday Book..(1086) to 6-13% by 1300. .Coverage in Scotland is considerably higher than in medieval times when 4% was wooded. Contrary to popular perception, historians say that swathes of Britain were cleared for farming during the Bronze Age as early as 2000-1000 BC.

Good news indeed.
On the down side, 5 million hectares have burned in Australia since August.

Any idea how much is broadleaf and how much is conifers? Ireland had a huge percent of coniferous forests which are really poor for most wildlife.

Dell Laptop turned up today, looks like new, goes like stink. Well happy.

Back